Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Are there HD versions of BBC 3 or 4?

Perhaps we should rejoin the UK and see all broadcast jobs move over to the BBC's new media city in Manchester and for get about Project 2025. I know I said we should ignore the political troll but they are so damn sneaky.

TG4+1 will only show Irish Programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

It's a pity that Setanta didn't propose anything. While I know they are a pay tv operator I've always thought that the Setanta Ireland channel could be the basis of a "Fifth" free national tv service. A few films or older american comedy imports and maybe a news headline service a few times a day, with the emphasis still on their sport content (highlights and some live content even if it was less live coverage than present). They already showed some films on the channel :confused: a few weeks ago. It would allow them to access more households and get some advertising money and allow them to plug Setanta sports 1 etc. A name change to setanta tv5 or simillar seen as they are already on UPC 105. They could possibly find a partner for the channel while still completly owning Setanta Sport 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Anyone else getting slowly annoyed with RTÉ ONE +1?
    Its crap how it only starts at 7 and doesn't even show some shows

It would be nice if BBC1, 2, 3 and 4 could broadcast HD on saorview as well. I wonder could there be a British Isles FreeView system?
    TG4 HD would be nice, but RTE ONE HD is more important to me personally

Seems like everyone is in for RTE bashing at the moment.
    BBC3 & BBC4 start their schedules at 7pm just like RTE1+1. ITV are also culpable of the blank screen syndrome on their +1 channels.
    There is no point on whinging about the HD PQ difference between satellite & saorview, both are on a different playing field.
    BBC have at least a decade of HD experience under their belt, RTE just a few months. Also +1 wasn't RTE's idea, thank the minister for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

Why can't there be Saorview plus? For say 5 euro a month, you get the standard UK channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

NFD100 wrote: »
    Why can't there be Saorview plus? For say 5 euro a month, you get the standard UK channels?

There is no pay DTT element to Saorview, no equipment requirement in the spec for encrypted services.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Elmo wrote: »
    Perhaps we should rejoin the UK and see all broadcast jobs move over to the BBC's new media city in Manchester and for get about Project 2025. I know I said we should ignore the political troll but they are so damn sneaky.
    What are ya smoking? LOL! :p
    Calm down man, your a regular here have a bit of sense :)
    What I suggested is that their could be a joint freeview service - what on earth is wrong with that? Do you want the country to leave every international organization? :rolleyes:

Boxer, One Vision and Easy TV all provided details of planned payTV service. Issues were not just the bond to RTÉ, but the companies would have fallen apart at this stage leaving us in the same situtation, why? Ireland has 2 major pay tv providers (UPC and Sky), the limited service that any terrestrial service would not be able to compete in urban markets (which they all suggested they would start from).
    What I suggested is that their could be a joint freeview service - what on earth is wrong with that? Do you want the country to leave every international organization?

Because advertising worth 60million already leaves the state each year, causes problems for Irish TV channels. No problem with international companies providing services and jobs in Ireland. My point is most of the UK's main production is in England. And RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 wouldn't be allowed broadcast fully in the UK as they would see it as damaging their own indigenous broadcasters.

Scotland, NI and Wales while getting some recognition in the last few years still don't don't do very much "national" TV and when they do they are often aimed at English audiences. Ireland would be left as a backwater. IMO.

But then the BAI view TV3HD, TV3+1 and TG4+1 as new services hahahahhaha.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

get freesat for uk tv

tv3's reason for getting rid of the itv's digital tv channels on upc was their own versions on saorview

ftakeith wrote: »
    tv3's reason for getting rid of the itv's digital tv channels on upc was their own versions on saorview

I don't see how TV3+1 or 3Classics are replacements for ITV channels. Okay 3e aims at the same audience as ITV2 but ITV3 doesn't have a replacement in part time 3 Classics.

Just noticed on the RTÉ autumn schedule that Mrs. Brown's Boys will be screened on RTÉ 1. This has been series has been screened on BBC1 HD rather than BBC 2. The fact that most BBC comedy goes out on BBC 2 rather BBC 1 would be be fair to assume that the series was recorded in HD and was therefore screened on the HD channel rather than SD BBC 2. Conclusion, if it is in HD why not screen it on RTÉ Two?

• Advertisement

Just noticed on the RTÉ autumn schedule that Mrs. Brown's Boys will be screened on RTÉ 1. This has been series has been screened on BBC1 HD rather than BBC 2. The fact that most BBC comedy goes out on BBC 2 rather BBC 1 would be be fair to assume that the series was recorded in HD and was therefore screened on the HD channel rather than SD BBC 2. Conclusion, if it is in HD why not screen it on RTÉ Two?

Well for one it is ****. it is aimed at a bbc 1 audience, and rte launch general ignors rte 2.

From this i assume that there is no hd version of bbc 2, 3 or 4.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well for one it is ****. it is aimed at a bbc 1 audience, and rte launch general ignors rte 2.

