Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More on the "Psychoactive Substances" bill

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

I doubt very much that when it comes to booting those idiots out, that banning Head Shops will have had much to do with it.

Electorally they would have got a boost from this ban....but they are screwed because of their incompetence on the economy. Do you seriously think FG are going to row back on the ban....not in a million years. Dr James Reilly wants even more stringent laws on so called legal highs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

barrackali wrote: »
    Guys,

I'm guessing that the majority of people posting on this topic are under 30, you guys will just have to accept that Head Shops have no future here. You can always grow your own stuff, but the Head Shops will be finished very soon.

1. I am under 30
    2. I dont care that head shops are gone, never even went to one.
    3. I dont do drugs
    4. This legislation still pisses me off.

The government banned ordinary lightbulbs in favour of energy saving ones, they are now banned because they count as something that is used to grow plants by hydroponic means.

Oh anyone have the figures for the number of alcohol related deaths?

And can somebody tell me how much of the stuff in head shops was actually grown? any of the active substances ive heard of are all synthesised.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

You can always grow your own stuff.

Being allowed to grow your own cannabis would be something, but even as other european countries decriminalise cannabis (and other drugs) and even allow home growing, our government just gets tougher and tougher on drugs and treats its citizens with 'alternative lifestyles' with contempt.

Drugs are here to stay, and other governments around the worlds are starting to realise that criminalising its citizens for getting high is wrong. The FF,FG etc over here don`t have the balls to tackle this issue the right way. The same old attitude of ban everything and just say no just doesnt work.

I am over 30 BTW. I`m not a fan of headshop products, but this legislation is stamping on our civil liberties. These people in government didnt even attempt to compromise when they had the chance. It was more important for them to be seen to be hardline on drugs. Ridiculous.

Teutorix wrote: »

And can somebody tell me how much of the stuff in head shops was actually grown? any of the active substances ive heard of are all synthesised.

Kratom, Salvia, kanna,Peyote/san pedro cactus, mushrooms, Ayahausca blends, and a few others are all natural. Most of the other chemicals are synthetic.

The government should have to prove these headshop substances are harmful before banning them completely. For example , The JWH series of synthetic cannabinoids are almost certainly not dangerous, yet FF decided to save us all from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Dazd_N_Confusd

Shulgin wrote: »
    Being allowed to grow your own cannabis would be something, but even as other european countries decriminalise cannabis (and other drugs) and even allow home growing, our government just gets tougher and tougher on drugs and treats its citizens with 'alternative lifestyles' with contempt.

Drugs are here to stay, and other governments around the worlds are starting to realise that criminalising its citizens for getting high is wrong. The FF,FG etc over here don`t have the balls to tackle this issue the right way. The same old attitude of ban everything and just say no just doesnt work.

I am over 30 BTW.
    I'm presuming this attitude holds true with other drugs like coke and heroin?

• Advertisement

I'm presuming this attitude holds true with other drugs like coke and heroin?

If you are referring to decriminalising cocaine and heroin users, yes

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Kratom, Salvia, kanna,Peyote/san pedro cactus, mushrooms, Ayahausca blends, and a few others are all natural. Most of the other chemicals are synthetic.
    These are also the best drugs the headshop made, there's been no man made recreational drugs of note other than MDMA.

Never knew they sold those, and i thought they banned shrooms a long time ago.

Never knew they sold those, and i thought they banned shrooms a long time ago.

They still sell 'Amanita Muscaria' or 'fly agaric' mushrooms. They are not truly psychedelic in the same way as psilocybin Mushrooms which were banned in 2004. They are more of a deleriant.

They still sell 'Amanita Muscaria' or 'fly agaric' mushrooms. They are not truly psychedelic in the same way as psilocybin Mushrooms which were banned in 2004. They are more of a deleriant.
    So in other words they are about as useful for getting high as nutmeg?

• Advertisement

So in other words they are about as useful for getting high as nutmeg?
    Complete waste of time, you need to prepare it, it tastes like arse and doesn't get you high. It's one of the last drugs I ever bought in the headshop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

blue rizlas.........

ScumLord wrote: »
    Complete waste of time, you need to prepare it, it tastes like arse and doesn't get you high. It's one of the last drugs I ever bought in the headshop.

I never tried it myself, but from reading various forums it seems it is very hit or miss.

Autumn time in any sheep field in ireland FTW. Let`s see if Dermot Ahern can stop those little guys growing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

This country is becoming more and more patethic with each week that passes. Small minded mentality is the driving force behind this government, bringing in legislation to appease piss poor excuses for parents who think they have a right to dictate what kind of business can and can't open, because they can't maturely talk to their kids about these issues. The mentality of these cretins is "get rid of it so I don't have to talk about it".

The mentality of the government is "we'll never win the "war on drugs" so lets hit the soft target instead". Add to that that they blatantly ignore a legal high that kills 2 million+ people a year because its taxed and because half of these bastards are running pubs themselves. Hey, they even cut the price of it in the last budget so you can drink yourself to death faster. And they'll doom a couple of generations to a lifetime of debt for the sake of the ****ing banks, but woe betide you want to get high instead of pissed off your face.

We've got a health service that is turning out to be a vile, grossly mismanaged and dangerous entity, headed up by an equally vile and dangerous creature called Mary Harney. And all they can concentrate on is a few little products that normal adults were enjoying in their droves up until Joe Duffy and his clueless ****ing granny squad stuck their noses where they weren't wanted and had no right being.

Its come to a point where I'm personally ashamed to hold an Irish passport or call myself a citizen of this small minded, backwards cesspit. So much so that I'm considering handing back my passport and getting a Dutch one (dual nationality is a great option to have :)). Then when the time comes, I can go somewhere that has the right idea of how to allow its taxpaying adult citizens their free choice of how to live and enjoy themselves, without a whinging "know **** all" granny in sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Guys,

I'm guessing that the majority of people posting on this topic are under 30, you guys will just have to accept that Head Shops have no future here. You can always grow your own stuff, but the Head Shops will be finished very soon.

Don't you see the contradiction here? I passed my local headshop today and business is booming because everyone did indeed start growing their own, and now they need to buy nutrients, lights,certain building materials all specific to growing weed. All these items you can buy in Woodies or B&Q or wherever, but the head shops sell them in packages for growing plants indoors.

Btw I don't grow it or smoke it, and I'm 30.

i always think the catholic church and de valera brainwashed an entire generation, the smart ones emigrated. all this crap today stems from that sheep generation.. :confused:

hey joe, WHAT, bang bang, Slumping sound thud hits the ground...............take our freedoms we'll take yours..........:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Guys,

What does age have to do with it exactly? Any time I've heard any of the older community members spearheading the campaigns against the headshops they weren't speaking with the greatest knowledge or coherence (read:talking total cobblers) on the subject. As for growing your own, have you been following the thread at all? The latest release from the government revealed that this is exactly what they intend to stop.

These are also the best drugs the headshop made, there's been no man made recreational drugs of note other than MDMA.
    Eh? LSD, the entire 2c-(x) class, speed, and heroin are synthetic or semi-sythetic drugs, and that's just naming a few. They may not be to everyone's taste but they're very prevalent and pretty noteworthy by my standards.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Eh? LSD, the entire 2c-(x) class, speed, and heroin are synthetic or semi-sythetic drugs, and that's just naming a few. They may not be to everyone's taste but they're very prevalent and pretty noteworthy by my standards.
    LSD is good, don't know how I forgot about that one. Heroin comes from a plant. Speed is pants.

• Advertisement

LSD is good, don't know how I forgot about that one. Heroin comes from a plant. Speed is pants.

Aren't speed and MDMA the bones of a good ecstasy pill? Ephedrine could probably be just as good as a natural alternative, but that's illegal too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BUGS_DRUNNY

So u dont rate 4-mmc,MDVP,methylone,MDBD?

Aren't speed and MDMA the bones of a good ecstasy pill? Ephedrine could probably be just as good as a natural alternative, but that's illegal too.
    Speed is just like really strong coffee is my point it's not a buzz.
    So u dont rate 4-mmc,MDVP,methylone,MDBD?
    Don't know that I've tried them, nothing I got out of the headshop was much better than speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

I would be interested to know where you buy your coffee from:)

1210m5g wrote: »

I would be interested to know where you buy your coffee from:)
    Drug dealers. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Don't know that I've tried them,

give pure mephedrone a try and you will change you tune, its a drug for every occasion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I doubt very much that when it comes to booting those idiots out, that banning Head Shops will have had much to do with it.

Electorally they would have got a boost from this ban....but they are screwed because of their incompetence on the economy. Do you seriously think FG are going to row back on the ban....not in a million years. Dr James Reilly wants even more stringent laws on so called legal highs.

FF is the same as FG as far as I'm concerned. I was going to vote Labour or Sinn Fein but I want to know about their policy towards drugs first.

It can feel very hopeless sometimes living in Ireland. Muppets are running the show and it feels like the only way out is to emigrate, but that would be giving the muppets an easy victory and this is precisely what they have been doing since the 1920s :/

Heroin is synthesised from plant-based morphine; it is a man-made drug and you won't find it occurring naturally anywhere on this planet, not unlike MDMA which is derived from safrole. Amphetamines mighn't be your thing but plenty of people, myself included, like stimulants, and if you're into your stims you'll love speed.

2C-B is a psychedelic described in simple terms as a cross between LSD and MDMA, which you'd probably enjoy judging by your drugs of preference. This is just the tip of the iceberg - there are hundreds of psychoactive semi-synthetic tryptamines and phenethylamines that have been rated highly by experienced drug users. You might not have tried many man-made drugs you've liked but that doesn't mean they're not there in abundance.

Augmerson wrote: »
    FF is the same as FG as far as I'm concerned. I was going to vote Labour or Sinn Fein but I want to know about their policy towards drugs first.

Well, regarding Sinn Fein, their members have been leading some of the anti headshop campaigns around the country. Also Aongus o snodaigh has had a lot to do with the introduction of the "Psychoactive Substances Bill". I`m not sure if Labour are any different to the rest.

The uk green party has this on their website. The irish greens have no such views.

http://www.greenparty.org.uk/policies/health.html

"The Green party accepts the reality of drug use and strives to minimize harm, both to user and to society. Cannabis can be an effective pain relief treatment for patients with incurable conditions and as such it should be re-legalised. Studies show that in countries such as Holland, where cannabis is decriminalized, use is much lower than in the UK. Prohibition means there is no mechanism for controlling the strength of ecstasy or cocaine and this has directly resulted in deaths. Inside a legal framework, drugs would not contain dangerous impurities and doctors would be better placed to offer help. Heroin should be treated as a public health issue and funding for research into halting addiction should be released. "

Well howsabout that then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I think we should have the same sort of legislation that Holland has in terms of "psychoactive substances". I mean cannabis has less of an impact on someone than alcohol.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement