Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth - how long is the climb?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Had a go on the way home this evening. 10m36 Yay! That's another 55sec off my best time from the Howth hillclimb TT 6 weeks ago... :cool:

You'll be sub ten in no time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Nice one cdaly!

@Raam After I left you yesterday , I also had a go - alas 10:45 & totally wrecked and over 90 secs slower than on the howth tt. No legs at all for the last 500m or so. Mind you back down in 05:30 which was a bit of a record for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

got a PB in Howth yesterday up to Irish Times sign at Summit from where the last TT started. 7:56. think that shaved 20secs off the time I did it in the TT so pretty chuffed. would love to get it down below 7:30. loads more training and attempts I guess plus knock off a few more kg and it's very doable.

got a PB in Howth yesterday up to Irish Times sign at Summit from where the last TT started. 7:56. think that shaved 20secs off the time I did it in the TT so pretty chuffed. would love to get it down below 7:30. loads more training and attempts I guess plus knock off a few more kg and it's very doable.

Good time, when ya gonna start racing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

well hopefully will join Swords CC (your club of which I hear you're top dog when you come out) and race next yr. hope to keep my weight down over the winter and the fitness up. usually it's the reverse as the GAA season would be finishing up and i'd do nothing in terms of cardio so would be outta shape bigtime come feb/march. but for the past month or 2 i've been tracking my diet online with myfitnesspal and it's definitely working. makes me think twice about eating things i shouldn't be and i've lot 3kg so happy with that. must keep it up now for the winter months.

• Advertisement

well hopefully will join Swords CC (your club of which I hear you're top dog when you come out) and race next yr. hope to keep my weight down over the winter and the fitness up. usually it's the reverse as the GAA season would be finishing up and i'd do nothing in terms of cardio so would be outta shape bigtime come feb/march. but for the past month or 2 i've been tracking my diet online with myfitnesspal and it's definitely working. makes me think twice about eating things i shouldn't be and i've lot 3kg so happy with that. must keep it up now for the winter months.

Oh I'm far from top dog! I just got lucky last year. There are plenty there who can whoop me. The league is good fun, you will enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VR46

Saw this thread and decided to give it a lash.

I'm not much of a cyclist so was happy just to make it to the top. Gonna try and break 9 minutes next week.
    Who are these super-human manbeasts that can do it in under 5 minutes :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VR46

VR46 wrote: »
    Saw this thread and decided to give it a lash.

I'm not much of a cyclist so was happy just to make it to the top. Gonna try and break 9 minutes next week.
    Who are these super-human manbeasts that can do it in under 5 minutes :eek:

9.00 today. Felt like sh*t right from the start so happy with it.

New goal of 8.40 before xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Would this be timed from a rolling start or from a standing start?
    Sorry if I don't have the jargon correct.

For a proper TT, a standing start. Ideally held by someone. If you are doing it on your own, just roll up slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

What's the exact TT route you do lads?

Start

Finish on the main road at the wall behind the shop at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

... will give it a go tonight or tomorrow so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Allowme to record the first (and probably slowest) ascent of the mighty col d'Howth.

10:26

I'm blaming (in no particular order)

Christmas indulgences
    Six week lay off due injury
    Lack of any kind of climbing ability whatsoever

'hoping for a strong westerly wind to blow me up it quicker the next time

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭FuzzyDunlop100

Does anyone have any idea how steep the gradient is on the Howth climb at Balglass Road (ie, the horrendously steep part after taking the right turn at the church) from the Harbour side?.

It's a great hill for training, but, it's just evil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Does anyone have any idea how steep the gradient is on the Howth climb at Balglass Road (ie, the horrendously steep part after taking the right turn at the church) from the Harbour side?.

It's a great hill for training, but, it's just evil!

I think it works up to 15% at the hard corner then levels out to 8% after. Was on it yesterday until my gears sh*t themselves

Ummm really naive/ignorant question now, but in terms of the Tour de France, what sort of gradients would those stages in the Pyrenees/Alps be? say, Alpe D'Huez? Mt Ventoux?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

blobbie wrote: »

Cheers for that, i'll have a closer look at that site later.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

First time on a climb since I was, I think, 15-16 (35 now). Left home today and decided to try the Howth Ring (been cycling on and off for the last month and a half).

I only had to stop 4 times and nearly cried once. And it was from the Sutton side! I nearly gave up after 500-600 meters. Then after the "plateau" I thought: ****, it will be quite tough to go back now too, so I better continue.

Anyways, after what it felt like 2 hours on the bike, 4 stops and one bottle of water, I made it to the summit (the Irish Times logo). Oh the joy! The next part going down was easier, though.

7 minutes???? are you f*****g kidding me???????????????

• Advertisement

No! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Was out in Howth on Tues.
    Did the Sutton side then down into the village.
    A quick turnaround and up thru the village making sure to keep left at the church.
    Saw a cyclist ahead of me but just took my own pace.
    Caught the cyclist about half way up.
    They were really mashing a big gear.
    Gave the cusory 'Howya' as I passed
    Then I heard the sound of gears changing and then what I can only describe as an attack.
    The attack lasted for about 200 metres before they started to swing and a small change in my cadence started to reel them back in.
    Was about 10 mtres form their wheel at the top when they swung off up to the summit car park.
    Was really looking forward to the downhill hill with them.Ah well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

First time on a climb since I was, I think, 15-16 (35 now). Left home today and decided to try the Howth Ring (been cycling on and off for the last month and a half).

I only had to stop 4 times and nearly cried once. And it was from the Sutton side! I nearly gave up after 500-600 meters. Then after the "plateau" I thought: ****, it will be quite tough to go back now too, so I better continue.

Anyways, after what it felt like 2 hours on the bike, 4 stops and one bottle of water, I made it to the summit (the Irish Times logo). Oh the joy! The next part going down was easier, though.

Well done. That's it. That's the hard part done. Next time will feel 100% easier. You'll be passing the places you stopped and saying to yourself 'No way I'm stopping now' so you'll know you're improving. I'd say the 10min mark, is a good spot to aim for. After a few weeks you'll probably do it or at least be quite close (depending on the wind) Keep it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I met a chap on Thursday last coming up the Sutton side on a recumbent. Would that be a lot more difficult than on a standard bike?

...and while on the subject of Howth, why is the full lap from Sutton Cross back to Sutton Cross referred to on the STRAVA segment as a "1/2 Lap"? Wouldn't it be a full lap?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

Did it from the Sutton side for the first time yesterday and enjoyed it. Found it a lot easier than it looks when your in the car to be honest

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

bcmf wrote: »
    Then I heard the sound of gears changing and then what I can only describe as an attack.
    Always great when this happens.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Only new to cycling :) done the sutton route today (hard) :( great experience! cant wait to improve my cycling fitness and have a few more efforts......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

How does Howth compare with going from Greystones to Bray on the coast road?

There's a fairly big/longish climb out of Greystones which I find much harder than going from Bray to Greystones!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

bcmf wrote: »
    Was out in Howth on Tues.
    Did the Sutton side then down into the village.
    A quick turnaround and up thru the village making sure to keep left at the church.
    Saw a cyclist ahead of me but just took my own pace.
    Caught the cyclist about half way up.
    They were really mashing a big gear.
    Gave the cusory 'Howya' as I passed
    The attack lasted for about 200 metres before they started to swing and a small change in my cadence started to reel them back in.
    Was about 10 mtres form their wheel at the top when they swung off up to the summit car park.
    Was really looking forward to the downhill hill with them.Ah well!!

So you lost the race to the top then?

• Advertisement
Advertisement