Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Farrelly made the point that these players are good enough to start for their provinces but are behind foreign imports and that will affect the national team and their consideration for it.

What a load of nonsense Farrelly :rolleyes: Sniffing glue at the 'S'Indo! LARF! :confused:

Sarcasm detectors set to stun!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Another journalist (like Thornley) who has sold out.
    Thornley sold out but he can still write good articles when he's in the mood to.

Farrelly has always been a brainless moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

Farrelly made the point that these players are good enough to start for their provinces but are behind foreign imports and that will affect the national team and their consideration for it.

What a load of nonsense Farrelly :rolleyes: Sniffing glue at the 'S'Indo! LARF! :confused:

Sarcasm detectors set to stun!
    He also doesn't seem to have heard of squad rotation and thinks if a player is the second choice in his position that he'll never get a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

ray jay wrote: »
    He also doesn't seem to have heard of squad rotation and thinks if a player is the second choice in his position that he'll never get a start.

That's because they don't seem to do much of squad rotation at Munster; just ask Ian Keatley

ray jay wrote: »

Nor have Ulster or Munster to be honest.

Leinster and Connacht are they only team where 1st choice could change drastically in a few positions and there wouldn't be shock.

Keatley was Man of the Match in a sh1t load of games the 1st two months of the season. ROG comes back and Keatley plays once in the following month.

Ulster start Chris Henry ahead of Willie Faloon at 7. Which is criminal for me.

McGahan & McLaughlin have their team and that's it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Chris Henry is doing excellently at 7, better than he has played before in his career imo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Nor have Ulster or Munster to be honest.

Leinster and Connacht are they only team where 1st choice could change drastically in a few positions and there wouldn't be shock.

Keatley was Man of the Match in a sh1t load of games the 1st two months of the season. ROG comes back and Keatley plays once in the following month.

Ulster start Chris Henry ahead of Willie Faloon at 7. Which is criminal for me.

McGahan & McLaughlin have their team and that's it.

I'm going to disagree there.

I'm fairly sure that Munster used more players last year than any other province and has used an awful lot this season too. People cite Keatley as an example and I do think he should get more time but in other positions, he has changed it up.

Archer has got a couple of games with a close to full-strength pack, both Du Preez and Horan have been used- the same with Sherry and Varley. TOD & DOC2 have both been challenging for first-team places.

Barnes, Zebo, Murphy, Hurley have all got chances in the backline.

Obviously injuries play a part, but that's the same in every squad and anyone who disagrees is just wrong.

Fireball07 wrote: »

I'm fairly sure that Munster used more players last year than any other province and has used an awful lot this season too. People cite Keatley as an example and I do think he should get more time but in other positions, he has changed it up.

Archer has got a couple of games with a close to full-strength pack, both Du Preez and Horan have been used- the same with Sherry and Varley. TOD & DOC2 have both been challenging for first-team places.

Obviously injuries play a part, but that's the same in every squad and anyone who disagrees is just wrong.

Horan should not be used; surely there is a younger loosehead in the Munster ranks to bring through. correct me if im wrong.

That's fair enough but I'm not on about chances in the team as such.

I'm speaking more of a select XV.

Munster KNOW their XV, Ulster KNOW their XV.

With Leinster and Connacht numerous changes can be made even when they are up against top class team. i.e Did Connacht once put out the same XV in the HC? Leinster can also interchange without batting an eye lid in numerous positions and they do often.

Munster and Ulster would never (bar injury) play anyone but their chief XVs in a major game if possible. The dreggs only play against Connacht or Aironi, etc.

I feel that a lot of players at Ulster and Munster know they are squad / bench players, nothing more. But in the other two provinces almost every senior player feels that they are in contention for a place in the 22 regardless.

Let's look at midfield. At Munster a big game is approaching. If any one of TOL, Keatley, Barnes and Murphy started we'd be shocked and the players themselves would be shocked at their selection. At Leinster with the same scenario Boss, Madigan, McFadden & O'Malley wouldn't be shocked if they started nor would we. Even though on their day both sets of players can be as good as one another.

That's fair enough but I'm not on about chances in the team as such.

I'm speaking more of a select XV.

Munster KNOW their XV, Ulster KNOW their XV.

With Leinster and Connacht numerous changes can be made and are against top class team. i.e Did Connacht once put out the same XV in the HC? Leinster can interchange without batting an eye lid in numerous positions and they do.

Munster and Ulster would never (bar injury) play anyone but their chief XVs in a major game only against Connacht or Aironi, etc.

I feel that a lot of players at Ulster and Munster know they are squad / bench players, nothing more. Where as in the other two provinces almost every senior player feels that they are in contention for a place in the 22 regardless.

Let's look at midfield. At Munster a big game is approaching. If TOL, Keatley, Barnes and Murphy started we'd be shocked and the player themselves would be shocked. At Leinster with the same scenario Boss, Madigan, McFadden & O'Malley wouldn't be shocked if they started nor would we.

Speak for yourself. If Boss, Madigan, McFadden and O'Malley played against Munster or in a big Heineken Cup game with BOD, Sexton, D'Arcy, Reddan fit, I would be absolutely shocked.

There is no way Sexton or BOD will ever be dropped for a big game, and Schmidt seems to like D'Arcy for the big games too.

As far as I'm concerned, Leinster know their strongest backline, their main rotation for big games comes in the forwards (McLaughlin/Jennings) (Cullen/Toner) and (VDM/Healy & Ross/White). I also expect Strauss to start all the big games but Cronin has been rotated too. Reddan/Boss is the only one I expect to be switched if they are playing a big game.

• Advertisement

Speak for yourself. If Boss, Madigan, McFadden and O'Malley played against Munster or in a big Heineken Cup game with BOD, Sexton, D'Arcy, Reddan fit, I would be absolutely shocked.

There is no way Sexton or BOD will ever be dropped for a big game, and Schmidt seems to like D'Arcy for the big games too.

As far as I'm concerned, Leinster know their strongest backline, their main rotation for big games comes in the forwards (McLaughlin/Jennings) (Cullen/Toner) and (VDM/Healy & Ross/White). I also expect Strauss to start all the big games but Cronin has been rotated too. Reddan/Boss is the only one I expect to be switched if they are playing a big game.

Cronin started against Munster last week

leftleg wrote: »
    Cronin started against Munster last week

I know that... but I have a feeling that was down to giving him some gametime tbh.

But like I said, he has been rotated in for some games.

Horan played for Munster last week too, doesn't mean he'll be there on Sunday.

I was just looking through some oldish Ireland games and I came across this gem. I'd almost succeeded in deleting this from my memory. This is one of the lower points in Irish rugby from the last 10 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StqRJil-CwM&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Clegg wrote: »
    I was just looking through some oldish Ireland games and I came across this gem. I'd almost succeeded in deleting this from my memory. This is one of the lower points in Irish rugby from the last 10 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StqRJil-CwM&feature=related

and that is how Stringer effectively ended his international career. BOD comes off very poorly as a captain in that clip too.

I agree that BOD shouldn't have lost the head in the middle of the pitch but that Stringer pass was absolutely shocking. It was slow and completely telegraphed. He deserved the criticism, just not in such a public fashion.

It still baffles me how we got our World Cup preparation so wrong. The team had gone well in the 6 Nations. Whoever decided that the team needed to go 6 weeks without touching a ball should be shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I agree that BOD shouldn't have lost the head in the middle of the pitch but that Stringer pass was absolutely shocking. It was slow and completely telegraphed. He deserved the criticism, just not in such a public fashion.

It still baffles me how we got our World Cup preparation so wrong. The team had gone well in the 6 Nations. Whoever decided that the team needed to go 6 weeks without touching a ball should be shot.

Also probably didn't help matters being stuck in a hole of a 'hotel' between sessions and matches.

.ak wrote: »
    Also probably didn't help matters being stuck in a hole of a 'hotel' between sessions and matches.
    Whats the story behind this. Were the facilities not up to scratch?

I know Ireland were woefully lacking gametime when going into the World Cup. What other reasons are there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Whats the story behind this. Were the facilities not up to scratch?

I know Ireland were woefully lacking gametime when going into the World Cup. What other reasons are there.

According to Horgan on the radio recently, he said that they spent too much time focusing on rugby. He said they should have relaxed a bit more and enjoyed themselves, but then he also said that the places they stayed in were so boring that all they could really do was play rugby. But yeh, he said the main reason was that they were all just too obsessed with the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_7653033,00.html

Tommy Bowe to undergo surgery, looks like he will miss the summer tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Posted this on main thread. With Bowe out it gives Ireland a chance to give some players a chance

First off I would like to see BOD stay at home. He has been out for a long time and he is not getting any younger so a rest and ready to fire on all cylinders for Leinster and Ireland next season would be great. Also we have seen with BOD gone we have not found a replacement really. This is ideal chance to get a look at few players.

My choice would be to move Earls back out to the wing now Bowe is gone. Bring Cave and EOM into the squad and have a look at them.

Need to bring D'Arcy but would like to see McFadden get more time at 12 as he has shown for Leinster this is his best position.

I am not sure who else is around for 12/13 in Ireland. I know everyone will jump on Earls but I think he is been wasted at 13.

Knowing DK I would guess none of above will happen. He will whip BOD to the death. Will probably bring in Zebo from Munster.

Also Madigan should be on plane. My 2 cent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Anyone who thinks there's even a remote chance that BOD will be left at home is kidding themselves. This is his last crack at NZ, the only team he has yet to beat. He'll be there and starting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

molloyjh wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks there's even a remote chance that BOD will be left at home is kidding themselves. This is his last crack at NZ, the only team he has yet to beat. He'll be there and starting.

Pretty much. I'm guessing but I bet it was one of his goals to get fit for. BOD will be at 13 for all three tests unless injured I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

[QUOTE=Cpt_Blackbeard;77972344BOD comes off very poorly as a captain in that clip too.[/QUOTE]

if BOD had said nothing , it would have looked as if he didn't care - players are human , and react - if my memory is right BOD was the only Irish player to perform at that world cup

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Posted this on main thread. With Bowe out it gives Ireland a chance to give some players a chance

First off I would like to see BOD stay at home. He has been out for a long time and he is not getting any younger so a rest and ready to fire on all cylinders for Leinster and Ireland next season would be great. Also we have seen with BOD gone we have not found a replacement really. This is ideal chance to get a look at few players.

My choice would be to move Earls back out to the wing now Bowe is gone. Bring Cave and EOM into the squad and have a look at them.

Need to bring D'Arcy but would like to see McFadden get more time at 12 as he has shown for Leinster this is his best position.

I am not sure who else is around for 12/13 in Ireland. I know everyone will jump on Earls but I think he is been wasted at 13.

Knowing DK I would guess none of above will happen. He will whip BOD to the death. Will probably bring in Zebo from Munster.

Also Madigan should be on plane. My 2 cent

There is no chance that BOD should or will be left at home.

With Bowe out, Zebo should make the squad. He is the form wing in the country and is starting every week for his province. Provided that he shows improvement on his composure/concentration in the coming weeks, we could see him jump straight into the starting team.

There is no chance that BOD should or will be left at home.

With Bowe out, Zebo should make the squad. He is the form wing in the country and is starting every week for his province. Provided that he shows improvement on his composure/concentration in the coming weeks, we could see him jump straight into the starting team.

Luke Fitz was the form winger before injury. He was class for Leinster during the World Cup and continued that on after the Irish lads came back. If he had to stay in that form after the Wolfhounds game I would say he would have been called up to main squad

He is just feeling his way back in after injury in the last 2 matchs but started to show some flashes last week against Munster. I wouldn't like to be Cardiff. I would guess Fitz will push ahead now with the Bowe news and make the main squad and if he is playing like he was at start of season I would see no reason why.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

leftleg wrote: »
    Warning Farrelly Alert;

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/heineken-cup/hugh-farrelly-ulster-victory-would-be-bad-for-ireland-3072155.html

Good auld Hugh is at it again;

For, while it has been good to see the spark returning to Ravenhill over the past two seasons, there is no escaping the fact that the spine of the team is non-Irish qualified and affecting the touring prospects of Ulster's Ireland hopefuls.

John Afoa -- We saw in Twickenham what the New Zealander's presence is doing for Tom Court's chances of coping at tight-head.

Johann Muller -- Second-row status means one of either Lewis Stevenson (increasingly impressive) or Dan Tuohy will be on the bench.

Pedrie Wannenberg -- Will keep Willie Faloon out of the side and Chris Henry out of position if Stephen Ferris is cleared to play.

Ruan Pienaar -- forcing Paul Marshall to make his name as an impact sub.

As if Dan, Chris and Paul will ever actually get game time under Kidney anyway;

What a silly article; typical Hugh

Anyone read any of the comments about this article on the Independent website?

"Hugh Farrelly - the Clint Newland of irish rugby journalism!"

"Hold the press.
    Headline re-stated.

Hugh Farrelly: Continuing to write about Rugby would be bad for Ireland."

Luke Fitz was the form winger before injury. He was class for Leinster during the World Cup and continued that on after the Irish lads came back. If he had to stay in that form after the Wolfhounds game I would say he would have been called up to main squad

He is just feeling his way back in after injury in the last 2 matchs but started to show some flashes last week against Munster. I wouldn't like to be Cardiff. I would guess Fitz will push ahead now with the Bowe news and make the main squad and if he is playing like he was at start of season I would see no reason why.

To be honest, I completely forgot about Fitz. That said, with Bowe out, one of Zebo/Earls needs to be on the wing if we are to have any chance of scoring any tries through the backs. If Fitz regains the form of a few months ago he should start, but I'd like to see the following backline be tried out at some stage:

9. Murray
    10. Sexton
    11. Zebo
    12. BOD
    13. Earls
    14. Trimble
    15. Kearney

Fitz could either be a straight swap for Zebo at 11, or he could replace him and move to 12 with Earls returning to 11. Bowe's injury is a huge blow, but it is our only chance for experimentation under the current management.

To be honest, I completely forgot about Fitz. That said, with Bowe out, one of Zebo/Earls needs to be on the wing if we are to have any chance of scoring any tries through the backs. If Fitz regains the form of a few months ago he should start, but I'd like to see the following backline be tried out at some stage:

9. Murray
    10. Sexton
    11. Zebo
    12. BOD
    13. Earls
    14. Trimble
    15. Kearney

Fitz could either be a straight swap for Zebo at 11, or he could replace him and move to 12 with Earls returning to 11. Bowe's injury is a huge blow, but it is our only chance for experimentation under the current management.

BOD to 12? no chance!! Would like to see:

9. Murray/Redden
    10. Sexton/Madigan(but it will be ROG)
    11. Trimble/Zebo
    12. McFadden/D'Arcy
    13. BOD/EOM
    14. Earls/Fitz
    15. Kearney/Jones

Second player is back up for position

Depending on form going into tournament could replace Madigan with Keatley. But going on form today I would have Madigan in front of Keatley. Before we get into the kicking Madigan has shown he is a good kicker a number of times. Also if McFadden on field there is nothing to worry about because he is clas kicker if required.

Kearney doesn't have a bad boot on him either......

Bowe will be "replaced" in the match day squad by Fitz.

There's no point pretending otherwise.

Heil Declan
    Discussing on Irish thread, if Fitz gets back to the form before injury he should be in the squad. He was class.

Anyway hope everything goes well for Tommy!!! can't wait to see him live next year. Think I will have to get a few more business trips to Belfast to watch him live for Ulster, also will be good to see him in RDS

Though I agree with the idea that Fitz is back finding form, I think that all he has to do us show solidity to get straight back into the squad. DK works with DK's guys. That's about it.

Expect Earls at 11, Trimble at 14 and the old schoolers in the centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Being honest the last thing that Ireland need at the moment is a trip to NZ,

all that will happen is that we will play the same 16-17 players that we always do because lets face it NZ is not the place to experiment, so kidney will send out the usual suspects and we will learn nothing.

we will play reasonably well in the the first test , pick up a few knocks get well beaten in the second test and pick up some more knocks and put out a patched up team in the third test with kidney claiming to give some of the players on the sideline their chance.

we would have been better off touring the second tier nations and doing some proper experimentation and blooding of players.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement