Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision 2010.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭jos28

Very glad that we got through, Niamh has a tremendous voice but the image needs serious work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 243 ✭✭Fits Morris

You know, winning is one thing, but even more important is the way you win. As an Irishman and a Dubliner, I’m delighted to say that this year, we’re doing it right. We’re doing it honest. We're doing it with real style. It’s about upholding the values and the traditions that once made this nation and this contest great. Hard work. Talent. And wonderful, wonderful music.

We had sunk so low. A couple of years ago, we showed we had lost the run of ourselves. We entered a turkey, literally. That black night in Belgrade in one way was a night to forget, but in another way, a night to remember, to store in the memory bank and learn the lessons that were so painfully and deservedly dished out to us. They called it "the massacre on the banks of the Danube". It was the night the Celtic Tiger ended, a vulgar, ugly beast dying a painful, humiliating death. But once dead, no tears were shed for this vile creature. It enabled a cleansing of sorts to occur, a redemption.

Last year this redemption began, when Sinead Mulvey and Black Daisy’s fine effort was cruelly and undeservedly overlooked. I’m not ashamed to say I shed a tear for Sinead that night. It was a tough one to take and it summed up the mood of the country at the time, seemingly trapped in a dark pit of despair, with no way out. But Sinead was the one who took those first, unsteady steps which enabled us to learn how to walk again.

This year, the light at the end of the tunnel is almost blinding. We're fighting back. We will emerge. We can feel it. We can smell it. It’s almost like drugs, tantalising, intoxicating. Yes we can, Yes we can, Yes we can.

And as I said at the top, the most important thing is that we’re doing it the right way. We’re not parading some tart dressed in a skimpy top, flashing her tits to the sound of a cheesy europop dance track. We’re not embarrassing ourselves by having some dancing gym monkeys jumping spastically around like Boyzone on the Late Late Show.

Niamh Kavanagh is a diva. A real woman. The Billie Holiday, the Ella Fitzgerald of Eurovision. Seeing her up there on stage brings a reassuring feeling of constancy. The changes our country have gone through over the last 17 years are frightening. All the highs and the lows and the tos and the fros, as Pete Doherty sang. Niamh’s return indicates a return to the traditional values that served us so well for so long. She is the wine that was put into the cellar in 1993 and now has matured into something very special.

Can anybody forget the May night a small village in West Cork had the eyes of Europe on it? The night it came down to the final douze points. Tension on a par with Stuttgart ’88. Irlande contre Royaume Uni. Ireland versus the UK. Niamh gave us revenge for Skibbereen, 50 miles up the road in Millstreet. One of the great moments.

Tonight, it felt like nothing had ever changed. People said traditional values couldn’t work in the modern era. That the contest was different. That you needed gimmicks. Tonight they were proved wrong. What a performance.

Society is a word that is often overlooked in this country. The cancer of individualism has taken over. Materialism, selfishness, me, me, me. As John F. Kennedy said, “ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.” Well after tonight, I know that there’s at least one woman who has taken those inspirational words to heart. As Niamh herself sings, “It’s For You”.

On Saturday, a victory that would the lift the nation is on the cards. Whatever happens, it'll be a communal occasion to unite us. I’m backing Niamh to win. Let’s all get behind her.

COME ON IRELAND!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭jaffa20

You know, winning is one thing, but even more important is the way you win. As an Irishman and a Dubliner, I’m delighted to say that this year, we’re doing it right. We’re doing it honest. We're doing it with real style. It’s about upholding the values and the traditions that once made this nation and this contest great. Hard work. Talent. And wonderful, wonderful music.

We had sunk so low. A couple of years ago, we showed we had lost the run of ourselves. We entered a turkey, literally. That black night in Belgrade in one way was a night to forget, but in another way, a night to remember, to store in the memory bank and learn the lessons that were so painfully and deservedly dished out to us. They called it "the massacre on the banks of the Danube". It was the night the Celtic Tiger ended, a vulgar, ugly beast dying a painful, humiliating death. But once dead, no tears were shed for this vile creature. It enabled a cleansing of sorts to occur, a redemption.

Last year this redemption began, when Sinead Mulvey and Black Daisy’s fine effort was cruelly and undeservedly overlooked. I’m not ashamed to say I shed a tear for Sinead that night. It was a tough one to take and it summed up the mood of the country at the time, seemingly trapped in a dark pit of despair, with no way out. But Sinead was the one who took those first, unsteady steps which enabled us to learn how to walk again.

This year, the light at the end of the tunnel is almost blinding. We're fighting back. We will emerge. We can feel it. We can smell it. It’s almost like drugs, tantalising, intoxicating. Yes we can, Yes we can, Yes we can.

And as I said at the top, the most important thing is that we’re doing it the right way. We’re not parading some tart dressed in a skimpy top, flashing her tits to the sound of a cheesy europop dance track. We’re not embarrassing ourselves by having some dancing gym monkeys jumping spastically around like Boyzone on the Late Late Show.

Niamh Kavanagh is a diva. A real woman. The Billie Holiday, the Ella Fitzgerald of Eurovision. Seeing her up there on stage brings a reassuring feeling of constancy. The changes our country have gone through over the last 17 years are frightening. All the highs and the lows and the tos and the fros, as Pete Doherty sang. Niamh’s return indicates a return to the traditional values that served us so well for so long. She is the wine that was put into the cellar in 1993 and now has matured into something very special.

Can anybody forget the May night a small village in West Cork had the eyes of Europe on it? The night it came down to the final douze points. Tension on a par with Stuttgart ’88. Irlande contre Royaume Uni. Ireland versus the UK. Niamh gave us revenge for Skibbereen, 50 miles up the road in Millstreet. One of the great moments.

Tonight, it felt like nothing had ever changed. People said traditional values couldn’t work in the modern era. That the contest was different. That you needed gimmicks. Tonight they were proved wrong. What a performance.

Society is a word that is often overlooked in this country. The cancer of individualism has taken over. Materialism, selfishness, me, me, me. As John F. Kennedy said, “ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.” Well after tonight, I know that there’s at least one woman who has taken those inspirational words to heart. As Niamh herself sings, “It’s For You”.

On Saturday, a victory that would the lift the nation is on the cards. Whatever happens, it'll be a communal occasion to unite us. I’m backing Niamh to win. Let’s all get behind her.

COME ON IRELAND!

Calm down Marty!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Calm down Marty!

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Brian017

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Calm down Marty!

Haha that made me chuckle.

Actually, reading that post for a second I really thought Marty had logged onto Boards from his hotel room in Olso and had a rant :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

You know I think I'm one of the few who didn't mind Dustin going through to represent us. It was a joke and an embarassment I agree but the whole contest had become a joke..It wasn't about the songs anymore, it was a bit like nepotism but not quite. Countries voting for their neighbours and friends. The fact that we stopped winning and even getting through to the final had nothing to do with our song or choice of act. I mean it came to a point that we were desperate for 12 points from England, knowing that being our closest neighbour it was our only chance for some high points. Ireland was a strong contender and was the country to beat in this competition for a long long time. It's only when the voting system changed that we ended up either bottom of the heap or not even qualifying. The Dustin year is the only time we haven't taken it seriously, every other year we've put through an act we thought were talented & had a chance.
    I think things are getting a bit better..tonight has given me hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Forget about Niamh Kanvanagh, the economy, the country and shake your booty to this:

Totally trashy pop song, with dangerous disco diva. Look at her eyes, she's so hot, she's naughty! Love the 2 Motown mamas and Imelda Marcos backing singers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭-Strawbs-

Do judges vote on the final aswell for 50%? I thought it was only the semis..

Great to see us through though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Over the two semis Belgium was the best imo. Romania, Turkey and Greece were great also.

I can't see how Azerbaijan is the favourite, the song is fairly forgettable. Doubt it'll win though, being on first should count against it.

Delighted Ireland got through, fair play to Niamh, I suppose being a past winner worked in her favour. I reckon she'll finish in the top ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Society is a word that is often overlooked in this country. The cancer of individualism has taken over. Materialism, selfishness, me, me, me. As John F. Kennedy said, “ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.”

:pac::pac::pac:

JFK associated with the competition that gave us dana international, lordi and gemini!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

Can't believe Sweden didn't get through but Israel did!

The Cyprus entry (Welsh singer) sounded like Will Young.

Hope Niamh gets to rest her voice for Saturday. Her voice sounded hoarse and she had to ditch the high note at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Not sure if this has been asked but I'd like to know why it costs 60 cent to text in your vote from Ireland but only 15 pence from the UK - any ideas????

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Can't believe Sweden didn't get through but Israel did!

The Cyprus entry (Welsh singer) sounded like Will Young.

Hope Niamh gets to rest her voice for Saturday. Her voice sounded hoarse and she had to ditch the high note at the end.

I'd say she won't be allowed talk all day today and tomorrow, barring rehearsals :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

Last night I looked at the second semi final and I liked the Danish entry. I was just about to vote for it when I realised that my vote could put Niamh out and wouldn't do our entry any good at all.

I think that Niamh's song is the best in the competition and will go down as one of our better Eurovision entries, so naturally I want it to win. Why would I vote for another country if that vote acts against us?

This text voting system is nuts and we should go back to juries only. That's how we won before - because the quality songs got through, not some of the crazy rubbish we have seen in recent years.

Our only hope on Saturday night is to get our Irish cousins abroad to text like mad all night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

I'm just looking at the list of previous winners now, and it just brought 'Rock'N' Roll Kids' back into my mind. What a glory year that was.