Nope, there are no specific HD alternatives to BBC 2/3/4.

BBC HD is perhaps an amalgamation of these 3, moreso BBC2 perhaps.

?????

?????

Right back at you ????? but I will try to explain?????

The first season of Mrs. Browne's Boys aired on BBC 1 as it is a BBC 1 show, while original commission for BBC 2 the BBC 1 controller felt it was better aimed on their channel rather then BBC 2. BBC 1 and 2 have different audience, BBC 1 going for a much more traditional mainstream audience with BBC 2 having a much more alternative slate of programmes.

RTÉ tend to produce scripted comedy and drama for RTÉ 1, while RTÉ 2 is mainly there for sports, us programming, children's and alternative "comedy". RTÉ new season mentioned RTÉ 2 but it was mainly about RTÉ 1.

And in case your confused by **** because of boards.ie censorship, Mrs. Browne's Boys is S.hit and no amount of HD could improve it.

Right back at you ????? but I will try to explain?????

The first season of Mrs. Browne's Boys aired on BBC 1 as it is a BBC 1 show, while original commission for BBC 2 the BBC 1 controller felt it was better aimed on their channel rather then BBC 2. BBC 1 and 2 have different audience, BBC 1 going for a much more traditional mainstream audience with BBC 2 having a much more alternative slate of programmes.

RTÉ tend to produce scripted comedy and drama for RTÉ 1, while RTÉ 2 is mainly there for sports, us programming, children's and alternative "comedy". RTÉ new season mentioned RTÉ 2 but it was mainly about RTÉ 1.

And in case your confused by **** because of boards.ie censorship, Mrs. Browne's Boys is S.hit and no amount of HD could improve it.

My previous comments were on the picture quality of the programme, HD/SD & not on it's content. BBC HD is used to simulcast transmission of programmes that are shown on BBC 2 in SD, eg Top Gear. Confusion no, just the spelling.

My previous comments were on the picture quality of the programme, HD/SD & not on it's content. BBC HD is used to simulcast transmission of programmes that are shown on BBC 2 in SD, eg Top Gear. Confusion no, just the spelling.

It won't matter people will still tune in for that type of crap, it shouldn't even be given a camera.

????? <<<<< That represents my confusion, sorry I have no sign for my bad spelling. (While a terrible speller even with a spell check that post was written on a phone, still it wasn't that bad a post, I have posted worse.)

As I said it is purely down to channel content that it is on RTÉ One and BBC One neither took into consideration HD. Perhaps RTÉ will repeat the show on RTÉ Two.

It won't matter people will still tune in for that type of crap, it shouldn't even be given a camera.

????? <<<<< That represents my confusion, sorry I have no sign for my bad spelling. (While a terrible speller even with a spell check that post was written on a phone, still it wasn't that bad a post, I have posted worse.)

As I said it is purely down to channel content that it is on RTÉ One and BBC One neither took into consideration HD. Perhaps RTÉ will repeat the show on RTÉ Two.

My initial query was, if the programme is recorded in HD, why are RTÉ screening it on RTÉ One? Surely their efforts should be to maximise the HD content on RTÉ Two HD. As for target audience, the programme should fit in at a 9pm (post watershed) or 9:30pm slot (after the 9 news on RTÉ One) on 2 HD, as a lead into their later more alternative schedule.

My initial query was, if the programme is recorded in HD, why are RTÉ screening it on RTÉ One? Surely their efforts should be to maximise the HD content on RTÉ Two HD. As for target audience, the programme should fit in at a 9pm (post watershed) or 9:30pm slot (after the 9 news on RTÉ One) on 2 HD, as a lead into their later more alternative schedule.

You would also think that both The Big Big Movie and The Midweek Movie would move over to RTÉ Two HD.

I just don't see Mrs. Browne's Boys sitting well on either RTÉ Two or BBC 2, even as a lead into more alternative programmes, the show is far to mainstream they have just thrown in the F word every two mins to make it less of a family programme and more gritty, more sexy, more contemporary, more real, more controversial etc etc.

You would also think that both The Big Big Movie and The Midweek Movie would move over to RTÉ Two HD.

I've thought the same myself. Maybe they don't have access to HD versions at the moment.

I just don't see Mrs. Browne's Boys sitting well on either RTÉ Two or BBC 2, even as a lead into more alternative programmes, the show is far to mainstream they have just thrown in the F word every two mins to make it less of a family programme and more gritty, more sexy, more contemporary, more real, more controversial etc etc.

While I'm no prude, and having seen only one episode myself, I find it difficult to imagine the sort of "comedy" based on the inclusion of a four letter word here & there to be something that a UK mainstream (BBC One) or rural Ireland audience would either find offensive or repetitive after a while.

While I'm no prude, and having seen only one episode myself, I find it difficult to imagine the sort of "comedy" based on the inclusion of a four letter word here & there to be something that a UK mainstream (BBC One) or rural Ireland audience would either find offensive or repetitive after a while.

That's my point, the F word is just pointless in the series, and could easily be a nice family show except for the F word. Perhaps it is a deeply ironic family sitcom. I am leaving it at that, I have done this on the Mrs. Browne's Boy's thread already. Mods don't reply I am not going to post anything further on the subject here. Machinehead might and let him. FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Can someone explain to me how TV3 can get away with having TV3, e3, Tv3+1 AND TV3 Classic, when RTE 3 was blocked by the minister?

If TV3 can have so many channels, then RTE should be allowed RTE 3 as well.

bk wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me how TV3 can get away with having TV3, e3, Tv3+1 AND TV3 Classic, when RTE 3 was blocked by the minister?

In fairness to TV3 they did offer 3Kids also. IMO the +1 services are a waste of space, I think TV3 and TG4 should be force to supply those channels now with new schedule by 2012. With RTÉ 3/Plus replacing RTÉ One +1.

TG4+1 could easily be a new schedule since it is only Irish Language shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eh2010

bk wrote: »

Never heard of those channels before. Where did you hear about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

eh2010 wrote: »

http://www.bai.ie/?p=1426

eh2010 wrote: »

eh2010 it remains speculation TV3 +1 and 3KIDS/3CLASSICS do not exist they might exist however we have been speculating on all of this for a number of years and this thread was started a year ago.

TV3 had also proposed 3Xpose and 3Today but those channels seem to have dissappeared. RTÉ proposed RTÉ Plus/3 but they where only given the go ahead for RTÉ 1+1.

Other channel still in the process include TG4+1/Cula4, Community TV, Irish TV and Chilli Hits.

But it remains speculation.

Good article in the Sunday Times Magazine at the weekend about the cost of carriage on DTT. By Stephen Price.

The News International pay wall prevents me finding the column online

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/public/sitesearch.do?querystring=Stephen+Price%3A+A+fuzzy+picture&x=0&y=0&sectionId=2&p=sto&bl=&pf=all

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭tlaavtech

Good article in the Sunday Times Magazine at the weekend about the cost of carriage on DTT. By Stephen Price.

What was his conclusion? Can you summerise?

tlaavtech wrote: »
    What was his conclusion? Can you summerise?

Basically that the BAI were quick to point out the high costs of Digital transmissions, which all of the newspapers delight in reporting, while forgetting that none of the independent service took much interest in Digital and that the BAI seem to think that new channels could appear out of nowhere, after years of procrastination (by the government, regulator and independents) and on the back of a state funded network.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The News International pay wall prevents me finding the column online

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/public/sitesearch.do?querystring=Stephen+Price%3A+A+fuzzy+picture&x=0&y=0&sectionId=2&p=sto&bl=&pf=all

The irony of that is quite good. They complain about the high cost of free tv and demand a price to read about it on their website.

Typical Murdoch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Article was in the Culture magazine (not the Sunday Times magazine).

Stephen Price claims that the BAI is working itself into a lather over what it wrongly perceives to be anti-competitive practices by RTE.

He also cites administrative dithering and the failure of commercial consortiums to part fund DTT as being responsible for the original failure of commercial DTT.....pointing out the BAI Report lays failure of commercial DTT fully at RTE's door.

It is hard to agree with Stephen Price on the point of view that failure was due to the commercial consortiums not funding the infrastructure ....that a little bit like saying that someone buying a "buy to let" house did not got through with deal because the potential tenants would not put money up front (towards cost of house) while ignoring the fact that the tenant would be paying rent for "rest of his life". Balance would suggest that he refer to the fact that RTE was part of a commercial consortium that lost out in the DTT bidding process...... or that the negotiations that went on could have been seen as an attempt to "blow all others out of the water" and leave RTE playing with it's own ball. Stephen Price does not do that..and he goes on to say that DTT was expensive....that RTE were forced to pay for it by the last government..... without any additional funding....and yes he praises RTE for the time, money and effort it put into developing DTT.

The reality is that Joe Public has been funding RTE since it began operations and prudent management of those funds should have meant that the project could be fully funded with some change left over....instead our funds were squandered on high rollers (as in big names) and the outrageous (as in limitless) outbidding against competitors for Prime time events...
    Stephen Price is clearly in RTE's corner (seconds in the boxing ring parlance)...and his penultimate punch is "that the BAI's submission to the Communications Minister on transmission costs being a deal breaker is a bit of a red herring"...."like road hauliers complaining they don't get free diesel"...not indeed a great analogy...since as far as I'm aware road hauliers have not looked for free diesel.

His KO (in his own mind) punch is that the only way for the BAI to boost the commercial broadcasting sector without damaging RTE is to redesign the public service broadcaster's funding model.....a good punch for RTE in the circumstances....hope that give a fair representation with some personal thoughts added. confused.gif

Advertisement