Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision 2010.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

aaaaaa

its over. Lock thread, finish beers, put away green white and orange feather boa until next year and go to bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

murpho999 wrote: »
    If it's all political can you explain how Germany won it then?

It does come down to the song/act.

Easy.

Eastern block countries vote in a rather dodgey fashion. This immediately causes problems for nations outside of eastern europe. It affects the voting pattern. Secondly, the dispersal of eastern european nationals across western europe further affects the voting. Finally, a european nations profile within europe also affects the impression made. In Irelands case we are disliked.(believe it or not.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Brian017

i think they should go back to 100% jury voting. And don't tell the jurors which country is which, just Song 1 to 25 or whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

casio4 wrote: »
    yeah but it's her age she's 17, all teenagers go on like her:cool:

Her D.OB is 23/5/91

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think you need to take a long view, in the last 12 years or so the winning dance number has been moving east, until it reached Moscow. Now after Norway and Germany its clearly heading back west, so by about 2014 Ireland should be a shoe-in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

Brian017 wrote: »
    i think they should go back to 100% jury voting. And don't tell the jurors which country is which, just Song 1 to 25 or whatever

And give up on all that txt msg revenue? Not gonna happen.

RonMexico wrote: »
    Lol spot the sore loser who wants to axe it because we were disgraced. :D

Eh No.

Ive held that opinion for a number of years. Eurovision is a competition that has no meaning outside of Ireland and the UK. Leave it to the rest of them. One only has to look at the music industry on a worldwide basis to see the contribution made by "Europe".

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Easy.

Eastern block countries vote in a rather dodgey fashion. This immediately causes problems for nations outside of eastern europe. It affects the voting pattern. Secondly, the dispersal of eastern european nationals across western europe further affects the voting. Finally, a european nations profile within europe also affects the impression made. In Irelands case we are disliked.(believe it or not.)

Is that your opinion/experience or do you actually have information to support your claim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Fergus wrote: »
    I wasn't talking about judgement of the songs.. just the general limited interaction with culture beyond the UK apart from very occasional things like the Eurovision. And, yes, I know that's a generalization.
    How does the eurovison highlight how little we have in common with other EU memebers then?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

I didn't say it was all political. But a huge part of it is. Germany, because of its huge ethnic population have been moving up the EV ranks in recent years, and that together with a decent song did it this year. It also helped that it was already number 1 in four countries before the contest.
    It charted highly in (besides Germany): Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Luxembourg.

Only one of these, Switzerland could vote for it. Germany had the song that appealed to most and it won. As for Germany doing well in Eurovision in recent years, I present to you their recent results:

Germany's results

2009: 20th
    2008: 23rd (Joint last, 23rd after tiebreak)
    2007: 19th
    2006: 14th
    2005: 24th

and Belgium, who hadn't been to a final since 2004 came 6th!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭mr.mayo

One thing the last three winners have in common is that they're all absolute rides, I'm not gay but I have no problem admitting that Dima Bilan is a seriously good looking lad, Alexander Rybak looks like he's after graduating High School Musical and Lena is drop dead gorgeous.
    What do we send out? Niamh F'n Kavanagh, I was surprised we even got to the final tbh. Have to admit that listening to Marty whinging about us not getting any points was hilarious though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Eh No.

Ive held that opinion for a number of years. Eurovision is a competition that has no meaning outside of Ireland and the UK. Leave it to the rest of them. One only has to look at the music industry on a worldwide basis to see the contribution made by "Europe".

Yeah. That massive crowd in Hamburg really proves that, doesn't it. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Fcuk the Eurovision, I just changed over to Rocky 2. I feel like a winner now after watching that (and a bottle of wine:o).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,443 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I didn't say it was all political. But a huge part of it is. Germany, because of its huge ethnic population have been moving up the EV ranks in recent years, and that together with a decent song did it this year. It also helped that it was already number 1 in four countries before the contest.

Its huge ethnic population vote from Germany for their own country, having an ethnic population does not get you votes, despite what gob****e Marty was thinking tonight that we would get points from Lithuania.
    The song was no 1 in 4 countries already according to you so that proves that it must be a half decent song regardless if we here in Ireland like it or not.
    There is no pacts or political reasons for Germany & Belgium doing so well tonight and I wish people would stop making excuses.

Ireland's song was poor. Simple as that. It was very dated. Performance was boring. Can you tell me why did 4/5 people appear on stage with Niamh at the end? They did nothing.

I know we have tried Dustin and that was a disaster, but it's obvious whatever we have been doing the last 10 years is not working and something has to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

The winning song from Germany seem to have a chorus with the first line "Kango amen it, boubtya lub"
    Anyone know what language it was being sung in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,443 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Easy.

