Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth - how long is the climb?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

christeb wrote: »
    If I don't go on that early morning spin on Monday, BK, I'll drop you a text for a couple of laps of Howth in the afternoon. I'll be itching to bring the Canyon up to the Summit!
    Sound sure let me know, i should be recovered from TdK by then. would be interested in getting few reps. when are you due to get the bike?

I ll be heading down to howth around half 7 tonight if anyone fancies it, taking it easy enough though with race tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Sound sure let me know, i should be recovered from TdK by then. would be interested in getting few reps. when are you due to get the bike?

Have everything (albeit with standard wheels), Skeff is putting it together Thurs / Fri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 savedbythebell

Long time Lurker here, living in portmarnock, cycling about 4 months so thought id better give this a go!

Did the easy ( easy?? ) climb, 11.52, quite pleased, know i can do better, its only my 5th time up that hill, wont be my last! :eek:

Also any noobs like myself want to pair up for some spins, pm me!

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

I've been reading this thread with interest for a while now, so I headed out to Howth this morning to have a go. Started from the school side & got to the top in 7:30 on the nose. From the village side then, did it in 5:55.

There was a fairly brisk tailwind though most of the way up from school side & more or less all the way up from village side. Still, I'm happy enough, next challenge is to replicate these times in less favourable conditions.

Went back down to village side after to have a look at that road to the right of the church. Once I got over the shock of the initial ramp when I turned right, it wasn't too bad, though I lost my way further on, so didn't record a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I've been reading this thread with interest for a while now, so I headed out to Howth this morning to have a go. Started from the school side & got to the top in 7:30 on the nose. From the village side then, did it in 5:55.

There was a fairly brisk tailwind though most of the way up from school side & more or less all the way up from village side. Still, I'm happy enough, next challenge is to replicate these times in less favourable conditions.

Went back down to village side after to have a look at that road to the right of the church. Once I got over the shock of the initial ramp when I turned right, it wasn't too bad, though I lost my way further on, so didn't record a time.

Proof??? Garmin Stats? C'mon lads all these times are impressive ( at least there faster than me) but i have proof of my times...

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Proof??? Garmin Stats? C'mon lads all these times are impressive ( at least there faster than me) but i have proof of my times...
    Raam will have to be my witness to a comfortable 9.30ish, unfortunately i dont own a garmin so you ll just have to trust me. anyway whats the point in lying

Can't provide proof i'm afraid, don't have a Garmin & was out there on my own. As kennyb3 says, what's the point in lying? I'll try & bring someone with me next time, budget won't extend to a Garmin for a while yet:(.

With a 7.30 time, i hope you are in a club? and if not you should be. Out of interest what height are you and what do you weigh?

Can't provide proof i'm afraid, don't have a Garmin & was out there on my own. As kennyb3 says, what's the point in lying? I'll try & bring someone with me next time, budget won't extend to a Garmin for a while yet:(.

Do you have a mobile phone with a camera? take a photo at the start and finish. post the photo's and the IT guru's here will be able to verify the time/date of the photo's ..... garmin not required, ;)

• Advertisement

Raam will have to be my witness to a comfortable 9.30ish, unfortunately i dont own a garmin so you ll just have to trust me. anyway whats the point in lying

Don't get me wrong..i know the times are correct. I know anyone who lies about such things is only cheating themselves. But if and when i break the 7 minute barrier I want to be able to prove it to the world! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

when i break the 7 minute barrier I want to be able to prove it to the world! :D

That's why we need a Boards Howth TT.

With a 7.30 time, i hope you are in a club? and if not you should be. Out of interest what height are you and what do you weigh?

Not in a club yet, but thinking about it. I'm 170cm & I'd say at the moment just under 70kg, haven't weighed myself in a while.
    Do you have a mobile phone with a camera? take a photo at the start and finish. post the photo's and the IT guru's here will be able to verify the time/date of the photo's ..... garmin not required, ;)

Eh, I'd actually have to borrow a camera phone:o. I've been resisting the lure of new technology for a while now. A Nokia 1100 mobile, a Philips 1Gb mp3 player & a Cateye Strada bike computer - i see references to apps & Android platforms etc on this forum from time to time & go "meh". Though I do have a digital camera, suppose I could use that. Mite affect my times though as it weighs a tonne!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Lumen wrote: »

From both sides with pints in the Summit pub and chips in Wrights afterwards.

