Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Aquals

Marthastew wrote: »
    I was one of the runners who took one of your wine gums on Fosters Avenue! I didn't have the time or the wherewithal to bless myself first. Thank you SO MUCH. It was my 4th marathon ( Dublin 2008, Chicago 2009 and Boston 2010) and I was blown away by the support the people of Dublin showed us. My most enjoyable marathon, thanks in no small way to the likes of you who helped us on our way!

Glad to have been of some small help! :) I really enjoyed cheering everyone on. We actually ended up staying there shouting support for four hours!! Then we got tired and sat down, much to the disgust of the people still running past us saying things like "if you're tired you should try being in in our position!" Haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    If you subtract the same discrepancy from each point (10k, Halfway, 30k) that your time is different from at the finish it will give your real time.

Gun Chip

e.g 10k 1:00:00
    Half 2:00:00
    30k 3:00:00
    Finish 4:00:00 3:58:30

Discrepancy here is 1min 30secs. If you subtract that from the guntime at each of the other points you get your real time. (Or you could always just check the tds site :))

In this case:

Gun Chip

10k 1:00:00 58:30
    Half 2:00:00 1:58:30
    30k 3:00:00 2:58:30
    Finish 4:00:00 3:58:30

Nice work, but the TDS site does all this for us :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

3 stars (average)
    I know.
    I'm just bored :D

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

4 stars (good)
    Great day, great race.

I managed to come in at 3:15, pb of over 13 mins with a negative split of over 1 minute so extremely happy with time.

The one thing I found of huge benefit in the lead up to the race, in addition to generally sticking to the P & D 55m programme, was the Athlone 3/4 marathon.

I think the organisers got it spot on in terms of timing, course and the physical & mental benefit it provided in the lead up the the DCM.

P.S. Figs - whatever you were doing in the last month or two in training - let me know & I'll copy it! Fantastic performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

4 stars (good)
    chinguetti wrote: »
    Bernard Dunne started besides us Meno and i think you said that he had a weak chin but whispered it very softly:D.

I think I was on the floor even more times than he's been...;)

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    dowlinj wrote: »
    I'm certainly no expert but I think it's fair to say that it's hard to apply McMillan marathon predictions to first time marathoner's times. A better form of prediction which I used, is to multiply your recent half time by 2 and add 10%. Maybe when you've run a few more marathons McMillan can be applied but for a first one I thought it was way off what I could've achieved. That's my two cents anyway!

That would have had me aiming for 4:03 rather than 3:42 which would have been far smarter.....

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

4 stars (good)
    Yes it felt to get out & support everyone (not just the friends and oh's. The most I have done is 10km so I have a hell of a lot of respect for anyone that can tackle a marathon.

I was waving my home-made signs "Run Boards.ie's Run" - though I didn't see any of the BAC singlets....
    and "You Can Do This" which seemed to go down well :)

Some of the causes people were running for brought a lump to my throat I must say...so I hope those running for charity raised lots for their chosen cause.

Think I saw you somewhere after the halfway mark? Nice one..

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

4 stars (good)
    Thats a fair stash of uncollected medals and fine DCM 2010 long sleeved tops so :eek:

Afraid not pal, it is the same story with every marathon. The chaps know this when ordering the goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

4 stars (good)
    robinph wrote: »
    I didn't actually find myself paying much attention to the multiple different pace bands on the way round, I guess just the knowing where the pacers were behind me took that concern away. I do remember trying to look at it once though, but couldn't actualy make out any of the numbers so gave up.

5114485642_05183a0a85.jpg

Did anyone make use of pace bands on the way round, or are they just an unneeded distraction with pacers around to look after us?

Yeah I found it quite difficult to read as well. Found myself having to use my finger under the numbers to make them out. Got even worse as the race went on. Like yourself I gave up in the end.
    Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

4 stars (good)
    robinph wrote: »
    I didn't actually find myself paying much attention to the multiple different pace bands on the way round, I guess just the knowing where the pacers were behind me took that concern away. I do remember trying to look at it once though, but couldn't actualy make out any of the numbers so gave up.

5114485642_05183a0a85.jpg

Did anyone make use of pace bands on the way round, or are they just an unneeded distraction with pacers around to look after us?

