Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

It's known that RTÉ have a lot of what you might call "excess programming"; ones that they get as part of a package in order to acquire the rights to what they view as a more primetime program. At the moment these often end shown in the twilight hours, despite getting decent slots in other countries. Surely RTÉ could fill up an extra channel using some of this stock, without needing to spend more on new programming. It could also be used for repeats of their primetime shows, as someone suggested in another post. Maybe even some archived shows. That way they can still compete with the likes of E4 and BBC3 without needing to come with entirely new programming on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

Is Bourne being shown in hd?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Niles wrote: »
    It's known that RTÉ have a lot of what you might call "excess programming"; ones that they get as part of a package in order to acquire the rights to what they view as a more primetime program. At the moment these often end shown in the twilight hours, despite getting decent slots in other countries. Surely RTÉ could fill up an extra channel using some of this stock, without needing to spend more on new programming. It could also be used for repeats of their primetime shows, as someone suggested in another post. Maybe even some archived shows. That way they can still compete with the likes of E4 and BBC3 without needing to come with entirely new programming on its own.

That was the idea behind rte plus but the former fianna fail minister refused that channel :( so we only have rte 1 +1 now and no stage two rte plus to replace what is in my opinion a waste of bandwidth on the mux (never been a fan of +1 channels personally)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

+1 is total waste, even I was not there watch the orginal transmission, I may not be there to watch it an hour later, so I prefer a PVR so I can watch it whenever I am there ready to watch it 1, 2, 3, 4 or many hours later.
    Any word on Saorview+ PVR box?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Is Bourne being shown in hd?

"The Bourne Speculation":D
    (Don't think so as far as I can see)

Still haven't see any info re HD content for sports this weekend or anything else besides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

That was exactly what RTE wanted to do. But the BAI didn't support it at the behest of TV3 and Sky (not regulated here, don't pay VAT on subs here), and Carey signed the channel list in the dying days of the Govt (post election iirc). As far as I'm aware, RTE will be blocked from coming back with this proposal for a couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

IMO:
    RTÉ2 HD is deadly! Thanks RTÉ

RTÉ News Now should be in HD seeing as how its in a window - could do with better interactive functions too

RTÉ One should be in HD, give the non HDers a chance to catch up with a spare SD channel as well

An RTÉ Plus channel showing decent content from RTÉ One and 2 - some earlier some later, perhaps with interactive function too
    Wouldnt be arsed with a +1 channel at all, maybe an interactive feature

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

RTÉ have to update all of their systems, including sets, Sports to start with then movies then US programming and then Irish programming. News will be the last thing to become HD.
    RTÉ One should be in HD, give the non HDers a chance to catch up with a spare SD channel as well

All Saorview approved equipment (TVs/STBs) can pick up RTÉ TWO HD (or any other HD channel on the network). RTÉ will need the second mux when RTÉ ONE HD happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Elmo wrote: »
    RTÉ have to update all of their systems, including sets, Sports to start with then movies then US programming and then Irish programming. News will be the last thing to become HD.
    Ah fair enough, I'm not too well up on this :)
    All Saorview approved equipment (TVs/STBs) can pick up RTÉ TWO HD (or any other HD channel on the network). RTÉ will need the second mux when RTÉ ONE HD happens.
    A fair enough.. when do you think the second mux may come online?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

News will be the last thing to become HD.

News was one of the first to go colour when they changed over for that. Surely it only needs a few HD cameras.

• Advertisement

Ah fair enough, I'm not too well up on this :)
    A fair enough.. when do you think the second mux may come online?

The FF Minister (Carey) did stipulate that RTÉ Two HD should run on Mux 2, but as discussed here, it seems to be a stupid decision when there is only one HD channel and only 4 other channels (@Watty I am counting RTÉjr, 3e, RTÉ News Now and RTÉ 1 +1 as one channel :) but only in terms of content) 6 in terms of transmission.
    News was one of the first to go colour when they changed over for that. Surely it only needs a few HD cameras.

Perhaps the new set is HD ready. I do not know. News HD select (Reports in HD???)

