Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloody Sunday killings to be ruled unlawful

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

What did you expect the Solicitor for the soldiers to say exactly?
    Something along those lines.. I thought it was interesting and the thread would benefit from it, just like it did from posting that TUV leaders comments. That ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

"My primary thoughts today are with the thousands of innocent victims of the IRA who have never had justice, nor benefitted from any inquiry into why their loved ones died.
    "Thus today's jamboree over the Saville report throws into very sharp relief the unacceptable and perverse hierarchy of victims which the preferential treatment of 'Bloody Sunday' has created."
    - Jim Allister

It seems he can't tell the difference between soldiers employed by a supposed democratic and accountable government charged with protecting it's citizens and a terrorist organisation whose only mandate is self appointed and who is accountable to no one. When the latter murders it is undoubtedly a travesty, when the former murders it undermines the very bedrock of a free and fair society. While both acts are equally reprehensible the consequences for the former are far deeper and destructive and so it should be dealt with much greater care.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Something along those lines.. I thought it was interesting and the thread would benefit from it, just like it did from posting that TUV leaders comments. That ok?

Thats fine by me. As you were...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

sink wrote: »
    "My primary thoughts today are with the thousands of innocent victims of the IRA who have never had justice, nor benefitted from any inquiry into why their loved ones died.
    "Thus today's jamboree over the Saville report throws into very sharp relief the unacceptable and perverse hierarchy of victims which the preferential treatment of 'Bloody Sunday' has created."
    - Jim Allister

It seems he can't tell the difference between soldiers employed by a supposed democratic and accountable government charged with protecting it's citizens and a terrorist organisation whose only mandate is self appointed and who is accountable to no one. When the latter murders it is undoubtedly a travesty, when the former murders it undermines the very bedrock of a free and fair society. While both acts are equally reprehensible the consequences for the former are far deeper and destructive and so it should be dealt with much greater care.

aside from the fact that there were inquiries for victims of the IRA, they were called criminal trials

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

prinz wrote: »
    Now some people can get back to name calling, finger pointing and spitting. Awesome. We've come a long way.

Another sterling contribution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Cowens comments, sum up how I feel actually! haha

Irish Prime Minister Brian Cowen said the Saville Inquiry was necessary because the "whitewash of Widgery" had "deeply compounded" the grief of the victims' families. The Taoiseach said the ultimate injustice was the "unjustified and unjustifiable killing of innocent civilians by those who claimed to be keeping the peace". "It was an act of murder that cried out for justice and truth - instead, justice and truth were then denied and cast aside," he added. Mr Cowen said a "shameful attempt to distort history" has now been set aside and the "truth has been set free."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

Simple fact is that gunfire came out of the bogside, the British army was perfectly within their right to return fire. The collateral damage that was caused as a result of them returning fire was not and should not be classified as murder.

If anybody was to blame for the deaths of the innocent it should be those IRA men that fired at the soldiers. I think the report was a complete waist of time and resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

aside from the fact that there were inquiries for victims of the IRA, they were called criminal trials

Yeah, I'm still not sure what kind of inquiry they want tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

dclane wrote: »
    Simple fact is that gunfire came out of the bogside, the British army was perfectly within their right to return fire. The collateral damage that was caused as a result of them returning fire was not and should not be classified as murder.

If anybody was to blame for the deaths of the innocent it should be those IRA men that fired at the soldiers. I think the report was a complete waist of time and resources.

Go **** yourself, how's that? Has to be said tbh. They shot unarmed civilians, many of them in the back. Absolutely nothing to do with the IRA. The soldiers didn't return fire, they shot at people running away and people aiding others who had been injured. One of the victims was shot close-up in the back then shot as he lay injured on the ground, inexcusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

So you think the report was a waste of time because you disagree with its findings? Really? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Simple (....) resources.

The soldiers fired first.

If you've alternative information, why did you not bring it to the attention of the tribunal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Really disappointed with the reactions from Unionists and some on here. It's a really simple issue. Soldiers massacred innocent civilians who were protesting genuine inequality in society. Anybody muddying the waters, throwing in the PIRA and IRA into statements on today are doing the same things that caused there to be a need for an inquiry in the first place. It's a disgrace. Unionists never, ever learn. They would keel over and die if they were to be any way gracious. It has nothing to do with the IRA.

danbohan wrote: »
    i think you are a complete waste of time and your parents resources , does it matter , no , does your opinion matter, no , the truth has come out today . now take your twisted logic to some quiet dark place and try deal with your hatred of all things Irish there

I am as Irish as they come my friend, collateral damage happens during a war and can you honestly say that the soldiers were wrong to return fire when fired upon?

The innocent killings were caused the actions of the IRA and it is the IRA who should apologise to the families of the dead. The English followed orders and did things by the book. The report means nothing and nothing should come from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Simple fact is that gunfire came out of the bogside, the British army was perfectly within their right to return fire.

The report found that it was the British army who initiated fire.
    The collateral damage that was caused as a result of them returning fire was not and should not be classified as murder.

Collateral damage? That's an interesting way of describing shooting an innocent man in the back of the head, who was waving a white flag trying to assist a dieing man.
    If anybody was to blame for the deaths of the innocent it should be those IRA men that fired at the soldiers.

I think you'll find that the report found that the British soldiers were 100% to blame. David Cameron agrees with this point of view.
    I think the report was a complete waist of time and resources.

Waist of time?

It wouldn't have been as costly if the original report had of reported the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

I am as Irish as they come my friend, collateral damage happens during a war and can you honestly say that the soldiers were wrong to return fire when fired upon?

The innocent killings were caused the actions of the IRA and it is the IRA who should apologise to the families of the dead. The English followed orders and did things by the book. The report means nothing and nothing should come from it.

read the report , they were not fired on , it was premeditated cold bloodied murder something the British army very good at .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Is that the "How to shoot unarmed teenagers book"?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

Hopefully there will be prosecutions of British soldiers who murdered unarmed civilians, what did Cameron have to say about the Bloody Sunday massacre.

Really disappointed with the reactions from Unionists and some on here. It's a really simple issue. Soldiers massacred innocent civilians who were protesting genuine inequality in society. Anybody muddying the waters, throwing in the PIRA and IRA into statements on today are doing the same things that caused there to be a need for an inquiry in the first place. It's a disgrace. Unionists never, ever learn. They would keel over and die if they were to be any way gracious. It has nothing to do with the IRA.

It has everything to do with the IRA, they were there shooting at the British soldiers. They massacred people in Northern Ireland for years without provocation, innocent people I might add! I'm not a unionist, I'm a normal Irish Catholic joe soap entitled to my say like everybody else.

It seems to me to be quite the contrary this thread has some very strong republican views which seem to be using the publishing of the report as a grounds to put across more and more republican rhetoric!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

It has everything to do with the IRA, they were there shooting at the British soldiers. They massacred people in Northern Ireland for years without provocation, innocent people I might add! I'm not a unionist, I'm a normal Irish Catholic joe soap entitled to my say like everybody else.

It seems to me to be quite the contrary this thread has some very strong republican views which seem to be using the publishing of the report as a grounds to put across more and more republican rhetoric!

I suppose the one victim who was proved to be on his stomach when he was shot in the anus was just collateral damage too? If that isn't murder what is?

If that was your brother/son would you still be spewing the same shít you are now?

Hopefully there will be prosecutions of British soldiers who murdered unarmed civilians, what did Cameron have to say about the Bloody Sunday massacre.

He was actually shockingly apologetic.

• Advertisement

It has everything to do with the IRA

No, it didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

dlofnep wrote: »
    No, it didn't.

It sure did after though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

fontanalis wrote: »
    It sure did after though!

Your right there. One of there biggest recruitment days. Along with the hunger strikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

You need to have a look into the past ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayXcfps1MUA

dlofnep wrote: »
    He was actually shockingly apologetic.

What will all the hardline tory backbenchers think:D

Maybe the Lib Dems are talking some sense into him as regards the North.

Read the report. FFS.

If there are prosecutions how long will these murderers have to serve, would they not be released after a few months under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Erm, Widgery or Saville then, which one do you prefer?

Good to see the victims of this dark day have their names cleared completely as well as being declared unlawfully killed. Good statement too from British PM Cameron.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

celticbest wrote: »
    Worse atrocities :confused:

These soldiers killed unarmed civilians in the name of queen & country, what's worse then the people whom have been charged with keeping law and order being the one who actually commit an atrocity :confused:

Soldiers above everyone else through training and discipline should have controlled themselves in a tense situation and not carried out a murder spree....(Unless they were order to).

I'm just thinking of the likes of William Moore who died recently, a man who abducted innocent people, then slashed them up with butcher knives before killing them. The leader of his gang once pulled a guys teeth out one by one with a pliers before killing him.

Others from his gang are still alive and were released under the terms of the GFA.

As I said its not something I'm sure about either way.

Congratulations for the families and well done to Lord Saville and the other judges. Excellent statement from Brian Cowen also.

• Advertisement

Didn't like Miriam O'Callaghan's promo for Prime Time tonight. "Will we learn the full truth about Bloody Sunday?". Implying we might not. That's really low. She should think before doing the promo.

Advertisement