Used mine to good effect for first 30K but after that the sweat seeped in and I couldn't read it too well. Having forgotten my polar watch etc. it proved very useful and I had bang on even pace up to that point according to the TDS results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭galwayspur

4 stars (good)
    Finished in 3:44:36 and am delighted with that time. It was my first marathon and I'm so glad I entered. The organisation, the support all the way, everything was top notch.

Had a bit of a gel-belt malfuntion when warming up, a gel exploded and leaked all over my shorts and my left calf...left me with a sticky leg and a nasty stain. :D

I stuck with the 3:45 pacers all the way, and the guy that was carrying the 3:45 sign got me over the line, he was great. Of course, once I crossed the finish line I slowed up and then had to stop the sensation of my hamstrings being used as a double base. I couldn't find the guy to thank him, so if he reads this, THANKS!!

I'll be back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Cindyss

3 stars (average)
    Hi All, Short RR here.
    Starting backwards came in at 3.48, very happy with that 1st timer.
    40 yrs old and a year back from ACL surgery. Did HH Inter 1 training schedule, actually trained with regards to a minus 4hr marathon but on the back of good times in Cork to Cobh and Dingle 1/2 went for 3.45.
    Now the bad stuff, Started out very handy, with the 3.45 pacers, chatting with Oisinn in the park, on the downhill section went slightly past the pacers but said I would relax and run with my hands down by my side and conserve energy. Oh forgot and I think this is the major reason why I ran TOO FAST, I clashed arms with a lad at 3 miles or so and my watch reset so I was all over the place in pacing terms.
    After the park the purple balloons were 100 metres behind me, No worries they will catch up in a couple of miles just run handy and all will be ok, 1/2 marathon split 1.50, BAD. But still a bit confused because my watch was reset, started it a zero, after mile 18 had run too fast 30k 2.35 or so, said to myself shuffle on and see where you go, last 7 miles tough, run walk blah blah you know the rest.
    Still loved every bit of it, the people of Dublin should be proud of themselves. An exile for 20 years but loved every bit of it.
    Rest for the next week and then an assault on the Wtaerford half, followed by the 4 10 milers down south and Limerick full.
    Roll on, Thanks to the pacers, Volunteers and the public of Dublin and last but not least my family.
    Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

4 stars (good)
    galwayspur wrote: »
    Finished in 3:44:36 and am delighted with that time. It was my first marathon and I'm so glad I entered. The organisation, the support all the way, everything was top notch.

Had a bit of a gel-belt malfuntion when warming up, a gel exploded and leaked all over my shorts and my left calf...left me with a sticky leg and a nasty stain. :D

I stuck with the 3:45 pacers all the way, and the guy that was carrying the 3:45 sign got me over the line, he was great. Of course, once I crossed the finish line I slowed up and then had to stop the sensation of my hamstrings being used as a double base. I couldn't find the guy to thank him, so if he reads this, THANKS!!

I'll be back next year.

I had it for the last 8 miles. If its me your talking about you are welcome:D

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

4 stars (good)
    RAL3 wrote: »
    Great day, great race.
    P.S. Figs - whatever you were doing in the last month or two in training - let me know & I'll copy it! Fantastic performance.

Thanks RAL3! I supprised even myself with my time! The go-faster shoes obviously worked...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

4 stars (good)
    PAULWATSON wrote: »
    Afraid not pal, it is the same story with every marathon. The chaps know this when ordering the goods.
    I'd say it's a bit like airlines. They have a fair idea of what the no-show rate will be, and it's a nice bit of profit from those people.

4 stars (good)
    galwayspur wrote: »

There's a new excuse for the locker....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Ardsbeg

3 stars (average)
    At mile 12 got my right leg started to feel sore while my left leg seemed fine..mile 15 left leg was fine but my right quad was heavy nd was startin to get shootin pains along the outside of my knee(ITB i presume..never had any problems wit this before) mile 18/19 shootin pains were sickening nd had to concentrate on running on left leg for rest of the marathon.

basically i couldnt understand why my right leg was so sore nd left leg was fine..i quickly came to the conclusion that it was due to me starting on the right hand side of the road nd stayin there wit the plan that if i was bein held up/too congested nd losin the 3:30 pacers i cud hop on the path nd move up a few places..as a result of this plan for most of the first half were it was congested i was basically running in the gutter part of the road nd this is quite uneven/slanted for drainage purposes.

wud this be the reason for my right leg hurtin so much compared to left leg..jus cant believe that this novice mistake may have cost me a sub 3:30 for my first marathon..tut tut :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

3 stars (average)
    Spotted this in the SBP when I was reading it this evening, hopefully some other sponsors show up.
    The title sponsors of the Dublin Marathon – Lifestyle Sports and Adidas – are ending their association with the event, writes Martha Kearns.

Tomorrow’s race will be the last time the two sports companies will sponsor the event, which has been running for 31 years and has increased its number of entrants to 13,000 this year.

Adidas has been a sponsor of the marathon for ten years, and Lifestyle Sports for three years.

Both have decided not to renew their contracts, leaving the marathon’s organisers looking for new sponsors for next year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

3 stars (average)
    Certainly possible that the camber of the road would effect you. There is still a camber on footpaths but it's less noticeable and once your changing which side of the road you run on at least sometimes along your routes you'll be OK. On the road proper though it is quite significant so your better off just to one side or the other of the centre line, don't run exactly on the centre line as your more likely to slip there if it's wet, and the paint is actually a harder surface on your feet than the tarmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

4 stars (good)
    opus wrote: »
    Spotted this in the SBP when I was reading it this evening, hopefully some other sponsors show up.
    Thought I heard Asics were to take over next year, not sure if its confirmed though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

sideswipe wrote: »
    Thought I heard Asics were to take over next year, not sure if its confirmed though.

Not confirmed AFAIK, it's one of the companies that they're looking at getting on board though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

RAL3 wrote: »
    Great day, great race.

I managed to come in at 3:15, pb of over 13 mins with a negative split of over 1 minute so extremely happy with time.

The one thing I found of huge benefit in the lead up to the race, in addition to generally sticking to the P & D 55m programme, was the Athlone 3/4 marathon.

I think the organisers got it spot on in terms of timing, course and the physical & mental benefit it provided in the lead up the the DCM.

My fancy watch says both Athlone and Dublin had similar amounts of climb with Athlone being slightly tougher so yes deffo a good training race and good prep for Dublin.
    (Athlone had 174m of climb with Dublin showing 151m of climb according to my garmin)
    Dublin is great, loads of good happy positive vibes and great support. I'm biased obviously being from Dublin but your can't beat running in your home town.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

4 stars (good)
    Re. the pacing bands, if anybody is doing one of the US marathons they often give out good quality pacing straps that use velcro and are comfortable on the wrist. I've used mine again and again as the piece of paper with the pacing can be changed to suit the time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

3 stars (average)
    Just spotted that they have changed my finishing position. :(

The results on dublinmarathon.ie have knocked me down two positions from what was printed in the paper on Tuesday, and the tds-live.com results have me another place back from that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

sideswipe wrote: »

Now, there's a goody bag I'll look forward to at the end of the race. They wont have Small/Medium/Large sections, there'll be shoe sizes :-)

Was delighted with my time, 3:44:25. a new PB and also exactly 20 mins off last years time. Stuck with the 3:45 pacers too till about mile 21 and worked off my pace band when they started to pull ahead. I got in under the time, because I started a bit behind them at the start line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

3 stars (average)
    I ran it in 5hr 17min chip 5hr 11.

Not as fast as last years 4hr 31. Am i the slowest person on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

4 stars (good)
    pauldry wrote: »
    I ran it in 5hr 17min chip 5hr 11.

Not as fast as last years 4hr 31. Am i the slowest person on this thread

No. Don't ask. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

I ran my first marathon in Dingle this Sept doing it in 5.04 ( and being as sick as a dog for last 5 miles.) Ran Dublin in 4.02 chip time and it was beyond my wildest dreams, crowd was wonderful and orgainsation great.
    I know i shouldnt have run so soon again, but it was an impulse that turned out well. Am 53.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

4 stars (good)
    anymore wrote: »
    I ran my first marathon in Dingle this Sept doing it in 5.04 ( and being as sick as a dog for last 5 miles.) Ran Dublin in 4.02 chip time and it was beyond my wildest dreams, crowd was wonderful and orgainsation great.
    I know i shouldnt have run so soon again, but it was an impulse that turned out well. Am 53.

well done. . surely must be a big incentive to come back next year to break the big '4' ?
    actually your time struck a chord with me as i had practically the same times for my last two marathons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

well done. . surely must be a big incentive to come back next year to break the big '4' ?

Thank you and yes it certainly is. Must say it was great to go on such a tour of Dublin. It was a wonderful experince all round and has opened a new world for me.

Advertisement