Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

haha, just had a mad though - imagine O2 were using this as a "loyalty test" and won't give 1st run iPhone4's to anybody who bailed on them.

Silly but kinda plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

haha, just had a mad though - imagine O2 were using this as a "loyalty test" and won't give 1st run iPhone4's to anybody who bailed on them.

Silly but kinda plausible.
    :eek:

That makes absolutely no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Logged my call Saturday about 5. Got a call Monday lunchtime. Request my iPhone be unlocked too and got confirmation that it was done today. Just unlocked it now. very easy. Have to say was very impressed with the customer service and speed with which it was all done. Think ill stay with o2 purely for this alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Logged my call Saturday about 5. Got a call Monday lunchtime. Request my iPhone be unlocked too and got confirmation that it was done today. Just unlocked it now. very easy. Have to say was very impressed with the customer service and speed with which it was all done. Think ill stay with o2 purely for this alone.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭naanman

does anyone know now that i am out of contract but still with 02 can i just wait out my 3 months out of contract whilst staying on the 02 network and then sign back up for the iphone 4 or do i need to port away from them for the 3 months ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

You were really only in contract to ensure 02 got the money off you for your subsidized phone. So you can switch or stay or join another network or whatever.

irish1967 wrote: »
    You were really only in contract to ensure 02 got the money off you for your subsidized phone. So you can switch or stay or join another network or whatever.

yeah but in order to be seen as a new customer and be able sign a new contract when the iphone 4 comes out would i need to leave 02 completely or can i stay as i am not under contract but still on there network ??? ,hope im making sense:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

naanman wrote: »
    yeah but in order to be seen as a new customer and be able sign a new contract when the iphone 4 comes out would i need to leave 02 completely or can i stay as i am not under contract but still on there network ??? ,hope im making sense:eek:

You must leave O2 and join another network for 3 months before you can port back to O2 and be regarded as a new customer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Bosshogg

by making this easy to do they've kept my business :D
    OCD wrote: »
    likewise, i'll be staying with O2 because their customer care is fantastic but at least i have the option of looking elsewhere.
    goddevil wrote: »
    I got a call now and they cancelled my contract as promised. Fair play to them. I will stay with them for this reason alone.
    Have to say was very impressed with the customer service and speed with which it was all done. Think ill stay with o2 purely for this alone.

Just know that they made it easy for you because you had them by the nuts and there is no way around it for them. They know the word is/was out and so to minimise the cost they just get it done rather than waste time playing games (which you'll see they have tried many times if you read the whole thread).
    Now know this too, when they have you by the nuts You're F*'d and you'll rue the day you signed back up with O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭georgiemcgrane

Bosshogg wrote: »
    Now know this too, when they have you by the nuts You're F*'d and you'll rue the day you signed back up with O2.

True that, But to be honest, its not like any of the carriers are any different, Vodafone largest and most arrogant, o2 like to present themselves as the "cool" choice, at least Meteor / 3 are trying to bring down costs and offer an option - For me, My signal said no service, hence I was happy to get away from o2, I had only moved to them from VF because of the iPhone, so im heading back to VF now but on their simply tariff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭OCD

Bosshogg wrote: »

eh??!! when you sign back up you'll know exactly what tariff you'll be on, the prices outside this tariff and the contract that affects you. i would hardly consider it rueful by signing back up to something i'm fully aware of.

it sounds to me like you've been burned by o2 and have a gripe, which is fair enough, i'm not saying anything against it but you shouldn't try to influence people based on your bad experience. if there were ten of thousands of people with the same bad experience that would be a different matter but it's not. vodafone, o2, meteor and 3 all have shareholders that need to be satisfied and they all will charge as much as they feel the market can bear.

Forget everything i said about staying loyal to 02 just seen a register your section on the 3 website for the iPhone 4 looks like they'll be getting it first so it's 3 here i come:D:D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

Dont think I would get the first batch of the iphone 4 anyway..

Wnat to make sure none of the reported problems are around over here.

Just got this reply from 3.
    Many thanks for your interest in the iPhone. *We're as excited as you are! *We look forward to welcoming you to Ireland's largest high speed network and can confirm that the iPhone 4 will be available shortly on the best value plans in the market.

