Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buzzymam

Fionagus wrote: »
    Just say that you wish to be released from your contract under the terms of regulation 17 but that you wish to remain on the network and on the same tariff for the moment. Point out that you are entitled to be released without penalty. If they tell you that you will have to wait for a call back before bring released say that you have no interest in discussing it with their contract retention team, that your mind is made up. Ask for confirmation in writing as well.

I called on Sat morning and got the 24-48 hour call back fob off. I got an e mail conforming my request and i replied saying i didnt want to wait for the call back as there was no need to discuss it further..the mail was not replied to! Is that an actual dept "contract retention team" as I intend calling 1st thing in the morning (after the 48hrs) and insist i be released with no discussions with that dept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

buzzymam wrote: »
    I called on Sat morning and got the 24-48 hour call back fob off. I got an e mail conforming my request and i replied saying i didnt want to wait for the call back as there was no need to discuss it further..the mail was not replied to! Is that an actual dept "contract retention team" as I intend calling 1st thing in the morning (after the 48hrs) and insist i be released with no discussions with that dept.

That's what they call themselves. They'll try and tell you that the changes don't affect you because you don't call 11811 etc but just stick to your guns. Get everything in writing. I'd ring back first thing in the morning and get it sorted rather than waiting for a call back. Good luck!

Fionagus wrote: »
    That's what they call themselves. They'll try and tell you that the changes don't affect you because you don't call 11811 etc but just stick to your guns. Get everything in writing. I'd ring back first thing in the morning and get it sorted rather than waiting for a call back. Good luck!

Thanks Fionagus.

Thanks again OP, out of contract with email confirmation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

buzzymam wrote: »
    Thanks again OP, out of contract with email confirmation!
    Excellent news!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭dan_eire

i only transferred from vodafone to o2 last week, so i could get an iphone. i'm on the "Advance 350 & 2GB Data" plan (€60 per month). is it possible for me to get out of contract? and if so, what will i have to pay to get out of contract??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You should be able to get out of contract within the first 10 days free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Ok this might be a stupid question and already covered but 51 pages is alot to look through to see if it is or not!!

What are the advantages of cancelling your contract. I have a friend who has been on 02 contract with an iPhone for a year now. He is intending on getting the new iPhone4. Will he be better off cancelling his contract or staying put??

Haddockman wrote: »
    You should be able to get out of contract within the first 10 days free.
    But presumably have to hand back the phone in this case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Shredneck

Only 1 week to go now. So make sure you don't miss the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭declan_8

a dedicated team now setup to handle these requests, there must be a huge amount of requests to deal with. Supposed to be getting a call back tomorrow to confirm! I'm sticking to my guns though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

declan_8 wrote: »
    a dedicated team now setup to handle these requests, there must be a huge amount of requests to deal with. Supposed to be getting a call back tomorrow to confirm! I'm sticking to my guns though!!
    I got on to them this morning to terminate my 18 months contract. (7 months through it)

They were supposed to get back to me today but didn't, called them at 4pm, same story, told me they would contact me tomarrow.

Can I cancel my contract at an 02 store?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭guil

I got on to them this morning to terminate my 18 months contract. (7 months through it)

They were supposed to get back to me today but didn't, called them at 4pm, same story, told me they would contact me tomarrow.

Can I cancel my contract at an 02 store?
    afaik yeah ya can

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I cancelled mine at 02 store on Thursday. And they sent me an email to confirm.

It was done so quickly I have this niggling feeling it wasn't done it took like 10 seconds for each contract I cancelled. That's why I asked for the email to confirm.

The guy in the store was about to start fibbing me off but once they know that you know the craic he just smiled. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

This isn't specifically about an iPhone, but is contract related. I bought a HTC Desire on contract with o2 at the end of May (28th or 29th). Can I legally cancel this contract on the basis of the latest price changes? Who then owns the HTC?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

Trojan wrote: »
    This isn't specifically about an iPhone, but is contract related. I bought a HTC Desire on contract with o2 at the end of May (28th or 29th). Can I legally cancel this contract on the basis of the latest price changes? Who then owns the HTC?

You can and you own it. :D

I got my iPhone in May and am out of contract with an unlocked phone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Yes, you own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I was in the exact same boat as you. I bought a HTC Desire on the 24th of May and signed up to the €40p/m tariff. I rang up on the 19th of June there and was put on hold for no more than ten minutes and got them to cancel my contract. They removed the commitment there and then.
    I keep the phone and am still on bill pay.
    If I really wanted to. I could have asked them to cancel my contract there and I could have left O2 with a phone worth over €400 having only paid €200 (€160 for the phone and €40 for a months service).

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jackmeehan

I know this has been asked before but I am unsure of the answers.

Does this mean I can go down to o2 today, buy a heavily subsidised iPhone with contract, ring back in a few days and cancel and be left with my heavily subsidised iPhone?

• Advertisement

jackmeehan wrote: »
    I know this has been asked before but I am unsure of the answers.

Does this mean I can go down to o2 today, buy a heavily subsidised iPhone with contract, ring back in a few days and cancel and be left with my heavily subsidised iPhone?

No because 02 will make you aware of the forthcoming price increases when you sign the contract

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jackmeehan

No because 02 will make you aware of the forthcoming price increases when you sign the contract
    That's what I thought, just thought I'd chance it :)

Are networks within their rights to charge a consumer a fee to unlock their phone? o2 Ireland told me that my iPhone is locked to o2 UK, so I rang o2 UK to try get it unlocked but they told me I had to pay something like £20.

Am I protected against this fee under The 2007 Consumer Protection Act?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Haddockman wrote: »

This is a fob off. The front line goons can release you.

Just talked to the front line CS there and he insisted that he couldn't do it and that it required a call back from a different department. I've already been waiting a week for that callback so I'm not impressed at all.

I was intending on switching down to a lower package with O2, but his attitude and the amount of time it's taking them to get back to me is making me think it might be a good idea to switch to Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Does anyone have the direct email address of customer care at o2? Thanks.

Contact forms are no good.

Just got notified by 02 about my release in a text message: "Thank you for contacting 02 you have been removed from your contract as per request. Your services continue as normal Thank you from 02."

I will more than likely stick with them until such time as my phone either gets lost or stolen. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 michaelsu

chrislad wrote: »
    How is signing up for a contract with the intention of cancelling it before the agreed term is up in order to get a cheap phone not fraud?

And no, I don't work for O2. I had a contract with them and I did cancel it so I have taken advantage of something that didn't really affect me in all honesty but the amount of people trying to scam iPhones out of this is disappointing.

ahh... okay...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭John deere 6920

so let me get this straight if i walked into o2 store and asked for an iphone on bill pay and payed 200€ for fone and then the 40euro a month thing then remove contract i own the fone? thats abit tick. good idea

so let me get this straight if i walked into o2 store and asked for an iphone on bill pay and payed 200€ for fone and then the 40euro a month thing then remove contract i own the fone? thats abit tick. good idea

NO.

Again. Because 02 will make you aware of the forthcoming price increases when you sign the contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭John deere 6920

NO.

Again. Because 02 will make you aware of the forthcoming price increases when you sign the contract
    so they wud take phone back off me then. ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Finally got around to calling and just off with customer care and am told to expect a callback tomorrow. Shall probably go into a store on Thursday if I get nothing back by then.

They seem to be used to people calling now for it. I still dont get why o2 are doing this...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement