Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

danthefan wrote: »

He will penalise us if we go backwards. If we start going forward we'll get the decisions. See HEC final in 2011.
    As a Munster fan I always get a little apprehensive when I see him named as ref. And in fairness, his reffing of the scrum when we played Italy last year was diabolical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

poite garcas and barnes:(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Poite is one of the best in the business, just so long as there are as few scrums as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It was my understanding that he was offered a contract by Munster but chose to leave instead.

Ah! I stand corrected. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Barnes x 2 away
    Poite
    Walsh
    And Garces

What rugby god have we annoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

What refs would people actually like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Anything but Clancy, Barnes or Pearson suits me fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Nigel Owens

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

phog wrote: »
    He's only 29, a lot younger than the likes of BOD & POC have missed a lot of this season already.

When you're 29 and you realise that the number of years that you have left playing at a high level are limited, having to miss the guts of a full season is a big blow.

Agreed it's even worse for BOD and POC.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭phog

chippers wrote: »
    When you're 29 and you realise that the number of years that you have left playing at a high level are limited, having to miss the guts of a full season is a big blow.

Agreed it's even worse for BOD and POC.

TBH, I think missing a huge chunk of any season for a pro player is a big blow but as I say he's only 29, if he recovers his fitness and his form then he can enjoy a few more good years playing rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Poite is one of the best in the business, just so long as there are as few scrums as possible

I'd agree with this. I always get that "ugh" feeling when I see him named, get part way through the game and think "he's actually pretty good" then see a daft scrum decision and remember why I thought "ugh". It's very frustrating because if a player has a known weakness in his game you expect him to address it in some way. Yet I've seen nothing to indicate that Poite has tried to address his issues at scrum-time. That said, you know what you need to do to get the advantage. It could be worse and just be incredible random.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Sorry for the random question: I'm gonna be in Edinburgh on the same weekend as the 6 nations match in February. I'd love to get tickets to it. How would I go about trying to get tickets to the match at this stage (in the Ireland section)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

NEDDURC wrote: »
    Sorry for the random question: I'm gonna be in Edinburgh on the same weekend as the 6 nations match in February. I'd love to get tickets to it. How would I go about trying to get tickets to the match at this stage (in the Ireland section)?

Here you go man. Tickets for Scottish matches are readily available from the SRU:

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/scottishrugby/default.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

gally74 wrote: »

McSharry has been beast at 12 this season..

..unfortuntaly they will be lucky to get into the Woflhound squad with Kidney..
    Be great if for the Wolfhound Saxons game in the Sportsground there was a good contingent of Connacht lads playing- McSharry, Henshaw, TOH, Marimon and Buckley all should be in the mix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

What! And then they'll be poached by A.N. other..... Under the radar they will stay!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

According to his wiki page, Dave McSharry is also "The best call of duty player to grace the earth." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

wprathead wrote: »
    McSharry has been beast at 12 this season..

..unfortuntaly they will be lucky to get into the Woflhound squad with Kidney..
    Be great if for the Wolfhound Saxons game in the Sportsground there was a good contingent of Connacht lads playing- McSharry, Henshaw, TOH, Marimon and Buckley all should be in the mix

It's a great thing about that crew is that the eldest of them was born in 1990. only 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

A.N. other

Why are there full stops after the A and N when people write A.N. other. It has always puzzled me. What do the A and N stand for? Genuine question!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

A. N. Other

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

A. N. Other is either a placeholder name or a pseudonym used by a person wishing to remain anonymous, the former being more commonly encountered. It is most used in the United Kingdom, and as such is often written in the common British English style as AN Other without punctuation or spacing between the initials. Occasionally it may be abbreviated to ANO, or — in cases where an explicitly female name is acceptable — rendered as Ann(e) Other.

As a placeholder name, A. N. Other is commonly employed in lists of cricket players, where players' names are traditionally listed as initials and surname (e.g., I. T. Botham), for players whose names have not yet been announced, or that are unknown. (e.g., "Additional players: A. W. Smith, J. C. Taylor and A. N. Other.")[1]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

O'shea says he wants to secure English Club Rugby by 2015 so we can forget about him tajing over in 2013. =(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

dtpc191991 wrote: »
    O'shea says he wants to secure English Club Rugby by 2015 so we can forget about him tajing over in 2013. =(

I think this is a good thing because while yes he has been very impressive with the Harlequins he is too inexperienced for my liking to be Ireland coach, hopefully now he continues his development as a coach and could be the successor to Declan Kidney's successor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I think this is a good thing because while yes he has been very impressive with the Harlequins he is too inexperienced for my liking to be Ireland coach, hopefully now he continues his development as a coach and could be the successor to Declan Kidney's successor.

I don't like this argument. Declan Kidney and all his wonderful experience has been a massive part of the god awful job he's done post-2009. He had the experience of winning with Munster players playing Munster tactics and tried to transfer this to international rugby. We won the slam (which was a superb achievement) and then the game changed and Ireland didn't.

O'Shea has his team playing great rugby, winning rugby, he's doing a huge amount to develop talent and I think he'd do a fine job as Ireland coach, it's a real shame he's essentially ruled himself out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

I don't like this argument. Declan Kidney and all his wonderful experience has been a massive part of the god awful job he's done post-2009. He had the experience of winning with Munster players playing Munster tactics and tried to transfer this to international rugby. We won the slam (which was a superb achievement) and then the game changed and Ireland didn't.

O'Shea has his team playing great rugby, winning rugby, he's doing a huge amount to develop talent and I think he'd do a fine job as Ireland coach, it's a real shame he's essentially ruled himself out.

If Joe is gone back to NZ too then, who would your top3 candidates be
    We can all dream... I would have to have a think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Are you familiar with a man named Declan Kidney at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

ssaye wrote: »

I don't know tbh and I'm too tired to think about it. I wouldn't be ruling anyone (read: CO'S) out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Having experience won't make you instantly a good coach, that is not what I said, it is however, a valuable quality which should compliment good inovative tactics, good player management and squad/youth development. Kidney has been unsuccessful because he has failed to show these qualities, so his experience has counted for nothing.

I still however want an experienced coach but it is essential that, unlike Kidney they also be a forward thinking coach who has adaptable tactics. Just because Kidney hasn't used his experience to good effect doesn't mean experience is a bad thing, the complete opposite is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

ssaye wrote: »

Is Mark Anscombe an option. He has Ulster playing some great rugby. Looks like he could take Ireland forward and he doesn't seem to be afraid of giving youth a shot. (Henderson).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Saw a tweet a moment ago stating that Stephen McNamara (PR guy for Ryanair) is taking up a role with IRFU in February.

IF true, reckon the blazers are looking to limit the damage from the announcement of the retention of Deccie? McNamara is, after all, a master of pulling media strings for the benefit of his employer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Eponymous wrote: »
    Saw a tweet a moment ago stating that Stephen McNamara (PR guy for Ryanair) is taking up a role with IRFU in February.

IF true, reckon the blazers are looking to limit the damage from the announcement of the retention of Deccie? McNamara is, after all, a master of pulling media strings for the benefit of his employer.

They (the IRFU) have been looking for a Director of Communications (which I presume what he would be doing) for a bit now. Brendan Fanning wrote about it a while ago. It's the first article on his blog below:

http://brendanfanningrugby.wordpress.com/

I doubt it's anything to do with Kidney, more a role that the union need in the modern world.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement