Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I can't see Madigan or a third choice outhalf being brought now to be honest. They'd only be needed if ROG or Sexton got injured and even then an injury replacement to the tour might not be called up.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

GerM wrote: »
    Hopefully, with three tests, he'll try a few new combinations for one of the games. We know NZ are going to try a few different things and it's going to be their first game under Hansen so he'll be looking for guys to put their hands up. They won't be at full strength for all the games.

I'd like to think anyone that travels will at least feature in one match day squad. Would like to see DK use one of the games to try a few new things such as an alternate centre combination, give Cronin a start, mix up the back three significantly, allow someone like POM a shot at the big time and, at a stretch, give someone like Madigan a debut from the bench if he continues to develop.

declan_kidney_1358108c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Knowing Kidney, there will be 5/6 players in NZ that won't play any rugby at all.

Exactly like what happened in the WC. Oh wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I can't see Madigan or a third choice outhalf being brought now to be honest. They'd only be needed if ROG or Sexton got injured and even then an injury replacement to the tour might not be called up.

Me neither to be honest but it would be great to see. DK might have his hand forced by time. ROG is about to turn 35. He retires in 18 months (assuming he calls it quits at 36 and end of current deal). DK basically has the summer or the autumn to start looking at someone. He would be loathe to give a debut in the 6N. Would like if he bit the bullet and just gave someone 15 minutes at the end of one of the tests as an introduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭phog

Knowing Kidney, there will be 5/6 players in NZ that won't play any rugby at all.

There could well be thousands ;) but I'm sure that all the Irish squad that travel and are fit and able will get game time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

More like what happened on our last summer tour.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

At the RWC the only changes to the first team squad was ROG and Murray.

Ireland v Australia:
    Rob Kearney; Tommy Bowe, Brian O'Driscoll, Gordon D'Arcy, Keith Earls; Jonathan Sexton, Eoin Reddan; Cian Healy, Rory Best, Mike Ross, Donncha O'Callaghan, Paul O'Connell, Stephen Ferris, Sean O'Brien, Jamie Heaslip.

Replacements: Sean Cronin, Tom Court, Donnacha Ryan, Denis Leamy, Conor Murray, Ronan O'Gara, Andrew Trimble.

Ireland v Italy:
    Rob Kearney; Tommy Bowe, Brian O'Driscoll, Gordon D'Arcy, Keith Earls; Ronan O'Gara, Conor Murray; Cian Healy, Rory Best, Mike Ross, Donncha O'Callaghan, Paul O'Connell, Stephen Ferris, Sean O'Brien, Jamie Heaslip.

Replacements: Sean Cronin, Tom Court, Donnacha Ryan, Denis Leamy, Eoin Reddan, Jonathan Sexton, Andrew Trimble.

Ireland v Wales:
    Rob Kearney; Tommy Bowe, Brian O'Driscoll, Gordon D'Arcy, Keith Earls; Ronan O'Gara, Conor Murray; Cian Healy, Rory Best, Mike Ross, Donncha O'Callaghan, Paul O'Connell, Stephen Ferris, Sean O'Brien, Jamie Heaslip.

Replacements: Sean Cronin, Tom Court, Donnacha Ryan, Denis Leamy, Eoin Reddan, Jonathan Sexton, Andrew Trimble.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

Anyone who thinks Kidney won't play his first team for those three games in an attempt to "win the tour" is only fooling themselves. We'll see different bench options, but we all know how well that gets used...

Not playing the midweek games just ties in with that. They're going down there to try to win above all else. Kidney won't want to be distracted by what would be a couple of valuable development games. He doesn't give a monkey's about development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

We played 3 teams significantly worse than us at the RWC, hence being able to rotate. Against Italy, Australia and Wales the exact same 22 was selected, the only change being starting Murray and the catastrophic mistake of starting ROG. Plus a team with designs on making a SF or even a final has to rotate, it's not optional. This is a 3 test tour against NZ, we don't have the luxury of playing USA or Russia. Look at the teams selected through any of his 6N or against the top teams in the AIs, changes are minimal. Though I'm sure you're aware of all this and decided to be deliberately dim.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭phog

I was looking for an old photograph of Thomond Park and came across this.

He was a great player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

phog wrote: »
    I was looking for an old photograph of Thomond Park and came across this.

He was a great player.

Simon Geoghegan. Legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I'm unsure as to whether Ward's article today is deluded or terrifying.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/tony-ward-earls-can-become-centre-of-attention-2983593.html

Earls isn't a natural winger, Wallace is one of the three players in the mix for the 13 jersey (ahead of EOM, Cave and Griffin), Buckley needs to maintain his consistency as back up tighthead. Good God.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kennedmc

GerM wrote: »
    I'm unsure as to whether Ward's article today is deluded or terrifying.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/tony-ward-earls-can-become-centre-of-attention-2983593.html

Earls isn't a natural winger, Wallace is one of the three players in the mix for the 13 jersey (ahead of EOM, Cave and Griffin), Buckley needs to maintain his consistency as back up tighthead. Good God.

that all conquering Munster back row - they have been brilliant gviing them a 10 point lead in the rabo and in last seasons Heineken Cup knock outs there were magnificient.......oh wait hold on a minute :D;)

bit of a poor article overall from Ward - Wallace for 13 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

its an absolutely barmy article. Aside from the craziness mentioned above, Zebo in the possibles? Come off it.

Tony Ward joining George Hook in the world of professional trolling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Tony Ward's article reads as though it was written by a guy who hasn't seen a game of rugby in years. It's like he picked up the HC pool standings, said "wow, Munster are doing well" and then started throwing out names accordingly.

Basically every Irish player who has started for Munster this season is named as a "possible", in the context of the old 'final trial' system. No harm in that I suppose, but come on, Denis Hurley? Billy Holland? G'way out of that. Talking about Niall Ronan in terms of Ireland selection and not mentioning Chris Henry, John Muldoon or any of a plethora of other back-rowers is shockingly lazy. Danny Barnes gets name-checked along with Sean Scanlon, yet no mention of Tiernan O'Halloran or Eoin Griffin.

His analysis of the '13' debate is laughable, Darren Cave has the Ulster jersey nailed down yet Ward overlooks him completely. Paddy Wallace has "yet to assert himself and is more comfortable at 12". Gee, you reckon?

Putting the words "Tony", "Buckley" and "imperative" in the same sentence was just the icing on the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Could you imagine Wallace at 13? Along side a winding-down Darcy? What does Ward be smoking? And where can I get some..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

No mention of Dan Tuohy either.

Tony Ward is probably the worst rugby writer out there IMO. And he's worse on the telly.

I cannot read his ****e any more in the papers. I had to stop a few years ago, but I'm sure he's just as bad now. His reading of the game is pathetic for an ex-international 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Reading that article, I was waiting to read his proposal of Niall O'Connor as backup 10 by the end! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Brendan97

Talking about Niall Ronan in terms of Ireland selection and not mentioning Chris Henry, John Muldoon or any of a plethora of other back-rowers is shockingly lazy.
    In fairness now I think they deserve a look in (they will never start, unless injuries happen), but I think they deserve a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2012/0110/lions.html

Deccie in the mix for the Lions job.

About the only chance ROG, TOL, Hayes and Buckley have for another tour...

tolosenc wrote: »

About the only chance ROG, TOL, Hayes and Buckley have for another tour...

It was my understanding that the Lions wanted the next coach to have either played or coached on a Lions tour. This would of course rule Kidney out.

A good season from Scotland and I think Andy Robinson would get it.

Edit:

"We could go worldwide but ideally we would like an association with the Lions," said Irvine.

http://www.espnscrum.com/lions-tour-2013/rugby/story/155174.html

So Kidney's back in so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

tolosenc wrote: »

According to RTÉ. But in reality I highly doubt it.

Mind you...
    "Once we have selected the coach, we wouldn't want them involved in the 2013 Six Nations

Beginning to see the plus side of it....

Leicester full-back Geordan Murphy is available to play for Ireland in the Six Nations after talks with coach Declan Kidney.

Murphy hinted after last year's World Cup that he was considering retiring from Test rugby, but he has put that decision on hold and is available should Ireland need him.

"I've spoken with Declan and we thrashed it out. I didn't want to be one of those players who retired and then came back," he said.

The 33-year-old, who has played 74 Tests for Ireland, revealed that he is effectively on standby, and will only come into the squad if Kidney needs emergency cover.

"I'm not looking at achieving a lot by holding a bag for a week or two. But if there are any injuries, I'd be happy to come in and be a part of a match-day 22 or 23," explained Murphy.

"I suppose I'm on standby really. I said I'd hang around for another few months at least."

Ireland's Six Nations opener is in Dublin against Wales on February 5.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_7423242,00.html

Interesting statement from Murphy. He won't be picked ahead of Kearney but none of Duffy, Hurley, and D'arcy would be the second choice Ireland full back either. Considering he said he'd only be available if there were injuries it would look like there will only be one full back picked in the 6 Nations squad. This could mean Luke Fitz, Earls, and Wallace could be covering the position.

would actively grimace if we're still asking the likes of Murphy, Horgan, Horan to play.

Reminds me that Malcolm O'Kelly tuned out for Leinster last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

would actively grimace if we're still asking the likes of Murphy, Horgan, Horan to play.

Horgan's Ireland career was over as soon as DK came on board, but I'd say he's more worried about his career in general at the moment.

With all due respect to Murphy and the good service he's given Ireland over the years, he has no business next nor near the Six Nations squad, I don't care how many injuries we have. One dedicated FB is plenty with Earls and Fitzgerald there as emergency cover.

As for Horan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Typical Kidney really. Rather than looking at someone like Gilroy with Bowe/Fitz/Earls going to 15 he's going to fall back on Murphy if it comes to it. Hardly a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭twinytwo

danthefan wrote: »
    Typical Kidney really. Rather than looking at someone like Gilroy with Bowe/Fitz/Earls going to 15 he's going to fall back on Murphy if it comes to it. Hardly a surprise.

lets be honest neither earls or fitz are great fb's

• Advertisement

twinytwo wrote: »
    danthefan wrote: »

lets be honest neither earls or fitz are great fb's
    I agree, I think it'd be better having Duffy or Darcy in the squad though. Neither are international class, but both are actual full backs based in Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement