Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

AndyC555 wrote: »
    OK I rarely exceed my limits so I see no point in canceling contract.

Thanks for the replies to my question.
    y not, choice is always a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

Have read a good few pages. Very helpful but a couple of question still, sorry if they were covered before.

Only moved from per pay to bill on June 28th. Rang and stated that I very recently moved but that I did not agree to the tariff changes and wanted out of my contract. Department dealing with it closed for the weekend but once call is logged before the 12th you are ok ( what she said to me ).

Just wondering have you or someone you know that signed up very recently got out of contract? Am I still entitled to even though it was made public knowledge? prior to my move to bill?? And does anyone know for sure that the fact that my call was logged and I got a text confirming it, is that enough or will they just say "no your too late"?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sharkbite1983

Woop I'm outta contract. I emailed them, had a missed call the next day, voicemail saying my contract is terminated. Pay as u go iPhone here I come.

:-) thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Bosshogg

OK I rarely exceed my limits so I see no point in canceling contract.

Thanks for the replies to my question.

The thing is everything stays the same but you're not bound to them. So if tomorrow you wish to move - you can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

guil wrote: »
    thats kinda of obvious tbh, thats the whole point of a bundle

Still a surprising amount of 02 customers do not understand what these price increases are about, some will only find out in their next bill when its too late for them to opt out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Turkish1 wrote: »
    Have read a good few pages. Very helpful but a couple of question still, sorry if they were covered before.

Only moved from per pay to bill on June 28th. Rang and stated that I very recently moved but that I did not agree to the tariff changes and wanted out of my contract. Department dealing with it closed for the weekend but once call is logged before the 12th you are ok ( what she said to me ).

Just wondering have you or someone you know that signed up very recently got out of contract? Am I still entitled to even though it was made public knowledge? prior to my move to bill?? And does anyone know for sure that the fact that my call was logged and I got a text confirming it, is that enough or will they just say "no your too late"?

Cheers

if i've followed this debacle correctly, i believe that because the changes were published in the public domain (albeit very discreetly) on the 12th of june, you, having signed up on 28th, would be bound to the new terms and thus would not be able to cancel like so many others have, unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Bosshogg

theteal wrote: »
    ...(albeit very discreetly)...
    Has anyone actually physically seen an ad printed in the papers or anywhere?

theteal wrote: »
    ...unfortunately
    Gotta love that closing word "unfortunately". LOL everybody's rootin' for a boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Bosshogg wrote: »
    Gotta love that closing word "unfortunately". LOL everybody's rootin' for a boot.

darn tootin', power to the little guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

That was easy. called yesterday at half 3, they just called me back (pretty much spot on the 24 hours) and everything has been sorted! cancelled and i have been given the confirmation text! Thanks OP!

Bosshogg wrote: »
    Has anyone actually physically seen an ad printed in the papers or anywhere?

thats the thing though, under the regulations, publishing it on their website is deemed enough

• Advertisement

thats the thing though, under the regulations, publishing it on their website is deemed enough

How many 02 customers actually go near the 02 website?

I would only go there to avail of online text messages and at that I wouldn't have an interest in other parts of the site. This was a sneaky move. They should have alerted all their bill paid customers by post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I would only go there to avail of online text messages and at that I wouldn't have an interest in other parts of the site. This was a sneaky move. They should have alerted all their bill paid customers by post.
    Indeed.

Still I reckon only a very small proportion of their contracts have been cancelled as a result of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

I just made the call. Almost too easy to be true. As someone else the customer service was brillaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭joebre

Reading this thread for last 10 days.
    Only made my call at lunch today.
    Told department dealing with matter were closed for weekend.
    My request was logged and told I would get callback on Monday.
    Are others getting out of contract over this weekend ?

Yes. It depends on who you speak to.

People waiting for a callback on Monday would be best advised to switch off their phones tomorrow and call o2 on Monday from a landline. Use of the service on the 12th constitutes acceptance of the changes.

Haddockman wrote: »
    Indeed.

Still I reckon only a very small proportion of their contracts have been cancelled as a result of this.

I also notice that this subject did not even make it to the media, 02 must have threatened them with advertising revenue if they did.

I also notice that this subject did not even make it to the media, 02 must have threatened them with advertising revenue if they did.
    It would certainly explain the lack of coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Tony_Yeboah

It did: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2010/0625/1224273259551.html

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Driven4aLivin

I ran O2 just now and was told a separate department was dealing with the contracts issue and that they don't work weekends. I stated that I was informed the contract notification had to be made prior to the 12th. She said that as long as you've let them know you don't accept the new T's & C's that it's fine. She said a note had been placed on my account and that the department dealing with the contract issues would be in touch. She said that they are (unsurprisingly!) very busy and so may not be in touch for a couple of days but that they will be in touch and there's no need for me to call back.

Does anyone 'in the know', know if this is legit...if I use my phone after tomorrow does that give them a get-out?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

thing is their terms and conditions probably state that posting it on thier website is enough, meaning they can always say you should be checking the site for that reason

mossym wrote: »
    thing is their terms and conditions probably state that posting it on thier website is enough, meaning they can always say you should be checking the site for that reason
    the eu regulation states that posting it on the website is enough notice

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭AndyC555

y not, choice is always a good thing

choice of what though?

Ive been with 02 for 10 years, so no plans on moving to another network as I find O2 great.
    No plans to get a new phone anytime soon as I just got a 3GS last March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

choice of what though?

Ive been with 02 for 10 years, so no plans on moving to another network as I find O2 great.
    No plans to get a new phone anytime soon as I just got a 3GS last March.

I'm with you there mate, have been with O2 since day one and the service has been flawess. Wouldn't dream of moving to vodaphone or anyone else. But, I did call them and got out of my contract for the simple reason, my life circumstances could change in the next year, I might become unemployed or be forced to emigrate. Therefore the removal of a binding contract was very appealing to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭naanman

Like everything i do i left this to the last minute oh rang 02 at 4:30 on Friday just gone was told that all the reps dealing with this were busy and that i would get a call back on Monday, thought i was being fobbed off and was ready for a row with them today, but fair play to 02 got a text early this morning saying that i was no longer under contract very surprised but very happy:) didn't think it would be that easy , I've never had a problem with 02 so I'll just wait out my 3 months now and then sign a new contract for the iPhone 4 with 02 by making this easy to do they've kept my business :D

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭OCD

naanman wrote: »
    Like everything i do i left this to the last minute oh rang 02 at 4:30 on Friday just gone was told that all the reps dealing with this were busy and that i would get a call back on Monday, thought i was being fobbed off and was ready for a row with them today, but fair play to 02 got a text early this morning saying that i was no longer under contract very surprised but very happy:) didn't think it would be that easy , I've never had a problem with 02 so I'll just wait out my 3 months now and then sign a new contract for the iPhone 4 with 02 by making this easy to do they've kept my business :D

same happened here and i just got a call to say i'm out of contract. still a mystery why they would chance losing customers over a small rate change. i'd presume because most of their customers haven't bothered to cancel.

likewise, i'll be staying with O2 because their customer care is fantastic but at least i have the option of looking elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭goddevil

I just cancelled my contract too. I left it till the last moment too and only made the call on Saturday. I was told that i'll get a call back on monday but i was skeptical. I got a call now and they cancelled my contract as promised. Fair play to them. I will stay with them for this reason alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭CJackson

Was the deadline for this midnite on sunday or tonite?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

moz wrote: »
    I'm with you there mate, have been with O2 since day one and the service has been flawess. Wouldn't dream of moving to vodaphone or anyone else. But, I did call them and got out of my contract for the simple reason, my life circumstances could change in the next year, I might become unemployed or be forced to emigrate. Therefore the removal of a binding contract was very appealing to me.

Yup me too. Had to work out of the country for 5 months and while 02 were excellent about it, dropped my contract to the minimum possible tarriff to minimise costs, I still want the option to be able to walk away from it when I choose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Shredneck

CJackson wrote: »
    Was the deadline for this midnite on sunday or tonite?

Well the notification states to contact O2 in advance of the 12th so technically use of your phone on todays date would constitute an agreement to the change in terms plus the retentions department is now closed. But if you want to chance just ring customer care and see how you get on you could be lucky.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement