Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Elmo wrote: »
    TV3 said
    RTÉ TWO HD a convenient proposal to monopolise all sports content (particularly when the Department is currently proposing that sports content such as rugby be only avialable to FTA channels).
    Reads like. 'How dare RTE show us up by having champions league footy in HD while WE SHOW IT IN SD'

There goes any speculation on the launch of TV3 HD so, it just ain't happening. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Reads like. 'How dare RTE show us up by having champions league footy in HD while WE SHOW IT IN SD'

There goes any speculation on the launch of TV3 HD so, it just ain't happening. :D

Well they were supposed to have finished their HD studio in early 2011, but as we all know its only spring in TV land :)
    As has the BBC. And RTE. In fact nearly all TV is suffering from too much availability in everything except talent.

Seems to have hit ITV worse. But yes I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

watty wrote: »
    UTV only marking time till they close in 2012 or 2013. Hence all the investment in Radio and Internet. There licence really ends with Analogue.

UTV has a Digital Replacement Licence issued in late 2004 and expiring end Dec 2014. Renewal subject to review I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That sounds like a TV3 programme, which would end up with countless repeats on 3e. Perhaps a UTV/TV3 co-production.

BTW I think the posters here are saying they would rather a fuller ITV schedule from UTV rather then picking and choosing Soap and Talent Contests, UTV at least continue to get what ever drama, documentaries and other programming that ITV provide them, something that TV3 tend to ignore. IMO ITV has gone down hill over the last 10 years.

Totally correct.

It really has dumbed down and has very few quality shows now. Its all about X-Factor, Britains Got No Talent, Soaps, trashy shows. Generally anything which will appeal to the lowest common denominators.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

You can't help but think about the famous Bazalgettes. One was a victorian civil engineer and his descendant, the maker of "bIg Brother" etc.
    One pumped the sh1t out of peoples houses the other pumped it back in.:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Old joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Text_Mad

Can anyone shed some light on will we have channel 4, has saorview propsed some kind of plan to get this station?

Text_Mad wrote: »
    Can anyone shed some light on will we have channel 4, has saorview propsed some kind of plan to get this station?

When Channel 4 pay to go on the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Text_Mad

Do you think this is likely i rekon the station has a big following in ireland?
    I suppose at the end of the day its any one's guess?

Pay TV providers pay Channel 4 to be on their services, its unlikely that Channel 4 would want to loose that revenue so they can pay to be on Saorview. But who knows? IMO unlikely. Also TV3 would have issues as it has to provide a certain amount of Irish programming while C4 is regulated in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

A big enough following for Channel 4 to require ROI rights to all programmes it commissions itself.

There'd be some but not much rights issues with Channel 4 going on Saorview. It would be the same as the version of C4 on the Sky EPG in the Republic of Ireland, some programmes blocked. The bigger obstacle would be UPC whom as we see have moved hell and high water to prevent UK services going on Saorview, which has greatly damaged the attractiveness of the platform. They'd be a far bigger draw than three RTÉ services, only two of which are ever on air at the same time, and all three of which are entirely composed of simulcasts and repeats of RTÉ One and RTÉ Two programmes.

icdg wrote: »
    They'd be a far bigger draw than three RTÉ services, only two of which are ever on air at the same time, and all three of which are entirely composed of simulcasts and repeats of RTÉ One and RTÉ Two programmes.

An even bigger draw would have been if RTÉ had been told to launch RTÉ Plus straight away, but then TV3 objected to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Fair points lads....it doent seem that our Saorview service is going to be fleshed out with any more general tv channels plus i think one of our boards posters stated earlier on that there is sweet feck all info out there in regards to the BAI invite of interest. :(

Wouldnt mind channel 4 - as for how this was done, I do wonder why the BAI had to ask sky or upc (who want FTA to suffer against thier products) in the first place. Its just not right. if ye dont have something like a channel or cash investment in the Saorview project then they should have been left out of it.

If thee had been a part private/public developement and investment into Saorview then we might have had a more wide ranging lineup?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Did a rescan of the Saorview channels today (1.45pm) and in addition to the 1 to 8 TV channels that I was already receiving....I also got Channels 11 to 17....marked Future Service 1 to Future service 7.

All the additional channels were showing some form of test card.... except Future Service 5 (channel 15) which was showing "live" RTE News Now.

As regards Definition..... all were at 544 x 576...except Future Service 2 (channel 12) which was at 1440 x 1880...and is now actually showing a HD landscape video.

Whats coming down the line?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Same as Hibrasil, noticed this a few minutes ago myself.
    I wonder what they will fill the channels with.

Mux 2 testing with content. Mullaghanish Ch. 24

RTÉ2 HD and RTÉjr/RTÉ1 +1 will occupy 3 of the slots and possibly a service or services that expressed an interest in the spare capacity on the PSB Muxes during the BAI consultation in March.

1080i HD video test loop running now on Future Service 2 (future RTÉ2 HD slot).
    RTÉ News Now on Future Service 5.
    Testcards on the other 5 TV channels and 10 duplicate RTÉ radio stations in the other slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The Cush wrote: »
    Mux 2 testing.

RTÉ2 HD and RTÉjr/RTÉ1 +1 will occupy 3 of the slots and possibly a service or services that expressed an interest in the spare capacity on the PSB Muxes during the BAI consultation in March.

1080i HD video test loop running now on Future Service 2 (future RTÉ2 HD slot).
    RTÉ News Now on Future Service 5.
    Testcards on the other 5 TV channels and 10 duplicate RTÉ radio stations in the other slots.

I don't understand, the three channels you mentioned are already on saorview, why would they occupy some of the new slots that showed up today?

Pangea wrote: »
    I don't understand, the three channels you mentioned are already on saorview, why would they occupy some of the new slots?

Ministerial Decision last Feb.
    1.1 Conditions under which Ministerial Consent is granted

Conditions attaching to Specific Channels

1. RTÉ Two HD Select channel is required to be carried on the second multiplex;

4. The RTÉjr/RTÉ Plus channel shall be carried on the first multiplex until 1 September 2011 and from 1 September 2011 shall be transferred to the second multiplex;

Fancy testcard on channel 13.

I think Saorview should be renamed TestView or TrialView.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Ministerial Decision last Feb.

That decision is intended to hobble RTE. It makes two channels advert free so no income, but extra transmission charges because of the requirement to go to two muxes when one would do for the time being. Not only that but for significant times, the channels will be blanked over rights issues. Also RTE NN cannot show programmes not already shown elsewhere, another hobble.

Someone didn't do their homework, or there is something more sinister going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭swoofer

no mux 2 on maghera yet, xx

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Not on Ch55 from Maghera as yet ?

Anyone have an inside track on potential additonal channels who have expressed interest on joining Saorview ?

Fancy testcard on channel 13.

Telefunken FuBK testcard - http://www.pembers.freeserve.co.uk/Test-Cards/#FuBK on channel 13 & 16 (Future Service 3 & 6).

That decision is intended to hobble RTE. It makes two channels advert free so no income, but extra transmission charges because of the requirement to go to two muxes when one would do for the time being. Not only that but for significant times, the channels will be blanked over rights issues. Also RTE NN cannot show programmes not already shown elsewhere, another hobble.

Someone didn't do their homework, or there is something more sinister going on.

RTÉjr was always going to be ad free. (And RTÉ have had a policy of no ads during programming aimed at 0-6 year olds for at least a decade).

RTÉ 1+1 won't make any extra money for RTÉ, it will just take audience that would watch on RTÉ 1 over to RTÉ 1 +1 E.G. C4+1 has only 0.8 (which C4 has lost some of its audience since digital in any case).

I don't understand why RTÉ NN can't show other programming such as Sports news programming repeats?????? or that RTÉ NN could not provide evening news from around europe e.g. BBC Parliment provide coverage of most European Elections i.e. taking RTÉ's coverage of the 2007 and 2011 and they get it courtesy of the EBU.

As for RTÉ 1+1 ending at 2am ????? and the Fair City issue ???? :rolleyes:

But yes I agree with, I wouldn't try to defend the decisions of an FF Minister. While Rabbitte ruled ryan out of rugby, he has yet to take an interest in any of the expressions of interest if anywhere provided.

Anyone have an inside track on potential additonal channels who have expressed interest on joining Saorview ?

Mary Curtis, RTÉ's Director of Digital Switchover doesn't even know it appears - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72450291&postcount=1504

Mary Curtis, RTÉ's Director of Digital Switchover doesn't even know it appears - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72450291&postcount=1504

Why would she this is the responsibility of the BAI (who have sent their report to the Department) we await the Ministers response.

Why would she this is the responsibility of the BAI

They all sit around the Dept of Communications DSO Steering Group table and both are members of the Content Working Group, chaired by the BAI, if they aren't discussing future content what are they discussing?

Getting it on 58 with an indoor aerial but the signal is much weaker, not sure if it's my setup (very likely) or could it be that it's only coming from Kippure at the moment?

Also getting reports of it active from Knockanore on 44 (Mux 1 is 47).

The FuBk card caught me by surprise.

They all sit around the Dept of Communications DSO Steering Group table and both are members of the Content Working Group, chaired by the BAI, if they aren't discussing future content what are they discussing?
    Karsini wrote: »
    Getting it on ...

Glad I read on.

When do they meet when was the last time they met? BAI may not wish to discuss expression of interest with that Steering Group.

• Advertisement

When do they meet when was the last time they met?

13 meetings since Sept, the Dept should be able to give you the dates.

Advertisement