Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairc Ui Chaoimh re-development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Sounds Dreamy

"But the one common complaint, and he acknowledged it himself and it's what Dónal óg touched on last year, is that we have no venue. We've got six coaches, 30 top-class players but it's a three-hour ordeal to train.
    "We're ringing around clubs asking them can we train here and there when there should be ten pitches at Páirc Uí Chaoimh.
    "Cork, with all the money in the county board, should have a training base for the underage hurling and senior hurling and football teams.
    "There will be one training pitch in 'The Park' (Páirc Uí Chaoimh) but the senior footballers and hurlers will still be fighting over who gets to use The Park"

independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/rebels-are-ten-years-behind-top-hurling-counties-says-former-captain-31411718.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

clerk wrote: »
    I'll sign a affidavit to that effect no problem. :D;)

I cannot for the life me understand how the terraces can pass modern health and safety standards. There is no way those steps are even. there are cracks in the structure in several places in the actual structure and knocking the 2 stands which were up against it hardly did it any favours structurally. On top of all that it's built on a bog.

Looking at it yesterday the outside of the structure looks absolutely dire. What are they going to do to the outside, give it a lick of paint ?

Also, it was built in 1973/4, when asbestos was commonly used in buildings, which in itself could be a huge problem.

I doubt it has anything as fancy as insulation! It's basically bare concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭opus

Here's a pic I took of the current state of play when I was jogging past there yesterday. Certainly lots of demolition work has been carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Keep the photos coming. I thought they would demolish both terraces though. I see no sense in keeping them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Timber as an external material is generally a disaster in this climate. It works fine in drier or colder places but in Ireland, especially in Cork and down by the river where it's extremely microclimate influences mild all year, I can guarantee you, it will be covered in moss and then rot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

So when is the redeveloped Pairc expected to be finished?

I agree about timber rendering - it just doesn't work in Ireland with our damp climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So when is the redeveloped Pairc expected to be finished?

I agree about timber rendering - it just doesn't work in Ireland with our damp climate.

Munster Final 2017 is the time for the reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Has a main contractor been appointed yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

mycro89 wrote: »
    Has a main contractor been appointed yet ?

Yes mcalpine's fusiliers

Latest on this....

The terraces are all that remain of the stadium
    Sisk have been appointed main contractor
    Project is now costing €78m
    Government funding being investigated by EU under state aid rules

go to youtube.com/watch?v=LApx8VoI-1g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

Project is now costing €78m

£78m for half a stadium and a centre of excellence pitch.

Meanwhile no hurling All-Ireland in 10 Years and counting. Unbelievable stuff if it wasn't true.

The cats are pissing themselves looking at us.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Passed there yesterday. Very little activity down there. Going to be years of construction and delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I pass it everyday to work, the sites been cleared of the majority of debris for some time now, the last 2 weeks though the site has been like a lake with all the rain, the old south terraced stand side, has a huge depoist of water that hasnt really cleared up in recent days.

All the demplition is done, as far as I can tell but I doubt any major building will begin this side of 2015, probably commence in 2016.

This project though, seems seriously over priced though.

€78mil and counting won't be much change left out of €100Mil when the thing is finally finished to a substandard.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    €78mil and counting won't be much change left out of €100Mil when the thing is finally finished to a substandard.

Considering what fuly built 40-45k stadiums are going for, if it goes anywhere near 100m its a joke really.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Any news on the proposed bridge going from Pairc Ui Caoimh over to the skew bridge?

presume that's also on the back burner like the rest of the docklands redevelopment

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Any news on the proposed bridge going from Pairc Ui Caoimh over to the skew bridge?

Long way off. Wasn't included in the Capital Spending Programme 2016-2021 so it'll be the 2020s at the earliest and probably a lot longer.

To be honest even if that ever happens I have no idea what it is supposed to achieve.

They are supposed to be pedestrianising the Marina for starters. So assuming the bridge happens basically the traffic can come over the bridge from the North side and head towards Cork City/Blackrock, same difference as from where you start unless you want to go Blackrock. So basically it will become a rat run for people to cut across the City or a short cut to Blackrock from the North side or the North side to Blackrock.

There is only 1 road each way on the North side and the South side of the water so I cannot see how that can handle a bridge coming onto it so I presume it will need traffic lights etc. on the North side and on the South side you'd have to keep going on straight. Meanwhile the underlying ****e road network will remain unchanged unless I am mistaken.

It will make absolutely no difference to match traffic because the whole place will be in total gridlock, with or without a bridge to nowhere (they should could call it the Blackrock Bridge or name it after a famous Blackrock patron) at a cost of I dunno €10m (I'm guessing, I'll honest, I have no idea - I presume bridge's don't come cheap).

My guess is that you could file that bridge under into the dead Celtic Tiger file that we will all be paying for, for the rest of our lives or maybe the next Govt will announce it before general election 2021 just cause that's the way they roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

So assuming the bridge happens basically the traffic can come over the bridge from the North side and head towards Cork City/Blackrock, same difference as from where you start unless you want to go Blackrock. So basically it will become a rat run for people to cut across the City or a short cut to Blackrock from the North side or the North side to Blackrock.

Not everyone going to the stadium or the proposed development would be coming from the Northside or the rest of the city though. It would give direct access from North and East cork.

• Advertisement

To be honest even if that ever happens I have no idea what it is supposed to achieve.

They are supposed to be pedestrianising the Marina for starters. So assuming the bridge happens basically the traffic can come over the bridge from the North side and head towards Cork City/Blackrock, same difference as from where you start unless you want to go Blackrock. So basically it will become a rat run for people to cut across the City or a short cut to Blackrock from the North side or the North side to Blackrock.

There is only 1 road each way on the North side and the South side of the water so I cannot see how that can handle a bridge coming onto it so I presume it will need traffic lights etc. on the North side and on the South side you'd have to keep going on straight. Meanwhile the underlying ****e road network will remain unchanged unless I am mistaken.

It will make absolutely no difference to match traffic because the whole place will be in total gridlock, with or without a bridge to nowhere (they should could call it the Blackrock Bridge or name it after a famous Blackrock patron) at a cost of I dunno €10m (I'm guessing, I'll honest, I have no idea - I presume bridge's don't come cheap).

My guess is that you could file that bridge under into the dead Celtic Tiger file that we will all be paying for, for the rest of our lives or maybe the next Govt will announce it before general election 2021 just cause that's the way they roll.

A pedestrian/cycle bridge would make more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

http://www.tedcastleproperties.com/Home/Cork_Docklands_files/Cork%20Docklands.pdf

looking at the plans It seems that the bridge would be useful for people crossing from the new developments on the north riverbank to the stadium/other redeveloped areas, probably no need for a road bridge though, a ped/cycling number probably would've done the job but who's complaining, it's something positive being done.

A bridge across the water would also be good to cut down on traffic going through mahon/blackrock trying to get through the tunnel.

Mahon point on most weekends can be a nightmare to deal with, throw in a match down the park with a local team from north Cork or anyone looking to use the tunnel for Waterford, Tipperary etc it can be an absolute disaster.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Not everyone going to the stadium or the proposed development would be coming from the Northside or the rest of the city though. It would give direct access from North and East cork.

I'm not dismissing what you are saying but I'd be interested to tease that out.

How would what you outline actually work. The Bridge would be going from the Lower Glanmire Road at a point where you're practically in the City Centre to the Marina in Blackrock.

So when you say "It would give direct access from North and East Cork". I'm genuinely not being smart, but how does a bridge from the City end of the Lower Glanmire Road give direct access to "North and East Cork". Could you give me an example of what route you are talking about so I can try to follow your logic.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    A bridge across the water would also be good to cut down on traffic going through mahon/blackrock trying to get through the tunnel.

Mahon point on most weekends can be a nightmare to deal with, throw in a match down the park with a local team from north Cork or anyone looking to use the tunnel for Waterford, Tipperary etc it can be an absolute disaster.

Your absolutely spot on that the traffic is tragic and going to get much worse at Mahon Point and a bridge at that point will relieve some traffic from Mahon Point but how would the Lower Glanmire road handle the extra traffic, it's 1 lane either way into the City and out of the City for a good bit. The issue is not the bridge itself but the road network on either side of the bridge.

Your absolutely spot on that the traffic is tragic and going to get much worse at Mahon Point and a bridge at that point will relieve some traffic from Mahon Point but how would the Lower Glanmire road handle the extra traffic, it's 1 lane either way into the City and out of the City for a good bit. The issue is not the bridge itself but the road network on either side of the bridge.

If the docklands is ever developed then a road with heavy traffic cutting through it would have a negative effect on the area. Only going to be congested (more so if tunnel is tolled) and only bring noise an air pollution not very inviting when trying to encourage people to live and work. One albert quay has already laid down a mark with only 150 spaces for 1000 employees.
    Benefits of a ped/cycle bridge would be improved access to Pairc Ui Chaoimh by using Park and Rides in tivoi and potentially a train station at tivoli/dunkettle etc.
    If tivoli and docklands ever get developed then sustainable transport links should be encouraged.

The only way to do it without drastically effecting the flow of traffic, as its currently 50kmh down there until you get half way to the roundabout is to have large merge lanes on both sides of the potetinal bridge.

Thats being said, I dont think theres enough economic sense in building a bridge there, granted a good few HGV's would b heading down that direction and it would take them out of the city centre but for what it would cost I dont think it would be viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

that bridge would be very benefical in my opinion.

The area over by albert quay could quickly become a bottle neck there can be a good bit of traffic coming up from Monahan rd and central park road. a lot of city workers park along Monahan road every day. There are a few large employers around the marina it will take away some of that traffic from town. then as other posters pointed out it will take some traffic from the tunnel/mahon area when making the bridge make it wide enough at the time to include cycle lanes in both direactions. Plus if any of the other plans to develop the marina ever come on board, at least it would be there...not like in mahon build a load of offices but no new roads

If anything I think there should be a park and ride developed that would catch people coming from the M8 and east bound. from here it should cover two routes one to mahon ( esp if they loose the carpark for the city gate employees) and one to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm not dismissing what you are saying but I'd be interested to tease that out.

How would what you outline actually work. The Bridge would be going from the Lower Glanmire Road at a point where you're practically in the City Centre to the Marina in Blackrock.

So when you say "It would give direct access from North and East Cork". I'm genuinely not being smart, but how does a bridge from the City end of the Lower Glanmire Road give direct access to "North and East Cork". Could you give me an example of what route you are talking about so I can try to follow your logic.

Well the current situation is that people travelling from North and East directions either have to go into the city centre, adding to the traffic, around the new developments in the Albert Quay area and out Centre Park Road, or through the tunnel, around Mahon, contributing to what is already at times chronic conjestions, and through the narrow streets of Ballintemple.

If the bridge was in place with associated road improvements they'd have a dual carriageway leading from the Dunkettle interchange to a couple of hundred metres from their destination, and from then on it would be local traffic.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Well the current situation is that people travelling from North and East directions either have to go into the city centre, adding to the traffic, around the new developments in the Albert Quay area and out Centre Park Road, or through the tunnel, around Mahon, contributing to what is already at times chronic conjestions, and through the narrow streets of Ballintemple.

If the bridge was in place with associated road improvements they'd have a dual carriageway leading from the Dunkettle interchange to a couple of hundred metres from their destination, and from then on it would be local traffic.

Unfortunately that is the issue the bridge on it's own without other road improvements is about as much good as a lighthouse in a bog.

Advertisement