Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish FTA DTT logo - "Saorview"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭BoredNaMoaner

>It is combo DTT/Satellite FTA. Its not freesat. In a nutshell this means an integrated EPG with 7 day guide for DTT and now and next for satellite.

I see.
    Satellite FTA is probably too fiddly for most people.
    So the best to hope for is a Saorview STB sitting on top of your Freesat box and a whole lot of SCART connections to your TV. Flicking from one EPG to another on Ext 1/2 all night long. Lovely. I hope these Saorview STBs will be cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,522 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Teracom has announced on their website that they have signed an agreement with RTÉ for the testing of DTT receivers.

They are published on the Terecom website in Swedish and translated using Google.
    News & Notes | 2010-03-03

Teracom test receivers for digital terrestrial television in Ireland

Media operator Teracom has signed an exclusive agreement with the Irish public service operator RTÉ (Raidió Éireann Teilifís). The agreement covers testing of TV receivers intended to receive the free TV channels in the Irish digital terrestrial network, "Saorview".

- We are pleased to be able to use the skills we have built up around the testing of receivers for the Nordic DTT networks in new markets, "says Håkan Axen, product manager for television at Teracom.

Teracom offers a number of years manufacturers to test their receivers so that they are tailored to the requirements and technical specifications applicable in each market. Tests conducted today on products tailored for the Nordic digital terrestrial networks, in which Teracom has the mission to be the test center for the pay-TV operator Boxer (Sweden, Denmark and Finland) and RiksTV (Norway). The service provides security for both producers viewers. By a receiver has been through Teracom's test, it is ensured that each target sound, image and program information is functioning properly.

http://www.teracom.se/?page=5425
    Announcement | 2010-03-03

Teracom test receivers for digital terrestrial television in Ireland

Media operator Teracom has signed an exclusive agreement with the Irish public service operator RTÉ (Raidió Éireann Teilifís). The agreement covers testing of TV receivers intended to receive the free TV channels in the Irish digital terrestrial network, "Saorview".

- We are pleased to be able to use the skills we have built up around the testing of receivers for the Nordic DTT networks in new markets, "says Håkan Axen, product manager for television at Teracom.

Teracom offers a number of years manufacturers to test their receivers so that they are tailored to the requirements and technical specifications applicable in each market. Tests conducted today on products tailored for the Nordic digital terrestrial networks, in which Teracom has the mission to be the test center for the pay-TV operator Boxer (Sweden, Denmark and Finland) and RiksTV (Norway). The service provides security for both producers viewers. By a receiver has been through Teracom's test, it is ensured that each target sound, image and program information is functioning properly.

Teracom is now expanding the geographical area of their IRD Testing through the new agreement with the Irish RTE. The basis of tests of the Irish receivers is the same as for the recipients in the Nordic countries, the so-called "around the NorDig Unified specification". In addition to North specification, the Irish receivers also support MHEG-5, which is a technical platform for interactive television. The recipients who will be tested is intended to receive the free TV channels in the Irish terrestrial network. Beneficiaries who go through the tests and will be approved given the right to wear the label "Saorview".

- RTÉ are pleased with the choice of Teracom as independent agencies for the testing of receivers for the Irish market. When viewers in Ireland buy a receiver that has been marked by "Saorview" they can feel confident that it fully corresponds to the Irish DTT specifications, "said Dermot Horan, Director of Broadcast and Acquisitions at RTÉ Television.

Tests conducted in the test environment that Teracom has built up at the headquarters outside Stockholm. Over the past ten years, Teracom tested more than 700 recipients from more than 40 different manufacturers.

- Many European countries are now facing a transition to exclusively digital broadcasting, or the establishment of a digital network, which creates opportunities for the demand of these services will grow in the future. The advantage of mottagartillverkarna is that they can now test the receiver for several markets simultaneously with us, which gives good synergy and shorter lead times, "says Håkan Axen.

For more information contact:
    Hakan Axen, Product Manager TV, Teracom, 070-438 99 85
    Lotta Darlin, press officer Teracom, 0708-91 21 07

RTÉ
    RTÉ has the responsibility for distribution of television in Ireland and is building the necessary infrastructure to provide digital television services before analogue switch-off. RTÉ will operate a network (multiplex) for public service broadcasting with a number of free TV channels, including its own channels. To ensure the availability of receivers that can handle the new technology agreement with Teracom is an important part of the transition to digital television.

http://www.teracom.se/?page=5422

EDIT: English language version of the press release now up
    Press release | 2010-03-03

Teracom is testing a receiver for terrestrial digital TV in Ireland.

The media operator, Teracom, has signed an exclusive agreement with the Irish public service broadcaster, RTÉ. The agreement comprises testing of TV receivers designed for reception of the free TV channels in the Irish digital terrestrial network, Saorview.

“We are pleased to be able to use the competence that we have accumulated in receiver testing for the Nordic digital terrestrial network in new markets,” says Håkan Axén, product manager for TV at Teracom.

For several years now, Teracom has been offering manufacturers the service of testing receivers in order to ensure that they meet the requirements and technical specifications that apply in each market. At present, tests are conducted on products that have been adapted to the Nordic digital terrestrial network, where Teracom is responsible for the test center for the following pay-TV operators: Boxer (Sweden, Denmark and Finland) and RiksTV (Norway). The service provides a sense of security for both manufacturers and TV viewers. When Teracom tests a receiver, it makes sure that such things as the audio, video and program information function correctly.

With this new agreement with Ireland’s RTÉ, Teracom is now expanding the geographic area for its receiver testing services. The testing specification for the Irish receivers is the same as that which is used for receivers in the Nordic countries, i.e. NorDig Unified Specification. In addition to the NorDig specification, the Irish receivers must also be able to support MHEG-5, which is a technical platform for interactive TV. The receivers that will be tested are designed for being able to receive the free TV channels in the Irish terrestrial network. The receivers that are tested and approved will then be entitled to carry the label, Saorview.

"RTÉ is pleased to have appointed Teracom as an independent body to test receivers for the Irish market. Viewers in Ireland can feel confident when purchasing a receiver with the "Saorview" mark that it fully meets the Irish DTT specification", says Dermot Horan, RTÉ Television's Director of Broadcast and Acquisition.

The tests will be conducted in the testing environment that Teracom has established at its head office near Stockholm. During the past 10 years, Teracom has tested more than 700 receivers from more than 40 different manufacturers.

“Many European countries will soon make the transition to having only digital receivers, or establishing a digital network, which creates opportunities since the demand for these types of services will increase going forward. The advantage for receiver manufacturers is that they can now use our services to test receivers designed for several markets, which creates excellent synergies and shorter lead times,” says Håkan Axén.

For more information, please contact:
    Håkan Axén, product manager for TV at Teracom, +46 (0) 70-438 99 85
    Lotta Darlin, press officer at Teracom, +46 (0) 708 -91 21 07

RTÉNL
    RTÉNL, the national broadcast transmission operator in Ireland, is building the infrastructure to deliver DTT in Ireland in advance of analogue switch-off. RTÉ is tasked with supplying a public service multiplex which will carry a number of free-to-air services including RTÉ's television channels. The contract with Teracom is an important element in the DTT implementation process to ensure the availability of complaint receivers in the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,477 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lossy wrote: »
    .....well if this is real and not a hoax....
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1194240

.....then maybe this could be a possibility......
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=37705588&postcount=21

Its not a hoax, but its also not guaranteed to come to fruition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

With less than three months to launch, does anyone know if there has been much interest from manufacturers to acquire the Saorview logo?

I think STB hinted at some activity a few months back. Has there been any progress since?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

How would we know unless the testing agency (Teracom) releases info?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

RTÉNL are supposed to list the receivers that pass the test on their website. It's not there yet!

Lossy wrote: »
    .....well if this is real and not a hoax....
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1194240

.....then maybe this could be a possibility......
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=37705588&postcount=21

It's dead in the water now unless Kasat fails to be commissioned. It would have been only Encrypted Pay TV for the Irish channels unless there was legislation and budget for an Irish FTV encrypted system. It would never ever have been FTA (in the clear).

Collection of links to Boards.ie saorsat thread. ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055968485 )
    Here: http://www.techtir.ie/watty/soartv
    (Includes some background)
    Saorsat will probably be a exact copy of DTT Saorview and will be FTA (in the clear), receivable in N.I. but in rest of UK only IOM, very fringes of Wales, tip of Cornwall, maybe western fringes or Western Isles with big dish.

Saorsat service may start Mid 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

watty wrote: »
    How would we know unless the testing agency (Teracom) releases info?

1. I would hope Teracom would be releasing info to RTENL, and that anyone within RTE connected with the fast approaching launch would be interested in knowing if official receivers will even exist.

I do concede though that no transparency can be expected from the national broadcaster itself.

2. If a manufacturer submits a receiver and it is approved for the logo, they may want to publicise the fact, even if only in trade magazines at this stage. After all, why bother going to the trouble of getting the logo if you are not going to take advantage of it?

Is this the logo or something dreamed up by Walker in Dublin?

http://www.techtir.ie/blog/watty/possible-saorview-logo

Spotted by Byte today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

sesswhat wrote: »
    1. I would hope Teracom would be releasing info to RTENL, and that anyone within RTE connected with the fast approaching launch would be interested in knowing if official receivers will even exist.

I do concede though that no transparency can be expected from the national broadcaster itself.

2. If a manufacturer submits a receiver and it is approved for the logo, they may want to publicise the fact, even if only in trade magazines at this stage. After all, why bother going to the trouble of getting the logo if you are not going to take advantage of it?
    There are a number of receivers from various manufacturers submitted for testing. All parties are bound by NDA's though, so there will be no official announcements until the official launch of the service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Is this the logo or something dreamed up by Walker in Dublin?

http://www.techtir.ie/blog/watty/possible-saorview-logo

Spotted by Byte today.

Why do they need TV at the end of Saorview? I like the simpilar version on Wikipedia TBH.

Saorview.jpg

Moved from Content Thread

The part at front is a red tick. to indicate compliance?

Compare with UK See bottom right corner
    http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/home

Some sort of semi-official logo apart from the Freeview one. (Freeview came much later than UK DTT)
    http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/about_digital_uk/partners

saorviewlogo-s.png
    (possibly Saorview TV logo?)
    vs
    ban_digi.jpg
    (Logo of official UK digital TV promotion)

RTE Networks Ltd.
    bottomheaderbg.jpg

Basic RTÉ logo
    logo_footer.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭tlaavtech

Elmo wrote: »
    Why do they need TV at the end of Saorview? I like the simpilar version on Wikipedia TBH.

Saorview.jpg

I prefer the newer Walker version - the one above seems too bland. The addition of the TV adds clarity to what the logo is for :D

tlaavtech wrote: »
    I prefer the newer Walker version - the one above seems too bland. The addition of the TV adds clarity to what the logo is for :D

Yeah, I never got O2 they really should call it o2phone, and whats that meteor crowd for?

I think a brand should speak for itself. I didn't even realize that their was a tick in the logo to represent compatibility.

Sometimes simple logos work

BBC.svg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

This is the official logo

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DNZ5UQJP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Rick_

How utterly bland and boring.

I much prefer the newer ones reported with the tick in red and grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

That download site wont work for me.. can anyone post it here

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭scath

tlaavtech wrote: »

Have updated the wikipedia Saorview image entry. I like the Walker version. Doesn't have to adhere to national colour as did previous logo look. They could put the tick box into a circle too for showing compliance without the whole logo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

pa990 wrote: »
    That download site wont work for me.. can anyone post it here

2l8vh1v.png

slegs wrote: »
    This is the official logo

saorview-official-s.png

saorviewlogo-s.png
    Since it's not on BAI, www.digitaltelevision.ie www.rte.ie or www.rtenl how do we know what is the official one?

Or could they be an earlier and later versions of official logo?

I don't trust either of them till it's confirmed by RTE, RTENL, BAI, Government or Teracom web sites as official.

• Advertisement

saorviewlogo-s.png
    Since it's not on BAI, www.digitaltelevision.ie www.rte.ie or www.rtenl how do we know what is the official one?

The wikipedia logo looks like a photo of a sticker.

Are any of these logos on any official material?

The wikipedia logo looks like a photo of a sticker.

Are any of these logos on any official material?

Not that I know of. I think something like the green plainer one was used in a presentation. But it may have been simply thrown together for the presentation.

If I had to bet, I'd bet on the fancier one. Redundancy is common, such as AIB Bank, so adding the TV isn't unlikely.

The red & grey one with a tick actually looks like something money passed hands for. The green one is like a 1960s TV set brand label.

I'd not bet on either TBH. I'd guess though that all will be made clear between now and June 2011. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,522 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

If it's any indication of which logo, the new revamped DTT Aertel programme schedule pages (171 and up) are now including the channels LCNs from the various platforms on which they are carried e.g. RTÉ1 UPC:101, Sky:101 and Saorview is described as SaorView TV:1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

saorviewlogo-s.png

I don't trust either of them till it's confirmed by RTE, RTENL, BAI, Government or Teracom web sites as official.
    Its from an official source

slegs wrote: »
    Its from an official source

But is it the "final" version? I know it's from an official source.

I guess when this "Information Campaign" starts will will learn lots of stuff.

Intriguing
    (cur | prev) 14:53, 20 August 2010 Scathain (talk | contribs) m (8,739 bytes) (Change to assumed official logo to be shortly unveiled) (undo)
    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saorview
    200px-Saorviewtv.jpg
    The logo is from the screenshot of EPG test from http://www.techtir.ie/blog/watty/possible-saorview-logo and not http://www.rtenl.ie website. MHEG5 Irish DTT EPG
    Mwhahah! :) They have not used the one *IN* the screen shot but the larger one from article I cleaned up.
    I have no idea who Scathain is. Maybe Scath here? But the point made is that the logo is on the Video, the Screenshot, of the EPG on the Walker box. Look carefully http://www.techtir.ie/blog/watty/possible-saorview-logo

[edit] Blow up here:
    124918.png
    Cropped from scan of printed magazine IER, Irish Electrical Irish Electrical Review, a Trade magazine for Electrical Retailers. (Thanks Byte)
    We don't know if any of this is official, but it's unlikely that Walker generated the EPG graphics.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I must stress that the scan of the magazine is from IER, an electrical retailer mag.

I didn't say it was the offiicial logo, nor does it say it's the official logo on the magazine, I just found it intriguing, especially with it shown on the EPG. That, and the fact Walker Technologies are working on official Saorview spec hardware, the first brand I'm aware of to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭scath

But is it the "final" version? I know it's from an official source.

Intriguing
    (cur | prev) 14:53, 20 August 2010 Scathain (talk | contribs) m (8,739 bytes) (Change to assumed official logo to be shortly unveiled) (undo)
    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saorview
    200px-Saorviewtv.jpg

Mwhahah! :) They have not used the one *IN* the screen shot but the larger one from article I cleaned up.
    I have no idea who Scathain is. Maybe Scath here? But the point made is that the logo is on the Video, the Screenshot, of the EPG on the Walker box. Look carefully http://www.techtir.ie/blog/watty/possible-saorview-logo

Yip scathain is indeed scath...me arrh lol...I updated it..okay shoot me hehe...perhaps I should alter the edit to be latest known logo...

scath wrote: »
    Yip scathain is indeed scath...me arrh lol...I updated it..okay shoot me hehe...perhaps I should alter the edit to be latest known logo...
    Or a plausible logo. I didn't realise till I read the edit that the logo was IN the screen shot. So I went back to LARGE image Byte scanned and cleaned up the screen part. It's unlikely Walker or the Box supplier is customising the EPG graphics. So people with MHEG5 on DTT need to keep an eye out to see does a logo appear on that EPG as shown.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Saorview.jpg

That looks like the one I have seen before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

When these Saorview branded tv's become available are we going to get ripped off (well people that are not any wiser) because it's the new kid on the block or will competition produce bargains to be found equal to those those on the internet. I doubt it.

Advertisement