I also really like the 2003 winner from Turkey - they used always play this in the student nightclub when I was on Erasmus in Sweden for some reason. They really do love Eurovision over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

Was Switzerland's song called 'it's raining Gold'. Does that mean a Golden Shower like?
    Niamh did well but she needs to lose the dress she looked like a drag artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

coconut5 wrote: »

I also really like the 2003 winner from Turkey - they used always play this in the student nightclub when I was on Erasmus in Sweden for some reason. They really do love Eurovision over there.

I remember when I was on holiday in Turkey a few years ago, after Ruslana won for Ukraine with "Wild Dances" there were posters of her all over the place, and they played the song in all the shops, hotels, radio stations, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

patmac wrote: »
    Was Switzerland's song called 'it's raining Gold'. Does that mean a Golden Shower like?
    Niamh did well but she needs to lose the dress she looked like a drag artist.
    she was on with Morning Ireland this morning.. The purple dress is staying. Have to say it's a lot better than the Late Late Show dress.
    niamh_h_526986t.jpg
    She looked like someone you would expect to see hailing the Starship Enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Anyone know whats odds are on offer , I predict A Germany win

As of now. Paddy power. Paddy Power Odds
    2010 Outright Winner
    Azerbaijan 2/1
    Germany 3/1
    Armenia 6/1
    Israel 10/1
    Turkey 12/1
    Belgium 14/1
    Denmark 14/1
    Ireland 20/1
    Greece 20/1
    Norway 25/1
    Iceland 33/1
    Georgia 33/1
    Romania 40/1
    Cyprus 50/1
    France 66/1
    Ukraine 66/1
    Portugal 66/1
    Serbia 80/1
    Spain 80/1
    Albania 80/1
    Moldova 80/1
    Russia 125/1
    UK 150/1 :p
    Belarus 200/1
    B&H 200/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

As of now. Paddy power. Paddy Power Odds
    2010 Outright Winner
    Azerbaijan 2/1
    Germany 3/1
    Armenia 6/1
    Israel 10/1
    Turkey 12/1
    Belgium 14/1
    Denmark 14/1
    Ireland 20/1
    Greece 20/1
    Norway 25/1
    Iceland 33/1
    Georgia 33/1
    Romania 40/1
    Cyprus 50/1
    France 66/1
    Ukraine 66/1
    Portugal 66/1
    Serbia 80/1
    Spain 80/1
    Albania 80/1
    Moldova 80/1
    Russia 125/1
    UK 150/1 :p
    Belarus 200/1
    B&H 200/1

I would like to see Germany win if Niamh doesn't pull it of but I have a feeling that the East European block vote might swing it for the Azerbajani's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

patmac wrote: »
    I would like to see Germany win if Niamh doesn't pull it of but I have a feeling that the East European block vote might swing it for the Azerbajani's

Azerbaijan is an extremely deserving winner in my opinion. Although her performance was a tad disappointing last night, the song is absolutely fantastic. Drawn to perform in 1st place though will hinder them I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

DKZ wrote: »
    Azerbaijan is an extremely deserving winner in my opinion. Although her performance was a tad disappointing last night, the song is absolutely fantastic. Drawn to perform in 1st place though will hinder them I imagine.

I think France might be a good outside bet wonder do PP do each way bets for Eurovision

DKZ wrote: »
    They were evens last night before the performance, so that will tell you what Paddy Power thinks.. pushed out to 2/1 now. You would have thought that the odds would have shortened now that they were certainly through to the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

At the end of the day there are enough good singers in Ireland that can go and perform well without making a fool out of themselves. The guys we have been sending in the last few years would have been placed last if they were in the place of Quinn/Logan/Kavanagh etc. Rte sending those talent show winners just stank the place out.

It was scary listening to our other contenders this year,If Niamh wasnt in it we would have finished paddy last again. In the semi final.

Niamh may not win tomorrow but she will not be far off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Niamh may not win tomorrow but she will not be far off it.
    And that will suit RTÉ nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Dark horse of the year.....Georgia.

It will pick up points from everywhere....particularly Turkey and Armenia.

Back it now when it's 40/1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Apparently Russia does not cut off the countries supply of oil that it receives 12 points from............:D

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

I would be dissappointed if Azerbaijan won, I can not see how it can have odds of only 2/1. The song is ok (kinda R&B lite) and her performance wasn't the best. It might go down well with public but not the juries.

PP also has Armenia and Israel coming in 3rd and 4th, I wouldn't even put them in the final. Iceland at 33/1 is very generous, that got a huge reaction on Tuesday night.

Was very impressed with the Georgian performance on Thursday, I think that vocally she was the best, if she performs like that on Saturday they could do very well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The auld old soviet bloc vote will see Azerbaijan through.

Advertisement