Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth - how long is the climb?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Raam wrote: »
    Is this the detail you are looking for?

I think this is my fastest time.

117774.PNG

Where is the "Official" start/finish for this climb?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

For the TT we did, start at the entrance to the football pitch, across from the school. Finish is across from the back wall of the shop at the top on the main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

For the TT we did, start at the entrance to the football pitch, across from the school. Finish is across from the back wall of the shop at the top on the main road.
    I think thats pretty much what id do, i start at the 2nd of 3(or maybe only 2) bus stops so maybe a few metres early but unfortunately not enough to make any significant difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I suspect I would need a calendar to measure my time but, seeing as I have a Spesh Allez, I can't resist giving this a go some evening in the next week or so. It will be depressing interesting to see just how far off a decent standard I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I figure that I need to be doing an average of 30+ kmph - getting into aero land...

I know in the UK using discs for hill climbs is not uncommon, but more for the extra stiffness (solid discs not the new style ones)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Not sure my maths is correct, but I think RAAM's chart suggests only about 850 VAM/hr for 7 minutes, which is pretty low, suggesting that aero is a significant factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Times on Howth Hill can be very misleading as the wind really does play a factor in this climb. If the wind is against then a good time is really difficult and so it is hard to compare times from different days.

Hills like Stocking Lane etc do not suffer to the same extent as they are more sheltered and of course slower average speed. To gauge yourself against others you really need to be on the same day.

Given that, of course looking at your average time will give you a good indication of where you fit into the overall. Anything under 9 minutes is very good, under 8 minutes is great, sub 7:30 is amazing quite frankly.

I remember years ago, 10 maybe, the junior tour of Ireland did a TT up it and from what I recall the winner did it in under 7 minutes, was roughly the same course.

Lumen wrote: »
    Not sure my maths is correct, but I think RAAM's chart suggests only about 850 VAM/hr for 7 minutes, which is pretty low, suggesting that aero is a significant factor.

Please turn that into English for me.

I totally agree with the wind assessment. Some days I go considerably slower for the same perceived effort. On a second running of the TT competition, everyone was slower than their previous time, bar one person who went a little faster the second time. It was generally agreed that the wind was much stronger than the last time.

Just to get this right:

HowthTT.jpg

• Advertisement

Just to get this right:

HowthTT.jpg

no, I'll get it for ya...

117819.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Please turn that into English for me.

VAM/hr = vertical ascent metres per hour, or just VAM for short

On steeper climbs the fastest cyclists can do well in excess of 1500 VAM, whereas I'd do about 1000 VAM.

As soon as the gradient drops, the VAM plummets because aero drag steals a lot of power.

Therefore, if you're climbing Howth at about 850 VAM, aero drag must be a factor, because I know how much faster you are than me.

Interesting. Some guys used skinsuits, tear drop helmets and aero bars. I must give it a go with the aero bars and new wheels, since I have none of the others.

Interesting. Some guys used skinsuits, tear drop helmets and aero bars. I must give it a go with the aero bars and new wheels, since I have none of the others.

Do it b0ll0ck naked, not material flapping in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

you know what to do, the forum demands some additions to the credit card thread

tunney wrote: »
    Do it b0ll0ck naked, not material flapping in the wind.

You do it.

You do it.

Nah - I'd just get my lad stuck in the spokes and crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

tunney wrote: »
    Nah - I'd just get my lad stuck in the spokes and crash.

Sounds like you're doing it wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

I'm still a bit confused about the exact end-point. Is this the Summit that's used in the time-trials? The next time I head out there, I wouldn't mind comparing my time against the serious cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amused2death

The start point is across from St Fintan's Primary school. The exact push off point is marked with a painted line (Not the ones you see in the middle of the road!!). The finish line is just opposite the back wall to the summit shop. One of the maps suggest the finish on the summit Inn side of the shop which is wrong. You do not make any lane changes or turns at the top. It is simply a straight run to the finish line.

I hauled my unfit ass out to Howth this evening. I am not sure that 9.45 at night is the best time to attempt this but home duties took precedence.

I managed it in 9:22.

With some actual training (I only just bought a road bike and have limited myself to Sunday morning spins), the loss of half a stone or so, some proper nutrition and hydration, donning full aero kit, not having to struggle to get my mobile phone out at the end to press stop on the stopwatch and some idea of proper gearing (I decided to follow RAAM and go small ring to the dip and big ring for the rest), I am confident that I could break 9:20. Three pints of Bulmers after the bike was deposited at home served my rehydration needs.

I am heartened that I managed to beat the time of one of the Dublin Wheelers but it was probably blowing a gale in their face that day. Either that or he is about seventy.

I may start a training log entitled Phil (for that is I) Against the Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I am not sure that 9.45 at night is the best time to attempt this but home duties took precedence.

07.30 sounds ideal. They won't even notice you were gone...

I may start a training log entitled Phil (for that is I) Against the Hill.

I like this title for a Howth TT. Getting out on the bike regularly and losing the FAT will have the biggest impact on improving climbing ability. Some older road racers are medically over weight and some are even obese and yet they can race well in the bunch (for certain licence grades). But once the road rises significantly they blow up badly. They have the power and speed to hold their own on the flat but are dead when climbing. Excess weight particularly FAT is not only a burden but it also puts excessive strain on the cardiovascular system (your ticker!) when the body is put under considerable demand like climbing.
    I reckon I have another 12lbs to burn off before I rediscover my climbing legs.

117819.jpg

I decided to give this a go this evening. I saw the white line on the road just outside the entrance to the football pitch, so i hit the lap button on my garmin and put my head down. The wind was strong and in my face ( thats my first excuse). By the time i got to the flat "plateau", my legs were in bits (second excuse) and i still had about 2klm to go. The wind was no longer in my face (not that it made much difference at this stage) so i changed into the big ring...BIG MISTAKE..had to change back to the small ring, couldn't turn the pedals!. I got to the summit and hit the lap button...my time?...wrong side of 10 minutes! well suffice to say i need more practice, need to loose more weight, lighter bike etc. etc. :(

Heres the garmin stats:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/38136205
    (the climb is LAP 2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Hmm. After my dismal efforts on the Tour of Louth, I gave howth a go this morning.

Did Howth village to summit first (left at church). 11m39 mainly in 30x28.

Then did the Sutton side from the line to the shop. 14m06! Started in 30x28 but later in the climb went to 30x24 and even 30x21 for a bit.

No way I'm turning right at the church until I can take the left in 30x21...

Results from the DWCC Howth Hill climb 1998:

1. Eoin McGovern 6'07"
    2. Brendan Hessman 6'30"
    3. Len Carrigan 6'39"

This was just posted on the Dubin Wheelers CC website when previous records were recently checked.

"how is them for apples" as Lance once said

Here are the first three for the 1997 DWCC Howth Hill climb.
    This was up the harbour side from the church to the Summit. (Summit Inn).

1. John Kelly 3'54"
    2.Eoin McGovern 3'56"
    3. Ken Norgrove 3'58"

I don't think these guys noticed they were going up hill.

Knocked 7 seconds off my previous time whohoo!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭sweetswing

Here are the first three for the 1997 DWCC Howth Hill climb.
    This was up the harbour side from the church to the Summit. (Summit Inn).

1. John Kelly 3'54"
    2.Eoin McGovern 3'56"
    3. Ken Norgrove 3'58"

I don't think these guys noticed they were going up hill.
    just shows the difference between fit and bike fit, i dont think i would be able to come down the hill at that speed:D

Advertisement