Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Met half of Enniscorthy in Wexford today,the place was jammers.Enniscorthy looked like it had been evacuated.

People say "shop local and support the town" but nothing I wanted or needed was available here so a trip down the road was the only solution.Plus I managed to save €200 due to a misprice in Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

zerks wrote: »
    Met half of Enniscorthy in Wexford today,the place was jammers.Enniscorthy looked like it had been evacuated.

People say "shop local and support the town" but nothing I wanted or needed was available here so a trip down the road was the only solution.Plus I managed to save €200 due to a misprice in Argos.

Was it Guitar Hero ?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Was it Guitar Hero ?

Sure was,managed to get a couple of them.Did you get one yourself? €130 in Gamestop.

It was kind of sad watching a handful of kids milling around the merry go round set up in Market Square with half the shops closed up,but that's Enniscorthy these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Sure was,managed to get a couple of them.Did you get one yourself? €130 in Gamestop.

It was kind of sad watching a handful of kids milling around the merry go round set up in Market Square with half the shops closed up,but that's Enniscorthy these days.

Yea got one earlier the girl at my till said I was the third person in and the two guys before me got more than one each :D

It was a ghost town again today. There was no more than 10 people between the quay and Gus Byrne's at 5pm today.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The Castle looked sorta busy . Somebody in there seems to have their finger on the pulse in fairness.

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    The Castle looked sorta busy . Somebody in there seems to have their finger on the pulse in fairness.

Have it booked for next weekend for the kids,saw the price for Ballycross Farm in another thread:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rackard

It's always highlighted more around christmas time how much of a disgrace Enniscorthy is alright. Hundreds of locals flock to Wexford, Gorey, Waterford or Dublin.

Become a real run down scutter hole. Plenty of people tell me how beautiful it is. May be that but the place is dead and dilapidated and getting worse every year.
    Blame firmly at the hands of the knuckle dragging councillors who pulled the town down for decades now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Rackard wrote: »
    It's always highlighted more around christmas time how much of a disgrace Enniscorthy is alright. Hundreds of locals flock to Wexford, Gorey, Waterford or Dublin.

Become a real run down scutter hole. Plenty of people tell me how beautiful it is. May be that but the place is dead and dilapidated and getting worse every year.
    Blame firmly at the hands of the knuckle dragging councillors who pulled the town down for decades now.

It will surely be a boom town again once this arrives. :rolleyes:

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/enniscorthyguardian/news/enniscorthys-new-flag-monument-will-take-centre-stage-in-the-1916-celebrations-34143084.html

beak%2Bwith%2Bleak%2Breplacement.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Rackard wrote: »

If its the councillors to blame surely the finger should be pointed at the electorate for voting for them and the 14000 that didn't vote in 2014.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    If its the councillors to blame surely the finger should be pointed at the electorate for voting for them and the 14000 that didn't vote in 2014.

I think the fact that less than 50% of the Enniscorthy electorate bothered to vote http://electionsireland.com/election.php?elecid=157&constitid=237 says more about the total disillusionment with all politicians than it does about the electorate.

• Advertisement

Welcome to the Bogside.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rackard

McLoughlin wrote: »

This is decades in the making. I'd say there's a lot of them too that are sweating buckets, hoping RTE didn't sting any of them in recent times too.

Just with all the flooding in the news of late - one example,
    The bridge in Enniscorthy was designed for water to flow OVER it - believe it or not!
    This design was passed by the council back in the day despite numerous concerns by other architects back in the day. Look at the absolute disasters/cost that bridge has created/added to with flooding in the last 3 decades.
    How in the name of god did that ever get the go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

It all might seem very haphazard to the untrained eye, but everything that goes on is highly planned using a technique called 'trial and error' - a technique that Enniscorthy Town Planners are highly adapt at.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Del.Monte wrote: »

They like their shiny stuff, don't they. All metal and marble.
    Very 'modern'.
    I think it looks tacky myself, and it ages very badly - especially when poorly maintained, as it undoubtedly will be.

Keep an eye out folks if you are driving past St.Patricks school in the evenings,it looks like the latest pastime of kids is to throw rocks at passing cars from the bank at the bottom of Moran Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Keep an eye out folks if you are driving past St.Patricks school in the evenings,it looks like the latest pastime of kids is to throw rocks at passing cars from the bank at the bottom of Moran Park.

That's been going on since the 80's.

TheChevron wrote: »
    That's been going on since the 80's.

The thing is,all the 80's kids have grown up and moved on.Moran Park is largely older people now so the kids are obviously from elsewhere (not too far away)

blindsider wrote: »
    Really? that'd be an interesting move. Their new store in Gorey is supposed to be impressive. Any timescale for this?

Same size as the Gorey store apparently. One of their 'concept stores',whatever that is when it's at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

River looks high with more heavy rain forecast for the week.

• Advertisement

What cretin decided that Enniscorthy should be treated to Christmas music on a loop all day yesterday? It was very wet, nothing open, nobody in the town save for those of us condemned to live in the place. As 11am approaches I wait in expectation of the horrible racket to start-up again. :mad:

11.14 and it's just started up again...

Del.Monte wrote: »
    11.14 and it's just started up again...

Ah sure it adds to the atmosphere around the town.......LOL.

Just back from the shops...Wizzard still belting out of the PA system but everywhere closed - Dunnes, Dealz even The Holy Grail! Stamps is, as usual, doing a roaring trade but I have my couple of cans of Beamish for under the Arches home to watch Connacht vs Ulster. Music just gone off. :D

Sandbags are out.Given the current levels it doesn't look good.

kneemos wrote: »
    Sandbags are out.Given the current levels it doesn't look good.

The charts in the Weather forum don't make nice viewing.I reckon those sandbags will be needed.

The Still is flooded,water pouring out from the pond.Parts of the prom starting to flood too.It could be interesting in the morning.

The Still is flooded,water pouring out from the pond.Parts of the prom starting to flood too.It could be interesting in the morning.

Avoid Enniscorthy. Bridge is flooded .

More than bridge is flooded and high tide isn't until 10.30am.

Railway%2BBridge.JPG

The railway bridge and station. No trains north of Wexford.

Island%2BRoad.JPG

The aptly named Island Road.

• Advertisement

Tractor%2Bcrossing%2BSeamus%2BRafter%2BBridge.JPG

Not a great shot but the tractor on the Seamus Rafter Bridge gives an idea of the river's height!

The%2BShannon%2BQuay.JPG

The Shannon Quay is flooded as usual but to a greater depth than I've seen before.

Advertisement