Not in a club yet, but thinking about it. I'm 170cm & I'd say at the moment just under 70kg, haven't weighed myself in a while.

Eh, I'd actually have to borrow a camera phone:o. I've been resisting the lure of new technology for a while now. A Nokia 1100 mobile, a Philips 1Gb mp3 player & a Cateye Strada bike computer - i see references to apps & Android platforms etc on this forum from time to time & go "meh". Though I do have a digital camera, suppose I could use that. Mite affect my times though as it weighs a tonne!

Ah don't worry i believe ya...7.30 is a good time.

Will i start a thread to get an idea of what month, day etc would suit people?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Anyone in Howth yesterday between 2 and 2.30? there was 3 lads at the bottom of the hill in what looked like bob sleighs with peddles I'd say thats some craic coming down the hill.

The wind was very strong yesterday but I only took 10 seconds off my time.

got up the church (left) side in ca. 6'20 on Saturday morning, in fairness there was a wind but I was expecting better than that! I think my odds on the Boards TT betfair market have shot (even higher) up :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Did the school side this morning.
    Not good, Time 10:06.51, Avg Speed 20.9km/h, Max Speed 50.4km/h, Avg HR 199bpm, Max HR 209bpm, Avg Cadence 68rpm.

I'll need to lose weight to get up it quicker, 6'6" and 98kg, I could get down to 88kg (14stone) but would take me a few months. I'm finding the cycling isn't good for losing weight in comparison to running/football, but that makes sense I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

lafors wrote: »
    I'm finding the cycling isn't good for losing weight in comparison to running/football, but that makes sense I suppose.

No, not really. Whilst it is perfectly possible to cycle lots without losing weight, you would be hard pressed to design an exercise more suited to weight loss than cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

No, not really. Whilst it is perfectly possible to cycle lots without losing weight, you would be hard pressed to design an exercise more suited to weight loss than cycling.
    It's true. Consider someone 120kgs trying to lose weight by running 40mins each day. Their knee/ankle joints would be shot within a week. Cycling on the other hand....

EDIT: And to point out the obvious. If you want to lose weight quickly you cannot ignore your diet. In fact you'll have more success focusing on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Gave this another bash tonight. Murdered myself and did it in 8:50. Just over half a minute better than my first attempt a few weeks ago. Did a good bit of mileage in the interim but no power/interval type stuff. Had lost some weight too. Did the whole thing in the drops, which I hadn't done the last time, but hardly left the saddle.

Didn't have any more in the legs (couldn't even get out of the saddle for the final push) but could knock off a small bit by pacing it a bit better and using the small ring on the second rise. Was going well in the big ring but looked down after the finish and found I was on the biggest sprocket on the back having shifted down a couple of times late on.

I am more satisfied than a gentleman pushing 40 has any right to be over something so childish. In the interest of getting my excuses in early, I mightn't be able to replicate the effort on the 17th as I will have cycled my furthest yet two days earlier on a frightening hilly course on the Orwell sportive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

i did it in a not very impressive 11,07 yesterday morning would be happy with 8,50

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭thereturn

Did this for the first time this morning. Disappointed with my 10'56 must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Well I was happy with my 11'56 this evening. That's a whole 4 seconds off my time and after being off the bike for a full week...

went up the Church side in ca. 5'50 during the week, I still haven't trained up with "TT side" - it's just not as much fun!

See you all mañana

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Well I was happy with my 11'56 this evening. That's a whole 4 seconds off my time and after being off the bike for a full week...

Had a go on the way home this evening. 10m36 Yay! That's another 55sec off my best time from the Howth hillclimb TT 6 weeks ago... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Had a go on the way home this evening. 10m36 Yay! That's another 55sec off my best time from the Howth hillclimb TT 6 weeks ago... :cool:

Where's the starting point? Do you finish at the irish times shop?

Starting point is a white line on the road at the entrance to the football pitches opposite the cemetary. Finish at the Irish Times sign...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

must time myself next time I'm there.

Advertisement