We will be in contact as soon as it's available to order. *

If you would like to contact us about the iPhone in the meantime, please feel free to contact one of our dedicated agents on: 1800 949 524 *or check back online at three.ie/iphone

3 your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

O2, Voda and Three will have it on July 28th.

Three have coming soon with no other details so how can they have an advantage as others have claimed:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Forget everything i said about staying loyal to 02 just seen a register your section on the 3 website for the iPhone 4 looks like they'll be getting it first so it's 3 here i come:D:D:cool:

Any proof of that ?

Just because they put coming soon on their web site:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

O2, Voda and Three will have it on July 28th.

Three have coming soon with no other details so how can they have an advantage as others have claimed:confused::confused:

I can't see anything on either VF or O2 about the iPhone 4, so Three are ahead of the pack announcing they'll have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭stephenbrow

Before you buy your iPhone 4 on THREE http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055970262

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

So is this contract cancellation finished and if I rang tomorrow (16-07-10), could I still get out of contract? I'm emigrating for a year in sept and could really do without paying 40 a month for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

So is this contract cancellation finished and if I rang tomorrow (16-07-10), could I still get out of contract? I'm emigrating for a year in sept and could really do without paying 40 a month for nothing.
    nope ur stuck on it although ya could lie through ur teeth and say ya went into an o2 store and ya were told somone would call you back and ya still havent received a call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

Bugger

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭OCD

do you definitely have to port away from O2 for 3 months before being recognised as a new customer? i'm hearing conflicting stories. anyone have a definitive answer on this?

yeah daryll said it on the o2 forum, to avail of new customer deals, ya have to be off the network for 90 consecutive days, not sure if ya can go to prepay during that time
    best bet to ring them tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 12 politicoo

I didn't know anything about this until today. O2 never wrote to me, I don't visit their website and I get my news on the web so I never saw their advertisements in the 'national press'.

Anyway I just rang O2 and they said that I'm too late, that I'm stuck with this contract for the next 12 months (signed up to 18 month contract in January) and that there's nothing I can do about it.

Doesn't seem fair to me. Does anyone have any idea where I go from here (other than suck it up...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

politicoo wrote: »
    I didn't know anything about this until today. O2 never wrote to me, I don't visit their website and I get my news on the web so I never saw their advertisements in the 'national press'.

Anyway I just rang O2 and they said that I'm too late, that I'm stuck with this contract for the next 12 months (signed up to 18 month contract in January) and that there's nothing I can do about it.

Doesn't seem fair to me. Does anyone have any idea where I go from here (other than suck it up...)

You could scream and shout at them and threaten to buy out your contract for the minimum and never come back. Worked for me once years ago, but I doubt it will in this scenario since they've lost so many contracts to this already and they are probably in a stronger market position than they were back then

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

I was wondering what people who have opted out of contract have done. I`m still tipping away on my price plan that I signed up for originally. I`m unsure of whether to leave and get a rolling monthly contract with a data add on, or wait and see if O2 offer an amnesty to all of those who opted out?

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

I was wondering what people who have opted out of contract have done. I`m still tipping away on my price plan that I signed up for originally. I`m unsure of whether to leave and get a rolling monthly contract with a data add on, or wait and see if O2 offer an amnesty to all of those who opted out?

i got out of mine and im still on the same plan, only thing i did do was get my 3g unlocked so it can be sold when i get the 4

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ShirleyG

Well my plan was to switch to vodafone as the reception in better in work friends are on vodafone and I get a work discount.

My iphone is also kyboshed and with no insurance and the year warranty over.

I'm currently still on O2 but as soon as I can get my hands on a HTC desire I'm switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

i got out of mine and im still on the same plan, only thing i did do was get my 3g unlocked so it can be sold when i get the 4

I must get mine unlocked, I`m in no rush though as I might just change phone altogether. I was looking at the HTC`s. I like them as I hate apples crappy policy of raping people for twice the price of the base model if they want say, a 32gb or bigger, where as the HTC has removeable storage. €40 for a 32gb mini SD card seems more "fair play" to me.

Only reason I`d like to keep the iphone is that I like having my itunes work in my car and on the stereo in the house. Other than that, I`m not an iphone fan.

• Advertisement

politicoo wrote: »

not a whole lot ya can do
    if ya got of contract ur already on a rolling month one, ya just need to give 30 days notice to cancel

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement