Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Shelflife wrote: »
    Being honest the last thing that Ireland need at the moment is a trip to NZ,

all that will happen is that we will play the same 16-17 players that we always do because lets face it NZ is not the place to experiment, so kidney will send out the usual suspects and we will learn nothing.

we will play reasonably well in the the first test , pick up a few knocks get well beaten in the second test and pick up some more knocks and put out a patched up team in the third test with kidney claiming to give some of the players on the sideline their chance.

we would have been better off touring the second tier nations and doing some proper experimentation and blooding of players.

Yes but who is going to buy TV rights for an Irish team whipping some of the crap teams. IRFU need money and a test series in NZ will draw crowds in NZ and also TV companies will pay for the rights. Someone has to pay for Aviva and the IRFU are been hit due to recession so they will always play the Tier 1 teams to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Yes but who is going to buy TV rights for an Irish team whipping some of the crap teams. IRFU need money and a test series in NZ will draw crowds in NZ and also TV companies will pay for the rights. Someone has to pay for Aviva and the IRFU are been hit due to recession so they will always play the Tier 1 teams to make money.

ireland also need decent ranking for the next world cup that will draw money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

nerd69 wrote: »

Even if we were to lose all three game, losing to the top ranked side when they're at home won't impact our ranking points much, if at all.

I would've liked to have seen a 2 test series against NZ and a third match against Samoa/Fiji.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

nerd69 wrote: »

Bizarrely enough the test series to NZ in the Summer can only be good for our rankings. If we lose every game by over 15 points, due to NZ being ranked so far ahead of everyone, it has no effect on our ranking points. If we win a game it will have a big effect for us e.g. a draw will give us one full point, a <15 point win 2 full points, and a >15 point win will give us 3 full points!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

The fact that there's no impact on our ranking if we lose should allow us to try out some young lads, but we all know how unlikely that is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Even if we were to lose all three game, losing to the top ranked side when they're at home won't impact our ranking points much, if at all.

I would've liked to have seen a 2 test series against NZ and a third match against Samoa/Fiji.
    I'd have liked to see a big touring party playing a three match test series against NZ and an A tour sharing the same training base in NZ but flying out to Fiji/Samoa/Tonga for games. 50 man squad and 6 games would be my ideal but unfortunately they don't do things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

and that is how Stringer effectively ended his international career. BOD comes off very poorly as a captain in that clip too.

Yet again always a but with you; that clip has everything to do with a muck pass from stringer and absolutely nothing to do with BOD. What do you want him to do. Clap and jump around. Keep digging there captain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I'd have liked to see a big touring party playing a three match test series against NZ and an A tour sharing the same training base in NZ but flying out to Fiji/Samoa/Tonga for games. 50 man squad and 6 games would be my ideal but unfortunately they don't do things like that.

Wouldn't even have needed to go to Fiji or Samoa, they could have arranged a game against the NZ Maori or a provincial team. Maybe it was financially driven but still, would have been nice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Wouldn't even have needed to go to Fiji or Samoa, they could have arranged a game against the NZ Maori or a provincial team. Maybe it was financially driven but still, would have been nice.
    Or Fiji and Samoa might have been willing to come to NZ since they sometimes play home games there to take advantage of their diaspora populations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Yes but who is going to buy TV rights for an Irish team whipping some of the crap teams. IRFU need money and a test series in NZ will draw crowds in NZ and also TV companies will pay for the rights. Someone has to pay for Aviva and the IRFU are been hit due to recession so they will always play the Tier 1 teams to make money.[/QUOTE

The same point could be made regarding seeing Ireland being whipped by NZ. only for the huge amounts of diaspora over there i cant see many NZ fans forking out big money to see Ireland.

It may make money but will do nothing for the overall development of the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

emmet02 wrote: »
    Though I agree with the idea that Fitz is back finding form, I think that all he has to do us show solidity to get straight back into the squad. DK works with DK's guys. That's about it.

Expect Earls at 11, Trimble at 14 and the old schoolers in the centre.

This.

We all know it'll be:

9. Murray
    10. Sexton
    11. Earls
    12. D'Arcy
    13. BOD
    14. Trimble
    15. Kearney

The bench spot will be a straight shoot out between McFadden and Fitz. Zebo could be argued based on his performances but I really don't think he's anywhere near ready for NZ at home. We saw that in the Wolfhounds game. And he offers no cover outside of the wing so will easily lose out to Fitz or Ferg on that basis alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

As far as Kidney is concerned he can cover every position with Zebo on the bench. 12 is "covered" by Sexton. 13 and 15 both "covered" by Earls. 11 and 14 by Zebo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Or Fiji and Samoa might have been willing to come to NZ since they sometimes play home games there to take advantage of their diaspora populations.
    Fiji will not get to play in NZ as NZ and Australia have a ban on anyone associated with the Fijian ruling regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Being honest the last thing that Ireland need at the moment is a trip to NZ,

all that will happen is that we will play the same 16-17 players that we always do because lets face it NZ is not the place to experiment, so kidney will send out the usual suspects and we will learn nothing.

we will play reasonably well in the the first test , pick up a few knocks get well beaten in the second test and pick up some more knocks and put out a patched up team in the third test with kidney claiming to give some of the players on the sideline their chance.

we would have been better off touring the second tier nations and doing some proper experimentation and blooding of players.

I agree and yet disagree with you.

Kidney will do the same thing whether he is playing Fiji or playing New Zealand. The same 22 - 24 players will be the only ones to play barring injury, the same tactics will be used etc. so why not go to New Zealand and maybe steal a sneaky win. If we lose all 3 games we have lost absolutely nothing really and if we win then we've gained a point or so in ratings and a legendary moment in Irish rugby. Kidney doesn't want to learn anything about young players. They will only be parachuted in when the older players bodies give up or when Kidney has no choice but to bring a player in out of pure shame due to calls from the media/general rugby populous.

If we had a proper coach who was building a squad to win a few Grand Slams and for the 2015 World Cup then it would be a good idea to play a few easier nations and give a few young lads a few caps and a taste of the setup. Maybe strike gold with one or two wunderkinds who can start playing 6 Nations immediately and let others grow into international rugby.

At the same time though if we have a proper coach with real tactics and good player management I would still be tempted to go to New Zealand and maybe sneak a win...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

You are mistaken if you think a player gets picked by the selectors as a result of 'pressure' from media or supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Yeah you're right. Kidney has no shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Dreading the summer tour tbh, struggling to see how we'll even keep NZ within sight considering how poor we are at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

As far as Kidney is concerned he can cover every position with Zebo on the bench. 12 is "covered" by Sexton. 13 and 15 both "covered" by Earls. 11 and 14 by Zebo.

But you could say that about any winger you place on the bench.

I honestly can't see D'arcy starting. There'd be no excuse. BOD is back so we have experience in the centre now. Kidneys not stupid, the only reason he started Darce was because it would have been far too risky to start a brand new centre partnership with two young guys. I honestly believe he'll start McFadden at 12.

That leave Fitz on the bench, or possibly EOM/Dave Kearney. Given the fact that he picked Kearney on the bench against Wales rather than picking Zebo and O'Malley was the reserve back at all the games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

RoundBox11 wrote: »

I honestly can't see D'arcy starting. There'd be no excuse. BOD is back so we have experience in the centre now. Kidneys not stupid, the only reason he started Darce was because it would have been far too risky to start a brand new centre partnership with two young guys. I honestly believe he'll start McFadden at 12.

That leave Fitz on the bench, or possibly EOM/Dave Kearney. Given the fact that he picked Kearney on the bench against Wales rather than picking Zebo and O'Malley was the reserve back at all the games.

Thats a very bold assertion you've made, I hope you've facts to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

RoundBox11 wrote: »

Yes but Zebo is from Munster.

• Advertisement

Its the cynic in me, but how many more along with Bowe will miss the summer tour through injury ?

I think that we will find players getting niggles sorted and rested rather then make an ill fated tour down under.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

any chance now , of going down under, with a real chance - i.e. with a new coach - how i wish Schmidt is given a go , rather than the same old , same old Deccie tactics

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭phog

Its the cynic in me, but how many more along with Bowe will miss the summer tour through injury ?

I think that we will find players getting niggles sorted and rested rather then make an ill fated tour down under.

Yea, I'm sure Bowe much preferred to have an operation than play rugby for Ospreys or Ireland.

phog wrote: »
    Yea, I'm sure Bowe much preferred to have an operation than play rugby for Ospreys or Ireland.

Im not saying that players prefer to have operations, im saying that i can see some players getting niggly injuries sorted rather then take the tour.

similar to what cullen did for the six nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

THE Leinster and Ulster games showed us how backwards Kidneys selection policy and tactics really are.

Ryan should have started in front of DOC in the 6 Nations and Tuohy should have been in the squad.

We should aspire to play rugby that stretches defences rather than trying to batter through them. When Sexton plays for Leinster he is much flatter to the gainline. When hes with Ireland he plays much deeper and kicks much more.

Ireland have no real attacking gameplan. We bomb the ball away and hope the opposition make mistakes. We'll never really challenge with the way we're playing now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dougieruggie

Clegg wrote: »
    THE Leinster and Ulster games showed us how backwards Kidneys selection policy and tactics really are.

Ryan should have started in front of DOC in the 6 Nations and Tuohy should have been in the squad.

We should aspire to play rugby that stretches defences rather than trying to batter through them. When Sexton plays for Leinster he is much flatter to the gainline. When hes with Ireland he plays much deeper and kicks much more.

Ireland have no real attacking gameplan. We bomb the ball away and hope the opposition make mistakes. We'll never really challenge with the way we're playing now.

I agree. If Kidney wants to lay down a marker and pick on form he must do the following:

Start Reddan ahead of Murray who has been poor.
    Put Marshall ahead of TOL and Murray as second choice
    Put Henry ahead of POM
    Put Gilroy ahead of Zebo and Hurley
    Put Madigan ahead of O'Gara as second choice OH
    Touhy and Toner should be ahead of O'Callaghan
    Bring Luke Fitzgerald back into the squad.

Play the Leinster way, the backline for NZ should be this
    9.Reddan 10.Sexton 11.Fitzgerald 12.D'arcy 13.O'Driscoll 14.Gilroy 15.Kearney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I'm more convinced than ever now that ROG just has no place in the Ireland setup from now on. He's just not good enough anymore. Other than two kicks to the corner which the Munster supporters celebrated like they'd just won the trophy, he offered nothing. Couldn't get his backline going, no threat himself, not to mention all the really poor kicking from hand in the first half.

danthefan wrote: »
    I'm more convinced than ever now that ROG just has no place in the Ireland setup from now on. He's just not good enough anymore. Other than two kicks to the corner which the Munster supporters celebrated like they'd just won the trophy, he offered nothing. Couldn't get his backline going, no threat himself, not to mention all the really poor kicking from hand in the first half.

Not to mention that Madigan just looks like a better player at the moment.

1.Healy
    2.Best
    3.Ross
    4.O'Connell
    5.Ryan
    6.Ferris
    7.O'Brien
    8.Heaslip
    9.Reddan
    10.Sexton
    11.Fitzgerald
    12.D'arcy
    13.O'Driscoll
    14.Gilroy
    15.Kearney

16.Cronin
    17.Court
    18.Touhy
    19.Henry
    20.Marshall
    21.Madigan
    22.Earls

Thats my first choice 22.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

I agree. If Kidney wants to lay down a marker and pick on form he must do the following:

Start Reddan ahead of Murray who has been poor.
    Put Marshall ahead of TOL and Murray as second choice
    Put Henry ahead of POM
    Put Gilroy ahead of Zebo and Hurley
    Put Madigan ahead of O'Gara as second choice OH
    Touhy and Toner should be ahead of O'Callaghan
    Bring Luke Fitzgerald back into the squad.

Play the Leinster way, the backline for NZ should be this
    9.Reddan 10.Sexton 11.Fitzgerald 12.D'arcy 13.O'Driscoll 14.Gilroy 15.Kearney

Seriously, you must have a junior cert or something to study for or something. Your thinly veiled attacks at everything Munster or Kidney at every available opportunity is tedious and pathetic. Its like myself and [Jackass] have had some horrible Leinster supporting illegitimate child.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement