Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth - how long is the climb?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

What sort of time did you do to the right of the church? Last time I tried it it took 12 min including a 1 min gasp for breath stop...

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭f1_jb

Man this brings back memories, I even went looking for my training diary for 1988 when I did a TT up here when I was in Les Jeunes CC, haven't found it yet but would love to see what time I did.

I used to train on Howth in Jan & Feb before the season started and the closer you would get to the start the more laps I would do, max being 6 laps all starting as the church in sutton and doing 3 in each direction. Oh to be fit again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

cdaly_ wrote: »
    What sort of time did you do to the right of the church? Last time I tried it it took 12 min including a 1 min gasp for breath stop...
    I didnt time it sorry, and we took a second right after the getting over the steep section, which goes up again, whereas if you follow the road it levels off for bit. I ll try it next week and see

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

f1_jb wrote: »
    Man this brings back memories, I even went looking for my training diary for 1988 when I did a TT up here when I was in Les Jeunes CC, haven't found it yet but would love to see what time I did.

I used to train on Howth in Jan & Feb before the season started and the closer you would get to the start the more laps I would do, max being 6 laps all starting as the church in sutton and doing 3 in each direction. Oh to be fit again!

Hook up with Swords , half of he club seems to have been in Les Jeunes at some stage.....

Suppose you don't if Ritchie Beatty is ok ?

@kennyb3: Let us know when, I might join you...

• Advertisement

9.08 today.

Was doing a gentle recovery spin, and decided to try one effort over howth. 32 seconds off my previous best on my own, and 1.22 off my first effort a month or so ago.

need to be fresher to break 9

@cdaly, no problem will let you know next day im out

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

A recovery spin with a hill TT thrown in? ;)

Raam wrote: »
    A recovery spin with a hill TT thrown in? ;)
    i know know, i just couldnt resist!! after what you did to my legs yesterday it was like a recovery ride.did i see you out in rapha gear? i was head down, so didnt catch the bike but thought it might have been you.

I was out but not in Rapha. I was in Capo gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Had a go on the way home from work last night. Went from the white line opposite the school at the entrance to the football pitch to the white wall with the irish times sign - hope this is the correct distance. Anyway more or less killed myself but stayed in the saddle for 9:41 - might be able to do a bit better with improved pacing on the first climb, probaby should also try take more advantage of the flat/down sections. I decided to time myself on the way back down - 6:25. Not as big a difference as I would have expected but I think the wind was behind me on the first part of the climb. Next target is 9:30 on a less windy day. Hat's off to you sub nine minute folks.

• Advertisement

id imagine it was you so, not too many tall skinny guys wearing black kit around. i was going up as you were coming down.

Did Howth village to summit first (left at church). 11m39 mainly in 30x28.

Then did the Sutton side from the line to the shop. 14m06! Started in 30x28 but later in the climb went to 30x24 and even 30x21 for a bit.

No way I'm turning right at the church until I can take the left in 30x21...
    Two goes over the top this morning.

Sutton side, 11m59. Yay! Did that climb in 30x19 or better and in the saddle the whole way. :D

Howth side, 10m40. Nother yay! Did that one in 30x21 for most of the way. Standing for the steep bit by the church and then dropped to 30x24 for recovery for a spell. Back into 30x21 for the rest. :D

Dunno about you lot but I'm impressed...:cool:

Up at the summit, I was standing by the bike eating a bit of gur cake when an older gentleman walking by on the other side of the road calls over: "You're not smoking are you? That'll kill you..." 'sif I'd be capable of smoking after that climb... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Timmah!

I feckin love gur cake!

Two goes over the top this morning.

Sutton side, 11m59. Yay! Did that climb in 30x19 or better and in the saddle the whole way. :D

Howth side, 10m40. Nother yay! Did that one in 30x21 for most of the way. Standing for the steep bit by the church and then dropped to 30x24 for recovery for a spell. Back into 30x21 for the rest. :D

And again this morning.

Sutton side 12m00. Boo, gained a second.

Howth side, 9m39. Yay! cut 61 seconds of yesterday's time! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

And again this morning.

Sutton side 12m00. Boo, gained a second.

Howth side, 9m39. Yay! cut 61 seconds of yesterday's time! :cool:

Or another way to look at it.

Sutton side, maintained consistent level

Howth side, Yay! (can't really add to that!!!)

3 climbs last night, none at full effort as legs werent up to it

- village to the summit keeping left at the church – 7.33 (spun easy, no out of the saddle)

- Then down Sutton side and back up – 10.10 (my best is 9.06 and my first TT up it was 10.40 so to just spin up easy in this time on tired legs is very pleasing)

- Down into the village, this time right at the church and up that horifically steep part to summit - 7.40 - had only done it once before first time on my own. felt alot easier, happiest with this one.

Met DirkVodoo at the top too, wearing his boards jacket, out doing some sneaky training - good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Met DirkVodoo at the top too, wearing his boards jacket, out doing some sneaky training - good man.

He was avoiding the club TT. Wimp!

Lumen wrote: »
    He was avoiding the club TT. Wimp!

Totally stung.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Went up on Friday - instead of having a strong wind behind me, it was against. Took two minutes longer - 11:40 - than last week. Wasn't at my best having had a beer at lunch time. Back down was over a minute faster at 5:16. Will have another go next week - I'll be slow but resplendent in my new gear - thanks Cramcycle.

Did 9mins on the dot this afternoon, was tired after 85k with the club yesterday but still disappointed i couldnt break 9mins. gave it socks and sweat was flowing off me. bit of a wind against tho which might be the only consolation. seem to have found my level now, going to be hard to get down to 8.20-30 which is the aim.

would love to try it on a lighter bike, mine is circa 11kg and has rubbish wheels on it. lot of flex.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Have been reading this with interest as have been using Howth Hill to improve climbing abilities, don't have seconds on my cateye but made it from the junction of Strand Road and Carrickbarack Rd to the the summit just past Irish Times sign in just over 12mins. That any good? Went down and did it again in 13 then. Was out about 6.30-7.30 if anyone else was about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Just to clarify: Howth side = from village and Sutton side = from crossroads I approach from the cycle path?

I saw what looked like an astro pitch on my left, before the graveyard, but I couldn't find a white line.

Dirk, go up past the astro and as the road starts rising there is a small school on right and a grass football pitch on the left. just at this pitch there is a bus stop, there is a small one foot line that comes out of the pavement on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Dirk, go up past the astro and as the road starts rising there is a small school on right and a grass football pitch on the left. just at this pitch there is a bus stop, there is a small one foot line that comes out of the pavement on the left.

Here's the start/finish ( Lap 2).. Didn't bother posting this last week as i'm getting SLOWER! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Just to clarify: Howth side = from village and Sutton side = from crossroads I approach from the cycle path?

I saw what looked like an astro pitch on my left, before the graveyard, but I couldn't find a white line.

I think you were at the astro pitch which is just past the church (Santa sabina school has an astro pitch) the start line is Here , go past the astro pitch, through the tfaffic lights and the the start line is at the pedestrian entrance to the football pitches, which are on your left as you cycle past the primary school (primary school is on the right)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

10m17s tonite as part of 95k spin. While this is not in the 'medals' category I was pretty pleased.
    I like these type of climbs because I can push myself hard and actually feel like I am moving, whereas on something steep like three rock I always feel stationary.
    I reckon I can do this faster as I messed up in the downhill bit in the middle and took too long getting the right gear.
    Anyway gorgeous evening for a cycle.

I have to say that I am highly impressed by the coastal cycle lane out to Howth x roads. Just lovely cycling by the bay.

Good man ROK ON, faster than my first go, so you defo underplay your climbing abilities. its defo a nice spin out that way. let me know if you are heading out on the same spin again, was so tempted to PM you but really needed a night off after 6 days in row.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Good man ROK ON, faster than my first go, so you defo underplay your climbing abilities. its defo a nice spin out that way. let me know if you are heading out on the same spin again, was so tempted to PM you but really needed a night off after 6 days in row.

If I don't go on that early morning spin on Monday, BK, I'll drop you a text for a couple of laps of Howth in the afternoon. I'll be itching to bring the Canyon up to the Summit!

ROK ON wrote: »
    10m17s tonite as part of 95k spin. While this is not in the 'medals' category I was pretty pleased.
    I like these type of climbs because I can push myself hard and actually feel like I am moving, whereas on something steep like three rock I always feel stationary.
    I reckon I can do this faster as I messed up in the downhill bit in the middle and took too long getting the right gear.
    Anyway gorgeous evening for a cycle.

I have to say that I am highly impressed by the coastal cycle lane out to Howth x roads. Just lovely cycling by the bay.

Howth is a good climb to do if you can chase someone else in order to keep the motivation up. It's not so steep that a climber type can float away. Someone with a lot of power can do well there.

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    Howth is a good climb to do if you can chase someone else in order to keep the motivation up. It's not so steep that a climber type can float away. Someone with a lot of power can do well there.

Rok On, just dont try chase this skinny fecker up is my advice

Advertisement