Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More on the "Psychoactive Substances" bill

Options
  • 03-06-2010 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

More on this new 'Psychoactive substances" bill from Dermot Ahern.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Psychoactive_Substances_GS_Bill.pdf/Files/Psychoactive_Substances_GS_Bill.pdf

Tobacco and alcohol,foods,poisons are all exempt of course.
    Pipes, bongs, cultivation supplies are all in this. Scary stuff.

http://www.examiner.ie/breakingnews/ireland/ahern-drafting-new-law-to-combat-head-shops-460289.html
    Justice Minister Dermot Ahern is preparing laws that he hopes will put head shops out of business for good.

While last month's ban on a range of products shut many of them immediately, dozens have re-opened with new products or using different brand names or ingredients.

Minister Ahern is now drafting legislation - the General Scheme of the Criminal Justice (Psychoactive Substances) Bill - that would effectively outlaw any shop selling any form of a psycho-active substance.

"Under the proposed Scheme, the sale or supply of substances which are not specifically proscribed under the Misuse of Drugs Acts, but which have psychoactive effects, for human consumption will be a criminal offence," Minister Ahern said in a statement.

"The Scheme will give appropriate powers to the Garda Síochána and the courts to intervene quickly to prevent outlets from selling these products by way of appropriate prohibition orders.

"The Scheme will also contain full search and seizure powers for the Gardaí and Revenue’s Customs Service."

Minister Ahern said the bill was part of the Government’s "multi-pronged" approach targeting the activities of head shops.

And he hopes to have the new laws passed in the next month or so.

"I am pleased that the recent ban on the sale of substances such as mephedrone has had a very significant effect on the operations of head shops," Minister Ahern said.

"However, I am conscious that further action is necessary to deal with the emergence of potentially dangerous new substances not covered by the ban.

" Accordingly, I am proposing the Criminal Justice (Psychoactive Substances) Bill to ensure that the criminal law and the Gardaí can deal quickly and effectively with those who sell psychoactive substances for human consumption.

"The Bill is being drafted as a matter of priority and I look forward to publication and enactment of the Bill as soon as possible."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

*deep breath*

FUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

*Exhales and lights cigarette* Te deedle dum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Love this part of the bill....
    "“place” means a physical location and includes—
    (a) a building or structure of any kind,
    (b) a vessel, whether sea-going or not,
    (c) an aircraft, whether capable of operation or not, and
    (d) a hovercraft;"

Somebodies been watching too much 24....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I'd love to know what he thinks about all the extra business that drug dealers have been getting in recent weeks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

We can't even get sh*tfaced anymore without FF sticking their oar in.

I wish they'd ever fack off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Jay P wrote: »
    I'd love to know what he thinks about all the extra business that drug dealers have been getting in recent weeks...

...and the savings they have made not buying petrol or firelighters.

Add that amount to the tax they don't pay & you would have a nice little amount to hide in the mattress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Love this part of the bill....
    "“place” means a physical location and includes—
    (a) a building or structure of any kind,
    (b) a vessel, whether sea-going or not,
    (c) an aircraft, whether capable of operation or not, and
    (d) a hovercraft;"

Somebodies been watching too much 24....:D

What the hell am I going to do with this fleet of hovercrafts now? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Shulgin wrote: »
    Ah, ffs.

Somebody stop this country. I want off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Are they seriously going to ban the sale of bongs etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Pin_Cushion

All the scrambling going on with this legislation is embarrassing, three times now they've changed/add to it in three months?

they need to cop on and realize that they're playing an endless game of cat and mouse. If they're that desperate to control people they should just introduce a "misuse of your brain" act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

Goodshape wrote: »
    Ah, ffs.

Where is the emergency brake?

• Advertisement

Meh, I don't use bongs anymore and everyone has their contacts for proper drugs back so i'm happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Woow_Aqualung

gazzer wrote: »
    Are they seriously going to ban the sale of bongs etc?
    Make your own out of a Lucozade bottle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Goodshape wrote: »
    Ah, ffs.

Quote of the year. Maybe even decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Pin_Cushion

How is it possible to ban bongs or pipes unless you ban all bottles, all tube-like things, pens, I have MacGyvered improvised smoking devices out of practically everything in my kitchen.

Embarrassing, hapless government.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

How the hell am I going to grow my tomatoes in the winter now??:mad:

ffs, one of the most stupid laws ever.

Time to shake the gates!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Shulgin wrote: »

Where does it say this?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

They should ban bottles too, because you can makes bongs out of them.

Honestly tho, with all the interest in keeping the shops open etc. why dont we do something about it rather than talking about it on a forum. Lets protest and show the gov. that we arent just gonna sit back and take their nazi ways like we have done the past few years. This country is full of pussies who dont step up for the cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Abrasax

mikom wrote: »
    Where does it say this?

4) sale of certain objects (part 4) on page 7.

Abrasax wrote: »
    4) sale of certain objects (part 4) on page 7.

Gotcha, thanks.
    Head 4 Sale of certain objects.
    Provide that:
    (1) A person who sells any object knowing or being reckless as to whether it will be used to cultivate anything in contravention of section 17 of the Misuse of Drugs Act 1977 by hydroponic means shall be guilty of an offence.
    (2) Where a person is guilty of an offence under subhead (1), the court may, in addition to or as an alternative to any other penalty, order that the person shall not, for such period as the court may specify, but not exceeding 2 years, sell any object that may be used to cultivate plants by hydroponic means.
    (3) A person who fails to comply with the terms of an order under subhead (2) shall be guilty of an offence.
    (4) A person who sells any pipe, utensil or other object made or adapted for use in connection with the consumption of a controlled drug or psychoactive substance knowing or being reckless as to whether it will be so used shall be guilty of an offence.
    (5) For the purposes of subheads (1) and (4) a person is reckless if his or her acts are such that a reasonable person would realise that the object sold by him or her will be used for a purpose mentioned in those subheads.

This is bollox.
    "by hydroponic means" me hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The following will be on the list of banned substance (because they are psychoactives):

Lettuce
    Nutmeg
    Morning Glory seeds
    Alcohol
    Peyote/San Pedro Cactus
    Caffeine
    Nicotine

Or are they going to specifically exclude these?

Oh yeah, and catnip too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Jicked

Specifically excluded as Joe Duffy hasn't kicked up a fuss over them, and Ireland is one big Joe Show now, baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

Confab wrote: »
    The following will be on the list of banned substance (because they are psychoactives):

Lettuce
    Nutmeg
    Morning Glory seeds
    Alcohol
    Peyote/San Pedro Cactus
    Caffeine
    Nicotine

Or are they going to specifically exclude these?

I think these are excluded because the politicians couldn't live without them.
    Hypocrites.

Confab wrote: »

Lettuce

Yeah there's a new variety out called rocket......... supposed to blow the head off ya.

All those Hooka lovers beware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Anything to guarantee the Joe Duffy brigade votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I only buy bongs for tobacco though!

While being a total lie, it makes a simple loophole.

(4) A person who sells any pipe, utensil or other object made or adapted for use in connection with the consumption of a controlled drug or psychoactive substance knowing or being reckless as to whether it will be so used shall be guilty of an offence.

So if someone sells a pipe to someone who makes it into a bong they can be charged with an offence?!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Meh, I don't use bongs anymore and everyone has their contacts for proper drugs back so i'm happy.

I'm surprised that they haven't banned rolly papers.. sure what percentage of those sold are used to smoke weed? I'd say it's about 95% these days

They really haven't a clue

So if someone sells a pipe to someone who makes it into a bong they can be charged with an offence?!

Yes, if the person selling it knew the other was going to use it for "drug" purposes.

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    Yes, if the person selling it knew the other was going to use it for "drug" purposes.
    Is that not hard to prove, though?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement