Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

GerM wrote: »
    Williams is already been locked in for NZ after representing them at lower levels.

I don't think he is. He never played for their U21s as far as I can see which is their second team, not the Maori side.
    Eponymous wrote: »
    Saw a tweet a moment ago stating that Stephen McNamara (PR guy for Ryanair) is taking up a role with IRFU in February.

IF true, reckon the blazers are looking to limit the damage from the announcement of the retention of Deccie? McNamara is, after all, a master of pulling media strings for the benefit of his employer.

So, we'll have to pay extra to have a leak, extra to walk up the steps, extra to breathe the air in the stadium.......All for our own good of course.:D:D:D:D:D

Deccie is a cert to get a new contract. Coaching above international standard 101.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

jacothelad wrote: »
    I don't think he is. He never played for their U21s as far as I can see which is their second team, not the Maori side.
    Junior All Blacks (which is another word for NZA) is their second side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Junior All Blacks (which is another word for NZA) is their second side

Indeed and NW represented them back in 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

This is completely out of the blue here. But seeing that Doran-Jones is starting for Northampton against Ulster this weekend it got me wondering.

He was eligible for Ireland through his mother and played U19 and U21 for Ireland as recently as 2006. He was with Leinster from 2003-2007 and was in Trinity for some of that time.

So my question is. With a guy like this, capable of playing both sides of the scrum and Irish qualified, why in the name of christ didn't our all knowing IRFU lock this guy down before England called him up??? He was called up in 2009 to replace the injured Dave Wilson at age 24.
    At a time when Ireland desperately needed props, with John Hayes and Marcus Horan starting for us at the time, why why why did we let this guy get away?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Doran Jones wanted to play for England

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Doran Jones wanted to play for England

Why did he switch from England U18s to Ireland underage then?

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    Why did he switch from England U18s to Ireland underage then?

No idea, possibly because he wasn't being selected or something along those lines. The IRFU were after him though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

What a disastrous weekend for Irish rugby so far, three provincial losses and it looks like we have lost Strauss and Bowe for the Six Nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,757 ✭✭✭✭bilston

What a disastrous weekend for Irish rugby so far, three provincial losses and it looks like we have lost Strauss and Bowe for the Six Nations.

Not good, hopefully a few minds will be focused now. I don't fancy them today but I hope Munster do their bit to avoid the clean sweep.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/11033.php

No timeline given yet for Bowe but it doesn't sound good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Strauss out for 'long term' too according to the IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,778 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

BBC reporting that Tommy Bowe will miss the 6 Nations.

Nothing mentioned about Strauss though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

Very bad weekend for Irish rugby. Depressing really

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Just for the record - Doran-Jones was born in Enfield (a borough of London), not Enfield in Ireland.

The reason why he played underage for Ireland is because he went to Trinity College.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Based on current form if the six nations was tomorrow what team would you pick?

1 Healy
    2 Best
    3 Bent
    4 McCarthy
    5 Ryan
    6 SOB
    7 Henry
    8 Heaslip
    9 Murray
    10 Sexton
    11 Zebo
    12 McSharry
    13 Cave
    14 Gilroy
    15 Earls

16 Strauss
    17 Ross
    18 Kilcoyne
    19 Henderson
    20 Coughlan
    21 Reddan
    22 Jackson
    23 Trimble

Bare in mind Strauss Fez Bod Kearney Poc and Bowe are injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

dtpc191991 wrote: »

1 Healy
    2 Best
    3 Bent
    4 McCarthy
    5 Ryan
    6 SOB
    7 Henry
    8 Heaslip
    9 Murray
    10 Sexton
    11 Zebo
    12 McSharry
    13 Cave
    14 Gilroy
    15 Earls

16 Strauss
    17 Ross
    18 Kilcoyne
    19 Henderson
    20 Coughlan
    21 Reddan
    22 Jackson
    23 Trimble

Might want to change 16 so!
    what's the timeline on fez and kearney btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

3 Bent

nah Ross will still be number 3. Bent has had enough game time to warrant being put in at 3

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

SOB will be taking some time off in the cooler I expect after his karate chop on Sivivatu on Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

SOB will be taking some time off in the cooler I expect after his karate chop on Sivivatu on Sat.

You reckon he'll be cited for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Quint2010 wrote: »
    You reckon he'll be cited for that?

Would be surprised if he wasn't.

• Advertisement

SOB got away with a punch against Toulouse in the semi in 2011. He might get away with it again. The teflon farmer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

SOB got away with a punch against Toulouse in the semi in 2011. He might get away with it again. The teflon farmer

That name will never stick.

I'm sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

.ak wrote: »
    Would be surprised if he wasn't.

Would be interesting to see what sort of ban he'd get, in the context of Dylan Hartley's two-week suspension

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Would be interesting to see what sort of ban he'd get, in the context of Dylan Hartley's two-week suspension

Its 48 hours from the end of the game a decision has to made, correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

1 Healy
    2 Best
    3 Bent
    4 McCarthy
    5 Ryan
    6 SOB
    7 Henry
    8 Heaslip
    9 Murray
    10 Sexton
    11 Zebo
    12 McSharry
    13 Cave
    14 Gilroy
    15 Earls

16 Strauss
    17 Ross
    18 Kilcoyne
    19 Henderson
    20 Coughlan
    21 Reddan
    22 Jackson
    23 Trimble

Cronin for Strauss obviously. Has Henderson been playing much second row this season? I'd also have Ferg ahead of Trimble on his current form and given his versatility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Gilroy will be given an extended run in the Ulster team now with Bowe's injury. Trimble will play in his more natural 14 jersey, Gilroy will wear 11. It could be the making of Gilroy before the 6 Nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

molloyjh wrote: »
    Cronin for Strauss obviously. Has Henderson been playing much second row this season? I'd also have Ferg ahead of Trimble on his current form and given his versatility.

He moved there when Muller went off injured and started on Saturday there. I'd say he'll get a good bit of time there over the next few weeks. It's pretty close between Ferg and Trimble, but I'd agree with Ferg due to his versatility. Only problem is Kidney doesn't seem to realise he has this and would just move Sexton to 12 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

1 Healy
    2 Best
    3 Ross
    4 McCarthy
    5 Ryan
    6 SOB
    7 POM
    8 Heaslip
    9 Murray
    10 Sexton
    11 Earls
    12 D'arcy
    13 Cave
    14 Gilroy
    15 Zebo

16 Cronin (although I'd be tempted to try Sherry)
    17 Bent
    18 Kilcoyne
    19 DOC
    20 Henderson
    21 Reddan
    22 Jackson
    23 McFadden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Baker87

molloyjh wrote: »

McFadden is barley a HC winger let alone international standard. He offers very little on the wing IMO. Trimble all day long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

C. Healy
    R. Best
    M. Ross
    M. McCarthy
    D. Ryan
    S. O'Brien
    C. Henry
    J. Heaslip
    C. Murray
    J. Sexton
    C. Gilroy
    L. Marshall
    D. Cave
    A. Trimble
    K. Earls

M. Sherry
    D. Kilcoyne
    M. Bent
    I. Henderson
    P. O'Mahony
    E. Reddan
    P. Jackson
    S. Zebo

My changes in bold. Henry has to feature IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement