Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2016: Back to Basics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

RayCun wrote: »
    Who is that supposed to be, smiling and waving at spectators like that?

Pfffffttttt call it artistic licence. Sure anybody who is smiling during a race isn't working hard enough. Plenty of time to smile at the finish when a pb is in the back pocket. Surely smiling has a negative impact on aerodynamics now I think of it. Those lack of smiles are probably responsible for my massive 17 second PB :)

50+ mile week. Nothing major to report. Didn't wear the watch. Slammed in work and at home at the minute so just getting what I can in. Happy with weekly total as I really had to work to fit in 3 of last weeks runs. Could have been lazy and not done them but my date in April with the fat Aussie had me motivated to do something no matter how insignificant ;)

Mon: 7 miles on canal
    Tue: 9 miles with company nice and handy
    Wed: 8 miles easy with company on trails
    Thurs: 7 absolute bonus miles, was supposed to be working 9-6 straight through and had stuff on in the evening so was resigned to no run however got a break in the day and was out of the blocks like a man possessed, delighted to get this run in.
    Fri: 8 miles solo on canal and trail very enjoyable
    Sat: 6 miles early run in the morning before anybody woke up and destroyed my chances of getting a run in.
    Sun: 8+ miles jogged to Marlay park to catch end of BHAA XC and ran a few handy miles with thirstwork2.

Good start to the week 10 tasty miles both Monday and Tuesday. Pulled something in my back, nothing major but can't run a step. Can function in every other way. Have had it seen to and just need to rest it. Very frustrating as was getting back into the grove but c'est la vie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

TRR wrote: »
    Good start to the week 10 tasty miles both Monday and Tuesday. Pulled something in my back, nothing major but can't run a step. Can function in every other way. Have had it seen to and just need to rest it. Very frustrating as was getting back into the grove but c'est la vie.

Sorry to hear that TRR. Hope you back out on the roads soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

And what about the back ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

digger2d2 wrote: »
    And what about the back ;):D

hairy_back.jpg

ultraman1 wrote: »

Another one from your personal collection?

The title says it all!!! So where am I at? Long time, no post and there's a reason. I'm not enjoying my running, simple as. I actually want to pack it in and do something else totally. I was a gym bunny for a while, and working on the guns again is something I wouldn't mind getting back to. I won't give all the gory details but between injuries,work,family and the fcuking weather, running these days is a chore not a hobby. I've felt like this a couple of times in the past and it has passed but something is different this time :confused: my only consolation is that I have a huge desire to run fast times (relative to me) over certain distances so I'm hoping that addiction to progress gets me back on track sometime in the future. I'm actually worried, 5 years ago my goal was to run sub 2.40, I've done that 3 times in 13 months. I'm not satisfied with that but maybe somewhere in my psyche there is something telling me to ease off. Even more so with relation to how crocked I feel every morning getting out of bed and the time I have to put in stretching before going to bed so I can get a pain free sleep :(

I'm not looking for encouragement from anyone so don't bother posting it. I thought I'd post this to show that even somebody who loves running can get pissed off with it and hopefully a month from today I'll have a different perspective. Until then I'll be absent from this log but hopefully training away.

TRR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

I'm not looking for encouragement from anyone so don't bother posting it. I thought I'd post this to show that even somebody who loves running can get pissed off with it and hopefully a month from today I'll have a different perspective. Until then I'll be absent from this log but hopefully training away.

TRR

No encouragement but I can offer empathy. Body is rebelling on me at the moment and the doubts are creeping into the head. Can I not just run 10 miles 3 times a week to keep fit, happily tip around the odd fun run in 39 minutes and enjoy the benefits of not being committed to running?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What has enjoyment got to do with anything? :)

Perhaps time to start thinking about a 400m or 800m, which would fit in well with some gym time (and sure you'd only have to run for around 12 minutes every week ;)). Enjoy the break. Don't become too much of a muscle mary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

The title says it all!!! So where am I at? Long time, no post and there's a reason. I'm not enjoying my running, simple as. I actually want to pack it in and do something else totally. I was a gym bunny for a while, and working on the guns again is something I wouldn't mind getting back to. I won't give all the gory details but between injuries,work,family and the fcuking weather, running these days is a chore not a hobby. I've felt like this a couple of times in the past and it has passed but something is different this time :confused: my only consolation is that I have a huge desire to run fast times (relative to me) over certain distances so I'm hoping that addiction to progress gets me back on track sometime in the future. I'm actually worried, 5 years ago my goal was to run sub 2.40, I've done that 3 times in 13 months. I'm not satisfied with that but maybe somewhere in my psyche there is something telling me to ease off. Even more so with relation to how crocked I feel every morning getting out of bed and the time I have to put in stretching before going to bed so I can get a pain free sleep :(

TRR

I can understand where you're coming from but I just think one decent performance and your mojo will come back to you. And if it doesnt so what, **** it theres always golf.

Sorry to hear the mojos at a low ebb. Enjoy the little break. Good time of year to do it. Hopefully youd be on for a run when i get back.

Just been ticking over last 3 weeks averaging 50 mile weeks with no sessions. Mojo slowly returning so decided to run a 10k today to see where I am at. Plan was for sub 35 reckoned that would put me in a good position for sub 34 in April. Didn't look at watch and just went with the leaders, went through 5k in 16.30 and then battled the last 5k to take 3rd in 33.20. Second fastest 10k time I've ever ran. eh where the fcuk did that come from. Must be horse steroids in the burger I had earlier in the week.

claralara and digger also ran very well although CL had to undergo a gender test by race officials before they gave her 3rd lady ;)

PS I recently entered a bullsh*t vet category (O35) but I'm a whore for a PB so I'll claim that as a vet PB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Good to see you got your head out of your a*s Dave;)

Smashing time, should give you the positive feeling that you need to push on. A bit of sharpening and suddenly your in the 32's.

Thanks for your words of encouragement Ian. The thoughts of beating you, Gary and Joe kept the light burning die my lowest ebb in January ;)

Well done in Donadea today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Mojo slowly returning so decided to run a 10k today to see where I am at.
    Great time Dave, unreal!! Out of interest what 10k was it, the only one I could find for today was mount Juliet which was great but a b1tch of a course!!

neilc wrote: »
    Great time Dave, unreal!! Out of interest what 10k was it, the only one I could find for today was mount Juliet which was great but a b1tch of a course!!

Rathcoffey. Between maynooth and clane. Small race was advertised locally. Was originally on runireland website until they got messed up with active Europe so no longer listed there.

Thats just indecently fast. Off nae speedwork too. Great stuff.

I wish id lost my mojo

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Losing your mojo is the new 'finding your mojo'. Congrats. That's a brilliant time. Just sad that we didn't get to meet during your 'fat Elvis' years. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Excellent running, impressive stuff.

• Advertisement

Thats just indecently fast. Off nae speedwork too. Great stuff.

Thanks. I've thought about this before and have come to the conclusion that for 10km upwards I get more out of working on my aerobic base than my speed. I think I'm lucky enough to have decent basic speed but my speed endurance and stamina is something that has historically been weak. I've worked on that the last few years and I'm much stronger than I use to be. I'm not saying I don't need to do speed work, (I will inevitably have to, to bring my times into the 32s) but at the moment I get more bang for my buck from plain old aerobic running with the odd session thrown in. I am also prone to injuries when I run too fast in training so that is something I weigh up before attacking a session. This is something my old juvenile coach actually pointed out to me when I was in my teens so maybe I've been biased by his view.
    Just sad that we didn't get to meet during your 'fat Elvis' years. :)

Don't worry there is a fat man bursting to get out. I'm sure we'll see him in the next few years.

Last weeks training

Mon: 8 miles @ 7.25 along canal.

Tue: 11 miles along canal @ 7.15 pace. Lovely run. No wind thanks feck

Wed: late 9 miles @ 7.20, few a few of those miles with ecoli. Wasn't in the mood for this one but was grand once I got going

Thurs: 6 miles easy on canal

Fri: 6 miles easy on canal

Sat: Race. Toss up whether I'd run this (really didn't want to) or do 15 miles in Donadea with a friend. Decided I needed a kick up the hole and was delighted with the outcome. I'm still scratching my head with how well I ran but a few things come to mind.

1) I've had 3 decent weeks of easy running and obviously strength of 2 sub 2.40 marathons in 2012 is still in the legs.
    2) I had nothing to lose so just went for it.
    3) I ignored the watch until the 5km mark, seen split of 16.30 and would have been happy if I had of stopped there and then. I had set that as a target for a 5k on St patrick's day. Ignored watch again until the end of the race.
    4) I love racing and think I grind out a few extra % than my training deserves. The second half of the course was tougher than the first half (out and back, back was into the wind) and I hung on like one of Mike Tyson's entourage when times were good.
    Sun: 11 handy miles around Marlay with a couple of friends. Legs fooked.com but had the opportunity of doing an unexpected longer run than planned so grabbed it, nice to catch up over a leisurely 90 minute run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

. Decided I needed a kick up the hole.

there would of been a que out the gate in Donadea with people happy to oblige:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

claralara and digger also ran very well although CL had to undergo a gender test by race officials before they gave her 3rd lady ;)

:)

Well, Caster Semenya's been getting away with it ;)

Monday: 7 easy miles along the canal ~7.30 pace. Legs in an absolute heap. Definitely raced above my current fitness ability as I'm having trouble walking :)

Tuesday: 8ish easy miles in glorious morning sunshine. Legs feeling a little better although still nice and tired. Had great company and could have ran another 8 miles the banter was so good. Just getting it done in the wind and poxy rain of January make runs like todays all the better. Easy running for the rest of the week on the cards although I hope to get a longish one in tomorrow or Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

PS I recently entered a bullsh*t vet category (O35) but I'm a whore for a PB so I'll claim that as a vet PB :)

I can't believe it's come to that. :D
    I think Carlos Lopes in '85 at the grand old age of 38 claimed a vet PB when he lowered the marathon WR to 2:07.

Great running altogether, you fecking savage. Let me know where you sourced those horse burgers from

Wednesday: 14ish miles @ 7.20 pace. Super day for a run. Legs feeling a good bit better. They are still a tiny bit tired and I can still feel a bit of muscle damage there from the race on Saturday. Regardless pace felt A1 Sharon and had company again which was a super bonus. Apparently the next few days are going to be cold and bright. Perfect running conditions for running if you ask me. The dark poxy windy days of January are a distant memory now :) hopefully it stays that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Abhainn wrote: »
    I can't believe it's come to that. :D
    I think Carlos Lopes in '85 at the grand old age of 38 claimed a vet PB when he lowered the marathon WR to 2:07.

This is true. Meb Keflezighi's run in the olympic marathon last year wasn't bad either for an M35 category athlete. Word is he's going again in 2016.

tunguska wrote: »
    This is true. Meb Keflezighi's run in the olympic marathon last year wasn't bad either for an M35 category athlete. Word is he's going again in 2016.

There's hope yet :) in reality my PBs from 10k-marathon are all in my cross hairs this year and if things go tits up and least I'll have O35 PBS ;)

Thursday: pushed for time and body a little tired so 6 handy miles. Was a cold day and the wind nearly cut me in two didn't enjoy this.

Friday: Work is a little crazy at the moment so only time I'd get to run was early in the morning. Managed t get out and ran a really comfortable 9.5 miles @ 7.15 pace. Legs felt the best they have in ages. Now they should as I've been running easy all week but I'm running niggle free at the moment which is nice.

Saturday: Had planned out day with military precision to fit in family, work and a run but left stuff in the office that I need so wasted 90 minutes retrieving that and things went tits up the rest of the day. Managed to squeeze in 6 miles @ 6.40 pace. A little less than I hoped but I'm looking on them as bonus miles now as was an effort to find the time for them.

Not sure how tomorrow and Monday will go but hope to do something both days fingers crossed

• Advertisement

Sunday: 12 miles @ 7 minute pace. Struggled to get out the door. Very tired mentally, late to bed and was up with kids during night also. Option was to either grab some extra sleep or get a run in. Went with the run as sleep is for pussies :rolleyes:

Advertisement