Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bliain Faoi Thrí

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

catweazle wrote: »
    Are you copying and pasting your run details :confused::confused:

2 rare night-time runs this weekend

Well spotted, old boy! How are you doing? Only 79.75 miles to go for the big 1000! I think I'll have to be content with breaking 1000 kilometres :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I have a lot less than that to go ;)

I am not as diligent in updating the 1000 mile challenge as I am with the Triathlon challenge.

Training is going grand, I didnt rest long I had nothing to do during lunch hours so boredom brought me back to the gym. Started on a weights program during the week, dont really enjoy weights but I will give them a try as practically everyone who humiliates me on the bike reckons weights will do wonders for my cycling. Did a decent session on Wednesday which more or less put me out for the rest of the week with stiffness. Going to give it another go today though.

I am going to see if I can keep the HR below 150 until next year, a kind of half assed build period I suppose.

Wednesday

Tempo run. Wasn't feeling great, and felt the run bizarrely uncomfortable. What felt like stitches and cramps in my stomach. WTF?!

Anyway, when I had finished, the abdominal strain I felt after the Loughrea triathlon was definitely back so I made an appointment with Bjohnson and headed in this morning to have a look at that and the hip ache I've been having for a while. The abdominal strain seems to be a small abdominal muscle tear, and the hip is just muscle tightness. He says it's nothing that can't be sorted out with a bit of treatment between now and DCM, so I'll continue with the taper as normal.

For the last two weeks, I'm moving from the 3:10 training schedule to 3:15. Feeling positive, and feeling like the big day will be an adventure of trying to hang onto the pace group! Looking forward to the marathon, and looking forward to the finish line!

Route: Work to Bóthar Nua and back
    Distance: 6.02 miles (2 miles easy, 3 miles temp, 1 mile easy)
    Time: 43:44
    Target Pace / Achieved Pace: 6:45 / ? (Overall average was 7:16, but don't know what the tempo averages were as using my brother in law's Forerunner and forgot to set 1 mile laps!)
    Perceived Exertion (out of 10): 8.5
    Personal Satisfaction: 5 (a struggle from start to finish)
    Weather: Cowwlld!!!

Saturday

I skipped Friday's interval run, as the work done on the abdominal tear left it really tender on Thursday and Friday. I went back to Bjohnson for some more work on Saturday morning, and it's still feeling tender but less sore.

Felt better on Saturday evening, so I headed out for the final LSR, a 10 miler at race pace. It was a bit chilly so I wore a long-sleeve top for the first time in ages (and inevitably pulled up the sleeves after two miles :rolleyes:). The ab tear started to feel sensitive at about four miles, but didn't get any worse. I noticed at the five mile turnaround that I was behind my Garmin's virtual running partner, even though every time I glanced at my pace, I was running at about 7:25 or under :confused:.

I finished the run well over race pace, running 7:29 average pace as opposed to 7:25. No idea how I let it slip so much, I'm just glad to hand over pacing duties on the day of the marathon to people who actually know what they're doing!

As preparation, I wore a gel belt for the first time. It felt fine, so I'll do that on the day. I also wore the Saucony Kinvara's but I think they're a bit too light for me for marathon distance, and I will probably wear the Asics Noosa's (gaudy, tri-version of the DS Trainer) on the day.

Route: Home to Ros a Mhíl crossroads and back
    Distance: 10 miles
    Time: 1:14:48
    Target Pace / Achieved Pace: 7:25 / 7:29
    Perceived Exertion (out of 10): 6.5
    Personal Satisfaction: 7 (nice to complete the last LSR, even if over pace)
    Weather: Kind of chilly, no breeze, lovely for a run

I am waiting patiently for the usual injury drama before the A race??

Everything seems to be going strangely well - good luck on monday!

• Advertisement

Bar the continued treatment of the ab muscle tear, I've been feeling well, and getting psyched up for the big day. For the past few days, however, I've been feeling the onset of a cold and seeing the 7 month old smeared in snot yesterday wasn't particularly reassuring. Anyway, I woke up this morning feeling crap and energyless.

I'm just glad the race is on Monday, with plenty of time to start feeling better. Sleep hasn't been great recently due to the two year old's new habit of crawling into our bed at anytime after midnight, and then proceeding to kick the sh*t out us while he sleeps contentedly! Tomorrow night, I'm sleeping in the spare room!

I'm heading into town to Bjohnson later on today to have a last dig at the ab muscle. After that, it's back to the runner's placebo of vitamin C and echinacea!

I had hoped to put in three short runs this week. I did one run on Tuesday, and if I'm feeling better tomorrow, I'll do another light three miler. I now await Catweazle's comments regarding another drama of mine prior to a big race!

Tuesday

A light three miler at approximate race pace, Garmin playing up so had no real idea of pace while running.

Route: Home to An Sruthán and back
    Distance: 3 miles (approx)
    Time: 22:07
    Target Pace / Achieved Pace: 7:25 / 7:22
    Perceived Exertion (out of 10): 7
    Personal Satisfaction: 7
    Weather: A rare night time run, cold enough to justify long sleeves.

^^^ I beat you to it ^^^:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Best of luck on Monday ronanmac!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck on Monday Rónan. Spray the little snot buckets with disinfectant and you won't catch anything from them*
    You'll be halfway back to Galway by the time I finish!

*not good advice

^^^ I beat you to it ^^^:D

:o:o:o. Goddamn you, catweazle. What hope do I have next year when my arch nemesis can already read me like a book?!:D

And to think that things were going so well! To be honest, I'm not too concerned. I feel like sh*t at the moment, but there's plenty of time to feel better. Monday has me a combination of curious and scared. I've never "raced" a marathon before, just plodded along best I could. We'll see where it all ends up!

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    Best of luck on Monday Rónan. Spray the little snot buckets with disinfectant and you won't catch anything from them*
    You'll be halfway back to Galway by the time I finish!

*not good advice

I might try the disinfectant spray later. Why should I be cleaning my hands religiously when they're covering me with evil germs? :D

Not alone will I not be back in Galway by the time you finish, I've no intention of heading home until Tuesday! We've booked into a hotel near the finish line for two nights, and it's a leg-stretching train journey home for the day after the marathon (things are bad when I'm already looking past the marathon, and looking forward to everthing post-marathon :o).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Best of luck Monday. With a bit of luck we'll crossthe finish line around the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

Best of luck Ronan. Sounds like some great training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Best of luck tomorrow Ronan
    Sub 3:15 no bother to you, you've the training done now just enjoy the race

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Go n-éirí leat agus bain sult as an lá!

6:30am, and the alarm went off. We were staying in the Schoolhouse Hotel, about five minutes walk from Merrion Square and despite the number of marathon runners staying there, there was no breakfast until 7am. I had a banana, chia seeds in water and a shower, before heading down to the restaurant for a bit of porridge and some coffee.

It had been a few marathons ago since I last ran with my original running buddy, Brendan, and it was nice to share a pre-marathon breakfast again. Bren had put in a big year’s training and it occurred to me that it’s a strange sport at our level that we’re much better runners now that we’re in our mid-thirties than we were when we did our first marathon together in New York in 2002.

For some reason, I felt more relaxed before this marathon than any other I had run previously. Sure, I had the usual anxieties the night before, but the cold I had the week before (real or imaginary) had cleared up the day beforehand, and I knew that the ab muscle tear would be tender but manageable. My plan for the day was to head out with the 3:15 pace group and see how long I could hang on.

At the start, I introduced myself to Krusty_Clown, who was pacing, and met pgmcpq who I recognised from his log photos. Although pgmcpq and I were only two or three people back from the pacers, once the race started, we fell way behind straightaway. I had envisaged a nice calm pacing group making its way around Dublin, but the first mile and a half was like running in a washing machine. Elbows, barging, stepping on people’s toes, and that was just me! (only joking!). It took a fair bit of energy that I didn’t expect to expend at the start of the race just to make my way back to Krusty and village runner, but things settled down again at O’Connell Street.

The ab muscle had me paranoid the night before. I kept feeling a strain up the right side of my torso depending on how I lay in bed, but even though it felt sore at the start of the race, it disappeared as the body warmed up. By Phoenix Park, things had settled down and I was feeling good. At about the seven mile mark, I found myself running beside a fellow Boards AC singlet wearer, foleyalan, another man aiming for 3:15, and we locked into a nice pace together just in front of the pacing group. The first hill at Inchicore didn’t seem as steep as it did last year, but I had forgotten about the other one shortly afterwards! With no balloon in front of me to pace off, and with the Garmin losing GPS signal (this keeps happening to me at big races!), I was a bit nervous that we were going too fast. I think Alan felt the same as he kept glancing back, and reassuring me that the pacers were only a few metres behind. Krusty roaring on the crowds and the runners was probably an indication of his proximity anyway!

At about 11.5 miles, I felt a stitch in my chest, and this got me irrationally anxious, as (a) last year, I had to walk a stitch off at about mile 17, and (b) this is how the abdominal muscle tear manifested itself at first during the run at Loughrea Triathlon. There was no need to worry though, as it had passed by half-way. I think it was brought on by the combination of the extra exertion of that long drag by Crumlin and of trying to stay in touch with the pacers at a narrow section of the route. I encountered elbows here again! Bloody dangerous!

At about mile 15, I think, there was a mad scramble at the water station and I fell back a good bit from the pacers. I looked around for foleyalan and I could see no sign of him either, and it took a fair bit of work over the guts of a mile to get back in touch with the 3:15 balloon. No sign of Alan, though. I sidled up beside Krusty at about mile 17 and when he asked me how I was, I told him that I had never felt as good, running at that pace for that many miles (of course, I never had run that far at that pace!). Shortly afterwards, pqmcpq pops up from nowhere! “I’m back”, he says, and bounces off, looking very comfortable, to latch onto village runner who was pacing a few metres ahead.

Up the hill at Milltown, again feeling better than last year, and a surprise at mile 18 to see my wife and Brendan’s wife cheering at the side of road! It’s a brilliant feeling to see people you know during a race like this, and especially so when you’re not expecting to see them at that point. Mile 19, and I had completely erased from memory the hill at Clonskeagh. No recollection at all of this from last year. Running on my own, I know I would have suffered and slowed badly at this stage, but the work Krusty put in to bring the pack up the hill was epic. I’m not sure where he drew a breath while shouting encouragement. Another short, sharpish hill near Stillorgan (I think?), and then the downhill to get to the dual-carriageway.

I was beginning to feel the pain at this stage. The hills that I had forgotten had taken their toll and I could see the orange balloon moving further and further ahead. Just before the UCD flyover, I found myself beside pgmcpq again, who let off a godawful roar of pain after catching a kerb at the top of the flyover. I asked him if he was ok, he explained his pain, and I headed down the ramp trying to keep sight of the balloon. At this stage, the pacers weren’t that far away from me, but my efforts to up my pace was only matching, at best, their pace, so the gap never closed. Onto Merrion Road, and I was breaking down the distance into the short runs at home. “From my house to Loch an Mhuilinn and back, and I’m done” I thought. With no GPS signal to give me my pace, and with the pacers going on ahead, the only way I could stop myself from falling into a slow pound of self-pity was to try and overtake people. psychozeb must have had the same idea, passing comment on the Boards singlet as he casually breezed by at mile 24!

With two miles to go, I kept looking at the stopwatch and at the pace band, wondering if I’d get under the 3:15 mark. Coming around College Green, I picked up the pace. On Nassau Street, a nice surprise as a friend from college recognised me and gave a cheer! A big spurt at the end, and across the line in 3:15:08. My first reaction was elation, my second was vomit. I reckon every ounce of my carefully-considered gel strategy was heaved over the barrier in the finish area! T-shirt, medal, goodie bag that felt at the time like it contained a bag of cement!

I met my wife around the corner and hobbled back to the hotel, where I had a quick bath, and we walked back to McGrattan’s. There, I met Aimman and robinph, who had put in a fantastic time, before heading to the front of the bar where I had arranged to meet some other people. Brendan arrived in, having run 3:43, almost an hour better than his previous PB, and a much stronger run than he had expected.

Looking back at the race, I am delighted and over the moon. This year, I’ve been disappointed with missing a sub 1:30 half marathon by 17 seconds, and by missing out on a top 100 place in Gaelforce West. I am nothing but overjoyed with 3:15:08 however. It knocks 40 minutes and 32 seconds off last year’s PB, and is way ahead of where I imagined I would be at the beginning of the year, when I posted on this log that 3:40 would be the target (and even that was an optimistic target at the time).

I’m very grateful to Krusty, Village Runner and Rory for their pacing and the hard work they selflessly put in to get us around. As it was last year, this year’s marathon was extremely well-organised (barring some water station chaos on occasion), and the spirit in which it was run, and supported, was fantastic. I plan to take a break from marathons next year, and try my hand at triathlons, but might give it a shot again in 2012.

Thanks to everyone for their messages of encouragement. It all culminated in what was a great day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Great story Ronan. What different did you do this year in your training to increase your times so much. Having done 3:49 myself this year I'd love to step up another level next year and maybe try for a BQ of 3:20:59.
    Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

Well done Ronan, great time. Im really Glad you managed to stay with the Pacers. It was really nice to meet you. Congrats on the massive PB and well done .

Nice running Ronanmac, I assume Januarys Tuam 8k comes into focus now :D

Well done on the time, its some improvement to take 40 minutes off in a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Well done Ronan - great racing
    Congrats on a brilliant time and one huge lump knocked off your pb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭plodder

Well done. Your last year's PB must have been the same as mine. But, 3:15 now! That's an awesome result!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Comhghairdeachas Rónan, fantastic result and report.
    I bet you'll change your mind and go for sub 3 next year ;). You know you hate swimming!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Well done Ronan, That's a serious PB especially coming off an injury.

Keep up the hard work and you have a sub 3 in you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Smashing result and thats some improvement Ronan. Well done it was a super day for running and you certainly made the most of it!

neilc wrote: »
    Great story Ronan. What different did you do this year in your training to increase your times so much. Having done 3:49 myself this year I'd love to step up another level next year and maybe try for a BQ of 3:20:59.
    Neil

The improvement has been over two years rather than just the year, Neil. 2008 London was 4:27:55. Losing weight and changing to the 3-day week Furman training plan got it down to 3:55:48 in 2009. This year's extra improvement was due to more consistent training (again using Furman), a belief that I could run faster, setting more aggressive targets, doing a chi running workshop with Catherina McKiernan, keeping the weight down, doing more races earlier in the year that kept me interested in running, and the support that comes with keeping an online log.
    All that said, the training wasn't that consistent, the miles were relatively low (I think 34 miles was my biggest weekly total :o) and I pretty much totally abandoned the cross-training part of my plan.
    Nice running Ronanmac, I assume Januarys Tuam 8k comes into focus now :D
    Tuam is, of course, the big target! Looking at Leenane before that, though, and Athenry. I'd love to do the Waterford half again this year, but I don't know if I'll be able to afford it, time-wise and money-wise.
    littlebug wrote: »
    Comhghairdeachas Rónan, fantastic result and report.
    I bet you'll change your mind and go for sub 3 next year ;). You know you hate swimming!

I don't hate swimming, I'm just crap at it! As for next year, there definitely won't be a marathon in 2011. Plus I think the commitment needed to bring 3:15 to 2:59 is considerably more than needed to bring 3:55 to 3:15, and I'm not sure I have that level of commitment, let alone ability!
    foleyalan wrote: »
    Well done Ronan, great time. Im really Glad you managed to stay with the Pacers. It was really nice to meet you. Congrats on the massive PB and well done .

Nice to meet you too Alan. A pleasant surprise for me to end up running along with a club mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Great to meet you Ronan. Excellant run -you looked well in control when I saw you. Sorry about the bad language at Stillorgan:o. Yes the start was a bit of a scrum- next time I think I will start further behind the pace group. Was very pleased when I finally caught up you again.

It's a week today since the marathon, and here are a few observations!

I've been eating like a horse since last Monday, constantly hungry! I'm going to pile on some serious pounds unless my appetite levels off shortly...

Coming down from Dublin on the train on Tuesday, I noticed that the abdominal injury that had me so worried before the marathon had totally disappeared. I was delighted but puzzled as long runs had always made it worse. Then, on Wednesday morning after picking up the youngest lad from the cot, I noticed the strain back again! I alway carry the boys on my right hip, and having been away since Sunday, I hadn't carried them at all. As plain as day in hindsight, but it was lifting the two lads on my right hand site that kept the injury from healing properly!

I qualified for Boston, with 51 seconds to spare :D (although I have no intention of running Boston:D:D)

People keep asking me now when I'm going to run sub 3 hours :rolleyes:. I tell them that (a) I have no intention of running another marathon for at least a year, and (b) it would take a hell of a lot more commitment in training to knock off the 15 minutes than it did to knock off the 40 minutes between the last two marathons.

I was actually looking forward to going for a run again post-marathon. Usually, I'd leave it months before I'd out again!

Saturday
    30 minutes easy on the bike in the shed. Enough to get the blood moving and the lungs open, and enough to watch an episode of Peep Show!

Sunday
    A night-time run to clear the head after a wedding the day before. Ran down to Trá an Dóilín, where I stopped for a few minutes to soak in the night. Perfectly still, a carpet of stars in the sky, and the lights from the other side of the bay spilling across Cuan an Fhir Mhóir (Greatman's Bay). Lovely to be running for no particular reason, keeping no particular target! Tried to focus on form rather than anything else, but felt a few twinges and tightnesses on the right hip and hamstring near the end of the run.

Route: Home to Trá an Dóilín, to Cuileán and back
    Distance: 3 miles approx
    Time: 22:55
    Pace: 7:38 approx
    Perceived Exertion (out of 10): 4
    Personal Satisfaction: 8 (a lovely run of nothing)
    Weather: Still calm night, with a slight chill in the air, and a few, bizarre warm breezes. Strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Just catching up on the log now Rónán. Congrats on the DCM result. That's a massive PB. Fair play. Enjoy the down time

Tuesday

A day of force 7 winds and pelting rain, so I decided to go out for what I reckoned would be an adventurous run! My aim was nothing more than recover from the marathon and use the run to focus on form.

Form went out the window very quickly, however, when I headed west into the wind, and the rain pinged so hard off my face that putting my head down at a 90 degree angle to my neck was the only way of staving off the pain on the skin! I ran down to Trá an Dóilín, where the sea was really heaving, and a short shore run brought me to Céibh an Dóilín, where the long incline back up to the main road was aided by the strong wind at my back. At about four miles, I began to feel twinges again, nothing more than would be expected, especially as it was a pretty hilly route

Route: Home to Trá an Dóilín, Céibh an Dóilín, around Cuileán and back
    Distance: 5.1 miles
    Time: 39:53
    Pace: 7:42
    Perceived Exertion (out of 10): 6
    Personal Satisfaction: 7 (exhilarating )
    Weather: Wildest day I've been out running so far this year, force 7 winds and heavy rain

• Advertisement

Thursday

My wife was in town doing a course last night, so I packed the running bag and brought the boys for a visit to the in-laws, where I promptly abandoned them and ran off into the night :D (that sounds harsher than it actually was!!).

The wind and rain had eased off by the time I headed out last night, and being at a bit of a loss these days due to not having a training plan to follow, I decided to go out on the main road, run west to as far as the footpath finished, and then turn around. That left me at about 3.5 miles so a little extra stretch down to the beach and back finished the four miles for me.

No niggles for the first time post-marathon, so I pushed it on a little bit. I think I'll dig out the Furman 10k plan, count back from 26 December to see where in the plan I start, and start preparing to improve a 47 minute PB for that distance!

Oh, and I really need to get a stronger light for these nights...

Route: Na Minna to An Tulaigh to Trá na Minna and back
    Distance: 4.1 miles
    Time: 28:26
    Pace: 6:56
    Perceived Exertion (out of 10): 8
    Personal Satisfaction: 7 (nice to not feel any little pains)
    Weather: Blustery but dry

Advertisement