Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Okay cheers folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buzzymam

They wont let me out of contract. Called 3 times and had no callback bar a voicemail telling me to go to the o2 shop. Finally called into the shop and was refused but they out me through to CS. I was then told after holding for 35 mins that as I got my phone on the 12th June I couldnt be released. Apparently it was announced in all the national newspapers on that date and it was clearly displayed on their website? Did anyone see this in a newspaper on June 12th or anywhere other than the obscure corner of the website as pointed to in the first post here? I certainly wasnt aware until I read this thread the day after I got my phone but I'm not sure what my options are now.

That so friggin annoying. I only found out about it from this thread and luckily was able to cancel my contract. O2 had the barefaced cheek to send out a "happy birthday" text to me last month but buried the new call tariffs in the depths of their terms & conditions. As a customer I know which event i'd prefer to be texted on!

An earlier poster (last few days) mentioned a similar scenario to you...the O2 shop didn't advise on the new tariffs when he/she signed u as they hadnt been sent the new rates them from O2 hq or something like that..might be worth emailing them to see how it panned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭madmaxvideo

They wont let me out of contract. Called 3 times and had no callback bar a voicemail telling me to go to the o2 shop. Finally called into the shop and was refused but they out me through to CS. I was then told after holding for 35 mins that as I got my phone on the 12th June I couldnt be released. Apparently it was announced in all the national newspapers on that date and it was clearly displayed on their website? Did anyone see this in a newspaper on June 12th or anywhere other than the obscure corner of the website as pointed to in the first post here? I certainly wasnt aware until I read this thread the day after I got my phone but I'm not sure what my options are now.

I bought the iPhone on 24th June, after many phone calls and posts on the o2 forum I eventually got released from contract. After all the hassle I contacted the shop and explained the situation the guy in the shop got me released, I argued the point that on the website it still shows the old/ existing call rates and that is false/ misleading.Don't forget the new tariffs don't come Into effect infill 12 July, anyone who signed up before this signed to the old tarrif. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Did they take back the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭madmaxvideo

No, you are released Without penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

No, you are released Without penalty.

I think you got away with that one to be honest! The new call rates are public knowledge and only the fact they didn't inform you means you got your free phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Gambler wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying that when I upgrade to the iPhone 4 then I'll be right back into a contract again anyway?

I would expect 02 to offer some kind of an amnesty with Iphone 4 for those that are not eligble for an upgrade and that have cancelled their contract. If they don't Vodafone will rob most of their ifone customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

I think this is a pretty smart move on O2's part. Think of all those O2 customers now ripe and ready for when the iPhone 4 comes out.
    Customers may not be eligible for an upgrade but how will they resist all that shiny new technology and now they are free of their contract there is almost nothing holding them back.*

Only got on to this today, but it's not too late can still be done.

*except that price tag, but who's gonna pay any attention to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Thank you original poster. Very happy to say that both contracts in my house have now been cancelled with little fuss.

Happy days...

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭DermoMIO

rang them again this morning as I didn't trust the guy yesterday saying I'm on the list to be removed from contract and still wasn't put through to the people who remove you from contract but the woman said that I was already on the list so should get a call by 6 today I said to her to just text me when they remove me from contract as I don't need a call back she said that the amount of people wanting out is creating a backlog and that it will stretch into next week here's hoping she isn't bull****ting me

on a positive note tough my iphone has been unlocked less then 24hours after asking so kudos to them for that

• Advertisement

Next week is too late. Midnight Sunday is the deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭DermoMIO

just got the text there to say im out of contract, thanks to op and everyone else who helped out now to move to prepay and wait for iphone 4 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

Anyone got a good rundown on what I should be quoting when I ring them up? Gonna make the call shortly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Charlie wrote: »
    Anyone got a good rundown on what I should be quoting when I ring them up? Gonna make the call shortly.

1st post in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yeah I got told the same thing, I signed up on sunday the 13'th of june. Was worth chanching it tho, I had no intention of leaving o2 even if I got out of contract....

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭eskimoparty

Im sure its been covered but only skimmed thru the 70pages here. If i leave the contract does everything else remain the same. ie, free add ons eligability for upgrade etc??

Thanks in advance and sorry if its been covered!! Just got on this now!

Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭eskimoparty

Just called there and will get a call back on Monday. Once the request is logged before then and in the system then the deadline wont come into affect in case there is anyone wondering. Great spot OP no interest in leaving but will leave me in a great position when the IP4 is realeased!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

Just called there and will get a call back on Monday. Once the request is logged before then and in the system then the deadline wont come into affect in case there is anyone wondering. Great spot OP no interest in leaving but will leave me in a great position when the IP4 is realeased!
    i wouldnt believe them, whats to stop they saying somethin different come monday
    i'd ring them back and tell them ya want out of the contract now and ya dont want any call back

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

Rang them earlier.

Have to say it was really easy to do. Out of contract and unlocking request made in under 2 mins.

Excellent customer service, will probably stay with o2 for that alone.

• Advertisement

Monday will come and they will say sorry your too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭disco girl

I got the text too, releasing me from contract. But I never thought to ask about unlocking code for iphone. Will I have a problem getting it now??

disco girl wrote: »
    I got the text too, releasing me from contract. But I never thought to ask about unlocking code for iphone. Will I have a problem getting it now??
    No they are obliged to give it even after the deadline

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭AndyC555

OK Ive read through 40 odd pages of this thread and cant find an answer.

What exactly are the price inceases apart from calling 11811, which I cant say I ever have.

calls are goin up from 20c per min to 27c
    have a look at the link in the first post and it will state the changes

guil wrote: »
    calls are goin up from 20c per min to 27c
    have a look at the link in the first post and it will state the changes
    Out of bundle calls and texts, bundles still stay the same.

TBH won't make any difference to me as I reaely exceed the limits but bailed out of contract on principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Cloud wrote: »
    I was told the same thing today - I have unlimited O2 to O2 and landline calls - can people with this package also opt out?

John.
    --

Rang them back. Apparently this is an 'old' plan and will not be changing. I've asked for e-mail confirmation of this...not that I don't trust them!!

Still in contract if that's the case, but we won't have to pay the increased charges..which I always seem to run up.

11811 call costs are increasing for all customers, that is the universal get out clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭AndyC555

OK I rarely exceed my limits so I see no point in canceling contract.

Thanks for the replies to my question.

• Advertisement

Out of bundle calls and texts, bundles still stay the same.

TBH won't make any difference to me as I reaely exceed the limits but bailed out of contract on principal.
    thats kinda of obvious tbh, thats the whole point of a bundle

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement