Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

watty wrote: »
    20%+ of analogue viewers don't get TV3. TV3's decision.

That says it all...thanks watty LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

The RTE NL HD channel is now video testing with a promo video showing Dublin City and with an RTE NL Logo on the bottom left hand side of the screen. Great to see some activity on the HD channel. :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,516 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The RTE NL HD channel is now video testing with a promo video showing Dublin City and with an RTE NL Logo on the bottom left hand side of the screen. Great to see some activity on the HD channel. :):):)

Could be a coincidence but we did discuss a possible Sirius SD/HD router upgrade last week.

From which transmitter are you receiving DTT?

Mullaghanish and Woodcock Hill still displaying the testcard without audio (except the click of the colliding black bars).

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

Still test card screen from clermont cairn...

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

yes i agree with you ,things should start to roll next month well a little roll:rolleyes: may get to see flashforward in hd next year

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yup, have it here, coming from Truskmore!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The Cush wrote: »
    Could be a coincidence but we did discuss a possible Sirius SD/HD router upgrade last week.

Mullaghanish and Woodcock Hill still displaying the testcard without audio (except the click of the colliding black bars).

I received the tail end of it from Mullaghanish and it was a TG4 production. The swans near the end were nice. It stopped roughly about 11.40ish before reverting to the test card but is back on again now.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ah, in that case, all Tx sites must be running the same feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

Receiving the promo video here from Woodcock Hill. Was the same material used on the Ireland HD channel during the trial a while back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

video coming in from clermont cairn now ... hopefully more changes will come on stream now !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

:) At last, some new activity ! HD channel looking good from Mullaghanish and Mitchelstown transmitters. Anyone know what bit rate is being used ? It definitely looks a good improvement from SD DTT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

galtee boy wrote: »
    :) At last, some new activity ! HD channel looking good from Mullaghanish and Mitchelstown transmitters. Anyone know what bit rate is being used ? It definitely looks a good improvement from SD DTT.

The galway video was definitely a bit sharper than the dublin one.

The Cush wrote: »

I am receiving RTE DTT from the Maghera transmitter.

ive seen nothing from mount leinster on rteNL2 - black and no sound at all - as for rteNL1 its jsut a test card with some audio :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

ive seen nothing from mount leinster on rteNL2 - black and no sound at all - as for rteNL1 its jsut a test card with some audio :(

What is your receiver ? , I've been getting it from Mount Leinster .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I bet a picnic :(

[edit] Sorry

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    What is your receiver ? , I've been getting it from Mount Leinster .

Ive a 4 year old Gaming PC hooked up to my HD telly that i custom built with a sat tuner (DVB-S/S2 and a Nova T usb DVB-T tuner)

Nova T DVB-T USB tuner using windows media centre to be exact - it is mpeg 4 compliant as well so it should be showing HD format since its not DVB - T2 HD format...am i missig a codec or? None (i actually just got it working now - apologies XD) - I seee a horse XD :D its on and working now - must have missed it completely earlier :P

Its not bad HD actually compares quite well with the HD sat channels I have from 19.2e using DVB - S2 - different but still using mpeg 4 as well

Ive a 4 year old Gaming PC hooked up to my HD telly that i custom built with a sat tuner (DVB-S/S2 and a Nova T usb DVB-T tuner)

Nova T DVB-T USB tuner using windows media centre to be exact - it is mpeg 4 compliant as well so it should be showing HD format since its not DVB - T2 HD format...am i missig a codec or? None (i actually just got it working now - apologies XD) - I seee a horse XD :D its on and working now - must have missed it completely earlier :P

Its not bad HD actually compares quite well with the HD sat channels I have from 19.2e using DVB - S2 - different but still using mpeg 4 as well
    einsfestival hd, das erste hd, zdf hd

lgs 4 wrote: »
    einsfestival hd, das erste hd, zdf hd

yep those be it - arte HD is also available - cant seem to get vox HD tho (think they have encypted it)

yep those be it - arte HD is also available - cant seem to get vox HD tho (think they have encypted it)
    yes vox and rtl are encrypted but you can get then with a cam and HD + card for 80 euros if you speak german ;)

