Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Cup IV - Game Time!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Odd though, I was afraid of his taller props/locks in the line-out so tried to steer my game away from that area, I even loaded my 2nd rows with heavy scrum types, but in the end he was giving me a hard time in the scrums and I was dominating the line-outs. Very odd altogether.

Tell me about it :( Set the kick to touch high and then the feckers forget how to catch. Extra 5 laps for every lost lineout!

Well played though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

crisco10 wrote: »
    What would be nice, is if each weeks team got archived. Then as part of my scouting, I could flick through previous "Teams of the week" to see which opponent players crop up most..
    No problem.
    Having flicked around, I assume its just based solely on stars gained in the match?
    Not at all actually. Each player's match stats are passed into a formula that calculates an overall 'score' (ala fantasy rugby).

So it looks like (tackles made * X) - (tackles missed *Y) + (tries scored *Z) ..... X,Y and Z are different for each position. This means that for example, a flanker will score more for a try than a centre, but a centre will score more for a turnover. The full list of multipliers are available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

No problem.

Not at all actually. Each player's match stats are passed into a formula that calculates an overall 'score' (ala fantasy rugby).

So it looks like (tackles made * X) - (tackles missed *Y) + (tries scored *Z) ..... X,Y and Z are different for each position. This means that for example, a flanker will score more for a try than a centre, but a centre will score more for a turnover. The full list of multipliers are available here.

Dave, I love it when you talk nerdy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭crisco10

Same here. Some lovely ways to analyse it all!

Its like an excel nerds wet dream. (well BR rugby is in general, but Dave takes it to a level I appreciate highly!). Just looking at weightings, where did you come up with them? very specific!

Well you're definitely gonna love this :D
    Just looking at weightings, where did you come up with them? very specific!
    For example, I know that loosehead props make an average of about 3.7 tackles per game, and miss just under 2 tackles per game.

I want an average defensive performance to amount to 0 points, so I add (1/3.7) for each tackle, and I subtract (1/2) for each missed tackle.

I'm not sure if this is the best way of approaching things, but as you say it makes for very scientific looking numbers.

• Advertisement

Fixtures are finally up for the rest of the season. Please accept ASAP.

Just a matter of fielding a team for me this week. Playing WNWIM too. pre game stats look...eh...a little one sided!

I'd be happy to deny Ladyboys a 4 try BP but not hopeful.

Complete seconds team for me too, in fact I actually bought a mediocre player for the occasion, just so I could leave my 1sts largely rested. I was quite worried when they had apparently "cracked my line-out code", but now I've apparently cracked theirs so all is well.

Currently 5-3 to the Curlies.

evidently dreamer has opted for wnwim. No such luxury for me - my fans are still pissed after a staffing 'incident' last week :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

Lost 25-20 to Polk High. The way the match went it could have been worse, the penalty count was the only thing that gave me a chance.

Unfortunately didn't set my bench properly and my sub outhalf in the match didn't have all that great kicking.

Well done Johnny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Cheers mar-z. missed the game but looking at the stats there im glad i did cause i would have been tearing my hair out!

looks like the group is getting really interesting with the fookers winning too. All to play for!!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

The 'team of the week' idea is getting a trial run for round 2 here.

I'd love to get some feedback on this one, take a poke around and see if (in your opinion any of the jerseys have been awarded unfairly.

Note that players are only considered for the exact position in which they start that day, so I don't want to hear "My tighthead played better than the winning loosehead". On the other hand, I do want to hear "My 8 played better than the winning 8", unless you're Orizio :p.

It's quite slow at the moment. It'll get sorted eventually.

Bar the slowness its pretty cool. Like the idea although it'll probably be a while before one of my lads feature. Its a rough season for the lads in this years Cup

Results are up.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wylie Luke

Hey Dave, can you post the link to the cup site again, I've serious difficulty finding it! Cheers :)

Oh yeah, bitterly dissappointed to find my no 6 at no 9, I must have really taken my eye off the ball, coupled with an experiment in some tactics and a new defensive pattern led to 74 missed tackles :(

dunno what happened, my 2nds performed better than my firsts ever have. I'm genuinely confused, my 1sts are better than my 2nds in every way, yet my seconds were freely scoring (or attempting to) all over the pitch.

Ended 33-11. I may just make my 2nds my firsts :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

evidently dreamer has opted for wnwim. No such luxury for me - my fans are still pissed after a staffing 'incident' last week :eek:

Played normal dave but all second team. Despite the hiding I only dropped one point in satisfaction levels. Took some hiding tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wylie Luke

The new contentment is a funny beast alright, I lost horendously playing normally and didn't drop at all (maybe because it was a friendly?)

Dear god, these new energy levels are making the Boards Cup difficult to approach in anyway seriously. I'm fielding a bit of a dummy team tonight. Same as most weeks at this stage. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I expect a severe drop off in the numbers for friendly tournaments next season, at least among the teams who don't opt to expand their squads to 30+ players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

I have just increased my squad to 30 and will increase to about 33 as I no always have at least 3 injured. I now have a full A & B team for the first time rather than selecting the team each time.

I like the change, makes the game even better! Note: I have 4 salary savers playing tonight so I dont expect much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

Dear god, these new energy levels are making the Boards Cup difficult to approach in anyway seriously. I'm fielding a bit of a dummy team tonight. Same as most weeks at this stage. :rolleyes:

I have a full B team out, let hope there is no last minute drama like the last match.

Leadership wrote: »
    I have a full B team out, let hope there is no last minute drama like the last match.

Well, the last minute drama worked out rather badly for me last time.:o

Full B-team with a couple of trainees getting a run out.

same here complete B team out. hope there isnt too much of a contentment hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

I am fielding a newly purchased B-side for the remainder of the boards cup and playing LTNT for at least the group stages.

Fear not, as you will all quite easily beat me !

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Eireannach

Funny, I just bought 5 new players to play B-side as well to fill out a full second team. We are all thinking alike ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

I have my B backline out with my 3 best players not playing
    Ah well

I dunno if I can afford a complete B-team. It'd be nice, but at the moment I have a bit of an overlap and it's causing a pain for sure... yet I'm losing money each week so I can't afford another two mouths to feed.

26-5 down to EoF at half time. It's not looking good. Stamina is a little better though, so might just steal a BP.

• Advertisement

26 all with about ten left. Getting interesting.

Advertisement