Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I passed it this morning on my way to work. It looks completely out of place and I wish they had have spent the money more wisely.

Thanks. I thought it was going to be an ordinary flagpole and I'm disappointed to hear that they've made the same mistake with it as they did the Market Square.

They took the whole character of a country Market town and historical centre and tried to modernise it in the worst possible way imo

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

paulaa wrote: »
    Any photos of the Abbey Square "spire" today ?

It's nothing like this.I know it may be an artists impression,but god damn.Were they trying to fool us?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Taken a few minutes ago and my poor pic doesn't do justice to its awfulness.

FLAG.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Taken a few minutes ago and my poor pic doesn't do justice to its awfulness.

FLAG.JPG

It's still in the wrapping there. I think it'll look even worse once that's removed.

Who paid for it?

Who decided that it should be inflicted it on the town?

Who will pay for its annual cleaning or will it turn into a farce like the 'Stiletto in the Ghetto' ?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/selfcleaning-spires-upkeep-costs-hit-21m-26856389.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

I passed it this morning on my way to work. It looks completely out of place and I wish they had have spent the money more wisely.

Passed it aswell ugly looking thing and as you say looks completely out of place but what would I know I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

As you head out the Oulart Road from town, just before the turn for Blackwater, there's been about 50 orange road work signs erected along a stretch of road about 400 metres long. I'm assuming this is something to do with the bypass???

jpb1974 wrote: »
    As you head out the Oulart Road from town, just before the turn for Blackwater, there's been about 50 orange road work signs erected along a stretch of road about 400 metres long. I'm assuming this is something to do with the bypass???

Flyover or something,perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

That's correct,there's a roundabout going there.Won't be long before we see the diggers moving in.

kneemos wrote: »
    Flyover or something,perhaps.

That road will be one of the motorway spurs into Enniscorthy. Not ideal if trucks use it as it'll create a bottleneck at Donohoes bottling plant.

You might have noticed black rubber across the road in various places and a camera on a pole facing them. They must be monitoring traffic flow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IsaBrown

about 50 orange road work signs erected along a stretch of road about 400 metres long.

About 50 is not an exaggeration, it's fairly accurate in fact.

There is also one yellow sign "in case of emergency, remain in your vehicle . . . . . Phone 087 . . . . "

Not ideal if trucks use it as it'll create a bottleneck at Donohoes bottling plant.

Terrible road -

Yielding at the Old Bridge creates a backlog
    The crossroads at the end of the Shannon (blind if you're pulling out from the station)
    That un-merciful bend
    Hendricks fixing cars on the side of the road

On a bad school morning / Friday afternoon, it could take you 20-30 minutes to get from Mr. Price onto The Quay.

I'm very surprised and equally not surprised at all that it has been chosen as a spur road into town.

Terrible road -

The crossroads at the end of the Shannon (blind if you're pulling out from the station)
    That un-merciful bend

On a bad school morning / Friday afternoon, it could take you 20-30 minutes to get from Mr. Price onto The Quay.

I'm very surprised and equally not surprised at all that it has been chosen as a spur road into town.

Scarwalsh is the main Enniscorthy exit I'd say.
    Could be just a southbound exit to the Oulart and Blackwater roads.

Yep, I would think so too.

Not crazy about diverting traffic onto that horrible stretch of road. But, with traffic bypassing the town, the backlog getting into town during peak hours should decrease with less traffic on the Old Bridge.

Scarwalsh is the main Enniscorthy exit I'd say.
    Could be just a southbound exit to the Oulart and Blackwater roads.

That's right. Just hope the trucks don't use it to avoid the backups on the island road.

That's right. Just hope the trucks don't use it to avoid the backups on the island road.

Travelling south and using the link road across to scarawalsh instead of continuing to Tomnafunshoge exit will add 4 or 5km to journey.

enniscorthybypass.jpg

Interactive route map here -

http://wexfordhub.com/enniscorthy-bypass/

Looks like that big yellow house on the left hand side before the turn to Blackwater is set to go, with the next door neighbours having the bypass right next to them.

I never knew Drumgoold spreads so far either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,212 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Will it be Tolled ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Will it be Tolled ?

Nope - Enniscorthy and New Ross by-passes will not be tolled.

Builders are on site in Charlie Cullens old shop in Templeshannon.Rumours are that both that building and Charlie Kavanaghs behind it are to be redeveloped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Hey, anyone been to the wilds yet? any good?

vicwatson wrote: »

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g319787-d8793731-Reviews-The_Wilds-Enniscorthy_County_Wexford.html

It's a bit off the beaten track, but I hope to visit soon and will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭__oc__

vicwatson wrote: »

I have visited 3 times now...the food is excellent, on a Saturday they only serve coffee and sweet things after 3 or 4 (I can't remember off the top of my head)

Only complaint I would have is the service is quite poor, very disorganised with a lengthy wait.

However if you have some time on your hands do visit it is worth the wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

I've been on a Saturday morning for brunch a few weeks back. The person serving explained that they there were busy and there would be a wait for the food. The menu is full of gorgeous choices and it is a nice spot to sit and pass time. It is correct to say that service is a bit disorganised but I put that down to teething problems and I will be back another day to try it again.

Terrible road -

That un-merciful bend

You can download a reasonably detailed map here.
    Looks like a roundabout to the east of the Motorway linking the Oulart and Enniscorthy roads.
    Definitely a short cut for https://www.google.ie/url?q=https://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/Roads/NationalRoadsLiaisonOffice/M11GoreytoEnniscorthyPPPScheme/Title,25500,en.html&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjO147z28DLAhXEIA8KHRfwDekQFggZMAA&usg=AFQjCNGuqG7VP6XorwtuvFV518jC6-8xXA in the know.

You can download a reasonably detailed map here.
    Looks like a roundabout to the east of the Motorway linking the Oulart and Enniscorthy roads.
    Definitely a short cut for https://www.google.ie/url?q=https://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/Roads/NationalRoadsLiaisonOffice/M11GoreytoEnniscorthyPPPScheme/Title,25500,en.html&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjO147z28DLAhXEIA8KHRfwDekQFggZMAA&usg=AFQjCNGuqG7VP6XorwtuvFV518jC6-8xXA in the know.

Is that a southbound exit only? It doesn't look like you can get on the motorway from that roundabout.

IsaBrown wrote: »
    Is that a southbound exit only? It doesn't look like you can get on the motorway from that roundabout.

Looks as if yeah.

That map will be updated,Oilgate is to be bypassed aswell.

I'm sure the roundabout at Finchogue will be primarily for local traffic and all the other traffic will be entering the town via the N11.

How many hair salons can one town take? I see a new one just open in Cloke's old electrical shop on Weafer street - right next door to an existing one. That makes at least five on that street alone.

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    How many hair salons can one town take? I see a new one just open in Cloke's old electrical shop on Weafer street - right next door to an existing one. That makes at least five on that street alone.

Was that hairdresser not up beside Doyle's checkout before?

Advertisement