• Advertisement

lgs 4 wrote: »
    yes vox and rtl are encrypted but you can get then with a cam and HD + card for 80 euros if you speak german ;)

Bit unusual tho considering Vox SD is not encrypted :P Plus my sat pci card has no cam :(

Bit unusual tho considering Vox SD is not encrypted :P Plus my sat pci card has no cam :(
    well you could go shopping on the HD + web site the card will be good for a few years the shop has boxs,cams and the card all you need is to be able to read germany :rolleyes:

PC you can add serial or USB port interfaced dumb ISO card reader and the CAM in software (not all CAM available as Soft Cam). As long as you only using legitmate card for the services you paid for, that is quite legal.

Some PC Phone SIM readers will work if you cut the card to size, assuming the Soft CAM can be configured to "see" the SIM reader.

Certainly you can access phone SIM by taping it into original credit card size carrier and using a dumb ISO card reader.

However the German HD+ "sort of FTV" system is off topic here.

Programme information on the RTE HD test now says RTENL HD Test Transmission. It used to be RTENL Test Transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Peddyr

Programme information on the RTE HD test now says RTENL HD Test Transmission. It used to be RTENL Test Transmission.

Using a Tesco's own brand Technika STBHDIS201 to view Irish DTT. Channels displayed ok but HD channel info says SD. Probably because it's not T2 transmission.

This box displays picture ok and the HD channel looks great but box is cheap tat in that you can't do manual scan for one thing... :o

Cheap and not very cheerful!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Have't seen it mentioned anywhere but do RTÉ intend to launch a version of RTÉ player like YourView (combo of BBC iplayer/ITV player/4oD & five player) on freeview,via a streaming broadband connection into the Saorview boxes. Don't think anyone has mentioned seeing it the set-top specs. Maybe some may know a lot more than I do on YourVew how it's delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Apogee

Not so far. UPC have claimed that they are interested in implementing RTÉ Player on their STBs. The Saorview spec includes MHEG 5 so it could be implemented at a future point. BBC iPlayer runs on the Freesat boxes using MHEG 5 as well.

Most people don't have real Broadband, or indeed the Cap for streaming video.

RTE are researching. If you want this on TV make sure any TV or Setbox is:
    1) Saorview certified: Thus will get Over the Air Firmware updates
    2) Has ethernet.

There is a RTE player for PCs. Even it is putting a strain on RTE budget and on Irish ISPs.

A dual tuner 2.5T+ HDD PVR makes more sense. Record EVERYTHING (in real HD on HD channels) on 7 day rolling basis and save/watch what you want. Any broadband service would have to be inferior quality, or would have to "buffer" for 5mins to 45min if at decent quality.

Currently only UPC could guarantee delivery of such a service. Mobile Internet and over 60% of DSL won't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Tired of Poor analogue reception so I recently got a Walker Saorview STB... I get 6 TV channels in the following order:
    1. RTE1
    2. RTE2
    3. RTENL1
    4. TG4
    5. RTE News Now
    6. RTENL2
    When I change from one Channel to another channel...my TV displays the definition details:
    RTE1, RTENL1, TG4, and RTE News Now - 544 x 576
    RTE2 - 704 x 576
    RTENL2 - 1440 x 1088
    The info on RTENL2 is that broadcast is a HD Test transmission. The definition on 1440 x 1088 is way better than than of the other channels.....I assume 3 Rock is where I get signal from (I am living in West Dublin).....I have an external aerial in the back garden not very high (10 ft).....and signal from the aerial is combined with Satellite signal from the Sky dish (by means of a Terrestrial / Satellite Diplexer)...the Terrestrial signal is seperated from the satellite signal at / just before the two STB's....definition details may shed some light on the way DTT will operate on start up......by the way any suggestion on a replacement STB for my Sky box.....without departing from the current thread significantly (i.e DTT content).....if RTENL2 is what HD is about....I'd like FTA HD also.....thanks

• Advertisement

There should be 5 HD channels on your box by 2013, possibly.

Get a Freesat HD box and solid dish for FTA UK TV inc HD.

Advertisement