TG4 is taking up a lot of Mux bandwidth percentage, more than RTE2HD.
    Snapshot take at different time so a slight different in percentage between the two.
    From my observation over the past week when RTE2HD is in full HD. it use up between 6 to 8mbps
    When RTE2HD is not showing true HD, it is using between 3 to 6mbps

Souriau wrote: »
    TG4 is taking up a lot of Mux bandwidth percentage, more than RTE2HD.
    Snapshot take at different time so a slight different in percentage between the two.
    From my observation over the past week when RTE2HD is in full HD. it use up between 6 to 8mbps
    When RTE2HD is not showing true HD, it is using between 3 to 6mbps

Am I reading your graphs wrong and that 3e is taking up more than RTÉ 1 AND TV3????

Am I reading your graphs wrong and that 3e is taking up more than RTÉ 1 AND TV3????
    Its TG4

here are the PID list on Mux1

RTE1 0x044d
    RTE2 0x044e
    TV3 0x044f
    TG4 0x0450
    News 0x0451
    3e 0x0452
    RTEjr 0x0453
    RTE1+1 0x0454
    RTE R1 0x04ca
    RTE 2FM 0x04cb
    RTE Lyric 0x04cc
    RTE RNG 0x04cd
    RTE R1 Extra 0x04ce
    RTE Pluse 0x04cf
    RTE 2XM 0x04d0
    RTE Choice 0x04d1
    RTE Gold 0x04d2
    RTE Chil/Junior 0x04d3

Souriau wrote: »
    RTE1 0x044d
    TV3 0x044f
    3e 0x0452

RTE 1 11.2%
    TV3 6.7%
    3E 12.3%

RTE 1 11.2%
    TV3 6.7%
    3E 12.3%
    Sorry Elmo, I misunderstood your last question, I thought you mean the highest in the chart but you mean the three channels stated above.
    Yes 3e is higher than RTE1 and TV3 at that time I took the snapshot. Percentage of the Mux changes, it's not a fixed percentage value

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Regardless of the competition issues, Sky's submissions shouldn't have been taken into account since they don't even pay tax on their subs here, never mind the fact they aren't regulated here.

Who says that Sky had an influence on this?? (re. RTE PLUS)

Source??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whats happened to +1?

mike65 wrote: »
    Whats happened to +1?
    You mean RTE1+1 on channel 8?
    Part time channel, will be on from 19:00

Antenna wrote: »
    Who says that Sky had an influence on this?? (re. RTE PLUS)

Source??

Both TV3 and Sky made submissions to the BAI and the Dept. The BAI review was for the industry and looked at competition, while the Dept. was for all of the public. TV3 on hearing the that RTÉ had been given 3 new stations made an issue of the situation across most media, ironically because of the moratorium that TV3 are currently trying to get rid off the new channels made it to most news programmes the day before the General Election. TV3 has since written a letter of complaint to the new minister. Now Sky's submissions could have been just as critical but TV3's was very, very narrow minded.

BAI on RTÉ News Now
    The authority believes the general sectoral impact of the service will be low, but the direct impact on the UK-licensed Sky News service, in particular, may be more substantial.

The authority recognizes the potential for the 2nd phase of this service to have some adverse impact on newspapers. That is not a reason to preclude its development. Consideration might be given to setting some limits on the budget for the service and to the linking of RTÉ news stories to third party news providers as a means of lessening the impact.

The last part has more to do with RTÉ's online news service than that of RTÉ TV or Radio but the BAI have disguised their statement in such a manner so that it looks like they are not taking advice from the INN.

On RTÉ Plus
    A requirement that new content, Irish or acquired, have its first transmission on RTÉ 1 or 2, with later transmission, after a specified time lag on RTÉ Plus
    and
    A limit on the percentage of acquired content shown within peak hours on RTÉ Plus

Sky basically said run your little public consultation but be aware that any ministerial consent should really come from the Sectoral Impact Assessment. Transparency blah blah blah.

TV3 said
    RTÉ Plus .... to become a general entertainment channnel play out foreign imports to compete with TV3. This "nationalisation" of commercial content is a uniquely mad proposal and shows a complete disregard for the economic hardship of citizens .....RTÉ TWO HD a convenient proposal to monopolise all sports content (particularly when the Department is currently proposing that sports content such as rugby be only avialable to FTA channels). RTÉ NEWS NOW a channel which initially will rebroadcast RTÉ's news programmes. There is no value. RTÉjr and Aertel. Services which RTÉ already provide.

And then more myopic stuff.

If there is no value and RTÉ are already providing said content whats your issue that Channel 4 got to broadcast Lost (another Semi State body).

• Advertisement

TV3 on hearing the that RTÉ had been given 3 new stations made an issue of the situation across most media, ironically because of the moratorium that TV3 are currently trying to get rid off the new channels made it to most news programmes the day before the General Election.
    You know what? How about we get rid of TV3 then? No loss, I'd happily let UTV have a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Karsini wrote: »
    You know what? How about we get rid of TV3 then? No loss, I'd happily let UTV have a go.

TV3 practically is ITV/UTV anyway, I for one wouldn't miss it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

TV3 practically is ITV/UTV anyway, I for one wouldn't miss it!

Except that TV3 make some awful progammes of their own like that dreadful 'Apprentice Product Placement Fest', where a dozen blockheads with egos as big as the Titanic blunder about trying to make the Product under Placement more placed, while making fools of themselves (and us for watching), and then getting berated by an elderly champion of the car industry for not placing the product correctly. Or the Midlife programme where middleaged women try to talk about subjects they know nothing about, and members of the public are invited to make premium rate calls to join in the discussion, if discussion is the right word for it. Or those programmes modelled on the lesser cable channels that rely on nonentity taking heads talking about someone or something like they know little about, but are just empty opinionators talking unsubstantiated twaddle.

We could certainly do without them. UTV would be better by a long way.

Without the ITV content, there would be no TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,991 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Except that TV3 make some awful progammes of their own like that dreadful 'Apprentice Product Placement Fest', where a dozen blockheads with egos as big as the Titanic blunder about trying to make the Product under Placement more placed, while making fools of themselves (and us for watching), and then getting berated by an elderly champion of the car industry for not placing the product correctly. Or the Midlife programme where middleaged women try to talk about subjects they know nothing about, and members of the public are invited to make premium rate calls to join in the discussion, if discussion is the right word for it. Or those programmes modelled on the lesser cable channels that rely on nonentity taking heads talking about someone or something like they know little about, but are just empty opinionators talking unsubstantiated twaddle.

We could certainly do without them. UTV would be better by a long way.

Without the ITV content, there would be no TV3.

You for real?

Having watched UTV for countless years, its a shocking channel. Even mroe so now with programmes getting created just to stop Frank Mitchell being put on the dole. Do we really need another "Ulster Top 10"?

I'm patiently waiting for "Ulsters Top 10 places to go dogging" - it must be coming soon as they have done everything else.

RTE2HD running at 8mbps now, Is this because RTEjr is off-air and spare bandwidth to have?
    Or is "Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated" being transmitted in True HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

UTV only marking time till they close in 2012 or 2013. Hence all the investment in Radio and Internet. There licence really ends with Analogue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

watty wrote: »
    UTV only marking time till they close in 2012 or 2013. Hence all the investment in Radio and Internet. There licence really ends with Analogue.

I just emailed Al Jazeera English to be part of Saorview

If they join saorview, I predict bbc world news or bbc news would also join saorview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why would they join, is there space to join? On platform with very restricted capacity a minor news channel (as good as it is) will not get a spot.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm patiently waiting for "Ulsters Top 10 places to go dogging" - it must be coming soon as they have done everything else.

That sounds like a TV3 programme, which would end up with countless repeats on 3e. Perhaps a UTV/TV3 co-production.

BTW I think the posters here are saying they would rather a fuller ITV schedule from UTV rather then picking and choosing Soap and Talent Contests, UTV at least continue to get what ever drama, documentaries and other programming that ITV provide them, something that TV3 tend to ignore. IMO ITV has gone down hill over the last 10 years.

• Advertisement

IMO ITV has gone down hill over the last 10 years.

As has the BBC. And RTE. In fact nearly all TV is suffering from too much availability in everything except talent.

Advertisement