Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheating in the Leaving Cert

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Samskeyti

If someone goes to the effort of orchestrating an attempt at cheating, I'd say let them get away with it.

"Really Now? But what about morals and justice?"

One must ask themselves why they are going to snitch on someone : Is it for self-satisfaction? Some skewed self-righteous ideal? The possibility that they did better than you?

I'd put my money on it that it's one of the above, and of course, neither of those things are very moral.

However. If you're mortal enemies with someone you suspect is a cheater, I wouldn't even blink at the opportunity of gunning them down.

So you'd be happy if someone who did no work during their school life got your college place? I don't think you get the point here.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

....As I warned above, DO NOT name your school on the internet. Don't do anything that could be construed as libelous. Remember - the alleged cheating has not been proven or investigated. If anybody is caught in the act, they deserve a fair hearing before "cheating" has been established.....

Ooops, didn't even think of that, cheers Luther!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 What to do with my life?!

Samskeyti wrote: »
    I'm logged in on this account but this isn't my account, so I doubt you know what school I'm talking about but to be honest I have no problem with saying what school it is because it's a lousy one that only cares about its reputation, not the students who go there.

Don't name the school here...you would be very silly to do so and only bring hassle on yourself. Remember this is an "adult" situation so you need to deal with it accordingly by going through the correct channels and the right people who you trust and also protect your own interest.

Of course you should report it and document it and alert the appropriate authorities. Somebody said it back along does the invigilator not notice the patterns of these students....they may very well and be documenting it and might be waiting for the right time to act on it or if they are totally oblivious to it then they are not right the person to be supervising a state exam......our taxes pay for our exam so it should be conducted properly.
    And I do not understand how people do not think it affects them....go course it does...there is the bell curve every year and they must reward a certain number of grades per student per year so for the dopes cheating they could take the B3 you need leaving u on a C1...how pissed off would u be not getting ur first place in college over that?! And the thing is that if these people have the balls to cheat in the leaving cert they will do it the whole way through college in which there is also a bell curve system.
    I think your peers on the website should support you and inform you on how best to report misconduct like this.
    It is better to fail on your own merit than pass on somebody else’s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irondragons

So you'd be happy if someone who did no work during their school life got your college place? I don't think you get the point here.

No, I don't think you get the point. The possibility of someone robbing you of a college place is next to zero. It's a silly sentiment that doesn't really justify ratting someone out.

Also, if someone does go out of their way to cheat, the chances are that they don't know the material as well as you, and thus, their answers will come out clunky and incoherent.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

It's not like the people are even going to know it's you that told on them, it's not on, yopu studied they didn't, why should they get good results....report

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 XXRachelXX

Guys this thread is pointless, just focus on your own work and they'll get what's coming to them. Nothing good will come of ranting on the internet

itac wrote: »
    Google is your friend :cool:
    http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=co&sc=ct

Email/Fax details are also there....just incase you might want to send them a link to this thread... ;)
    That's a really good idea. I think I just might. Thank you :D

GVNDNN wrote: »
    It's not like the people are even going to know it's you that told on them, it's not on, yopu studied they didn't, why should they get good results....report

I studied quite hard, so don't get me wrong. But, I don't think you earn a place up on some grandiose self-righteous pedestal just because you studied.

The cheaters are not going to do better than you, because all they can do is memorize quick definitions and parrot them out on the paper.

If you studied, you are clearly going to do better than them. And too, all the cheaters are probably just aiming to scrape a pass to get into some low-level college.

I studied quite hard, so don't get me wrong. But, I don't think you earn a place up on some grandiose self-righteous pedestal just because you studied.

The cheaters are not going to do better than you, because all they can do is memorize quick definitions and parrot them out on the paper.

If you studied, you are clearly going to do better than them. And too, all the cheaters are probably just aiming to scrape a pass to get into some low-level college.
    That is very true actually, but it shouldn't be allowed in the first place, that's all I'm trying to say. I'm just trying to make sure we're not all screwed over because of people like this. I believe I'm in the right by speaking my mind and trying to do something about it. Sorry if you disagree but I'm sure plenty agree with you also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

And too, all the cheaters are probably just aiming to scrape a pass to get into some low-level college.

This.

Some incredible number of people in my year cheated, none of them got courses they wanted and ended up in ITs.......

BUT.

Please stop bítching at eachother, Boards is a discussion forum......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭kieran--f

the irish times will love quoting this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

I'm sorry... what planet are you on?!
    Someone who has the book stashed in the bathrooms is blatantly going to do better than the average student who has studied well. You're clearly talking out your arse and trying to justify cheating.

The only situation in which I personally would consider it acceptable is for a compulsory subject that is not going to be used for points but if failed will debar them from progressing to 3rd level, and they are at risk of failing it. Example: a guy doing foundation maths with 7 honours subjects, who knows he will fail maths.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Just a warning shot to a few people to watch what they say on this: please think before you type.

Condi wrote: »

You say you didn't care but maybe if you did something it could have been stopped? That's what I want to do, stop people getting away with doing nothing and taking the success of people who have worked hard. It's not fair and I know "life's not fair" but this has to been done.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Condi wrote: »

A 'piss take' which we've spent the last 6 years of our lives preparing for.

I hate these cool college kids who suddenly after they've completed the LC downplay it at every opportunity possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 leavingcert92

yesterday i totally forgot i had my phone in my pocket and it rang in geography.. granted it was on vibrate but EVERYONE could hear it.. the examiner just gave me a stern look and i turned it off......how embarrassing.....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Weigh up what's most important to you, keeping a good reputation or preserving the integrity of the exam. Personally, I'd keep my head down and now say anything, but that's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 spankyman

You say you didn't care but maybe if you did something it could have been stopped? That's what I want to do, stop people getting away with doing nothing and taking the success of people who have worked hard. It's not fair and I know "life's not fair" but this has to been done.:cool:

Stop being such a ****ing loser and focus on ur own study, thats life nd peeps r gonna get away with it spending ur whole time on hear bitching bout it is just gonna make u do worse, u fool

I'm sorry... what planet are you on?!
    Someone who has the book stashed in the bathrooms is blatantly going to do better than the average student who has studied well.

Why so Ad hominem?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 spankyman

Oh hai, I'm banned from the LC forum now.......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

spankyman wrote: »
    Your a fecking sap, thats just gonna make more trouble for u nd d people ur reportin r obv gonna find out it was u nd kick ur head in tosser

Bye now.

Why so Ad hominem?

I don't speak latin, and I'm not going googling.
    Can you actually explain how you think the average student, in an exam with only their brain, is going to do better than someone with a book, or are you just a troll?

Red Alert wrote: »
    Just a warning shot to a few people to watch what they say on this: please think before you type.

I wonder if the state will bother investigating people playing the devil's advocate in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

A 'piss take' which we've spent the last 6 years of our lives preparing for.

I hate these cool college kids who suddenly after they've completed the LC downplay it at every opportunity possible.

Depends on what way you look at it and probably the school you're in/went to.

I think the LC is a joke. I'm know the most about Information Technology and have the most interest in it out of all the people in my school, but I'm unlikely to get into college because I'm not going to do well in my exams yet someone else in the class is likely to do the course I want.

I'm studying, but a family issue ****ed up the past 2 years of my life, so if I don't get into college it's because I don't know much about things that are irrelevant to what I want to do in life, like King Lear. Funnily enough, I can read, write and speak fine. My grammar isn't the best, but it's fine and I can spell. But that won't help me get into college. It's not like I'm not trying.

I'll be lucky to even get on a PLC course, but I only found out about them a month ago thanks to my school's crap career guidance. I got rejected from a PLC course the day before the Leaving started, despite being told to go back in July and after an interview that went really well, I don't have high hopes.

They really need to sort out the LC. School should be like a PLC course.

I don't speak latin, and I'm not going googling.
    Can you actually explain how you think the average student, in an exam with only their brain, is going to do better than someone with a book, or are you just a troll?

Okay. Let's weigh out all the possibilities in the situation :

How much time does one have in a bathroom before it starts looking suspicious? And of course, more than one visit to the bathroom during the exam is going to look suspicious too. So, let's say 10 minutes. You have 10 minutes to memorize massive essays and a whole load of questions during that short period of time. You're not going to get a whole load done.

You should also consider : the cheaters are going to be studying under immense pressure. Probably most of the information will go right through them.

So, 10 minutes, immense pressure and gambling on the possibility you won't get caught. It doesn't exactly look like the expressway to an A1 to me.

Okay. Let's weigh out all the possibilities in the situation :

How much time does one have in a bathroom before it starts looking suspicious? And of course, more than one visit to the bathroom during the exam is going to look suspicious too. So, let's say 10 minutes. You have 10 minutes to memorize massive essays and a whole load of questions during that short period of time. You're not going to get a whole load done.

You should also consider : the cheaters are going to be studying under immense pressure. Probably most of the information will go right through them.

So, 10 minutes, immense pressure and gambling on the possibility you won't get caught. It doesn't exactly look like the expressway to an A1 to me.

10 minutes is more than enough when you know exactly what answers you need. It's also more than enough to learn the main points of an essay off, especially when you're going straight to writing it once you're done looking at the book.
    They get to go to the bathroom and look for answers to the exact questions on the paper. The people who aren't cheating have a brain crammed full of now useless information, along with the little bits they need for the exam.

Also, the part in bold, yeaaahh.... no. It works the other way. When you're under immense pressure your mind will go into overdrive and act like a sponge. How do you think cramming works? I've noticed it as have many others, they're doing better than they've ever done in school exams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kylerr

the peeps who need to cheat are prob just lookin for a pass... therefore not gona be much of a threat to your college place

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement