Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I was wondering what people who have opted out of contract have done. I`m still tipping away on my price plan that I signed up for originally. I`m unsure of whether to leave and get a rolling monthly contract with a data add on, or wait and see if O2 offer an amnesty to all of those who opted out?

Nope. Just plodding along on my plan happily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

guil wrote: »
    if ya got of contract ur already on a rolling month one, ya just need to give 30 days notice to cancel

Incorrect, if you are out of contract you can leave at any time, no need to give any notice, i didn't.

I have left o2 for meteor, their plan is so much better, 200 mins 200 text and 1GB of data for 10 euro less than o2's 150 package.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

the contract just has ya tied to them for x amount of time, if ur still on bill pay ur on a 30 day rolling contract

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

the contract just has ya tied to them for x amount of time, if ur still on bill pay ur on a 30 day rolling contract
    No you're not, that is what they tell you to keep you for an extra 30 days. They usually do this when moving from bill pay to ready to go.

When porting you don't need to give any notice, i didn't i walked into meteor and just switched, didn't even need to tell o2, meteor done that for me.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

No you're not, that is what they tell you to keep you for an extra 30 days. They usually do this when moving from bill pay to ready to go.

When porting you don't need to give any notice, i didn't i walked into meteor and just switched, didn't even need to tell o2, meteor done that for me.

True, I ported about 5 days into my monthly billing. I got my final invoice in the door yesterday with 30 odd euro credit. When you are out of contract you can hop networks at any time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 smck14

Hi Guys,

Just wondering has anyone who got out of contract on this been speaking with o2 regards an upgrade ??

I called them to enquire about it as i want to get iphone4 and they said i cant get an upgrade even though im currently out of contract free to move provider they werent interested in getting a new 18mth contract out of me, found this strange that they were basically saying move off the network anyone else had anything similar ??

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭georgiemcgrane

smck14 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just wondering has anyone who got out of contract on this been speaking with o2 regards an upgrade ??

I called them to enquire about it as i want to get iphone4 and they said i cant get an upgrade even though im currently out of contract free to move provider they werent interested in getting a new 18mth contract out of me, found this strange that they were basically saying move off the network anyone else had anything similar ??

Leave, go as a new customer to one of the other networks. :D - Thats what I done.

Seems strange though that they are willing to loose customers when people are willing to sign into new contracts i think 3 and there 12mth contract for iphone4 will be the way to go so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

smck14 wrote: »
    Seems strange though that they are willing to loose customers when people are willing to sign into new contracts i think 3 and there 12mth contract for iphone4 will be the way to go so

Don't think you can sign new contract for 3 months after you bailed on them, this was highlighted on the thread during the get out period.

its still a 30 day contract unless u port away

• Advertisement

Don't think you can sign new contract for 3 months after you bailed on them, this was highlighted on the thread during the get out period.
    that only applies if ya went to speakeasy or another provider, i got 2 numbers released from contract mid june and upgraded one last wednesday and will be upgradin another on friday

that only applies if ya went to speakeasy or another provider, i got 2 numbers released from contract mid june and upgraded one last wednesday and will be upgradin another on friday

Can I just ask were you due an upgrade or did they allow one too keep you as a customer ?

i had a gold and silver on the account, when i was released i was hoping they would offer an incentive to stay on contract lol

I thought they would be happy for someone to want to go into a new contract seems there not interested in keeping customers on the network at all

• Registered Users Posts: 19 murf10

I rang 02 to make an inquiry into getting an upgrade,I'm looking at getting the iPhone 4,I was told I couldn't get an up grade,I also pulled out of my contract with 02,I was told i could take out a new contract,but that I could not keep my number,I was also told if I wished to move,I could.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

its still a 30 day contract unless u port away
    But no notice is needed on those. I have done it and there was no penalty charges.

Haddockman wrote: »
    But no notice is needed on those. I have done it and there was no penalty charges.
    i know there is no penalty, o2 posted it on their forum
    but would ya not still class it as a rolling contract, ya get a months use and are then billed, what would ya call it

The key point is you can walk away at any point and just pay to that point. No notice needed.

oh right i though ya needed to give 30 days

Not at all. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Even worse, they are stopping their webtext service from 3rd Aug !

No more Eirtext or Jelly SMS !!!!!!

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/About%20O2/Terms+and+conditions/Customer+Notification

I had a feeling they were going to do this. It seemed to be down alot. Will Vodaphone follow suit? if not i might switch to them

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Bob Z wrote: »
    I had a feeling they were going to do this. It seemed to be down alot. Will Vodaphone follow suit? if not i might switch to them

Desktop text is not the same as webtext. That post was incorrect.

vinnycoyne wrote: »
    Desktop text is not the same as webtext. That post was incorrect.

So whats the difference? What is desktop?

desktop text is a program to send texts from a computer, like webtext but not the same

desktop text is a program to send texts from a computer, like webtext but not the same

So will jellysms still work?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

I was wondering what people who have opted out of contract have done. I`m still tipping away on my price plan that I signed up for originally. I`m unsure of whether to leave and get a rolling monthly contract with a data add on, or wait and see if O2 offer an amnesty to all of those who opted out?

I went with the O2 Simplicity 100 plan with a data add-on. I'm not a heavy phone user so I want to see how I get on for a few months...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

murf10 wrote: »
    I could not keep my number

You own your phone number, you can move it where ever you want as long as you don't try and leave your network without paying any money owed. I'd comreg their ass if they told me that, it's bullying and anti competitive. Your not the first person to say o2 told you that in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭richfly

I have a contract with o2 i got it mainly to use i work so i didnt have to worry about credit. I manage a bar & restaurant and i need my phone to contact staff and contact the lease holder of the company and they need to contact me, but when i go inside the building i lose all signal sometimes i might get one bar if im lucky. What can o2 do about this? if they cant do anything is that grounds for me to break my contract without having to pay a penalty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Here's a basic O2 smartphone package.......

http://www.o2online.ie/shop/plans/

Click on Smartphone Plan/Pay Monthly. The basic package is €40 per month for 150 mins, 100 texts and 2Gb data. There is no mention of webtexts (though I think there are 200) and there is no mention of free O2 to O2 calls and texts.

Now, here is a basic smartphone Vodafone package........

http://www.vodafone.ie/planscosts/paymonthly/current/pcaccessplus/

It costs a little more, €45 per month (Perfect Choice 150), but there is definitely free Vod to Vod calls and texts (it's the free option) - and there are a LOT more Vod users out there - and there are 600 webtexts per month (though again, rather curiously, they don't like to tell you!)

A back of the envelope survey of my calls list shows that I make vastly more calls to 087 numbers (though I accept that some of them may be with other networks) so I would almost never exceed the 150 minutes.

Also, reception is better on Vod. I've tried my wife's sim in many locations now in my iPhone and there's no comparison.

I've checked with Vod and they'll waive the need for an 18 month contract and give me a 12 month one.

So, for an extra €60 a year, what am I missing?

D.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement