Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is TV3 coming on to DTT?

Options
  • 27-08-2010 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Any date set yet for TV3 going live on DTT?

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

It is speculated that it will be around 30th October at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,516 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Could be the soft launch in Oct, the full national public launch next year or analogue switchoff in 2012. It's all speculation until we get an offficial date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭John mac

the head of programming was on todayfm yesterday and he mentioned 2012 as being the date.

John mac wrote: »
    the head of programming was on todayfm yesterday and he mentioned 2012 as being the date.

Which programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

the British authorities wouldn't put up with ITV channels only coming on freeview at ASO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Things don't work the same here as in UK.

The Cush wrote: »
    Which programme?
    probably the last word ?

Regardless the only certainty we have is that they will obviously be on dtt at ASO so from midnight on the 31st [if that is indeed aso-who knows] or 6am on the morning of the 1st january 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭John mac

Ray D'arcy think it was around 11 ish.. He was on to promote the schedule for autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

watty wrote: »
    Things don't work the same here as in UK.

ye they work much much slllloooooowwwwweeeeerrrrrr backward country

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

muchos04 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Any date set yet for TV3 going live on DTT?

Regards
    that,s the six million dollar question [WHEN]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Hopefully their recent claims of 93% availability in adverts arent a smokescreen to any non intentions to join the PSB mux until they have feel fit.

Seems the insert is a sponsor for "3" the mobile operator. Talk about confusion when you only hear the audio.

STB wrote: »
    Hopefully their recent claims of 93% availability in adverts arent a smokescreen to any non intentions to join the PSB mux until they have feel fit.
    as public service broadcaster there license states they must be there ,as mr ryan should remind them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Tom Slick

Hopefully their recent claims of 93% availability in adverts....

93% ?!

Were these adverts on TV3? (can't receive it)

EDIT: Seems that its a "3" insert who sponsor expose!

lgs4: They have a terrestrial licence with the BAI. Eamon Ryan will be doing nothing.

RTENL are rolling out the PSB mux which would house Tv3 and would require agreements to be signed and cash to change hands etc.

Until analogue switch off happens - 2011/2 theoretically TV3 may take the view that they don't need to be paying for analogue and digital terrestrial carriage in parallel and will join when the gun is put to its the head. And business people may say that is a realistic and acceptable approach. Me I want more choice NOW! TV3 Analogue is poor where I am (Dublin) and DTT is 92% with indoor 5v powered aerial. I dont subscribe to Sky or UPC and use a combo box.

lgs 4 wrote: »
    as public service broadcaster there license states they must be there ,as mr ryan should remind them
    Do you have a copy of the licence or a link?
    Until analogue switch off happens - 2011/2 theoretically TV3 may take the view that they dont need to be paying for analogue and digital in parallel and will join when the gun is put its the head.
    ASO Q4 2012
    On Thursday 29 July 2010, the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources , announced that analogue terrestrial television will be switched-off in the State in Quarter 4 of 2012, in conjunction with analogue switchover in Northern Ireland.

Source: ComReg

The issue of dual charges for TV3 analogue and digital transmisson has been raised by Bob Collins of the BAI
    Two other issues arise that are important and in which the authority will take an interest. One is the cost of transmission, especially in the simulcast phase between October of this year and the end of 2012 when analogue switch-off will take place, for TV3 and TG4 in particular, because they are in a qualitatively different position from the RTE channels given the nature of their relationship between the transmission network and RTE the broadcaster.
    The issue of cost for TV3 and TG4 was mentioned. There is a qualitative difference between these and the two RTE television channels. Simultaneous transmissions which are, to a certain extent, test transmissions will take place until the switchover, encouraging people to become
    accustomed to DTT while the information campaign is proceeding. The cost, for no real return in terms of access to additional viewers, is a consideration, to which some attention will be given.

The Cush wrote: »
    Do you have a copy of the licence or a link?

I would think only the BAI and Tv3 have a copy of that!

The television programme service contract entered into between TV3 Television Network Limited and the BCI under section 17 of the Radio and Television Act 1988 and section 6 of the Broadcasting Act 1990 continues under Section 70 of the Broadcasting Act 2009.

Section 139 is the interesting part in relation to ASO and the promotion of ASO and ensuring its smooth transition. Perhaps that was what lgs 4 was referring to in relation to the Minister.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Perhaps I am wrong but i am a suspicious. :cool:

Well I am not wrong when I choose to watch ITV1 HD any time over ITV Ireland in analogue.

Yes Tom. I don't watch TV3 myself (except for GAA/Champ league) but I had my Clarketech's DTT RF Output to the TV looped to the TV which lashes on the Analogue first on start up so I happened to catch 2 minutes of it on Tv3 whilst trying to find the universal remote (the very easy on the eye Karen Koster doing a link into the adverts - and there was a five second insert between ads with a female v/o with this small message. I wondered what the reason was for it given I know what their terrestrial coverage percentage is.

And I hate spin. You cannot use those who subscribe to pay services to boost your terrestrial reach even if you describe it as available. They have a terrestrial licence. Most people wouldn't notice it but I immediately saw it as spin. I don't think its for advertising purposes. The agencies know what their reach is.

lgs4: They have a terrestrial licence with the BAI. Eamon Ryan will be doing nothing.

RTENL are rolling out the PSB mux which would house Tv3 and would require agreements to be signed and cash to change hands etc.

Until analogue switch off happens - 2011/2 theoretically TV3 may take the view that they don't need to be paying for analogue and digital terrestrial carriage in parallel and will join when the gun is put to its the head. And business people may say that is a realistic and acceptable approach. Me I want more choice NOW! TV3 Analogue is poor where I am (Dublin) and DTT is 92% with indoor 5v powered aerial. I dont subscribe to Sky or UPC and use a combo box.

Perhaps I am wrong but i am a suspicious. :cool:
    i dont watch tv3 either, they knew that digital switch over was coming yes bitching about having to pay to be on two networks, you budget for these things

Perhaps that was what lgs 4 was referring to in relation to the Minister.
    Perhaps.

Yes I think Bob was being realistic but we will see what actually happens with the RTE NL and Tv3.

Tg4 are being carried already so agreements may already be in place with Tg4.

TV3 are quite obviously dragging their feet perhaps in the hope that some of the costs are dropped for the dual period. This may not be a unreasonable expectation especially when you have Bob Collins chosing to use the words for DSO soft launch from October as being regarded as a test transmission period until ASO switches off. Not helpful to RTE NL who have had to build the new infrastructure and enter into satellite contracts for Saorsat from scratch alone.

There is nothing test about DSO. Its a transitional period for god sake.

• Advertisement

I don't have a copy of the licence either but I should imagine that TV3 are licenced as a free to air broadcaster subject to a certain level of coverage.
    I should imagine that would mean that they can stay off dtt untill aso if they want to.

In practice I wouldn't be surprised if they appear on it before then or even at saorviews launch on october 31.

I refuse to use the phrase "soft launch" [was that coined on this forum?] as it's the law that is is launched on october 31.
    Theres no such thing as a soft launch... only enhancements.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Minister called it a "technical Launch" I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I remember back when TV3 launched and were criticised for not being on (most) relay TX's their response was something on the lines that when they launched on DTT it would be on the relays first :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

TV3 will pay less on DTT than analogue if the savings are passed on. If TV3 are not on from the start, I would think RTENL would be within their rights to levy higher charges on TV3 to make up for the 'transition' costs.

If TV3 remain off DTT until ASO, then maybe they will be left off after it. They would take a good while going through the courts to get reinstated if RTENL played hardball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Tom Slick

Could TV3 set their own ASO date(s) if they reckoned enough people had DTT receiving equipment in certain areas?

Tom Slick wrote: »
    Could TV3 set their own ASO date(s) if they reckoned enough people had DTT receiving equipment in certain areas?

No the Minister does that and has according to The Cush above..

Section 139 of the Broadcasting Act 2009.

watty wrote: »
    The Minister called it a "technical Launch" I think.

Conor Hayes at the Oireachtas discussion said "October 2010 is the switch-on from a technical basis".
    This may not be a unreasonable expectation especially when you have Bob Collins chosing to use the words for DSO soft launch from October as being regarded as a test transmission period until ASO switches off. Not helpful to RTE NL who have had to build the new infrastructure and enter into satellite contracts for Saorsat from scratch alone.

There is nothing test about DSO. Its a transitional period for god sake.

The Minister/Dept had referred the period between the Oct launch and the full public launch next year as the public testing phase (public information, promotion, training etc.) following the pre-launch network engineering test phase. They have said "We are starting the DTT service in October 2010, which is a crucial time. It will take time to test it and get it right before it is fully launched in a public way".

The period between Oct and ASO is being referred to as the simulcast, dual-illumination or DSO transitional phase/period.
    That could depend on the terms and conditions of their licence.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

No. DTT data stream is the same for all transmitters, so they either join or do not join. They are not on any analogue relays, so the main transmitters are turned off at ASO, and not before, or after. It is possible that some relays could be left on, but unlikely. Anyway, it is not up to TV3.

TV3 need to pay up and get on DTT before launch or at launch. RTENL could play silly beggars with them if they are not on it from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Funny how so many people claim never to watch TV3 but yet are hugely concerned about when it will appear on DTT...

I'd like to see it on DTT, but then I'm happy to admit that I watch both it and 3E from time to time.

• Advertisement

Well I'm certainly watching the apprentice anyhow :)

Advertisement