Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairc Ui Chaoimh re-development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

What way does the rain blow into the stadium?

In Croke Park, you get wetter higher up in the Cusack than you do in the Hogan. Is it possible that you could get very wet in the higher stand in Pairc Ui Chaoimh depending on the wind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

What way does the rain blow into the stadium?

In Croke Park, you get wetter higher up in the Cusack than you do in the Hogan. Is it possible that you could get very wet in the higher stand in Pairc Ui Chaoimh depending on the wind?

Its ireland, rain blows in every direction, just pick the stand that its not blowing on, on the day of the match.

farmerjj wrote: »
    Its ireland, rain blows in every direction, just pick the stand that its not blowing on, on the day of the match.

Not in Croke Park. That said there is a longer roof on the Hogan Stand which provides greater protection at that side. The rain generally blows into the Cusack stand side in Croke Park and it is not uncommon to get drops of rain in the lower rows of the Upper Cusack also. This does not happen in the Hogan stand

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Taken from the Pairc Ui Chaoimh FB page.
    [/IMG]

Saw these coming into work the other morning. Pairc Ui Chaoimh will look excellent as you come in from Tivoli once its all completed - now if they would only sort the entry/exit roads around the place ...mmmm....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Kinda wish they would continue the roof around over the terracing, giving it more of a "complete" look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Kinda first they would continue the roof around over the terracing, giving it more of a "complete" look.

Only Cork GAA would build a brand new stadium that is immediately about 30 years out of date for modern sporting arena needs!

For the same money they should have been aiming for a 40,000 all-seater, all-covered arena. Something like a Sunderland or MK Dons stadium?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It's a summer sport. It would be horrible to be in the blackrock end with the sun beating down and you inside in the shade

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Shedite27 wrote: »
    It's a summer sport. It would be horrible to be in the blackrock end with the sun beating down and you inside in the shade

It's really not. You'll have league games at the start of the year, Inter County during the summer & club championships / league finals from October through to November.

I'm sure the stadium will look great, but as I've said since the plans were published - for the money being spent, there's not enough bang for buck re: design & facilities imo

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

A Summer of Sunshine in Ireland or Cork?:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Shedite27 wrote: »

Fair play to Frankie for arranging non-stop sunshine in Cork for the summers as part of this build so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

D'Agger wrote:
    It's really not. You'll have league games at the start of the year, Inter County during the summer & club championships / league finals from October through to November.

There's 21000 covered seats, I can't see attendance going over this only for big championship games in the summer.
    From the plans it looks like there's concrete pillars behind the terrace similar to the north stand which support the roof but i could be wrong about that.
    They might be planning on adding a roof over the terraces down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

D'Agger wrote: »

I'm sure the stadium will look great, but as I've said since the plans were published - for the money being spent, there's not enough bang for buck re: design & facilities imo

Maybe now as its nearly built, just drop it and get behind it as much as you can(we all know the negatives) so lets try look at the positive,s, like you said its probably going to look great and we might get a few good gigs down there, at least

case885 wrote: »
    There's 21000 covered seats, I can't see attendance going over this only for big championship games in the summer.
    From the plans it looks like there's concrete pillars behind the terrace similar to the north stand which support the roof but i could be wrong about that.
    They might be planning on adding a roof over the terraces down the line.

It won't either - I didn't say I'd like a fully covered stadium, simply pointing out that it's going to be used year round. As somebody who is back training after a few weeks of an off season - I was moreso responding to the GAA being referred to as a summer sport - it hasn't been that since I was about 12 :pac:
    farmerjj wrote: »
    Maybe now as its nearly built, just drop it and get behind it as much as you can(we all know the negatives) so lets try look at the positive,s, like you said its probably going to look great and we might get a few good gigs down there, at least

I'm behind the area being developed, I'm delighted it's tying in with the Blackrock marina being refurbished. I think Cork is booming and the stadium, Alberts Quay and subsequent development of the Marina is something to be incredibly hopeful about. And while I will wait to see how it turns out, and while I do believe it looks great at the moment, that doesn't disguise the fact that 70million was dropped on the stadium. Considering the facilities in the plans & how much I believe they'll be used (I'm mainly thinking of development squads that have one pitch to work with on that site) I think the return on investment is poor for the stadium. I think that's something that should be discussed rather than dropped tbh. Even if I drop/leave go of the PUC development - my question would then turn to the state of Cork GAA & what facilities are being used for underage & senior squad developement in the City? Additionally - are gigs going to be planned for here because it's looking like the Events Centre is right on track to be finished by 2271 by the looks of it.

Jesus lads, I didn't mean to start this argument all over again. Was just making an observation on aesthetics.
    Something like what Welford Road will look like when finished, with the smaller roof continuing at the same height instead of dipping like in this render....

Mbp2VbH.jpg

Since we are talking about it, as someone who frequents Musgrave and Thomond Park a lot, I like that the terracing is remaining as opposed to an all seater.

Jesus lads, I didn't mean to start this argument all over again. Was just making an observation on aesthetics.
    Something like what Welford Road will look like when finished, with the smaller roof continuing at the same height instead of dipping like in this render....

Mbp2VbH.jpg

Since we are talking about it, as someone who frequents Musgrave and Thomond Park a lot, I like that the terracing is remaining as opposed to an all seater.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Wondering if this will have the same effect on Local Cork GAA as the refurb of Croke Park continues to have on inter county GAA. IE. will club games that were here to fore played in neutral and smaller venues be move to de park to help pay for it. Wonder how much admission prices will increase to off set the increased running costs a new venue brings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Wondering if this will have the same effect on Local Cork GAA as the refurb of Croke Park continues to have on inter county GAA. IE. will club games that were here to fore played in neutral and smaller venues be move to de park to help pay for it. Wonder how much admission prices will increase to off set the increased running costs a new venue brings.

Maybe Cork City fc could get Pairc Ui Rinn back to develop :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Maybe Cork City fc could get Pairc Ui Rinn back to develop :pac:

More likely to be sold for housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Paddico

Just a shame they have returned to that horrible 1970's look

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

This is it!

For 70m , surely the architects (Scott Tallon Walker btw) could design something that people with zero interest in the GAA would find interesting.

A real missed opportunity.

• Advertisement

No expense spared on the brochure for the premium tickets

http://paircuichaoimh.ie/PUCBrochure.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

No expense spared on the brochure for the premium tickets

http://paircuichaoimh.ie/PUCBrochure.pdf

Some interesting info there, l see on page 12 they have now appointed what is a very capable "business committee" which is a very positive move and they have been in contact with the Cork chamber as well, which is good.

l knew that the Cork business community would be more than willing to pitch in on such an exciting development.

Why it's taken so long to appoint the committee and why some of them where not on the 'redevelopment steering committee' I have no idea. Also, it's embarrassing and frankly bizarre that on a committee of 11 that there is no woman. I would have expected there to be equal representation to be honest to have none is unbelievable. Maybe like lots of other things that's something they will belatedly fix yet.

Also, on page 10 l note that they've put together a package for bulk buying the tickets with free conferencing facilities. The tickets are very expensive at l think at euro 6,500 a pop, but throwing in free conferencing (which is very expensive for a large event) should get the show on the road now in terms of starting to move the tickets in large batches.

It would have made perfect sense if they actually lined up the concerts for 2017 as well and actually announced them. If say Coldplay, Brooks and U2 were coming to Cork l'm sure that would get the tickets moving. Can't see what the big deal is with organising say 3 concerts to be honest and announcing them. Even Brooks by 3 would probably get the job done. Not exactly rocket science.

clerk wrote: »
    Some interesting info there, l see on page 12 they have now appointed what is a very capable "business committee" which is a very positive move and they have been in contact with the Cork chamber as well, which is good.

l knew that the Cork business community would be more than willing to pitch in on such an exciting development.

Why it's taken so long to appoint the committee and why some of them where not on the 'redevelopment steering committee' I have no idea. Also, it's embarrassing and frankly bizarre that on a committee of 11 that there is no woman. I would have expected there to be equal representation to be honest to have none is unbelievable. Maybe like lots of other things that's something they will belatedly fix yet.

Also, on page 10 l note that they've put together a package for bulk buying the tickets with free conferencing facilities. The tickets are very expensive at l think at euro 6,500 a pop, but throwing in free conferencing (which is very expensive for a large event) should get the show on the road now in terms of starting to move the tickets in large batches.

It would have made perfect sense if they actually lined up the concerts for 2017 as well and actually announced them. If say Coldplay, Brooks and U2 were coming to Cork l'm sure that would get the tickets moving. Can't see what the big deal is with organising say 3 concerts to be honest and announcing them. Even Brooks by 3 would probably get the job done. Not exactly rocket science.

I would imagine that there was no point in having a committee in place before now as the stadium wasnt much to look at. A year ago, it was mainly groundworks and was an eyesore, whereas the rate of progress now will be closer to completion with every passing day and this makes it easier to get buy in from people.

They might actually bring in extra money if they also offered a non-premium, standard seat for €3000 for a 10 year ticket ticket. 1000 of those would be another 3 million.

Was passing this morning - hard to see in darkness but the roof looked fairly impressive - pretty cool to see a large stadium peeking out on the water

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭lukin

Even though I am a lifelong Cork GAA supporter, I don't share the general enthusiasm for this project. I recognise that we needed to upgrade the old PUC as it was a dilapidated kip and a safety hazard but the lies that have been peddled by the Cork County Board since the start of the development have been a disgrace:
    1. It's within budget. No it isn't. The original budget was €67 million, then it went to €70 million, now it is €80 million.
    2. It's going to host 25 'major' matches EVERY year. Ha-ha, good one.
    3. The stadium re-build will not affect funding for Cork's inter-county teams. €5 million of the CCB's cash reserves were spent on the stadium. This is separate to the €10 million that the CCB told us they were putting in at the start of the project.

I will probably attend matches at the stadium when it is built because my nephew will want to go but I didn't renew my hurling season ticket as a form of protest. I emailed the CCB the above points but did not receive a reply.

Is this monstrosity the reason why the Event Centre is being held up?

kcb wrote: »
    Is this monstrosity the reason why the Event Centre is being held up?
    Absolutely not, that disaster of a project is entirely independent of this

There's a thread about the Event Centre on the Cork City forum for more information - there's numerous problems there.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

D'Agger wrote: »
    Absolutely not, that disaster of a project is entirely independent of this

There's a thread about the Event Centre on the Cork City forum for more information - there's numerous problems there.

Driving passed the skew bridge PUC is looking very imposing ....I was wondering when the inevitable major concerts take place will the stage be parallel to the old uncovered stand to take advantage of the massive new covered stand ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭lukin

P.lane78 wrote: »
    Driving passed the skew bridge PUC is looking very imposing ....I was wondering when the inevitable major concerts take place will the stage be parallel to the old uncovered stand to take advantage of the massive new covered stand ....

I wouldn't be holding my breath for concerts in the new stadium. The CCB are in for a nasty shock if they think concert promoters will be beating a path to their door with gigs. There are two stadiums in Dublin that both have a bigger capacity than the new PUC and are also more modern. Because we have such a small population two stadiums is more than enough to cater for demand.
    Anyway there aren't that many solo artists or bands in the world that fill stadiums these days.
    It is also a well known fact that promoters are reluctant to host gigs in PUC because it has poor access and Dublin gigs are easier to sell tickets for because of the larger population in and around Dublin and it has the LUAS,DART, bigger airport , better hotels, nightlife etc.
    There won't be a concert in 2017 in PUC more than likely. Unless they squeeze one in in late September or August at short notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

lukin wrote: »
    I wouldn't be holding my breath for concerts in the new stadium. The CCB are in for a nasty shock if they think concert promoters will be beating a path to their door with gigs. There are two stadiums in Dublin that both have a bigger capacity than the new PUC and are also more modern. Because we have such a small population two stadiums is more than enough to cater for demand.
    Anyway there aren't that many solo artists or bands in the world that fill stadiums these days.
    It is also a well known fact that promoters are reluctant to host gigs in PUC because it has poor access and Dublin gigs are easier to sell tickets for because of the larger population in and around Dublin and it has the LUAS,DART, bigger airport , better hotels, nightlife etc.
    There won't be a concert in 2017 in PUC more than likely. Unless they squeeze one in in late September or August at short notice.

I disagree concerts in Cork are always well supported imo ....Most recently Bruce Springsteen in the old pairc. I agree the stadium acts are falling away unfortunately , but I feel festival tyoe multi act concerts woukddo well.

Advertisement