Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Not on Ch55 from Maghera as yet ?

Anyone have an inside track on potential additonal channels who have expressed interest on joining Saorview ?

Mast works still ongoing AFIK & power levels on mux 1 not as strong as they used to be (for me anyway:(). Perhaps they are waiting on completion of the new mast before any channels are moved over to mux 2 from Maghera. Mux 2 from Mulla coming thru' nice 'nd strong though on ch.24.
    Anybody any idea when the works works on Maghera are due for completion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

The Cush wrote: »
    Mux 2 testing with content. Mullaghanish Ch. 24

RTÉ2 HD and RTÉjr/RTÉ1 +1 will occupy 3 of the slots and possibly a service or services that expressed an interest in the spare capacity on the PSB Muxes during the BAI consultation in March.

1080i HD video test loop running now on Future Service 2 (future RTÉ2 HD slot).
    RTÉ News Now on Future Service 5.
    Testcards on the other 5 TV channels and 10 duplicate RTÉ radio stations in the other slots.

I thought that any new channels or services like the Oireachtas or Irish Film channels were at least a couple of years away, what with the current economic situation etc, so why test 7 tv slots and 10 radio slots now, when there is no panic ? Any chance that we are going to be surprised by a few new channels like maybe Today FM, Newstalk etc joining the radio line up and or BBC radio services ? ( I know, I know, wishful thinking ! )

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

We are constantly being surprised, but not in a nice way. This saga has been dragging on for too many years, punctuated by a constant stream of disappointments. No one is responsible for this, every statutory body with responsibility blames everyone else and nothing happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

galtee boy wrote: »
    I thought that any new channels or services like the Oireachtas or Irish Film channels were at least a couple of years away, what with the current economic situation etc, so why test 7 tv slots and 10 radio slots now, when there is no panic ? Any chance that we are going to be surprised by a few new channels like maybe Today FM, Newstalk etc joining the radio line up and or BBC radio services ? ( I know, I know, wishful thinking ! )

They should just put up the Indo Radio Station. It is the same as having Simulcasts of RTÉ Radio services in terms of money. They could tell the indos it is jsut for the "trial" of mux 2

TodayFM, Newstalk, 4FM Classic Hits, the 4 regional radio stations and two niche dublin stations like LiteFM q102, CountryMixFM Sunshine or Phantom. And the community services.

Oh and sure DCTV and City Channel also for the tests. EuroNews also. As these are stations that will prob not cause as much upset if the had to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

With Mux2 coming on stream is there any talk on upgrading RTE 1 or TV3 to HD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Jpmarn wrote: »
    With Mux2 coming on stream is there any talk on upgrading RTE 1 or TV3 to HD?

Maybe within the next 2 years, no definite plans announced.

The Dept of Communications recommends
    RTÉ should aim to provide for full HD versions of RTÉ One and RTÉ Two as soon as practicable and by mid 2013 at the latest;

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There is no reason that RTE 1 HD should not replace RTE 2 HD when the latter moves to mux2. It would be upscaled of course. I]However, there has to be a public consultation process before RTE offers any new service, and that requires the permission of TV3 and Sky before it can be approved by all the regulators involved[/I.

Another possibility would be to move to 760i resolution on the remaining channels.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

There is no reason that RTE 1 HD should not replace RTE 2 HD when the latter moves to mux2. It would be upscaled of course. [

what would the advantage of that be? Or do you mean a combination of native HD and upscaled material? or just upscaled?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

I'm pi$$ing myself with excitement at the prospect of getting these new test cards on Mux 2.
    First all that amazing HD content on RTE 2, and now this. What can they do to top this?:pac:

mossym wrote: »
    what would the advantage of that be? Or do you mean a combination of native HD and upscaled material? or just upscaled?

The move to HD would be gradual, but the first programme to go clour was the news and all it needs for the News to go HD is a few HD studio cameras, and once they have the HD playout system installed, they can output any native HD material.

The main point is that they cannot do anything without Uncle Rupert's permission, and a nod from TV3.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

The move to HD would be gradual, but the first programme to go clour was the news and all it needs for the News to go HD is a few HD studio cameras, and once they have the HD playout system installed, they can output any native HD material.

The main point is that they cannot do anything without Uncle Rupert's permission, and a nod from TV3.

was just curious about your upscaled comment, if we don't get some native hd material why bother taking it HD.

as for TV3, well they've been hinting at a HD channel for a while, if they were getting their way they may be more willing to allow RTE to do what they want

I don't understand why any of the 4 channel need permission to go HD. If they are ready and can afford or willing why not its simlpy the same as going from B&W to Colour to Widescreen to Digital etc etc its not a new channel. RTÉ One HD, RTÉ Two HD, TV3 HD and TG4 AS should be assumed by the government and the regulator.

It won't be until after 2012 for TV3 HD, no TG4 plans that I have heard. Anyone know if TV3 new HD studio have been complete they said early part of 2011 OR was that the spring!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Elmo wrote: »
    I don't understand why any of the 4 channel need permission to go HD.

It's a requirement of the Broadcasting Act for RTÉ/TG4 but not TV3

The Cush wrote: »
    It's a requirement of the Broadcasting Act for RTÉ/TG4 but not TV3

So why did TV3 try to stop RTÉ TWO HD, why was it part of the that consultation? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

How the hell did we end up with all this cruddy regulation? :rolleyes:

How the hell did we end up with all this cruddy regulation? :rolleyes:

By having a cruddy government.

I have no problem with regulation as long as the regulator use their heads to write it and then to implement it.

Consultation: good idea.
    Requirement for RTÉ 1, 2 and TG4 HD: good idea.
    need to consult on RTÉ 1, 2 and TG4 HD: bad idea.

I mean the BAI should have know that RTÉ Two HD was a requirement and that no amount complaining from other TV content providers would be of any benefit to the consultation process.
    The Authority is broadly satisfied that the sectoral impact of RTÉ TWO HD...... is likely to be relatively low.
    The Authority believes both services will provide some public value for audiences...... RTÉ Two HD will improve the audience enjoyment of popular sports and other high profile programming.

You cannot stop it so stop asking about it.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Elmo wrote: »
    They should just put up the Indo Radio Station. It is the same as having Simulcasts of RTÉ Radio services in terms of money. They could tell the indos it is jsut for the "trial" of mux 2

TodayFM, Newstalk, 4FM Classic Hits, the 4 regional radio stations and two niche dublin stations like LiteFM q102, CountryMixFM Sunshine or Phantom. And the community services.

Oh and sure DCTV and City Channel also for the tests. EuroNews also. As these are stations that will prob not cause as much upset if the had to go.
    The addition of commercial channels would be nice. Especially if Phantom and Nova were added.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

I see Setanta Ireland have now started showing an Irish movie every night in association with the Irish Film Board. I wonder is this the beginning of a partnership between the two parties and they might launch an Irish movie channel on Saorview. Let's hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

well alot of the mux 2 transmitters are up and running so heres hoping we get some quality channels - mt leinster mux 2 consists of 10 radio channels and 7 tv channels (clones and testcards at the mo and one HD loop feed) - one of which is HD i think so heres hoping we will see some new and interesting channels :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

well alot of the mux 2 transmitters are up and running so heres hoping we get some quality channels - mt leinster mux 2 consists of 10 radio channels and 7 tv channels (clones and testcards at the mo and one HD loop feed) - one of which is HD i think so heres hoping we will see some new and interesting channels :D
    I think the HD channel is a test for RTE2 HD for when it moves over to mux 2 i think in September. I'm not picking up anything on mux 2 at the moment from Maghera but who knows maybe the other tests will throw up some interesting channels in the future.

I think the HD channel is a test for RTE2 HD for when it moves over to mux 2 i think in September. I'm not picking up anything on mux 2 at the moment from Maghera but who knows maybe the other tests will throw up some interesting channels in the future.

It would be interesting to see what replaces RTE 2 HD on mux one onced it switches as well as seeing the full lineup for mux two

It would be interesting to see what replaces RTE 2 HD on mux one onced it switches as well as seeing the full lineup for mux two

Here's how its going to work

Mux 1
    RTÉ 1
    TV 3
    TG4
    3e
    5 Radio stations

Mux 2
    RTÉ 2 HD
    RTÉ News Now
    RTÉjr/RTÉ 1+1
    5 Radio stations

No word from the minister in relation to expression of interest and I some how do not see why RTÉNL would know his decision, the DCENR did not know that RTÉNL were testing mux 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Will the picture definition for RTE 1 etc improve once RTE 2 HD has been moved over?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

What are the chances of getting the commercial radio stations; todayfm, newstalk, etc on Saorview...

Deedsie wrote: »
    What are the chances of getting the commercial radio stations; todayfm, newstalk, etc on Saorview...

All depends on carriage but id say that theres a good chance of it happening

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Why are RTE not broadcasting RTE 1 in HD?

Not enough space on the MUX, HD takes about 6 MB per second and the total bandwidth is 24

rates.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

mike65 wrote: »
    Not enough space on the MUX, HD takes about 6 MB per second and the total bandwidth is 24

Christ, you would think they could do without the likes of a couple of them obscure radio channels.

Perhaps even RTE Jnr for the time being.

• Advertisement

They are obliged to transmit them I think (the radio channels take up very little space), when the second MUX is running RTE2 will be moved over to it and space for RTE1 HD will be created as far as I know.

Advertisement