Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think we should just spend the next 3 6 nations campaigns concentrating on beating France.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Grimebox wrote: »
    BOD's reaction to the RWC draw. He hints at retiring

He's looking at 2014 to finish up. If he's still going strong then, he might take one more year. I'd really like to see him bow out of rugby at the end of the 2015 World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

If bod won't be around in 2015, shouldn't he bow out sooner rather than later? Best we get used to life without him....

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭davidpfitz

Benny Cake wrote: »
    If bod won't be around in 2015, shouldn't he bow out sooner rather than later? Best we get used to life without him....

I think he might like to go at the end of the Lions, if selected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 15 Meyo

I'd try and keep him aslong as possible then when he gone we can deal with the reality of replacing him.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

To be honest I doubt BOD will do an O'Gara. He seems like the type who will know when his time is up. Currently hes a much better option than Keith Earls at 13. If that continues to be the case, then I see no reason why he should retire before the World Cup. He'll be 35 by then, the same age as ROG now and younger than Mike Catt who appeared in a World Cup final. Whether he'll get the luck to stay injury free until then is another matter entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

He'll be close to 37 tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

We need to cyrogenically freeze him and thaw him out ever 4 years for a couple months.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Higher wrote: »

To be honest I doubt BOD will do an O'Gara. He seems like the type who will know when his time is up. Currently hes a much better option than Keith Earls at 13. If that continues to be the case, then I see no reason why he should retire before the World Cup. He'll be 35 by then, the same age as ROG now and younger than Mike Catt who appeared in a World Cup final. Whether he'll get the luck to stay injury free until then is another matter entirely.

He'll be a bit older than 35 though.

If the body is willing and he is still the best man for the job then why not. Age is only a statistic, it's performance that counts.

And no it isn't double standards for BOD over ROG before anyone suggests it. BOD is still clearly the best player available at 13 to Ireland. Mind you he will probably still be the best 13 available when he's 45 never mind 35!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Ah I'd love to see BOD play another RWC if he was still up to putting in a decent performance.

Felt so bad for him after the Wales match last year, he was truly devastated. Would be fantastic if he had another chance to put that right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

It is a joy to have bod the past 12 years in an Irish shirt, but it's up to him he owes us nothing, he has always come across as leveled headed and I'm sure he has a plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

The man has done more than anyone for Irish Rugby than anyone has or probably ever will, but I do think the 2015 WC would be too far and BOD knows that. He deserves to be able to rest and move on to raising his kid so that we can have more super talented 13s in 20+ years time . XD

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Ah I'd love to see BOD play another RWC if he was still up to putting in a decent performance.

Felt so bad for him after the Wales match last year, he was truly devastated. Would be fantastic if he had another chance to put that right.

I thought he looked even more upset after the second NZ test this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

durkadurka wrote: »
    He'll be close to 37 tbf.

2 words: Brad Thorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Swiwi wrote: »

2 words: Brad Thorn.

Oh God Swiwi, delete that comment quick before we start seeing that point being made again and again. The 2 are anything but comparable....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Hehe, remember when everyone was convinced BOD would move to Flanker to finish up his career? Could squeeze a couple more years out of him. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

.ak wrote: »
    Hehe, remember when everyone was convinced BOD would move to Flanker to finish up his career? Could squeeze a couple more years out of him. ;)

When was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

When was this?

A few years back. Started off as a suggestion from the RTE panel iirc.

A few years back. Started off as a suggestion from the RTE panel iirc.

I dont remember it, but he sure would make an awesome openside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

molloyjh wrote: »
    Oh God Swiwi, delete that comment quick before we start seeing that point being made again and again. The 2 are anything but comparable....

Why not?

Grimebox wrote: »
    Why not?

Because tighthead lock is a position which requires zero pace, so ageing isn't much of a problem, but outside centres need a quick step and pace, so when you start to lose those in your 30s you become fairly ineffective.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I don't remember that myself. In saying that I've always believed that if BOD was an O/S he'd be a world class 7, up there with McCaw IMO.

Because tighthead lock is a position which requires zero pace, so ageing isn't much of a problem, but outside centres need a quick step and pace, so when you start to lose those in your 30s you become fairly ineffective.

Or you can try your hand at 12...

Or you can try your hand at 12...

Even 12 isnt the same as 4. Sure it doesn't require the same pace as 13 but its not gonna keep BOD as one of the best in the world when he is 37(as Thorn is)

Even 12 isnt the same as 4. Sure it doesn't require the same pace as 13 but its not gonna keep BOD as one of the best in the world when he is 37(as Thorn is)

I know, I'm just messin'

I know, I'm just messin'

Thank god :) I almost had to resort to saying the banned line 'you should watch more rugby' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

If BOD is still one of our best options come the next RWC, we are doing something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Otacon wrote: »
    If BOD is still one of our best options come the next RWC, we are doing something wrong.

or hes doing something very right:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

Just wondering will Fat Nick from Ulster be qualified next year for Ireland because of his 2 years for Munster or does there have to be a continuous period of residency? :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement