Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭madmaxvideo

After much persistance I have been removed from contract. They sent me a confimation email but I had to ask for it. For those of you that have not received an email or text I would highly reccomend contacting o2 customer care and ask for one. At least you have somthing to fall back on if it's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Neither I nor my father had any trouble getting released from contract. I got asked to wait a day for a callback, which came as scheduled, he got put through to the appropriate section by customer care after a brief hold.

"Thank you for contacting o2 you have been removed from your contract as per request. Your services continue as normal. Thank you from o2."

It was quicker and better service than I was anticipating. Will stick with them for the moment, still on the same plan and happy with it, but glad to be out of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Just got notified by 02 about my release in a text message: "Thank you for contacting 02 you have been removed from your contract as per request. Your services continue as normal Thank you from 02."

I will more than likely stick with them until such time as my phone either gets lost or stolen. :p

Yeah, I just got the same message after I rang them again. Will also probably stick with them for the time being though.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

ok a lot of us are out of contract now so has anyone got their phone unlocked if so how?

I got my phone unlocked about 2 days after I bought it, if you have a look on the o2 forum they have a section dedicated to unlock requests. I will post a link as soon as I get a minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Just rang up there again. Had a query about my bill payment and asked them would they be able to send confirmation on me being released from my contract.
    Got this email a second ago

" Hi Brian
    As per our call on the 7/7/10 just to advise you that you were removed from contract on the 21/06/10

Regards"

Better safe than sorry I say.

Just a follow up on my previous post. HERE is the link to the o2 forum which gives details on how to get your iPhone unlocked.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

They sent me a text message confirming my release, that would be good enough. I now have it saved on my PC.

I rang this morning to cancel the contract but the girl said that they were busy dealing with other cancellations. Said she'd get someone to call me back within 24 hours. Had my phone on silent in work so missed the call back, but I received a text saying I was out of contract. Not sure if I should ring back to get confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I rang this morning to cancel the contract but the girl said that they were busy dealing with other cancellations. Said she'd get someone to call me back within 24 hours. Had my phone on silent in work so missed the call back, but I received a text saying I was out of contract. Not sure if I should ring back to get confirmation.
    if you have the text, you"ll be fine. Just save it if needed by doing a screen grab. Hold down the sleep/ wake button and press the home key to do this

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

matchthis wrote: »
    if you have the text, you"ll be fine. Just save it if needed by doing a screen grab. Hold down the sleep/ wake button and press the home key to do this
    Cheers. I know how to do the screen grab but never thought about doing it to save the message. Good idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Apologies if this has been asked and answered.

I'm on the advanced plan with unlimited O2 to O2 calls and texts. I rang up this morning and they tell me that my plan isn't actually changing as I have unlimited calls and texts.

I was a bit unsure of my ground and it sounded reasonable, but would be interested to hear if others on this plan were told the same thing/managed to get out of it.

If you got out of it, what grounds did you use?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

They are also changing their prices to directory enquireies so that will effect you and therefore your contract with them can be canceled. Even if you've never called directory enquiries from your phone you may do so a point in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 7 scaldyballs

I signed up to an 18mth Contract in Oct 2009 for a new Palm Pre and have had nothing but trouble with it since. O2 won't let me upgrade to an iPhone until at least Oct 2010 coz they said I need to be on the contract for at least a year before an upgrade can be considered. I wanna get out of this contract.. I signed up to a €40 p.m contract with unlimited O2 to O2 calls and texts yet my cheapest bill has been €75. Where can I see a notice of the proposed changes in O2 charges so that I can use same if I contact O2 to see if I can get out of contract...Cheers....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

I signed up to an 18mth Contract in Oct 2009 for a new Palm Pre and have had nothing but trouble with it since. O2 won't let me upgrade to an iPhone until at least Oct 2010 coz they said I need to be on the contract for at least a year before an upgrade can be considered. I wanna get out of this contract.. I signed up to a €40 p.m contract with unlimited O2 to O2 calls and texts yet my cheapest bill has been €75. Where can I see a notice of the proposed changes in O2 charges so that I can use same if I contact O2 to see if I can get out of contract...Cheers....:confused:

Just call them, say you dont agree with the new charges and you'll be released.

Link to changes is in the very first post in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

BaZmO* wrote: »

I'm still waiting for my callback. Was told it would be yesterday but still havnt heard a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 scaldyballs

Just got off the phone with O2 and they've removed me from contract coz I objected to the 11811 charges...confirmed by email too....:):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

Just got on to them there. Cancelled it no bother. No one trying to twist my arm or anything like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Winters wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for my callback. Was told it would be yesterday but still havnt heard a thing.
    Ring them back - it's getting too close to July 11th to hang around waiting for call backs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Would I be right in saying that when I upgrade to the iPhone 4 then I'll be right back into a contract again anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Fionagus wrote: »
    Ring them back - it's getting too close to July 11th to hang around waiting for call backs

If you don't get satisfaction by tomarrow hand cuff your self to a customer service desk at your nearest 02 outlet. Tell them you will release yourself only when they release your contract. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Just off the phone from O2 now and got out of my contract in less than 5 mins. I asked for confirmation by text and received the following text:
    Thank you for contacting O2. You have now been removed from your contract as per your request. Your services continue as normal. Thank you from O2.

Thanks OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Gambler wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying that when I upgrade to the iPhone 4 then I'll be right back into a contract again anyway?
    True, but being out of contract gives you a few more options when/if you decide to upgrade to iPhone 4

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Fionagus wrote: »

Rang them on lunch. Said my call request was logged but the dept. are very busy so its taking time. Either way I got through and asked for an email to confirm.

"Following your recent call I can confirm that the contract for mobile phone number ___ has now been removed, as requested. Your services continue as normal. "

Great success.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Just off the phone, slight resistance but just mentioned Reg.17 and that was that.

Still not entirely sure if I'm gonna move to another network but it's nice to have the option anyhow.

Cheers OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭DermoMIO

^similar happened to me just there I rang up first to get my iphone unlock request in before cancelling my contract as I'm planning on moving to prepay so dont want to be hit with the 150 charge if asking for it at a later date which was done fine and then the girl on the line asked if i had cancelled my contract (wtf it's like they want people out of their contracts) told her i was about to and that i was moving to prepay and she said she needed my imei number (i dunno why) so i had to call them back and then got through to some chap who said

'the team were busy but my call had been logged and i will get a call back tomorrow or monday' but i said to him monday is too late as the new terms come into effect from then but he said 'once my request has been logged on their system that I wont be put on the charges once they come in'

I'll still give them call back tomorrow and try get trough to that department again as I'm not taking that risk

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

They wont let me out of contract. Called 3 times and had no callback bar a voicemail telling me to go to the o2 shop. Finally called into the shop and was refused but they out me through to CS. I was then told after holding for 35 mins that as I got my phone on the 12th June I couldnt be released. Apparently it was announced in all the national newspapers on that date and it was clearly displayed on their website? Did anyone see this in a newspaper on June 12th or anywhere other than the obscure corner of the website as pointed to in the first post here? I certainly wasnt aware until I read this thread the day after I got my phone but I'm not sure what my options are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

moz wrote: »
    Just off the phone from O2 now and got out of my contract in less than 5 mins. I asked for confirmation by text and received the following text:
    Thank you for contacting O2. You have now been removed from your contract as per your request. Your services continue as normal. Thank you from O2.

Thanks OP.

Exact same for me. Thanks OP.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Benimar wrote: »
    I'm on the advanced plan with unlimited O2 to O2 calls and texts. I rang up this morning and they tell me that my plan isn't actually changing as I have unlimited calls and texts.

I was a bit unsure of my ground and it sounded reasonable, but would be interested to hear if others on this plan were told the same thing/managed to get out of it.

I was told the same thing today - I have unlimited O2 to O2 and landline calls - can people with this package also opt out?

John.
    --

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yep. The cost of 11811 has increased. You can get out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

Cloud wrote: »
    I was told the same thing today - I have unlimited O2 to O2 and landline calls - can people with this package also opt out?

John.
    --
    yes they can, my gf is on the same plan under my bill and i got both of them removed from contract last week

directory enquiries are never covered under your available minutes so keep at them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement