Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The Cush wrote: »
    Until such time as the Mux Tariff issue is sorted all channels on that list will remain as proposed. I'd guess RTÉ1 HD will appear once Mux 2 launches but that'll depend on sufficient channels being available.

IMO the Tarriff issue is a Red Herring thrown up by TV3.

I don't understand why the BAI have designated MUX 2 to the established broadcasters, OTV and IFBTV, when they are as likely as the Expressions of interest given to the BAI, in other words unlikely. Why not designated them on a first come first serve basis e.g. if Chillie Hits was ready to go let them on, rather then waiting for the Irish Film Board.

If the BAI wait for RTÉ ONE HD, TV3HD, TG4HD, TV3+1, 3Kids, IFB etc etc then the other proposed channel really have no chance of even talking to the BAI.

I'd expect things to remain pretty much as is until maybe 2014 and MUX 3 to launch in 2015 if those EoIs are still interested, which is unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

TV3 are broke begrugders that were allowed to be in breach of Licence ever since they started till ASO.

BAI are clueless and policy based on Politics and Government revenue, not what is good for Broadcasting, the Country or Consumer/Viewer/Listener. They already held back DTT launch nearly two years and achieved nothing from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

The week in politics is going to be shown on Sunday afternoons and RTE News has announced a 2 hour news program which i take it will be broadcast on the RTE News Channel as well. Just heard the tail end of the announcement on the one o clock news. Interesting times ahead.

The week in politics is going to be shown on Sunday afternoons and RTE News has announced a 2 hour news program which i take it will be broadcast on the RTE News Channel as well. Just heard the tail end of the announcement on the one o clock news. Interesting times ahead.

Should have been done ages ago.

They will also have a 2hour "morning" news from 9 to 11.

http://www.rte.ie/about/en/press-office/press-releases/2012/1024/342950-changes-to-rte-news-and-current-affairs-announced-today/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I can see TG4 going HD in the near future. TV 3 and RTE one further on probably in New Year or beyond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Elmo wrote: »

Should have been done ages ago.

They will also have a 2hour "morning" news from 9 to 11.

http://www.rte.ie/about/en/press-office/press-releases/2012/1024/342950-changes-to-rte-news-and-current-affairs-announced-today/
    Still shows how hobbled rte are by the stupid earlier decisions. Rte news now should be allowed to have advertising if it's got new content. The simulcast on 1 adds no benefit to the consumer, but obviously is a work around so they can have ad breaks.

Jpmarn wrote: »
    I can see TG4 going HD in the near future. TV 3 and RTE one further on probably in New Year or beyond.

For TG4 to go HD on Saorview Mux 2 has to open, plus the Department and BAI reviews.
    Still shows how hobbled rte are by the stupid earlier decisions. Rte news now should be allowed to have advertising if it's got new content. The simulcast on 1 adds no benefit to the consumer, but obviously is a work around so they can have ad breaks.

I agree however RTÉjr could be removed from RTÉ TWO and replaced by Teeny repeats programming such as The Big Bang Theory, Smallville, 90210 etc repeats with advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

RTÉ News At One Huge changes in methods of news consumption - RTÉ's Kevin Bakhurst

RTÉ Press Release - Changes to RTÉ News and Current Affairs Announced Today

RTÉ announces changes to news output - RTÉ
    Major recasting of news production - Irish Times
    George Lee and Claire Byrne among RTE big names securing prominent new roles - Irish Independent
    New lease of life for George Lee as Richard Crowley quits Prime Time - Irish Independent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

I can't believe that there will be any new channels, it's all "soon, soon and soon".

You're all fooling yourselves it's not going to happen, it's a persistent joke.

Below the basic level of non-committal information with the self belief that they are giving information.

I don't believe the people who are meant to give information have any information to give but that they have pretty faces and voices.

I don't think anyone here believes that new channels will appear, bar HD versions and maybe TV3+1. And I don't believe them to be new service.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anyone else hope that RTE show the Christmas Movies on RTE2 for the whole HD thing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

will the english channels (BBC UTV) become available through Saorview in the future

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Tomjim wrote: »
    will the english channels (BBC UTV) become available through Saorview in the future

No.

Anyone else hope that RTE show the Christmas Movies on RTE2 for the whole HD thing ?

Yes.*

*Anyone else think that RTÉ won't :(

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Be happier if they were showing them on RTE1 HD! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Frainc

A bunch of extra channels just appeared on my telly, entitled TEST SERVICE, numbered 1 to 7, what is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

I thought they switched those off a couple of days ago? Are they reading "no signal"?

They were just showing testcards on the frequencies that will be used for the 2nd Saorview multiplex.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Frainc

I thought they switched those off a couple of days ago? Are they reading "no signal"?

They were just showing testcards on the frequencies that will be used for the 2nd Saorview multiplex.
    Yeah, the channels are blank, nothing there but they are options to press but lead to a blank screen. What is the 2nd Saorview multiplex?

The 1st mux is more than full. There are possible 4 for Saorview and even 6 is possible if pay TV never happens.

The 1st mux is overfull. ANY one of TV3 or TG4 going HD or ANY extra channel (Oireachtas TV), then ALL the channels need reassigned to two muxes. I'm guessing Oireachtas will not launch until after the 2nd mux need is "triggered" by TG4 or TV3.

If ALL the existing TV is HD, more radio and Oireachtas and added, then 4 or 5 mux might be needed. The bit rate is too low on Radio at the moment too.

Frainc wrote: »
    Yeah, the channels are blank, nothing there but they are options to press but lead to a blank screen. What is the 2nd Saorview multiplex?

At the moment all the Saorview channels are carried/multiplexed on a single frequency/UHF channel per transmitter known as Mux1 (Multiplex 1).

As watty says above this mux in now full and if further channels want to launch on Saorview or if some of the existing SD channels want to go HD there is no space/capacity for them so a 2nd Mux/frequency/UHF channel will be required. This 2nd mux has been testing off and on for some time now (most recent testing ended Wed/Thur) and is ready to go once there are new channels willing to launch and are approved, sign the necessary agreements and pay the related transmission and distribution costs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

At the moment, both TG4 and TV3 are talking up their readiness to go HD. If they do, then the second mux is needed. Once the mux is turned on for service, then RTE 1 will likely also go HD (even if only upscaled). The means we will have 4 HD channles taking up all but a third of the new bitrate. That leaves room for 6 SD channels. Currently there are 3 other SD channels, RTE NN, RTE Jr/+1, and 3E. That would leave space for one HD or 3 SD channels.

Alternatively, they could improve the quality of the audio channels and the existing SD channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

How much space is taken up if they went with 2 full HD, 1920x1080 with AAC and 3 full SD, 1024x576 per mux.?
    At the moment the SD is just 544x576 making the picture hazy and soft, not a true widescreen resolution

At the moment, both TG4 and TV3 are talking up their readiness to go HD. If they do, then the second mux is needed. Once the mux is turned on for service, then RTE 1 will likely also go HD (even if only upscaled). The means we will have 4 HD channles taking up all but a third of the new bitrate. That leaves room for 6 SD channels. Currently there are 3 other SD channels, RTE NN, RTE Jr/+1, and 3E. That would leave space for one HD or 3 SD channels.

Alternatively, they could improve the quality of the audio channels and the existing SD channels.

TG4 HD

The Department gave 2.7million for this project, which is currently only a trial on UPC. But both UPC and TG4 want to launch it fully. They can't as the minister must ask his department to carry out a public consultation and the BAI to carry out a strategic review of TG4 HD. The grant was given in 2011 it is now coming to the end of 2012 and there is no sign of the minister to insure that the consultations take place.

If he does ask for the consultations, it will take the BAI and the Dept 2 to 3 months to carry out such consultations and another month for them to report back to Minister, and he wastes time, so see an official launch at the earliest in Mid-2013. Though I suspect that all involved want it on Saorview to save some face.

TV3 HD

AFAIK TV3 have actually asked ComReg that they have free carriage on Soarview until the carriage costs issue is resolved. If TV3 wanted they would just launch TV3HD on UPC as TG4 have done. They would also launch TV3+1 on UPC also.

RTÉ ONE HD

Seriously! I have heard nothing from RTÉ in relation to RTÉ ONE HD. It is not on the books in the near future. Perhaps they are playing it down. RTÉ has to first suggest to the minister that they would like to apply for RTÉ ONE HD. The minister then has to ask his department to carry out a public consultation and the BAI to carry out a strategic review as they did for RTÉ TWO HD.

If RTÉ approach the minister in January about RTÉ ONE HD then we might see the consultations on TG4 HD and RTÉ ONE HD happen together. With both given the go ahead in Mid-2013..... That's not to say either would launch until 2014.

OTV and IFB Channel

The oireachtas are busy getting HD ready (FFS). The IFB Channel is just one of those things QUANGOS talk about.

IT IS ALL ARSE WAYS.

There is one way to ensure that TV3 never agree to transmission charges and that is to give them free carriage until they do agree to charges. What nonsense for them to ask and what nonsense for such a ridiculous suggestion to be even considered for a nano-second.

Ask arses to do something and it is done arseways.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Okay mind the language please

I have come to the opinion that the Irish Film Channel will never happen. I'm not sure its something the IFB should even be involved in the first place. It might be better use of its time to provide funding for an existing PSB to show Irish films.

Follow the money.

There is no mechanism for IFB to fund anything much and certainly not Transmission charges and "Rights" fees (they hardly own anything) to run a FTA channel.

TV3 are SO BROKE that under any normal system they would be wound up as insolvent. They are not even paying interest currently, their debts are "parked" as if they are a Mortgage owner with a temporary difficulty. Their problem isn't temporary. If BAI had any "bottle" they should revoke their licence and have someone not sinking under debt run the channel. The current arrangement of TV3 is an insult to the Nation.

Hence TV3's refusal (against licence condition) ever to pay to be on more than about 80% of analogue, to want everything digital free (even though TWO channels is a bit less than they paid for one before). Just ignore TV3's whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

watty wrote: »
    Follow the money.

There is no mechanism for IFB to fund anything much and certainly not Transmission charges and "Rights" fees (they hardly own anything) to run a FTA channel.

TV3 are SO BROKE that under any normal system they would be wound up as insolvent. They are not even paying interest currently, their debts are "parked" as if they are a Mortgage owner with a temporary difficulty. Their problem isn't temporary. If BAI had any "bottle" they should revoke their licence and have someone not sinking under debt run the channel. The current arrangement of TV3 is an insult to the Nation.

Hence TV3's refusal (against licence condition) ever to pay to be on more than about 80% of analogue, to want everything digital free (even though TWO channels is a bit less than they paid for one before). Just ignore TV3's whinging.
    Why is it that they are not been wound up if they are insolvent?... what is the deal with them being a "mortgage owner"?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,036 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No broadcaster gets to air for free, imagine if they had their own mast and transmitter and then rang up RTE and asked them to repay the loans on the construction of the mast and transmitter, and pay the ESB bill as well. It's ludicrous.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

So are TV3 paying nothing as it stands for Saorview carriage?

• Advertisement

byte wrote: »
    So are TV3 paying nothing as it stands for Saorview carriage?

According to two Dáil replies from May 2011 the Minister said they would have pay the transmission charges otherwise they wouldn't be on Saorview.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72313829
    Due to the nature of this pilot phase, it was considered appropriate that TG4, TV3 and other third party broadcasters would not be charged for DTT services during this period. However, broadcasters including TV3 and TG4 will be required to pay for DTT services on the RTÉ digital network thereafter.

Advertisement