Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision 2010.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,564 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I take your point but let's suppose Cyprus won with the Welsh lad and it was composed by a Cypriot, would that be any less farcical? A lot of it is farcical really. :D

On your point though I think maybe that's an avenue we ought to explore. If the Irish composers can't come up with anything maybe we should look abroad. Didn't Timbaland compose the Russian winner from a few years back? We probably need to look to composers overseas to give us a dig out.

The sad thing is that the Irish entries for the last 2 years were written by foreigners ;) Swedish I think.
    I think the writer of the song should have to be from the country being represented otherwise its a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The writers / performers / dancers should really ALL have to come from the country. Otherwise you will just have attention seeking people like Justin Lee Collins whoring themselves around Europe just to try and get in to the show.

Yeah and that Canadian* Girl. What's her name?

Lets face it too many boarders in Europe that are disputed. I don't think it matters.

*Canadia has a monarchy thus it must be in europe ;) of course she was still singing in the wrong language and for the wrong country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Good luck to them Germans, they are the only ones that can afford to host it next year.
    At least it will take their minds off all the money the rest of Europe owes them and get them to bankroll us PIGS back out of the recession and spend themselves into one.

Bit of a crap song/singer though, still probably their biggest hit since 99 luft ballon.

But then there was Eva Rivas - Vicemiss Caucasus to catch the eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Steve the Mediocre

Ireland haven't been slow in retribution for our dismal points!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzHgHa0DcYA

Roll on 2011! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

Well considering that the actual award goes to the composer of the song rather than the singer it is a complete farce if the winner is non European .

I have counted ten of the 39 competing countries which are not European either. What's your point?

• Advertisement

wil wrote: »
    Good luck to them Germans, they are the only ones that can afford to host it next year.
    At least it will take their minds off all the money the rest of Europe owes them and get them to bankroll us PIGS back out of the recession and spend themselves into one.

I assumed that Germany, UK, France and Spain paid for most of the event anyway.

Don't forget that the Eurovision was made big in Ireland during a recession in 1988 and many thought Millstreet venue was mad in 1993.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Cork wrote: »
    Fair play to Germany.

Niamh has a great voice but the song was more suitable for Bunratty.

Why can't RTE get the Frank & Walters or Fred for next yaer.

We need to send a great pop tune.
    For any up and coming band it would be career suicide to enter the eurovision. If your song does not win the competition, you would not ever be taken seriously again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Steve the Mediocre

Ireland haven't been slow in retribution for our dismal points!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzHgHa0DcYA

Roll on 2011! :D

Heard this on TodayFm this morning too :eek:

For any up and coming band it would be career suicide to enter the eurovision. If your song does not win the competition, you would not ever be taken seriously again.

Yeah cause it did wonders for Niamh Kavanagh's career, but then as usual that has more to do with air play on Irish broadcasters more so than the Eurovision.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's not about a "song" anymore, Songs obviously do win but it's not about a song. People need to put the heads down and and write, plan and choreograph a 3.5 minute music/song/dance/story based act.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It's not about a "song" anymore, Songs obviously do win but it's not about a song. People need to put the heads down and and write, plan and choreograph a 3.5 minute music/song/dance/story based act.

Yep.
    The clue is in the name, Eurovision.

mikom wrote: »
    Yep.

What about Eurovision Song Contest

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

mikom wrote: »
    Yep.
    Nah, the Eurovision bit of the the Eurovision Song Contest means that it's a Song contest between European countries that's televised.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,848 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Elmo wrote: »
    I assumed that Germany, UK, France and Spain paid for most of the event anyway.

Don't forget that the Eurovision was made big in Ireland during a recession in 1988 and many thought Millstreet venue was mad in 1993.
    True. Thats why the big 4 get a bye into the final.

Total tangent, but relevant now that germany is hosting the final.

The tv licence in germany takes in a mere 7.2 Billion Euro a year. **
    It'll be some show next year then so with that funding behind it!!

** http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEZ

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The Eurovision bit of the the Eurovision Song Contest means that it's a Song contest between European countries that's televised.

Its a pity that the countries aren't all in Europe and not 25% Asian as in the contest last week.

I think that its high time Ireland pulled out and try to get an alternative contest established which is confined to EU only. If we could persuade Britain and some others to do the same we just might get something going which is more like the way it used to be when we could win.

While we are doing that we could confine the judging to panels only and forget the text voting which only helps non nationals get their countries through, regardless of the quality of the song. It also is a weird way to vote since since you can't vote for your own country. This means of course that any vote you make will act against the country you are in, where is the incentive to vote unless you are a non national? Shay Healy said as much this morning in a radio interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Silverado wrote: »
    Its a pity that the countries aren't all in Europe and not 25% Asian as in the contest last week.

I think that its high time Ireland pulled out and try to get an alternative contest established which is confined to EU only. If we could persuade Britain and some others to do the same we just might get something going which is more like the way it used to be when we could win.

While we are doing that we could confine the judging to panels only and forget the text voting which only helps non nationals get their countries through, regardless of the quality of the song. It also is a weird way to vote since since you can't vote for your own country. This means of course that any vote you make will act against the country you are in, where is the incentive to vote unless you are a non national? Shay Healy said as much this morning in a radio interview.

Sure while we're at it couldn't the FAI leave Fifa, setup our own World Cup with only New Zealand and Luxembourg in it and Irish goals count double, should give us a good chance of winning it.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sure while we're at it couldn't the FAI leave Fifa, setup our own World Cup with only New Zealand and Luxembourg in it and Irish goals count double, should give us a good chance of winning it.

In case you haven't noticed they call it the Eurovision Song Contest. Perhaps you should go to another thread to discuss FIFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

campo wrote: »
    Anyone know whats odds are on offer , I predict A Germany win

I never backed it due to working bloody late on Saturday oh well deserved win I thought

Silverado wrote: »
    In case you haven't noticed they call it the Eurovision Song Contest. Perhaps you should go to another thread to discuss FIFA.

Thanks, I know what thread I'm in, my point was that I find it wrong that people now want us to pull out just because we haven't won it in a while.

Looks like giving up in my eyes. People were happy enough when we were winning with Johnny Logan and ballads but because we can't send good modern songs we should declare the whole contest a farce and leave it.

As I've stated on other posts, the reason we did badly is that our song was about 20 years out of date. Performance was dull , Niamh was glued to the floor and what were the other people on stage there for?

Talk about the political voting all you like, but Germany has been doing terrible for years, went away, came up with a modern act and won the contest quite easily in the end, and Germany is hardly the most popular country in Europe that would have lots of neighbours voting for it.

Ireland needs to step up to the plate, change how songs are selected for the National Finals, at the moment they are selected by a panel of dinosaurs, and put forward modern acts. Also, don't have the song selected by Late Late Show viewers. The contest is still very winnable for any act despite political voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Thanks, I know what thread I'm in, my point was that I find it wrong that people now want us to pull out just because we haven't won it in a while.

Looks like giving up in my eyes. People were happy enough when we were winning with Johnny Logan and ballads but because we can't send good modern songs we should declare the whole contest a farce and leave it.

As I've stated on other posts, the reason we did badly is that our song was about 20 years out of date. Performance was dull , Niamh was glued to the floor and what were the other people on stage there for?

Talk about the political voting all you like, but Germany has been doing terrible for years, went away, came up with a modern act and won the contest quite easily in the end, and Germany is hardly the most popular country in Europe that would have lots of neighbours voting for it.

Ireland needs to step up to the plate, change how songs are selected for the National Finals, at the moment they are selected by a panel of dinosaurs, and put forward modern acts. Also, don't have the song selected by Late Late Show viewers. The contest is still very winnable for any act despite political voting.

Thats just rediculous..... then everyone would vote for themselves!!!

I would like to see the UK split up and given their own voting rights ie. Scotland, Wales and England get their own preferential votes!!

Northern Ireland should get their own votes too.....

At least then we would have neighbours and some hope!!!

• Advertisement

I never thought we would win, and I don't care TBH after all its only a game. But I do think it is strange that a song which is better than most on the night comes 3rd last. I can except that the UK song was **** and deserved to be last, but if they had entered a good song I would question why it didn't do better.

Was Spain's entry that much better than the Irish entry or any of the entries that it did better than?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭geotrig

100% totally agree with you, just cause we aren't winning, people are throwing hissy fits like we have some right to win it (Jesus we won’t even play the song on our radio stations),look the Irish song was average ,it was performed well but a bit dull on the night .but one thing it shows is when we send seasoned decent acts we can get to the finals and that what it should be about, competing, if we pick up points and do well along the way all the better.

We are not always going to do well ,it’s a competition at the end of the day ,but we are not always going to do bad either !

I have to say in the last couple of years I’ve really enjoyed it and thought with the newer nations in it (and remember they were always here just part of bigger countries and are all in Europe except one thast does baffle me !)that it has rejuvenated the contest or added to it even !the standard of songs is not far from chart standards if not better in some case’s

But if you guys are still insistent on taking your ball and going I’m sure Italy might be interested in setting up a two-nations song contest with us !but they might leave if they don’t win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 giggler1

i think we should send johnny logan next year and have jedward and derek from crystal swing as backing singers/dancers:)

geotrig wrote: »
    100% totally agree with you, just cause we aren't winning, people are throwing hissy fits like we have some right to win it (Jesus we won’t even play the song on our radio stations),look the Irish song was average ,it was performed well but a bit dull on the night .but one thing it shows is when we send seasoned decent acts we can get to the finals and that what it should be about, competing, if we pick up points and do well along the way all the better.

Again no one here has suggested that Niamh should have won. But lets be realistic the song was far better than Spain's entry no? Am I missing something?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

It's weird...the more I here that Spanish song, the more it grows on me :o

It's weird...the more I here that Spanish song, the more it grows on me :o

When you hear any song enough times it will grow on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

very eurovisionish that song. There were far better ballads than Niamh's on the night.

Again no one here has suggested that Niamh should have won. But lets be realistic the song was far better than Spain's entry no? Am I missing something?

[
    :confused:

Spain is an interesting case. To me it's an awful song, like the Irish one, but Spain got points from:

Moldova - 4
    Belguim -1
    Georgia 2
    Albania 7
    Ukraine 4
    Romania 2
    Russia 4
    Armenia 7
    Portugal 12
    Israel 1
    Finland 4
    Latvia 5
    Lithuainia 8
    Solvenia 5
    Bulgaria 2

The 12 points from Portugal is definitely geo-political but the rest of it's points mostly came from eastern countries. So you could hardly say that Spain did better than Ireland because of political voting.

Problem is that to Irish ears it's a bad song, but to eastern countries with different cultures it's obviously liked more than ours.

To get a winner you must have a song that appeals to the whole of Europe.
    Same as people complaining about German singer singing with English accent. That is obvious to our ears but the majority of Europeans who are not native English speakers they would not have noticed her English accent.

When you hear any song enough times it will grow on you.

You've obviously never listened to Westlife!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I actually thought the Spain entry wasn't bad at all. Not a winning entry but an interesting one.

Advertisement