Sorry but your post makes no sense at all.....still doesn't show how Germany won.

Your comment about Ireland is laughable. We are not unpopular. More likely unknown as most europeans think we are English (FACT!)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Don't tell me people are actually surprised? I said all along it was a sh*t song and she hadn't a hope. Some of you have been drinking Marty Whelan's Kool-Aid and that man should be sacked after the horrendous job he did tonight. I watched the results on RTE and he was insufferable throughout, whining about neighbours voting for each other (yet he kept quiet about Ireland and the UK doing the same)

Face it the song was crap. She did a decent job singing it but it deserved its lowly finish and was lucky to qualify at all imo.

I was pleased Germany took it over Turkey and Greece, although I wanted Romania to win. Overall, it was a pretty good show and the only downside was Marty's continual bitching. He even managed to throw in a Thierry Henry handball reference near the end which was laughable. Niamh wasn't cheated out of anything, Marty. She sang a sh*t song. End of story.

Let's hope RTE get some sense and choose a new method of picking songs other than letting the old pals act prevail once again. Who are we sending next year? Are we wheeling out Dana?

Vudgie wrote: »
    Is that your opinion/experience or do you actually have information to support your claim?

Opinion based on experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Ireland's song was poor. Simple as that. It was very dated. Performance was boring. Can you tell me why did 4/5 people appear on stage with Niamh at the end? They did nothing.
    yeah wtf! I thought ok hear is some people to help niamh unglue herself from the stage but no they just stood there too :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭mr.mayo

Let's hope RTE get some sense and choose a new method of picking songs other than letting the old pals act prevail once again. Who are we sending next year? Are we wheeling out Dana?

I hear Johnny Logan wants one last crack at it. Hard to say no to that:pac:

• Advertisement

More likely unknown as most europeans think we are English (FACT!)

True. I don't know how many times I've been told by Spanish people (in Spain) that Ireland needs to keep fighting and not give up hope so that eventually we'll have our own country. People across Europe just think Ireland is like Scotland or Wales - another part of the UK. :mad: Sad but true.

number10a wrote: »
    Yeah. That massive crowd in Hamburg really proves that, doesn't it. :confused:

Actually it does. I said Ireland and the UK. You offered Hamburg, Germany as a counter argument.;)

Actually it does. I said Ireland and the UK. You offered Hamburg, Germany as a counter argument.;)

You said that the Eurovision means nothing outside Ireland and the UK. I mention that there is a crowd of thousands in a square in Hamburg watching the Eurovision, and you still think that that proves that the contest means nothing in mainland Europe?????????

I'm hoping you're being sarcastic in saying that that proves your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

mr.mayo wrote: »

I like it!

Johnny and Kaye Styles back together again maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

mr.mayo wrote: »
    And get the same result as this year? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

And get the same result as this year? :P
    Guaranteed.

Sorry but your post makes no sense at all.....still doesn't show how Germany won.

Your comment about Ireland is laughable. We are not unpopular. More likely unknown as most europeans think we are English (FACT!)

For a start if you think Ireland is popular across Europe then I hate to say that you are deluded and need to travel more. Talk to other Europeans (not your buddies) and relish in the distinct opinion many many people from other European nations have. It certainly doesn't help when we have had a Government that boasted and bragged, laughed at the influx of immigrants to work on our building sites and serve up sambos in our delis and generally promoted Ireland as this great economy that rose from the ashes, while it ****ed every poorer European nation up the ass.

As for the German win, try the great divide between American, UK and Irish "pop" music and that of "mainland" Europe and the rest of the world. The current pop culture music industry is still dominated by the three regions I mentioned. Hence it is incredible that two of them are now ultimate failures in a Song competition. As I said in a previous post the competition is now an irrelavence for the UK and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

jaysis, a hell of a lot of europeans speak english with american accents. it's what happens when american tv shows go all around the place. it's not that big of a deal is it??

Of course it's not a big deal but I think it sounds awful personally. I'd prefer to hear a German speak English with a natural German accent, and not an "awesome" American one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Don't tell me people are actually surprised? I said all along it was a sh*t song and she hadn't a hope. Some of you have been drinking Marty Whelan's Kool-Aid and that man should be sacked after the horrendous job he did tonight. I watched the results on RTE and he was insufferable throughout, whining about neighbours voting for each other (yet he kept quiet about Ireland and the UK doing the same)

Ah now in fairness, we didn't give England 12 points and they didn't give it to us!! Even the audience were booing! Don't think I have heard that before!

Or song, perhaps a bit dated, deserved to be 5th or 6th in my opinion! Niamh's wardrobe dept should be shot!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

Christ this thread has 81,293 views. :eek:

Listening to the Swedish entry yet again! :pac:

Advertisement