Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think the Sound and Vision Fund should retain, say 25% of the rights to any programmes produced under it. If we, as licence payers, fund a programme, we should get some return from those that generate sales as we will not get anything from all those turkeys they currently fund. The money generated would stay within the fund and so producers would not miss out as the money generated would simply become available for future productions.

There might, then, be a measure of reluctance on behalf of those who administer the fund not to go in for turkey farming as they currently do.

I'm not famillar with the IFB to know if they are the ideal fund managers, but certainly the current scheme is seriously lacking in the quality department, not to mention failing to ensure we get value for money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

I think the Sound and Vision Fund should retain, say 25% of the rights to any programmes produced under it. If we, as licence payers, fund a programme, we should get some return from those that generate sales as we will not get anything from all those turkeys they currently fund. The money generated would stay within the fund and so producers would not miss out as the money generated would simply become available for future productions.

There might, then, be a measure of reluctance on behalf of those who administer the fund not to go in for turkey farming as they currently do.

I'm not famillar with the IFB to know if they are the ideal fund managers, but certainly the current scheme is seriously lacking in the quality department, not to mention failing to ensure we get value for money.

with sky getting formula 1
    setanta sports ireland should be fta on saorview as they have formula 1, also have us masters golf along with other sports content that it would make better commercial way of pay tv

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Will setanta still hold irish rights to f1?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Elmo wrote: »
    Will setanta still hold irish rights to f1?[/QUO
    has sky got the irish rights.

ftakeith wrote: »

I don't know but generally sky will buy uk and irish rights.

• Advertisement

ftakeith wrote: »

I don't know but generally sky will buy uk and irish rights.

According to espn bbc and sky will have joint rights to f1 with qualifing stages on sky, both channel 4 and itv where approached.

I would say irish rights are still under negotiation so prehaps it will return to rte.

according to the score setanta have the irish rights until 2013. the bbc/sky deal runs from 12 -18.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

According to espn bbc and sky will have joint rights to f1 with qualifing stages on sky, both channel 4 and itv where approached.

I would say irish rights are still under negotiation so prehaps it will return to rte.

SadlyI would imagine it is well out of the reach of RTÉs budget. I know I certainly wont pay Rupert for it.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Any further insight into potential channel additions to Saorview following recent (couple of months ago I think ???) requests for declaration of interests to join the netork

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Any further insight into potential channel additions to Saorview following recent (couple of months ago I think ???) requests for declaration of interests to join the netork

Nothing since May - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72372488#post72372488

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Was yesterday's Quarter final between Limerick and Kerry between shown on RTÉ2 in HD or that upscaled muck? I was in Croker so couldn't check it.

Looked upscaled to me - no noticable definition around the HD logo - which is the only way I can tell (other than Michael Lester actually announcing it up front).

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

I saw a promo for RTE ONE+1 on RTE One earlier today. No mention Of RTE News Now yet. I know RTE ONE+1 is not a great addition to Saorview but at least it is now been recognized by RTE as part of the service.

I saw a promo for RTE ONE+1 on RTE One earlier today. No mention Of RTE News Now yet. I know RTE ONE+1 is not a great addition to Saorview but at least it is now been recognized by RTE as part of the service.

Started at the weekend.

Saw it last Sat night - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73565180#post73565180

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bjp1967

Checking RTE website of phone yesterday in which they confirmed that this weekends GAA matches will be in HD, both Saturday night and Sunday, also all games each Sunday for August will be HD. Irelands rugby international in August will be in HD and European Champions Leaugue qualifiers too.

This was in sports sector, no mention of other programs in HD

bjp1967 wrote: »
    Checking RTE website of phone yesterday in which they confirmed that this weekends GAA matches will be in HD, both Saturday night and Sunday, also all games each Sunday for August will be HD. Irelands rugby international in August will be in HD and European Champions Leaugue qualifiers too.

This was in sports sector, no mention of other programs in HD

Elmo has a thread on the press release over in Broadcasting - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056347077

The Cush wrote: »
    Elmo has a thread on the press release over in Broadcasting - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056347077

Where I have gone complete off topic sorry! But I am sticking to my theory :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Waterford and Kilkenny is upscaled sh1te and the Galway-Clare minor match was on high-def why the hell do Rte even bother when they cant do things right

Looked like somebody forgot to flick the HD switch until just before end of 24th minute - there was a little blip and then HD again !!!!! Amateur mistake.

I also thought the adverts prior to the Sunday game looked to be in full HD - how could that be ??

• Advertisement

Details of the expressions of interest released

http://www.bai.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/20110815_BAIDTTEOI_FINAL.pdf

TV3

TV3 Kids / TV3 Classics
    TV3+1 (No surprise there)
    TV3HD (again no surprise)

TG4
    TG4 +1 (Irish content only)
    Shared with Cula4 I assume

Community Channel provided by NvTV and DCTV (carriage free)

Setanta and City provide no expressions of interest

Other channels suggests

Chilli Hits (Should be considered)
    Irish TV (Should be considered)
    NITV (not to be considered)
    FISÉ (not to be considered)
    CEOL (not to be considered)
    EOLAS (not to be considered)

Radio Channels

Digital Radio Ltd (Mocha by the looks of things) (Should be considered)
    Raidió Rí-Rá (considered but development required)
    Easy FM (irony in that name) (should be considered)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

TG4 HD is missing from there. I saw a post recently of the tender process for HD gear at TG4. What about Today FM, Newstalk & 4FM as radio services? 4FM could do with the extra coverage as their current remit to cover the major cities with overspill to surrounding areas is a joke. I also thought the idea of RTÉ Select was pretty good but then again I've tuned to RTÉ One+1 a few times since launch.

TG4 HD is missing from there. I saw a post recently of the tender process for HD gear at TG4. What about Today FM, Newstalk & 4FM as radio services? 4FM could do with the extra coverage as their current remit to cover the major cities with overspill to surrounding areas is a joke. I also thought the idea of RTÉ Select was pretty good but then again I've tuned to RTÉ One+1 a few times since launch.

I don't really understand why TG4 went through this process, under the broadcasting act RTÉ and TG4 propose new services directly to the minister with the BAI doing a impact assessment. RTÉ One HD and TG4 AS (HD) are provided for under the broadcasting act 2009.

The BAI should write to each of the national, multicity, regional and niche broadcasters to be on DTT, it is a slap in the face that none of the established radio stations provided an expression of interest.

RTÉ PLUS if RTÉ wanted will have to be put through the process that it went through before.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Good to see some expressions of interest but i have a feeling if RTENL don't come to some arrangement with content providers and reduce their carriage costs a lot of these channels won't make it on air. If RTENL don't reduce their carriage costs i hope the minister for communications intervenes and comes up with a cost plan that suits all parties involved otherwise we will end up with a very basic DTT service with just the RTE channels on it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Good to see some expressions of interest but i have a feeling if RTENL don't come to some arrangement with content providers and reduce their carriage costs a lot of these channels won't make it on air. If RTENL don't reduce their carriage costs i hope the minister for communications intervenes and comes up with a cost plan that suits all parties involved otherwise we will end up with a very basic DTT service with just the RTE channels on it.

RTE NL are forced to operate two muxes when only one would do for the present. With two muxes running, they have double the cost for the same income. However if they populate the two muxes, their income increases for no further extra costs. (More or less).

So until they populate the extra channels, they cannot afford to reduce their charges. Of course, it does not help that TV3 have a free ride at present.

So until they populate the extra channels, they cannot afford to reduce their charges. Of course, it does not help that TV3 have a free ride at present.

I assume that TV3 and TG4 are now paying for DTT, I thought non-payment was purely for the "trial".

I assume that TV3 and TG4 are now paying for DTT, I thought non-payment was purely for the "trial".

That was the case last May - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72313829

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Anyone else getting slowly annoyed with RTÉ ONE +1?
    Its crap how it only starts at 7 and doesn't even show some shows

It would be nice if BBC1, 2, 3 and 4 could broadcast HD on saorview as well. I wonder could there be a British Isles FreeView system?
    TG4 HD would be nice, but RTE ONE HD is more important to me personally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Anyone else getting slowly annoyed with RTÉ ONE +1?
    Its crap how it only starts at 7 and doesn't even show some shows

It would be nice if BBC1, 2, 3 and 4 could broadcast HD on saorview as well. I wonder could there be a British Isles FreeView system?
    TG4 HD would be nice, but RTE ONE HD is more important to me personally

Equity would probably object to HD and demand extra makeup allowance:D

Advertisement