Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

TRR wrote: »
    Tallaght club sessions would sort that 5k speed out for you! Oh wait .............................. :)

Haha thats funny I realised id left the door wide open for that about 30 sec after posting. Should have gone for the quick edit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

What sort of mileage would you typically do during a marathon plan? Easy week, big week etc...

It depends on whether he's being Stan Collymore or a Novice wanker :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

What sort of mileage would you typically do during a marathon plan? Easy week, big week etc...

Builds up gradually but I work in 4 week blocks. 3 weeks hard 1 week easy. Try get a race in on the easier week. For Dublin last year peaked at 80ish mile weeks did 2 blocks of those so 6 * 80 mile weeks. With easy weeks circa mid 50s. Blocks before those two would have been 3 * 70 and 3 * 65 with 50 mile recovery weeks. Not the highest mileage around here but more than I'm given credit for. I think there is an opinion I do fcuk all :) will look to build on max mileage weeks towards 90ish this year. I'm determined to nail this 2.30 monkey on my back but am not stupid enough to push it too hard so an injury rears its ugly head. It's a bit of a balancing act so we will see how it pans out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Builds up gradually but I work in 4 week blocks. 3 weeks hard 1 week easy. Try get a race in on the easier week. For Dublin last year peaked at 80ish mile weeks did 2 blocks of those so 6 * 80 mile weeks. With easy weeks circa mid 50s. Blocks before those two would have been 3 * 70 and 3 * 65 with 50 mile recovery weeks. Not the highest mileage around here but more than I'm given credit for. I think there is an opinion I do fcuk all :) will look to build on max mileage weeks towards 90ish this year. I'm determined to nail this 2.30 monkey on my back but am not stupid enough to push it too hard so an injury rears its ugly head. It's a bit of a balancing act so we will see how it pans out.

Thats what I thought, thats why I asked! :pac:

Sunday: 6 recovery miles around 7.30 pace. Nightmare sleep wise with the youngest and some gob****e neighbours having a party. Didn't get out until after 8pm, was going to knock it on the head as I was so tired but was grand once I got out the door. ~65ish miles for the week which is the most I've done in a while, hope to hold and build on this slightly over the next 3 weeks. Taking a handy week the end of May as I'm heading abroad for a wedding.

• Advertisement

Monday: 18 miles @ 7.30 pace. Friend of mine was doing last long run before Kildare and was looking for company so I joined him for a planned 14 miles but decided to keep going with him. Don't know if it was the more relaxed pace than normal but my legs felt great afterward. Not a lot gained aerobically but good for conditioning (i.e burning fat :))

Tuesday: 9 miles @ 6.50 pace. Legs feel A1 Sharon. However I picked up a bit of man flu over the weekend and it's being getting worse. Feel a bit miserable at the moment. Thankfully it's more of a head cold so with a bit of luck it will clear up soon enough.

I'm off to think of a new name for my log now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

l

The long road to Donadea....:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Digger would have a field day with that one...........

Digger would have a field day with that one...........

I'm off to think of a new name for my FLOG now.

ha yeah, will get in before him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ultraman1 wrote: »
    The long road to Donadea....:p

You just never give up do you? Have to give you credit for that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

How can IV be the decider? Was there a draw at some stage??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

belcarra wrote: »

Its just a catchy name. He will be back for round 5 and then wait 20 years and come back for round 6 and break his hip :D

Jesus you guys are on the ball today. And there was thinking my log got no love. Must have been the promise of some filth.

The first time I ran Dublin I ran an absolute perfect race, I was only new to marathon running and ran every single mile between 6.55-7.05. Was delighted with it but missed out on sub 3 (wasn't an actual prerace goal) so I decided that was a draw. I thought I came out on top but a week later I seen it as an opportunity lost.

Second time I ran it, I got the **** knocked out of me and ended up having a hissy fit around the merrion shopping centre kicking and throwing traffic cones around the place. Was an awful day and my best friend who was cycling with me didn't talk to me for a couple of days after the abuse he (Undeservedly) shifted.

Third time was last year where everything went to plan, lost time on the first half but spanked the second half and ran an unexpected PB

Based on the above we are 1.5 each by my reckoning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Second time I ran it, I got the **** knocked out of me and ended up having a hissy fit around the merrion shopping centre kicking and throwing traffic cones around the place.

I soooo wish there was a youtube clip of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Second time I ran it, I got the **** knocked out of me and ended up having a hissy fit around the merrion shopping centre kicking and throwing traffic cones around the place. Was an awful day and my best friend who was cycling with me didn't talk to me for a couple of days after the abuse he (Undeservedly) shifted.
    JB was just talking about this yesterday, Don't think he'll ever get over it. :)

I soooo wish there was a youtube clip of that!

Thankfully it was just before the smartphone era!!!! Was not very pretty

shels4ever wrote: »
    JB was just talking about this yesterday, Don't think he'll ever get over it. :)

ha ha, really? The fcuker told me to drop out at one stage, some support man he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Jesus you guys are on the ball today. And there was thinking my log got no love. Must have been the promise of some filth.

The first time I ran Dublin I ran an absolute perfect race, I was only new to marathon running and ran every single mile between 6.55-7.05. Was delighted with it but missed out on sub 3 (wasn't an actual prerace goal) so I decided that was a draw. I thought I came out on top but a week later I seen it as an opportunity lost.

Third time was last year where everything went to plan, lost time on the first half but spanked the second half and ran an unexpected PB

Based on the above we are 1.5 each by my reckoning

Might regret this, but what went wrong on year 2?

ha ha, really? The fcuker told me to drop out at one stage, some support man he was.

Yep, he says he just told you that you were still in for 2:52/3 if you kept going :). The fecker nearly killed me yesterday.

Might regret this, but what went wrong on year 2?

I was a lazy sod and didn't do enough runs. I'd trained like a demon the first half of the year and thought I'd get away with not doing longer stuff during the summer. I was racing lots and thought that would be enough. Sounds ridiculous but I wasn't as all knowing as I am now :)
    Yep, he says he just told you that you were still in for 2:52/3 if you kept going :). The fecker nearly killed me yesterday.

I ran 2.51!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

You have to provide more details of the merrion meltdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I dont wanna jinx you or anything but I think you'll go sub 2:30 in october. Paul did it last year (and Im pretty sure I would've aswell had I not gotten injured)and you, me and paul would be around the same level so I just think its there for the taking if you can keep yourself in one piece, which to be fair, you seem to be able to do a lot of the time.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    You have to provide more details of the merrion meltdown.

Ah nothing more to tell really. Had ran a spring marathon and was very strong, raced lots over the summer but neglected a good few long runs and raced instead. Dublin rolled around and I went out at PB pace and was wrecked by 15 miles, bit of a walk at 17. Friend was beside me on the bike asking did I want water etc, I told him to fcuk off. I then wanted water around Merrion and he had the cheek ;) to have stopped a bit back to talk to somebody spectating. When he caught back up with me I vented my frustration on him, started beating up a few traffic cones and temporary lights, had a total fit like a toddler and blamed his absence at that key point for my breakdown. Missing my PB by 90 seconds and I reckon fit took 3-4 minutes so if I had of kept a cool head I would have ran a PB :) Lesson learned
    tunguska wrote: »
    I dont wanna jinx you or anything but I think you'll go sub 2:30 in october. Paul did it last year (and Im pretty sure I would've aswell had I not gotten injured)and you, me and paul would be around the same level so I just think its there for the taking if you can keep yourself in one piece, which to be fair, you seem to be able to do a lot of the time.

No jinx. I'm more than capable of running sub 2.30. I know that, that's not me being cocky. All I need to do is train properly, stay fit and run smart. As you said people around my level have done it, whats more, in my old club when I was a teenager back in the mid-early 90s I use to train with 2 marathon runners (amongst others). One ran 2.26 the other 2.18 (both in Dublin). In terms of running ability etc they were no better than me. They worked damned hard though, harder than I have to date and that's what I have to do now. These times are artificial time barriers. We build them up to something they're not. Maybe I won't break 2.30, maybe I might just scrape a PB but sure I'll give it a lash.

For those of you worrying about my manflu you will be delighted to hear I'm through the worst of it. All joking aside Mrs TRR had the exact same bug as me Monday morning, we both had sore throats and noses, both our symptoms match each other today, blocked sinus etc but I swear to god I look and sound 100 times worse than her. I wouldn't be one to moan or go to the doctor but I was close this morning. There must be something to this manflu thing. I'm opening myself to lots of female abuse but bring it on ladies ;)

Wednesday: am 6 miles @ 7 minute pace. pm 4 miles recovery @ 7.50 pace. Cracking day for running did a few miles at lunch time along the canal, could have run all day it was so nice. Headed down to track to watch the graded meet and then did a few easy miles while I was waiting for the mens 3k to start. Great racing all round and a great start to the summer weather wise. Long may it continue :)

Weekly weigh in this morning I've lost 6lbs in 3 weeks, I'm back down to my Dublin 2012 marathon weight. There's more to come off but I expect the loss will be a bit more gradual over the coming months. No major changes to diet, I've basically cut out bread altogether and most crap although I cracked the other night and milled a packet of Cadbury mini eggs out of it. Delsih.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Jaysus, that's a massive weight shift in three weeks, on 60-70 miles per week. You should probably eat more mini-eggs. :) Haven't you got a 5k this weekend? Be interesting to see if you notice any difference from the St Patricks MSB 5k, which was around five weeks ago, right?

Jaysus, that's a massive weight shift in three weeks, on 60-70 miles per week. You should probably eat more mini-eggs. :) Haven't you got a 5k this weekend? Be interesting to see if you notice any difference from the St Patricks MSB 5k, which was around five weeks ago, right?

Yep that's my thinking. Only minor concern regards this weekend is I'm carrying a bit of a sinus infection. Nothing serious but would be noticeable in an all out 5k. Fingers crossed it will feck off.

Thursday: 8ish miles at a decent clip. Didn't bother with a watch, headed out with running partner and before I knew it we had covered 8 miles. Plan was to do another 4 in the evening but I forgot Mrs TRR had something on and it would be 10pm before she got back. If I was in a marathon cycle properly I would have done it, but I felt sleepy and was worried that a 10 pm run would mean no sleep until after midnight so took the executive decision to watch the football and have a beer instead :D

Just thinking about this I'm probably only down 3lbs relative to MSB race as I lashed into the Easter eggs the last few weeks so had a put a bit of unwanted padding on :)

Is it just me or has the decent running conditions the last few days just everybody a massive lift? Really hope we get a decent summer, we're not heading away on a sun holiday apart from a weekend in Spain in My and I can't handle another wet and cold few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just thinking about this I'm probably only down 3lbs relative to MSB race as I lashed into the Easter eggs the last few weeks so had a put a bit of unwanted padding on :)

Is it just me or has the decent running conditions the last few days just everybody a massive lift? Really hope we get a decent summer, we're not heading away on a sun holiday apart from a weekend in Spain in My and I can't handle another wet and cold few months.
    Thanks be to feck for Easter, or you'd have faded away to nothing! Definitely some kind of Freudian egg oedipus-type fixation going on though. Yeah, it's deadly seeing the end of the wind/rain combo sucker-punch. It makes me want to spend more time outdoors (not gardening though!). Even the bike got it's first look-in of the year, when I cycled to work this morning. Long may it last. My colleagues in the US got a dump of snow yesterday. They're very pissed off. We always think we have it really bad!

Not sure where you were running got pissed on and froze on this afternoons run.

• Advertisement

Not sure where you were running got pissed on and froze on this afternoons run.

today weather changed a bit sll right although no rain out here and even a bit of sunshine.You should bear in mind the sun shines out of my arse though so there is a constant glow in my locality :)

Friday: 7.5 ham and cheesy miles @ 7.15 pace. Discussed the linear regression model (and pitfalls) associated with the McMillian calculator and the evolution of sensory networks in animals on today's run. My old running buddies use to talk about Man Utd :)

Advertisement