Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

Hibrasil wrote: »
    Tired of Poor analogue reception so I recently got a Walker Saorview STB... I get 6 TV channels in the following order:
    1. RTE1
    2. RTE2
    3. RTENL1
    4. TG4
    5. RTE News Now
    6. RTENL2
    When I change from one Channel to another channel...my TV displays the definition details:
    RTE1, RTENL1, TG4, and RTE News Now - 544 x 576
    RTE2 - 704 x 576
    RTENL2 - 1440 x 1088
    The info on RTENL2 is that broadcast is a HD Test transmission. The definition on 1440 x 1088 is way better than than of the other channels.....I assume 3 Rock is where I get signal from (I am living in West Dublin).....I have an external aerial in the back garden not very high (10 ft).....and signal from the aerial is combined with Satellite signal from the Sky dish (by means of a Terrestrial / Satellite Diplexer)...the Terrestrial signal is seperated from the satellite signal at / just before the two STB's....definition details may shed some light on the way DTT will operate on start up......by the way any suggestion on a replacement STB for my Sky box.....without departing from the current thread significantly (i.e DTT content).....if RTENL2 is what HD is about....I'd like FTA HD also.....thanks

is it wp10dtb i have the same with a usb connection in the front not been able to get it working as of yet

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Doc_46

Hi Folks,

I've a MVision HD300 Combo. Last night (30th Sep) all my Irish DTT's "disapeared".Anyone else experienced the same problem?
    I'm in Loughrea and receiving the signal from Cairn Hill.

did you try to retune it

I'll Check the mother in laws first. She has a built in MPEG4 tuner in the TV.
    Next step is the retune. The MVision is tempremental enough.

Hi James,

Yeah the retune did it. It looks like the frequencies were updated.
    I got the 5 channels in triplicate. The five old ones with no signal
    and two other batches of the five with separate degrees of Quality
    and Signal strength, the best of which was 75% and 89% respectively.
    This is the second time in perhaps 4 months its happened. It's not a problem.
    (I'm delighted with the pic.etc.)I was just wondering if any MVision owners had the same experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

ive noticed that rte tends to broadcast channels in triplicate on very similar frequencies...not too sure why...heres a pic uploaded of the sources ive for rte 2: all in the 665-667mhz range from mount leinster and signal quality is from 48% to 60%

there seems to be three sources for each channel on fairly similar frequencies

Q: with three sources for each channel - does that take up triple the bandwidth for each channel on the mux? That would be a waste of space would it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Your software is misleading you,

A DTT Mux is 8MHz wide.
    Mt Leinster is allocated 45 39 42 49
    The frequency for Ch 45 is nominally 666MHz DTT, i.e, 662MHz to 670MHz

250px-Dvbt_spectrum.jpg
    DTT Spectrum usage

(Analogue on 45 would be 663.25 Video 669.25 Audio and 669.75 Nicam)

400px-Pal_channel.svg.png
    PAL Analogue spectrum usage without Nicam carrier.

DTT uses a single serial data stream for ALL the channels. This then spit into about 1,705 or 6,817 separate slower data streams for carriers that are approximately 4 kHz or 1 kHz apart (2K or 8K FFT DTT)

665-667MHz is only part of one signal. You can't tune separate parts. There is just something a bit buggy about your scanning software.

watty wrote: »
    Your software is misleading you,

A DTT Mux is 8MHz wide.
    Mt Leinster is allocated 45 39 42 49
    The frequency for Ch 45 is nominally 666MHz DTT, i.e, 662MHz to 670MHz

250px-Dvbt_spectrum.jpg
    DTT Spectrum usage

(Analogue on 45 would be 663.25 Video 669.25 Audio and 669.75 Nicam)

400px-Pal_channel.svg.png
    PAL Analogue spectrum usage without Nicam carrier.

DTT uses a single serial data stream for ALL the channels. This then spit into about 1,705 or 6,817 separate slower data streams for carriers that are approximately 4 kHz or 1 kHz apart (2K or 8K FFT DTT)

665-667MHz is only part of one signal. You can't tune separate parts. There is just something a bit buggy about your scanning software.

cheers watty - im not too familiar with media centres tuning capibilities but it seems to work well...i was thinking that it was just one broadcast...couldnt imagine 3 sources so close in frequency plus the waste it would be....any ideas why its showing up as such? ive none and its working properly for me so far

could DDT be similar as shown in the analouge above?

audio on one frquency and vidoe on another and the mpheg aertel coming in on the third source?

Buggy software.

Buggy software.

Well as long as it works - ill just use DVB Dream to check frequencies for channels in future - cheers...so any other news in regards to content or channel speculation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,521 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Some questions this week in the Dáil from Leo Varadkar to the Minister in relation to what services will be available
    Broadcasting Services

1532. Deputy Leo Varadkar asked the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources if he will list all of the applications he has received from RTE for the provision of new services; when the application was received; the decision made in each case; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [33160/10]

Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources (Deputy Eamon Ryan): Section 103 of the Broadcasting Act 2009 provides for both RTÉ and TG4 to vary the number of channels it operates subject to the consent of the Minister. This section also sets out the procedure that the Minister must adopt in making a decision on whether to consent to any new or additional channels. These procedures provide for the Minister to, inter alia, consult with RTÉ and other interested parties, consider the sectoral impact of the new services, following an assessment by the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland, and to consider the public value of these channels.

In relation to the development of additional channels, RTÉ has recently clarified that it wishes to develop a number of new TV service channels for carriage on the public service Digital Terrestrial Television multiplex. In accordance with section 103, I have commenced the required consultations with RTÉ and the Authority on the proposals and it is my intention to complete my consideration of this issue as soon as possible.
    Broadcasting Services

1560. Deputy Leo Varadkar asked the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources the progress made in establishing an Irish film channel. [33119/10]

1561. Deputy Leo Varadkar asked the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources if it is still intended to establish an Oireachtas television channel. [33120/10]

Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources (Deputy Eamon Ryan): I propose to take Questions Nos. 1560 and 1561 together.

The Broadcasting Act 2009 provides for the development of an Oireachtas Channel and an Irish Film Channel, including a right of carriage on the RTÉ digital terrestrial television multiplex in respect of these channels. In accordance with section 125 of the Act, the Commission of the Houses of the Oireachtas may establish a public service channel to be made available throughout the island of Ireland providing coverage of:

- proceedings of both Houses of the Oireachtas;

- proceedings of a local authority;

- institutions under the British-Irish Agreement;

- other legislatures; and

- UN, EU and Council of Europe institutions.

The 2009 Act provides that the cost of such a channel would be met from the budget of the Commission of the Houses of the Oireachtas and that no advertising is permitted on the channel. In relation to the Film Channel, section 127 of the Act provides that the Irish Film Board may establish a public service channel to be made available throughout the island of Ireland providing coverage of Irish, European and World films including those in the Irish language. The Act provides that the cost of such a channel would be met from the budget of the Irish Film Board. The Act also provides that the Irish Film Channel can broadcast advertisements.

My Department will continue working with the Irish Film Board, the Department of Tourism, Culture and Sport and with the Houses of the Oireachtas to see how the film and Oireachtas channels can be delivered.

Translation:
    You will get what RTE said before, but the Oireachtas Channel and Film Channel depend on Government and Irish Film Board Budgets.

Which won't be in this years budgets :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Rte showing a tour of Dublin video on NL HD test instead of test card now, with music.

(from mt. leinster)

Edit: also showing a video called: 4 seasons in a day, basically showing irish countryside . ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

and we're back to the test card . ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

@thetonynator

There are several threads about the HD test already

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

RTE News Now, RTE Gold and RTE Chill are now showing No Program information is available. We might see some new activity before the soft launch at the end of the month.

Then again you might not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

folks, any idea will the "soft" launch be just the channels already on air or will TV3 be added by that date? thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Widescreen wrote: »
    folks, any idea will the "soft" launch be just the channels already on air or will TV3 be added by that date? thanks

no one knows until a press release from rte
    it may appear on november 1st 2010

Only TV3 knows what TV3 is doing. I'd not hold my breath. They will be on it before 31st October 2011. 31st October 2012 Probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,521 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Only TV3 knows what TV3 is doing. I'd not hold my breath. They will be on it before 31st October 2011. Probably.

or Oct 2012.

There nothing new on that link that hasn't been on this forum and techtir since the week of the Oireachtas Communications Committee presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

I still find it odd that the RTENL website is still saying that no launch date has been set for RTE DTT. I thought they would at least have changed it by now and put in the soft launch date. Maybe this will change on October 31st.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Oct 31st. Some say it's a "technichal-test period launch", others a "soft launch" & others view 31/10/2010 as a full launch of "Saorview" DTT. I would go for either of the first two. I would have thought that RTÉ would have some sort of public info campaign running by now if we were to have a "go no go" full launch on the 31st.

The Minister decided that Full Public Launch would be at December 2011 at latest, it seems to be defined as point that 49 sites - 97.2% population coverage. RTE say this can be by Q2 2011. No actual date has yet been published for Full launch.
    See http://www.techtir.ie/tv-radio/Irish-DTT-Sites
    and http://www.techtir.ie/saortv/saorview (Time scale speculation)

The coverage by 31st October 2010 supposed to be 94.5% population coverage

Also there is the question of HD playout. It may not be ready by 31st October 2010.
    Full time HD isn't possible till all sites have the 2nd Multiplex. Originally PSB was not to get the 2nd Multiplex till after Analogue close down, 2013. But with failure of PayDTT, the BAI and Minister has agreed that RTE NL have 2nd PSB mux now. We don't have a time scale.

Also Saorsat (fill in for 2% to 7% and back up feed) is to use a Satellite not yet launched. That service could be on Test by March if all goes OK. (It takes a few weeks to reach final position after launch, which is maybe early December, then a few weeks of system tests before a broadcaster gets access. Then broadcaster has to test out uplink gear. Is there a new 2.5m to 5m uplink dish at Donnybrook yet? So not possible really to have service on KaSat much earlier than end of Feb/Early March )

So some time April to August for full PSB service with two Mux and Satellite Fill-in and HD full time on maybe two channels (most programs upscalled) would be more realistically called a Full Public Launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

The Minister decided that Full Public Launch would be at December 2011 at latest, it seems to be defined as point that 49 sites - 97.2% population coverage. RTE say this can be by Q2 2011. No actual date has yet been published for Full launch.
    See http://www.techtir.ie/tv-radio/Irish-DTT-Sites
    and http://www.techtir.ie/saortv/saorview (Time scale speculation)

The coverage by 31st October 2010 supposed to be 94.5% population coverage

Also there is the question of HD playout. It may not be ready by 31st October 2010.
    Full time HD isn't possible till all sites have the 2nd Multiplex. Originally PSB was not to get the 2nd Multiplex till after Analogue close down, 2013. But with failure of PayDTT, the BAI and Minister has agreed that RTE NL have 2nd PSB mux now. We don't have a time scale.

Also Saorsat (fill in for 2% to 7% and back up feed) is to use a Satellite not yet launched. That service could be on Test by March if all goes OK. (It takes a few weeks to reach final position after launch, which is maybe early December, then a few weeks of system tests before a broadcaster gets access. Then broadcaster has to test out uplink gear. Is there a new 2.5m to 5m uplink dish at Donnybrook yet? So not possible really to have service on KaSat much earlier than end of Feb/Early March )

So some time April to August for full PSB service with two Mux and Satellite Fill-in and HD full time on maybe two channels (most programs upscalled) would be more realistically called a Full Public Launch.

Watty, call it ! In your vast knowledge and experience of everything broadcasting wise, what if anything, will we see different, in 20 days time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stwome01

Over on one of the forums on the Saor TV website they are saying that changes and additions will be made to RTE DTT on the 13th October. It doesn't say what changes or additions will be made. It will be interesting to see if TV3 will make an appearance.

I haven't checked my tv today but I presume that there has been no change? :(

stwome01 wrote: »
    just checked tv no change to lay out or stations if that is what you mean

• Advertisement

stwome01 wrote: »

just checked tv no change to layout or listings!

Advertisement