Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭jacothelad

wixfjord wrote: »
    No it's a camp for the WC players I think.
    Over on sat too iirc.

I feel they would have been better 'getting to know each other' as opponents on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭jasper11

anybody know how mushy been going at sale. just heard he was picked today but pulled out before kick off injured. must be doin ok if he was picked? miracles do happen no?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

jasper11 wrote: »
    anybody know how mushy been going at sale. just heard he was picked today but pulled out before kick off injured. must be doin ok if he was picked? miracles do happen no?
    3 starts out of 4 in the Amlin 1 start and 3 sub in the league since he returned from the RWC. I think he has been doing decently but not great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭jasper11

3 starts out of 4 in the Amlin 1 start and 3 sub in the league since he returned from the RWC. I think he has been doing decently but not great

ONE OF THERE PROPS HAS GONE OFF WITH BAD INJURY APPARANTLY SO IF MUSHY NOT GOT BAD NJURY HE MIGHT GET A RUN BEFORE 6 NATIONS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

ONE OF THERE PROPS HAS GONE OFF WITH BAD INJURY APPARANTLY SO IF MUSHY NOT GOT BAD NJURY HE MIGHT GET A RUN BEFORE 6 NATIONS.

Yep, looked really really bad, he was in a lot of pain. Mushy was meant to start ahead of him anyway, but now there is nobody standing in his way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

What difference would that make?

FFS don't let Deccie know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

jacothelad wrote: »
    FFS don't let Deccie know.

Lets throw stones at his sky dish or something

durkadurka wrote: »
    :D:pac::D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

When is the extended squad announced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

When is the extended squad announced?

16th I think. Last year a 32 man squad was announced so we may see something similar.

Hype710 wrote: »
    16th I think. Last year a 32 man squad was announced so we may see something similar.
    Wolfhound squad was announced at the same time last year and there were a number of players who moved between the squads.

Pretty sure it was really a 60 man squad last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

durkadurka wrote: »

Ara Deccie is too cute to pay for Sky

Ara Deccie is too cute to pay for Sky

streams it like the rest of us so...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

The game vs the saxons is coming on 28th, anyone got any preferences for people they would like to see.

its_phil wrote: »
    The game vs the saxons is coming on 28th, anyone got any preferences for people they would like to see.

How do you balance between young talent you want to give experience and players who are doing a trial for positions. My team below, the better of 4/5 to bench in the six nations, the best back row to bench during the six nations, if 12/13 works as a pairing I'd start them for the 6Ns, I wouldn't be comfortable going into 6Ns with a center pairing who had never played together before. My other pics are players who deserve a reward for doing well or I think they are future internationals who should get experience.

1 McAllister
    2 Sherry
    3 Archer
    4 Toner
    5 DRyan
    6 McLaughlin
    7 POM
    8 Henry
    9 Marshall
    10 Madigan
    11 Gilroy
    12 McFadden
    13 Griffin
    14 TOH
    15 DKearney

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

1 McAllister
    2 Sherry
    3 Archer
    4 Toner
    5 DRyan
    6 McLaughlin
    7 POM
    8 Henry
    9 Marshall
    10 Madigan
    11 Gilroy
    12 McFadden
    13 Griffin
    14 TOH
    15 DKearney

I'd swap Hagan for Archer and McCarthy for one of the second rows. If McCarthy wasn't picked in the 30 squad I'd go nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

its_phil wrote: »

How do you balance between young talent you want to give experience and players who are doing a trial for positions. My team below, the better of 4/5 to bench in the six nations, the best back row to bench during the six nations, if 12/13 works as a pairing I'd start them for the 6Ns, I wouldn't be comfortable going into 6Ns with a center pairing who had never played together before. My other pics are players who deserve a reward for doing well or I think they are future internationals who should get experience.

1 McAllister
    2 Sherry
    3 Archer
    4 Toner
    5 DRyan
    6 McLaughlin
    7 POM
    8 Henry
    9 Marshall
    10 Madigan
    11 Gilroy
    12 McFadden
    13 Griffin
    14 TOH
    15 DKearney

Generally ok but McFadden and Ryan are gone beyond the Wolfhounds stage. Stick Spence or Cave in at centre and maybe Tuohy at lock and I'd be happy. Also, Hagan ahead of Archer.

Generally ok but McFadden and Ryan are gone beyond the Wolfhounds stage. Stick Spence or Cave in at centre and maybe Tuohy at lock and I'd be happy. Also, Hagan ahead of Archer.
    I'd actually have Tuohy starting for the senior team alongside POC and whichever of Ryan and Toner does better for the wolfhounds on the bench. Thats just me.

In the center I went for the pairing I think should be first choice for the 6Ns and am looking at the wolfhounds match to give them experience together since they have never played together before. Maybe thats not right but I think its a good idea to help them build a partnership before being faced with wales

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I'd actually have Tuohy starting for the senior team alongside POC and whichever of Ryan and Toner does better for the wolfhounds on the bench. Thats just me.

In the center I went for the pairing I think should be first choice for the 6Ns and am looking at the wolfhounds match to give them experience together since they have never played together before. Maybe thats not right but I think its a good idea to help them build a partnership before being faced with wales

Rightly or wrongly, the odds of a Connacht player starting on the national team for the 6N without any experience at that level, are absolutely astronomic. It's sad but true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I'd like to see Ruddock ahead of McLaughlin or Henry, realistically the latter 2 are never going to become regulars at international rugby, Ruddock has a good chance though. Henry lacks power for 8 and barely plays there nowadays.

McSharry should be in the running too. Backline should be tasty regardless who is there, interesting that in the centres we could go with 3 different provincial partnerships. Spence/Cave, Mcfadden/O'Malley, McSharry/Griffin. I like the balance of the connacht one best myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

1 McAllister
    2 Sherry
    3 Archer
    4 Toner
    5 DRyan
    6 McLaughlin
    7 POM
    8 Henry
    9 Marshall
    10 Madigan
    11 Gilroy
    12 McFadden
    13 Griffin
    14 TOH
    15 DKearney

The only reason Archer should be in the A squad is to work with Feek, the guy has miles to go yet. Wouldn't mind having a look at Caldwell, rumours abound he's playing well in the AP. Don't see the point in giving Ryan A time.

1 McAllister
    2 Sherry
    3 Archer....:eek::eek::eek:
    4 Toner
    5 DRyan
    6 McLaughlin
    7 POM
    8 Henry
    9 Marshall
    10 Madigan
    11 Gilroy
    12 McFadden
    13 Griffin
    14 TOH
    15 DKearney

Having seen Archer a few times this season getting royally humped by pretty average looseheads, to put him in against whoever is going to be at l.h. for England will be a really good scrummager. Archer would be lucky to stay on the pitch after a while. He is pretty hopeless. He actually looks fat and unfit. There are a few possible tight heads who are certainly better in nearly every facet of play even if they aren't top drawer players themselves. Hagan or Declan Fitzpatrick for example or John Andress all have a better claim to 'A' status than Archer. I think anyone who thinks Archer is or will become an international player is deluding them selves on current evidence.
    The only reason Archer should be in the A squad is to work with Feek, the guy has miles to go yet. Wouldn't mind having a look at Caldwell, rumours abound he's playing well in the AP. Don't see the point in giving Ryan A time.

Caldwell has been frequently Bath's motm. He was a real loss to rugby here due in part to bad man management. He obviously fell out with McLaughlin over something - perhaps his perceived on-field discipline problems (not really as bad as made out) or maybe Brian didn't like his tattoo art. There are no Irish second rows, apart from O'Connell, with his natural ability. Caldwell is extremely athletic and quick for a 6'7" guy and he can pass really well. He is actually a considerably better ball carrier than POC - though that wouldn't be difficult. Caldwell under someone like Schmidt and his team would be a great player. He was pretty much abandoned at Ulster for Barker and Stevenson which is quite frankly laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Having seen Archer a few times this season getting royally humped by pretty average looseheads, to put him in against whoever is going to be at l.h. for England will be a really good scrummager. Archer would be lucky to stay on the pitch after a while. He is pretty hopeless. He actually looks fat and unfit. There are a few possible tight heads who are certainly better in nearly every facet of play even if they aren't top drawer players themselves. Hagan or Declan Fitzpatrick for example or John Andress all have a better claim to 'A' status than Archer. I think anyone who thinks Archer is or will become an international player is deluding them selves on current evidence.

Don't forget that Archer won a few penalties for Munster against Ulster in the first half. He has very little experience yet and it was his Munster start for a while. I'm not saying he'll be a world beater but I wouldn't write him off yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

profitius wrote: »
    Don't forget that Archer won a few penalties for Munster against Ulster in the first half. He has very little experience yet and it was his Munster start for a while. I'm not saying he'll be a world beater but I wouldn't write him off yet.

I wouldn't either, but he doesn't deserve an A spot. In an Archer vs. Hagan Battle of Limited Gametime (not quite as catchy as Rumble in the Jungle), Hagan has to win out on the basis of being a better scrummager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Caldwell has been frequently Bath's motm. He was a real loss to rugby here due in part to bad man management. He obviously fell out with McLaughlin over something - perhaps his perceived on-field discipline problems (not really as bad as made out) or maybe Brian didn't like his tattoo art. There are no Irish second rows, apart from O'Connell, with his natural ability. Caldwell is extremely athletic and quick for a 6'7" guy and he can pass really well. He is actually a considerably better ball carrier than POC - though that wouldn't be difficult. Caldwell under someone like Schmidt and his team would be a great player. He was pretty much abandoned at Ulster for Barker and Stevenson which is quite frankly laughable.

Do you know how long his contract with Bath is? I'd love him at Leinster, he's been really impressive when I've seen him play with Bath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Hagz wrote: »
    Do you know how long his contract with Bath is? I'd love him at Leinster, he's been really impressive when I've seen him play with Bath.

2 years. His contract ends the summer the new rulings come in. Watch this space. I'd be surprised if one of the provinces doesn't make an approach to him. Cullen will be 35 and Browne will be 33. Leinster will definitely be looking to plug the gap. Caldwell will only be 28.

profitius wrote: »

He didn't 'win' penalties. 2 penalties were awarded for binding offences and one when the Ulster scrum went tits up. If you consider that inexperience is a factor, consider also then that the guy who mullered him in the second half is younger and even less experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

He didn't 'win' penalties. 2 penalties were awarded for binding offences and one when the Ulster scrum went tits up. If you consider that inexperience is a factor, consider also then that the guy who mullered him in the second half is younger and even less experienced.

Archer was marching him backwards in the first half remember. Credit to McAllister for being cute enough to change things in the second half. Archer couldn't cope but he is still 22 years old which is young for a prop.

I'm not calling for Archer to be in the Ireland A squad or anything I just think its too early to write him off. He did have some good performances before the Ospreys match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

I think McCarthy has arguably been the best Irish lock this season and he should be involved with the national team this spring.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement