Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairc Ui Chaoimh re-development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

If that's the case the whole design should be reviewed now, I think the main stand should be scaled down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

The_Banker wrote: »
    Page 2 of yesterday's Echo states that the terraces are coming down also due to corrossion of the steel within the concrete..

How they didn't know that after the it was discovered in the uncovered stand isn't conceivable.

Outside of the planning implications of this the cost will absolutely soar now...

It needs a redesign and possibly a new planning application, which will a cost a bit and delay things a year or two, but not much in the bigger scheme of things.

Since its now a totally levelled site, its very possibly that they could claw some of these overruns back with a more balanced more refined design, with say a lower main stand and a higher north stand and terrace. It can now be built using the a more off the shelf method that so many stadiums in the uk and germany have been built using and recently ravenhill.

Visual impact would be greatly reduced and overall its would look more elegant and could be something to actually be proud of, it should get through planning no bother considering they signed off on the current heap of **** design.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

if a re-design is need I hope they get rid of the wood idea on the outside.... twould look terrible in a few years after been built

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Interesting article here on the structure of the King Power stadium. Something that Cork GAA would need to take note of regardless of what option they choose now

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicester-City-s-plan-expand-King-Power-Stadium/story-26705268-detail/story.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Interesting article here on the structure of the King Power stadium. Something that Cork GAA would need to take note of regardless of what option they choose now

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicester-City-s-plan-expand-King-Power-Stadium/story-26705268-detail/story.html

Its common practice now to factor in resonance from crowd movement , it was less so when King Power was built. Remember going to a lecture about Thomond and it was certainly factored in there. I actually don't think that gigs are that bad , people in seats at gigs tend to be a bit more reserved than people on the ground. Stadiums are designed to have a good bit of give, its only when lads jump up and down , do the poznan where that give becomes obvious and a bit scarey

This is an extreme example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

There was significant parts of the Blackrock end terrace down when I passed this morning and there were large machinery in there working on it. The sections were similar to what is down on the City end terrace.

Also, on the City end terrace there was more down on the very bottom tier.

Looks like it's gradually all coming down to me.

It's to be demolished completely now, not surprised really leaving a 40 year old crumbling terrace would have been insane. Who's paying for the extra construction will be interesting though

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I assume that as soon as they started knocking the main stands that they must have realised the whole thing would have to come down.

The construction figure for 2 main stands was pretty insane, I shudder to think what a total rebuild will cost though.

GavRedKing wrote:
    The construction figure for 2 main stands was pretty insane, I shudder to think what a total rebuild will cost though.

I'm hoping they might have had an idea the whole thing had to be knocked and factored in the cost but were worried about planning if they started off with a complete rebuild.
    The design is still a shambles unfortunately.

case885 wrote: »
    It's to be demolished completely now, not surprised really leaving a 40 year old crumbling terrace would have been insane. Who's paying for the extra construction will be interesting though

I was talking to a buddy of mine last week, who know his stuff and he was saying that there is ZERO budget for the 2 terraces. So basically the "signed off" budget is totally inadequate.

It appears that the "stadium committee" have bitten off way more than they can chew. They should have gotten "professionals", builders, bankers, engineers, people who were involved in Croke Park to put themselves forward for that committee and not a bunch of amateurs for a stadium development.

When I say "amateurs" I do not mean any particular disrespect but that's what they are.

We'll probably get the usual stonewall silence and shots about "whingers" etc. That'll be the next thing.

I'm just glad that the thing is coming down for the next 50 Years of Cork GAA I won't have to look at the planned disaster. That's leaving aside the extra money which will bankrupt Cork GAA.

So basically we'll get
    a) no stadium
    b) a scaled down stadium
    c) A Govt funded stadium

To be honest I think it would be best for the Government to call a hault to the whole thing at this stage and get the development done with professionals.

By the way for all those people who get excited about other sports this new stadium will need absolutely every cent it gets so all sports will be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think the point being made before was that no way the 2 main stands and an astro turf pitch should have cost about 70m.

IMO, theres definetly scope for 4 new stands to come in on budget but theres clearly going to be a delay as theyre still knocking the 2 goal end stands at the moment which will factor into the budget.

I'd agree though that from the outset this project wreaked and it looks like it could be a disaster if its not handled very carefully.

GavRedKing wrote:
    IMO, theres definetly scope for 4 new stands to come in on budget but theres clearly going to be a delay as theyre still knocking the 2 goal end stands at the moment which will factor into the budget.

I'd love to see something like Southampton's stadium with terracing in front of each stand but that wouldn't fit in with the GAA's 2 stand style of stadia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

clerk wrote: »
    There was significant parts of the Blackrock end terrace down when I passed this morning and there were large machinery in there working on it. The sections were similar to what is down on the City end terrace.

Also, on the City end terrace there was more down on the very bottom tier.

Looks like it's gradually all coming down to me.
    this is the mother of all white elephants why is it Dublin the richest county in the gaa have Parnel park not dissimilar to pairc ui rian. How can Frank justify this debt given how many big stadiums are in Muster already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Cape Clear wrote: »
    this is the mother of all white elephants why is it Dublin the richest county in the gaa have Parnel park not dissimilar to pairc ui rian. How can Frank justify this debt given how many big stadiums are in Muster already.

Does Cork city also have an 80,000 capacity stadium owned by the GAA itself?

It's time for completely new plans. You'd get a very nice All Seater stadium for the money involved. Lose the 2nd tier and put in some corporate boxes on one side if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It's time for completely new plans. You'd get a very nice All Seater stadium for the money involved. Lose the 2nd tier and put in some corporate boxes on one side if they want.

Never going to build an all seater stadium. At this stage it needs 2 good stands and decent terracing. if its done with good planning it could be 40,000 with the bulk of that standing for the one or two occasions a year its needed and seating for everyone at most games held there.

Lose the 2nd tier and put in some corporate boxes on one side if they want.

Corporate boxes.

I've been asking around with some people l know in business in Cork and nobody has been approached by Cork GAA that l could come across. How exactly they think they are going to sell them if they've approached nobody l have no idea. Do they think the demand is going to be an unstoppable force ? because l've news for ye lads ye're going to have to "sell" this product. It's all a complete amateur job all round. Some people l spoke to were actually perplexed that they hadn't been approached.

Now, that's step 1 (you would have though) and then a straw poll of whether they would actually rent the Corporate box, most of them said no. Why ? very simply little or no decent games. There will be no All-Ireland matches beyond last 16 matches due to contractual issues, despite some random nonsense to the contrary.

As far as I can tell from a commercial point of view Corporate boxes are completely pie in the sky. It's not commercially viable. I think what might ??be more viable is a Corporate section, like Croke Park, where they sell the 5/10 Year tickets to individuals and you have first dibs for concert tickets but Corporate boxes are a non runner as far as I can see. l'm not being petty saying all this but we need to get real with this project.

Surely Cork GAA need to approach the business community in Cork, which face it isn't exactly Dublin !! and do an analysis of what the businesses are likely to potentially commit to and the price would be handy for fcuk sake.

Cork doesn't need an 80.000 seater stadium demand just not there especially given Thurles Limerick and Kilarney 80 minutes down the road.

Cork doesn't need an 80.000 seater stadium demand just not there especially given Thurles Limerick and Kilarney 80 minutes down the road.

Where did I say it needed one.

Where did I say it needed one.

Your point pedantic one?

Your point pedantic one?

Can you not understand that Dublin haven't bothered to build a bigger stadium as Croke Park is already in the county and a bigger stadium of their own would be a complete waste of money. Honestly?

• Advertisement

Can you not understand that Dublin haven't bothered to build a bigger stadium as Croke Park is already in the county and a bigger stadium of their own would be a complete waste of money. Honestly?

I understand plenty my good friend but your original post does not state this . Please take the time to read over your posts in future we cannot be expected to be able to read your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

to be fair only a few months ago the Dublin county board were trying to get land for a stadium so saying they haven't bothered is a stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Just drove down Tivoli earlier and there are two cranes at the back of the old covered stand and a lot of activity overall .....hopefully they are in construction phase !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Ya,a good sign.When the tower cranes go up its usually full steam ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Ya,a good sign.When the tower cranes go up its usually full steam ahead.

hopefully ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Its such a pity that its full steam ahead with an outdated quick pick design. For the same money (and even cheaper), Cork could have got a top top mid sized stadium, instead we are getting a main stand upgrade and some new concrete for the terraces. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

CHealy wrote: »
    Its such a pity that its full steam ahead with an outdated quick pick design. For the same money (and even cheaper), Cork could have got a top top mid sized stadium, instead we are getting a main stand upgrade and some new concrete for the terraces. Pity.

Agree.A very half arsed design.I've said it before but for a few quid more,the Juventus stadium is spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Agree.A very half arsed design.I've said it before but for a few quid more,the Juventus stadium is spectacular.
    At this rate it's probably for a few quid less I'd say Rhys!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Any picture updates?

• Advertisement

Any picture updates?

l don't have a pic but all's left are the posts (or whatever the term is!!) on the terraces and if l was a betting man the professional builders will have them down yet.

The process of knocking the stadium to date has been a complete and utter balls up of epic proportions.

lt's taken 6 Months to get to the current state, an absolute shambles the whole thing.

Advertisement