Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Cheers, thanks for that. It's bucketing down here at the moment, so I'm looking forward to some nice Wexico sunshine and strawberries. :rolleyes:

High hopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Ah, you know what they say....it's the hope that kills ya ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

ProudDUB wrote:
    Cheers, thanks for that. It's bucketing down here at the moment, so I'm looking forward to some nice Wexico sunshine and strawberries.

If you use the M9 you will have no flood worries

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

I am thinking of driving from Dublin to Bunclody tomorrow (sunday Jan 3rd) to say at the Millrace Hotel. I rang the hotel and they said I won't meet flooding as long as I take the N7 and M9 but don't take the M11. Do you think I should go to Bunclody or not?

Any advice welcome Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

horsebox7 wrote: »
    I am thinking of driving from Dublin to Bunclody tomorrow (sunday Jan 3rd) to say at the Millrace Hotel. I rang the hotel and they said I won't meet flooding as long as I take the N7 and M9 but don't take the M11. Do you think I should go to Bunclody or not?

Any advice welcome Thanks

Take the motorway to Carlow and then Carlow to Enniscorthy road. Should be fine.

• Advertisement

Hey folks, am driving from Dublin to Wexford on Saturday afternoon, on the M/N 11. I'll be driving from Wexford to New Ross on Sunday morning. Can I expect any flood delays, road closures etc on either journey? Is the road across the bridge in Enniscorthy open? The pix & vids are shocking. Ta.

Council are saying the N11 is closed . Certainly closed north bound,though I can see traffic heading south.
    Best to avoid if you're not already on your way.

Well that was a magical mystery tour that I really, really enjoyed. :rolleyes:

Southbound N11 traffic thru Enniscorthy, was diverted via whatever road the convent and Supervalu are on. Took me about half an hour to come out the other side of town, as traffic was bumper to bumper. When on the other side, a man directing the diverted traffic onto the N30, said to go to Wexford via New Ross. :eek:

B0ll0cks to that, sez I. So I turned onto the R730, just before Cloughbawn and that took me to the N11 on the outskirts of Wexford, without much bother.

That's the last time I take the advise of Boardsies...yiz are all fired ! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Well that was a magical mystery tour that I really, really enjoyed. :rolleyes:

N11 traffic thru Enniscorthy was diverted via whatever road the convent and Supervalu are on. Took me about half an hour to come out the other side of town, as traffic was bumper to bumper. When on the other side, a man directing the diverted traffic onto the N30, said to go to Wexford via New Ross. :eek:

B0ll0cks to that, sez I. So I turned onto the R730, just before Cloughbawn and that took me to the N11 on the outskirts of Wexford, without much bother. That's the last time I take the advise of Boardsies...yiz are all fired ! :P

I know a handier way around but it's a secret.;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Can't blame me - I told you to use the M9 - but ya wouldn't listen :)

I couldn't take the M9. I had to stop off in Wickla town on the way down, to see a man about a dog. :)

• Advertisement

Michael D is coming to town to see first hand the flood damage,he'll have to wear kids size wellies,normal ones would look like waders on him.

zerks wrote: »
    Michael D is coming to town to see first hand the flood damage,he'll have to wear kids size wellies,normal ones would look like waders on him.

We'll be enthused and uplifted.

kneemos wrote: »
    We'll be enthused and uplifted.

If the river rises again he'll need to be uplifted:pac:

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

If Michael D is captaining a Dredger Boat then yes it would be brilliant if he came to Enniscorthy other than that its a waste of time calling to see a town where the waters have receded, Why don't he get in a Government helicopter or car head to Clare or Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

Trains between Rosslare and Dublin (and v versa) up and running again through Enniscorthy after several days of bus transfers plus a period when the station was cut off by both road and rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

sjb25 wrote: »
    Hopefully the Worst is over very well done to everybody helping out especially the volunteers from the search & rescue the Irish Redcross and civil defence all helping out on there own time I especially seen the search and rescue and Redcross helping out a man who came out of one of the shops on the quay or something yesterday well done to them all when we where all having a nose they wer working hard
    that was poor ralph,he was overcome by the fumes from the water pumps in the shop and was put in ambulance given oxygen and all was well,luckily. but he had 3 foot of water inside shop held out as much as he could in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Long shot obviously but it's worth a try! Does anyone here know anyone that travels to Waterford daily? I know someone looking for a lift to/from Waterford for college. Willing to split petrol costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Wellyd wrote: »
    Long shot obviously but it's worth a try! Does anyone here know anyone that travels to Waterford daily? I know someone looking for a lift to/from Waterford for college. Willing to split petrol costs.

I know it's not exactly what you are looking for but do you know Wexford Bus now have a service to the college?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

I know it's not exactly what you are looking for but do you know Wexford Bus now have a service to the college?

I had heard about that but it only goes from Wexford town as far I know. Maybe I'm wrong!

On the brink again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

kneemos wrote: »
    On the brink again.

The water is coming up out of manholes in the riverside carpark as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I've noticed shops around town now rounding the cost of your goods. Whilst I simply hate 1c, 2c and 5c coins, here's a few thoughts -

1. Nobody seems to round down
    2. Nobody seems to ask are you ok with it
    3. Do you think Aldi would sell you a €1 loaf of bread if you handed them 98c? That's the one that really gets me.

Aldi short changed me by 2c on Saturday and Mr. Price did the same this morning. I'm not against the idea, but I seriously doubt they'd be so accommodating if you short changed them.

(Probably for Consumer Issues... but I just find too many people on those forums who just want to argue cos they like to argue)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I've noticed shops around town now rounding the cost of your goods. Whilst I simply hate 1c, 2c and 5c coins, here's a few thoughts -

1. Nobody seems to round down
    For totals ending in 1, 2, 6 or 7 cent, shops (assuming they are rounding, it is voluntary, after all) should be rounding down. Otherwise rounding goes up (3, 4, 8, 9) or it's already round (0 or 5). Call the shops out on it if you see rounding incorrectly applied. In theory this should all balance out, though obviously with a lot of prices ending in 9, then single item purchases may end up with a greater rate of rounding up.
    I2. Nobody seems to ask are you ok with it
    Per the Central Bank it's up to the consumer to opt out if they do not want their change rounded, and the onus is not on the retailer to ask. This was pretty well publicised, to be fair.
    3. Do you think Aldi would sell you a €1 loaf of bread if you handed them 98c? That's the one that really gets me.
    You don't have to pay €1 for a 98c loaf if you don't want to, per the above.
    Aldi short changed me by 2c on Saturday and Mr. Price did the same this morning. I'm not against the idea, but I seriously doubt they'd be so accommodating if you short changed them.
    Do you mind me asking did the "short changing" fall outside of the defined rounding procedure outlined by the Central Bank? If not, then per the same link, they should be facilitating you to "short change" them (i.e. round down the total) at a similar rate to them rounding down the customer change.
    (Probably for Consumer Issues... but I just find too many people on those forums who just want to argue cos they like to argue)

This was pretty well publicised, to be fair.

Sounds like its my fault for not reading Central Bank documentation.

Honestly.. I wasn't even aware that this was agreed at a national level - I just assumed it was the shops making the decision themselves. Not arsed with newspapers and/or news in general - more often than not just too depressing for me. I guess ignorance is bliss... most of the time.

Not sure if you're getting me on the loaf point -

The shop can charge me €1 for a 98c loaf. Can I offer to pay 98c for a €1 loaf i.e. I'll hypothetically round up my 98c to €1? They can have my 2c this week but will they do me the favour when I'm 2c short next week?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Honestly.. I wasn't even aware that this was agreed at a national level - I just assumed it was the shops making the decision themselves. Not arsed with newspapers and/or news in general - more often than not just too depressing for me. I guess ignorance is bliss... most of the time.

The shop can charge me €1 for a 98c loaf. Can I offer to pay 98c for a €1 loaf i.e. I'll hypothetically round up my 98c to €1? They can have my 2c this week but will they do me the favour when I'm 2c short next week?

Thanks

Simple answer is no they won't.

Ya, that's what I thought. Consumer rarely wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

I was in Boggan's in Wexford last week and I bought a can of Coke which was ridiculously priced at €1.12. A can of Coke normally costs €1 in any shop that I'd usually go to.

Anyway I stroll up to the counter with 1.20 in my hand, expecting 10 cent change, as per the rounding procedure. The till operator hands me 7 cent change. :confused:

How she got from 1.12 to 1.13 was beyond me, but I said it to her that I was expecting 10 cent change owing to the new rounding agreement and she said in a kind of snotty tone "Well you can have your ten cent if you like".

I took my 10 cent out of principal.

It's a good idea, but I don't like the idea of shops trying to gain from it, especially when they are charging extortionate rates for a can of Coke in the first place.

Irrespective of the rounding initiative, I've often been in shops where they didn't have sufficient coinage in the till to properly refund your change and they'd be like "oh, is it ok, I don't have anything smaller than 50c?". Same shops wouldn't sell you jack sh1t if you were 5c short of payment.

I was in the petrol station on the Island Road recently and a customer was having a quarrel with the girl behind the counter over something to do with 48c. I was so phucked up waiting to pay and get outta there, I offered to pay the 48c difference to help alleviate the issue - neither party seemed overly happy with my proposal.

I just wanna go buy something for 1.93 now and hand them 1.90 to feel like I've won for all of 5 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

It was hardly necessary to read CB documentation, but if you make a conscious decision not to engage with/consume any news outlets, which are the typical channel for this kind of information (and indeed the legally mandated channel for some types of information), then you're inevitably going to miss out. However, seeing as Wexford town was a trial location for this change, and since there are so many stories of people shopping there instead of Enniscorthy around here, the wider implementation of this initiative shouldn't really have been that much of a surprise.

Thanks
    Oh, I get you alright. However they are not really charging you €1 for a €0.98 loaf, and to suggest they are is skewing the facts. In terms of your proposal, you can offer to pay them €0.01 if you so wish, but they don't have to accept it. In the same way, you don't have to accept your change being rounded down, and you can ask for it in full. However if everyone took the attitude of insisting on the full amount of their rounded down change, while also accepting the rounded change when it's rounded up, the entire practice will be gone pretty quick, and I don't think that would be a positive move.

• Advertisement

Should have made it compulsory anyway,everyone would have been used to it by now, instead nobody who's doing it and who's not.

Advertisement