Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth - how long is the climb?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Here are the first three for the 1997 DWCC Howth Hill climb.
    This was up the harbour side from the church to the Summit. (Summit Inn).

1. John Kelly 3'54"
    2.Eoin McGovern 3'56"
    3. Ken Norgrove 3'58"

I don't think these guys noticed they were going up hill.

Surely to god that isn't possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

It's about a 30kph average. The only steep bit is the very start. You can hammer like a good thing after that. It's about 2km to the top so not too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

the 31b bus doesnt even go up the hill in 3 minutes. You can probably roll down it in 3 minutes after a good nite in the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Raam wrote: »
    It's about a 30kph average. The only steep bit is the very start. You can hammer like a good thing after that. It's about 2km to the top so not too long.
    I will only believe it when I am there holding the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Surely the route must have been shorter in '98?

The current best times are in the region of 7:30 and are presumably on light carbon rigs which were less common in '98.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

chakattack wrote: »
    The current best times are in the region of 7:30 and are presumably on light carbon rigs which were less common in '98.

A few grams isn't going to save a whole minute, but the drugs were certainly better in '98. ;)

chakattack wrote: »
    Surely the route must have been shorter in '98?

I did my best time on an alu frame. Those riders are a whole lot better than me. I can't vouch for how they compare to Mr Skeff, since he is also a whole lot better than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amused2death

It aint called the race of truth for nothing. The times recorded for both the village side TT and the graveyard side TT were part of the DWCC summer club leagues with start and finish official time keepers. The times recorded are simply a reflection of the level of fitness of the respective riders at the time. If more clubs used the hill for TTs you would see more competitive times being recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

took me 12 minutes from the cemetry/school side to the summit this morning. anyone got tips on shaving 5 minutes off my time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

9.20 tonight - 2 weeks off the bike and took 50seconds off my previous time:confused:

There is a couple of valid reasons though:

- started at right spot tonight (about 100m further back last time)
    - good wind assistance tonight (shouldnt admit that one)
    - fresh legs - i ride too hard too often which im not going to do after the injury now

very happy with that esp given im on a giant defy 4 with stock wheels, the thing ways a tonne (exaggeration). can still drop from 11'5 to under 11 stone too so plenty of scope for improvement. will have another go in few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amused2death

Throw out a few super fast TT times & a challenging circuit and what is the response...? Howth becomes alive with riders testing themselves against the clock. Personal best? or maybe benchmarking themselves against the the uphill speed merchants. Either way the hill is back in business. Keep up the good work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

kennyb3 wrote: »
    9.20 tonight - 2 weeks off the bike and took 50seconds off my previous time:confused:

There is a couple of valid reasons though:

- started at right spot tonight (about 100m further back last time)
    - good wind assistance tonight (shouldnt admit that one)
    - fresh legs - i ride too hard too often which im not going to do after the injury now

very happy with that esp given im on a giant defy 4 with stock wheels, the thing ways a tonne (exaggeration). can still drop from 11'5 to under 11 stone too so plenty of scope for improvement. will have another go in few weeks

Myself and macanri went Church side up (left) x 2 tonight - pity we didn't know you were out - did you see us? I didn't time it, be interesting to see what time I could do though. Hopefully less than 5 min anyway

christeb wrote: »
    Myself and macanri went Church side up (left) x 2 tonight - pity we didn't know you were out - did you see us? I didn't time it, be interesting to see what time I could do though. Hopefully less than 5 min anyway
    havent timed the other side at all, or even rode up it really - only tried the way up to the right which hurts but until i get up it satisifactorily i ll persist with that way. mainly go up the other side because going on straight at sutton suits me and the roads into howth village are pure rubbish. i must try it tho.

No didnt see you, i was only there till 6.45 or so tho - was only a short spin, was meant to be taking it easy after being injured (im useless).

i ll meet you's next week or week after.

I might do a swifty or two after work tomorrow if anyone is around.

