Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Possible first Box and maybe the Saorview logo spotted by Byte?
    http://www.techtir.ie/blog/watty/possible-saorview-logo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

watty wrote: »
    Possible first Box and maybe the Saorview logo spotted by Byte?
    http://www.techtir.ie/node/1003521

Tv's from Turkey then...will people buy a tv from an unknown brand just because it has the Saorview logo?

i actually like the Saorview logo....

Well, the set-box might not be Vestel from Turkey, Walker could be importing from anywhere and the logo may not be official. It's remiss of RTENL not to publish (yet) on their web site what the logo is supposed to look like.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Well, the set-box might not be Vestel from Turkey, Walker could be importing from anywhere and the logo may not be official. It's remiss of RTENL not to publish (yet) on their web site what the logo is supposed to look like.

Very True. you'd have to think thought they didn't pull the logo out of thin air, but as you say it's not official, and given what has heppened all along is quite possible they could change the whole thing anyway. They'll have to settle on something soon though..(one would think)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

That does not look exactly like the logo I saw earlier in the year, it has bits added in front that are reminiscent of RTE's logo, and the TV bit was not there. It could have evolved because they have designers in RTE.

It is very fussy for a logo.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭micks_address

hi guys,

is the DTT service defintely officially starting in October this year? Has it been confirmed that tv3 will be on it from the beginning? Any hope tv3 will come on before october to do some more testing? Not long to go now.. only 8/9 weeks

Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

hi guys,

is the DTT service defintely officially starting in October this year? Has it been confirmed that tv3 will be on it from the beginning? Any hope tv3 will come on before october to do some more testing? Not long to go now.. only 8/9 weeks

Cheers,
    Mick

The Oct date is being referred to as the technical launch (information campaign, training, equipment testing etc.). Basically ensuring that everything is in place for the full national launch.

The 2009 Broadcasting Act requires RTÉ to provide a full national digital service by the end of 2011 or such date the Minister may specify. The Minister has informed RTÉ that the date for the provision of a full national digital terrestrial television service is 31 December 2011. RTÉ recently said they recommend Q2 2011 as the date for the public national launch with 49 of the 51 sites rolled out to over 97% of the population and the Saorsat service possibly operational.

Nothing official regarding TV3 only speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

mossym wrote: »
    Tv's from Turkey then...will people buy a tv from an unknown brand just because it has the Saorview logo?

i actually like the Saorview logo....
    Totally agree with that.
    The picture and sound quality of Freeview boxes in the UK varies considerably depending on the price.

It seems the Walker set-box may be made by Vestel. But there is a curious tale!

This seems irrelevant current news: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11093271
    Fugitive tycoon Asil Nadir returns to the UK from northern Cyprus after evading trial on fraud charges since 1993.

or is it?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polly_Peck#Collapse
    In 1991, Polly Peck Group transferred all of its Vestel Electronics shares to one of its subsidiaries, Collar Holding BV, which was based in the Netherlands. In the same year, following the collapse of the Polly Peck Group, PPI was placed in administration. In November 1994, Ahmet Nazif Zorlu acquired PPI[and thus Vestel?] from the administrator by buying the entire share capital of Collar Holding BV, which at the time held 82% of the Polly Peck's issued share capital.

Fascinating stuff
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/blog/2010/aug/26/asil-nadir-returns-to-uk
    Michael Mates's famous words of advice to the businessman: "Don't let the buggers get you down." Mates's support for Nadir led to his resignation as a Northern Ireland minister (although he denied any impropriety on his part).

According to one report, Mates thought Nadir was the victim of an MI6 plot[!]. This morning the Today programme played an extract from Mates's resignation statement. It was gripping stuff, because Betty Boothroyd, the Speaker, tried to get him to shut up, because she was worried that he would say something that would breach the Commons's sub judice rules.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭d.a.r.r.a.g.h

That is a laughable idea.

I wouldn't say no to another channel, but It needs to be a national channel, not localised sh1t for 1/26th of the Country. Not enough happens in Kerry, for a channel to be dedicated to it. It will just end up with reruns of old westerns and the like, and nobody will watch it, and it will close down. FACT

She is off her trolley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Can anyone explain what will actually happen on Oct 31st???

On a standard digital tv with bunny ears arial, will i be able to receive new stations? I can get the RTENL tests at the moment.

Do i need to get a box for the new stations???

If you receive the RTENL test you don't need to do anything.

If you receive the RTENL test you don't need to do anything.

Thanks.

Hope we can get TV3 in digital!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

That is a laughable idea.

I wouldn't say no to another channel, but It needs to be a national channel, not localised sh1t for 1/26th of the Country. Not enough happens in Kerry, for a channel to be dedicated to it. It will just end up with reruns of old westerns and the like, and nobody will watch it, and it will close down. FACT

She is off her trolley

I wouldn't agree so much, Local Radio in Kerry is very popular what I think they should aim for is a Munster station, this would give plenty of topics and give a good balance to the D4 oriented crap spouted by Montrose.

Can anyone explain what will actually happen on Oct 31st???

On a standard digital tv with bunny ears arial, will i be able to receive new stations? I can get the RTENL tests at the moment.

Do i need to get a box for the new stations???
    Thanks.

By the end of Oct the current pre-launch engineering test transmissions (around since the beginning of Aug '08) becomes the soft/technical launch or the public testing phase of the DTT network probably includes consumer and trade awareness, Saorview brand and equipment awareness in preparation for the full national launch next year.

There should be no change to the services you currently receive from the test transmissions unless of course TV3/3e decide to launch although this looks unlikely now following what was posted here recently after a Today FM discussion last Friday, looking like 2012 at the moment.

New services announced in Jul by RTÉ may launch between Oct and the full national launch next year.

With the new RTÉ Director of Digital Switchover, Mary Curtis, taking up her position this Sept at least we will have a single official point of information for DTT in Ireland before launch which the print and broadcast media (and public) will be able to access so that we won't have listen to those so-called expert journalists cluttering the airwaves with inaccurate information to a less than knowledgeable public.
    Minister Eamon Ryan: We are progressing. We are starting the DTT service in October 2010, which is a crucial time. It will take time to test it and get it right before it is fully launched in a public way, that is, where we are pushing and selling it to the public.
    Mr. Conor Hayes (RTÉ): October 2010 is the switch-on from a technical basis. The date for the public national launch must be decided by the Minister but we recommend the second quarter of next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Thanks.

Apologies....if this is not the right place to ask.....but I have a Sony Bravia....with a Conax DVB NP4.....I was (and i say was) able to receive perfect digital test transmissions from 3Rock.....for some time all I can receive is Sound and no picture......on sixteen tv and radio channels...is there a problem with the transmissions until start up.....or have I a problem with reception.....comments appreciated.... :confused: thanks

Your "Conax DVB NP4" is going to be less use than a Chocolate Teapot as you can't eat it.

It can't do HD. The main stations will slowly migrate to HD (RTE2 first part time) with no SD simulcast. The Neotion missing loads of Saorview features. They can't be added.

It also runs too hot and is visually poorer picture than a proper MPEG4 receiver.

It seems from your post that a CAM setting is wrong or the NP4 has overheated and failed as you are not getting MPEG4 decoding.

You need a Set-box anyway for that TV. Wait till Saorview certified ones are in the shops. Though the soft launch is 31st October 2010, the full Public launch is not untill between Q2 2011 and December 2011. There is plenty of time.
    Watch http://www.techtir.ie/isaa/saorview/setbox
    and http://www.techtir.ie/saortv for updates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Your "Conax DVB NP4" is going to be less use than a Chocolate Teapot as you can't eat it.

It can't do HD. The main stations will slowly migrate to HD (RTE2 first part time) with no SD simulcast. The Neotion missing loads of Saorview features. They can't be added.

It also runs too hot and is visually poorer picture than a proper MPEG4 receiver.

It seems from your post that a CAM setting is wrong or the NP4 has overheated and failed as you are not getting MPEG4 decoding.

You need a Set-box anyway for that TV. Wait till Saorview certified ones are in the shops. Though the soft launch is 31st October 2010, the full Public launch is not untill between Q2 2011 and December 2011. There is plenty of time.
    Watch http://www.techtir.ie/isaa/saorview/setbox
    and http://www.techtir.ie/saortv for updates.

I got the humax freeviewHD+ in manchester last weekend, it picks the dtt tests from 3 rock

Watty, does that mean it will work around October when irish dtt begins, thank for your required help

its like the humax freesat+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Apogee

Hibrasil wrote: »
    Apologies....if this is not the right place to ask.....but I have a Sony Bravia....with a Conax DVB NP4.....I was (and i say was) able to receive perfect digital test transmissions from 3Rock.....for some time all I can receive is Sound and no picture......on sixteen tv and radio channels...is there a problem with the transmissions until start up.....or have I a problem with reception.....comments appreciated.... :confused: thanks

When did you lose picture? About the only thing you can try is to delete the channels and rescan or else try reseating the CAM in the TV.

ftakeith wrote: »
    I got the humax freeviewHD+ in manchester last weekend
    We don't know how well it will work for Saorview, long term. Unlike Neotion CAM, it should "mostly" work. Unknowns are Stereo rather than Multichannel AAC on SD and MHEG5 middleware compatibility. Also all "proper" Certified Saorview Receivers (TV or Setbox) will be able to get OTA Firmware upgrades automatically. It's likely that unless Humax get that exact model Saorview certified (which isn't unlikely or impossible) you need to do firmware updates manually or via a UK DTT reception.

If EVERY feature in UK HD Freeview that is optional is implemented (D-book) then it might be 100% OK on Saorview.

Minimum RTE / Saorview Spec (basically Nordig2.0 + MHEG5 + clarifications)
    http://rtenl.ie/downloads/RTE-FTA-DTT-Receiver-Spec.pdf
    Teracom Nordig 2.0 and UK Freeview HD comparison http://www.teracom.se/Documents/Produkter/Irdtesting/Teracom%20DTT%20receiver%20FAQ%202010-06%20008.pdf
    Summary: http://www.techtir.ie/isaa/saorview/setbox (will be updated)

We don't know how well it will work for Saorview, long term. Unlike Neotion CAM, it should "mostly" work. Unknowns are Stereo rather than Multichannel AAC on SD and MHEG5 middleware compatibility. Also all "proper" Certified Saorview Receivers (TV or Setbox) will be able to get OTA Firmware upgrades automatically. It's likely that unless Humax get that exact model Saorview certified (which isn't unlikely or impossible) you need to do firmware updates manually or via a UK DTT reception.

If EVERY feature in UK HD Freeview that is optional is implemented (D-book) then it might be 100% OK on Saorview.

Minimum RTE / Saorview Spec (basically Nordig2.0 + MHEG5 + clarifications)
    http://rtenl.ie/downloads/RTE-FTA-DTT-Receiver-Spec.pdf
    Teracom Nordig 2.0 and UK Freeview HD comparison http://www.teracom.se/Documents/Produkter/Irdtesting/Teracom%20DTT%20receiver%20FAQ%202010-06%20008.pdf
    Summary: http://www.techtir.ie/isaa/saorview/setbox (will be updated)

aertel digital on humax freeviewhd+ works like the bbc red button on the humax freesat+

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭BowWow

ftakeith wrote: »
    I got the humax freeviewHD+ in manchester last weekend, it picks the dtt tests from 3 rock

ftakeith

Would appreciate hearing how you get on with this box, particularly after the "soft" launch at end Oct.
    Is it currently showing Irish EPG and if so can you record from the EPG?

What are you using as an aerial? Indoor or Outdoor?

I think the box is the same width/height as the Foxsat HDR?

If it works ok - it might be my Christmas present to myself:D

BowWow wrote: »
    ftakeith

Would appreciate hearing how you get on with this box, particularly after the "soft" launch at end Oct.
    Is it currently showing Irish EPG and if so can you record from the EPG?

What are you using as an aerial? Indoor or Outdoor?

I think the box is the same width/height as the Foxsat HDR?

If it works ok - it might be my Christmas present to myself:D

I recorded the film 'hard candy' on rte2 last sunday and it came out very well, the sangecom freeview hd+ is inferior in my view

Its connected to an outdoor tv aerial in Crumlin, dublin 12 through 3 rock

regarding the saorview epg, Also on aertel digital's tv listings, rte1 is Saorview Channel 1, rte2 is saorview channel 2, tg4 is saorview channel 4
    tv3 not listed yet
    Saorview should be set asap

Noticed today that when you use Aertel in Digital to look up tv listings, it lists RTE 1 as being on

Saorview TV:1
    UPC:101
    Sky:101

and so on for the other channels . . .

Noticed today that when you use Aertel in Digital to look up tv listings, it lists RTE 1 as being on

Saorview TV:1
    UPC:101
    Sky:101

and so on for the other channels . . .

Previously posted here when Digital Aertel returned last month and here when we were discussing the possible new Saorview TV logo.
    The Cush wrote: »
    Even RTÉ get confused.

If you go to revamped DTT Aertel page 888 you see the headline "Subtitles on Soar View DTT"
    I noticed earlier today that they have finally corrected the spelling of Saorview on page 888, now displays as "Subtitles on SaorView TV" .

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

Anybody know if they will be going ahead with launching UK channels on Irish Dtt or not ?

Satts wrote: »
    Anybody know if they will be going ahead with launching UK channels on Irish Dtt or not ?

No.

This from the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Communications discussion on DTT in July
    Deputy Noel J. Coonan: People are under the impression that they will be able to receive every channel because there are two multiplexes. What channels will be available under the proposals outlined by Mr. Hayes? Will these be the eight or nine channels listed here? Will the UK channels be available?

Mr. Conor Hayes: The UK channels are available under an approach called Freesat, which is broadcast by a company owned by the BBC and ITV. They broadcast these channels in the clear over Ireland using a wide-band satellite operating in the KU band. RTE’s satellite option is a narrow-band satellite operating in the Ka band. One cannot get them on the same satellite. In the US, there are hybrid dishes available and householders can receive Ka band and Ku band signals. That is technically feasible and there are some 22 million households in the US using it. The cost of the dish is approximately $65.

Deputy Noel J. Coonan: Deputy D’Arcy will have to go to Italy and I will have to go to the US.

Mr. Conor Hayes: We are doing our best to identify solutions.

Deputy Noel J. Coonan: Will people have to get a box for Sky and a box for the UK channels? These are not readily available. People are under the impression they can do this once they switch over.

Mr. Conor Hayes: If people want to stay with Sky and keep paying money, one does not need anything else. The alternative we are providing does not involve pay-TV.

Chairman: The Deputy’s question is whether one can get BBC and ITV.

Mr. Conor Hayes: If one has a satellite.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx?F=MAJ20100714.XML&Ex=All&Page=3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭scath

Satts wrote: »

Likely not going ahead with launching UK channels on Irish DTT as BBC likely to be seeking royalties. Initial MOU between UK & Irish Government press release did say FTA BBC on Irish DTT and vice versa but was changed to paid for BBC TV on Irish DTT after a few days. Was debate here about that. So answer is no, not likely before 2013 when commercial DTT is then being revisited in 2012

Advertisement