I might do a swifty or two after work tomorrow if anyone is around.
    would love to watch you zoom off into the distance, but a mate is home from england so that + world cup = few pints. definitely some other time ( i usually do it monday and thursday nights around half 6). you going to try it on your good bike this time?

would love to watch you zoom off into the distance, but a mate is home from england so that + world cup = few pints. definitely some other time. you going to try it on your good bike this time?

The first DWCC TT I used the good bike. I'll just be rolling around tomorrow.

Cool, i ll possibly catch you the next time

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jspruit

Will anyone post an exact route from their GPS showing start, finish, and everything in between with elevation?

jspruit wrote: »
    Will anyone post an exact route from their GPS showing start, finish, and everything in between with elevation?
    See post 56 above

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jspruit

See post 56 above

Thanks for that-not too familiar with Garmin website so needed the tip regarding 'laps' breakdown. Will look forward to trying this out over the next few weeks and maybe see some boards riders out there. Usually I get to the summit overlook parking lot from the Howth Harbour side so this will be different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Maybe someone in the know could make up one of the league tables to compare times between boards users, i got 10.30 the other day and am hoping to break ten minutes in the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

After the XC champs this weekend, I'll head over some evening (when the wind isn't too bad) and give it a go. I'll post something before hand if a few want to try together - always a bit easier if you can concoct a race situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ten speed racer

After the XC champs this weekend, I'll head over some evening (when the wind isn't too bad) and give it a go. I'll post something before hand if a few want to try together - always a bit easier if you can concoct a race situation.

You'll have to wear your National Champion's jersey. It would be kinda cool getting my ass kicked by the national champion. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I am heartened that I managed to beat the time of one of the Dublin Wheelers but it was probably blowing a gale in their face that day. Either that or he is about seventy.

First off, I'm enjoying the thread. I'm a regular browser but don't post here..

Anyway, last November in my training for the Irish (Judo) Open I was using Howth Head for my conditioning..

On the sissy side of the hill, near the first car park and ol' lad on a war horse went sprinting past me with a "Keep it up son" (I'm 43 so you can imagine how old he was if he called me "son")...

I got off the bike and pretended something had caught my attention, motivated lost!.

Sorry just wanted to post that.. Enjoying the thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Went up and gave this a lash tonight, went from the bus stops just before the football pitch entrance, to the lamp post on the left hand side of the road after the summit shop (the next one on from the Irish Times sign on the left of the road) which is opposite the turn up to the summit car park, is that correct? I had a stationary start with one foot out at the bottom, presume TT's start that way or clipped in with someone holding you? Clocked 8:35 for 3.77km on the garmin, kept the HR high throughout, no big ring except the descent, and only stood for the last 20 metres but i'm pretty heavy (94kg) so HR soars when standing! Whens the Boards TT happening so??

Just to give a heads up -Tomorrow should be a good day for times with a westerly wind. might get out myself for couple of laps but wont be TT'ing it

I plan to be out there at about 4.30.

I plan to be out there at about 4.30.
    Cool well on day off tomorrow following small eye op so going to see how the weather is in the morning first, if i hold off till afternoon i ll pm you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Off topic, slightly.

But anyone heading up Howth today might be interested that there's been sightings of a humpback whale in the sea's off Howth head this week.

And no, its not Mary Harney out for a swim!.

Just thought I'd add this info (on the whale, both!)

• Advertisement

Thanks Raam for showing me there are many many more hills in howth than i ever realised. we rolled up over the TT course to start in 9.30 without much effort so sub 9 should be easy enough next time. we spent an hour just going up and down over the hills - my god that man can climb and fast!! With his tutorage re standing on the pedals i made it up the right at the church on the 2nd go and then we took the right again to make it extra hard. was delighted with that - know i can do it now. Good learning experience, im whacked now tho. obviously had to curse at him a few times as he blew by my like a rocket. Thanks again:)

Advertisement