Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision 2010.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

We need to send a song that is original and innovative. That was what won this year, last year, when Lordi won it etc.

I'm tired and fed up of Ireland sending these early 90s dirges. It's probably a bit like South Park's spoof of Family Guy where a load of manatees are floating around a tank picking up song idea balls for each Eurovision.

60.jpg
    'Not Niamh Kavanagh again? Nooooooooooo.'

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'm not a fan of phone tapping at all and Ireland's had a bad record of this, particularly in the 1980s when journalists' phones were tapped (later found to be illegal) but let's put it this way: we don't get the local authorities to round up anyone who votes in a song contest and if that happened we'd look up and think there was something wrong with it:) Incidentally, your fourth link is in relation to a different country.

Off-topic so I'll bow out now from this side-discussion (apologies to mods, my fault for launching it) but I'm flabbergasted that someone who can type can't see how inane, wacky and reminiscent of the cartoon depiction of your former rulers in Moscow that is. Good luck with democracy when you get some as opposed to being told you have it because when you're living in a country where the government will investigate you over your musical taste and song contest voting preferences, you're being ruled by the thought police. Aside, I'm sure the ordinary folk of Azerbaijan are good people.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    But this love for Ireland is grating me. Yes, the woman can sing. The song however, was a typical dated ballad that the Ireland continually put forward in hopes of winning. Not gonna happen. Ballads are out, modern music is in. Germany is testament to this. They used a song with a popular formula and won. Songs like Ireland's are nice to listen to, sure, but they are dated.

I disagree that a ballad can't win mainly because there have been a few ballads that won over the last 10 years. And in the last 2 we put forward song that you can't consider ballads.

IMO Niamh Kavanagh's win in 1993 was out of the ordinary, from a highly typical Eurovision win with "Why Me?" we got a bluesy ballad (if we can call it a ballad) with "In Your Eyes" and in fairness "Rock 'n Roll Kids" while nostalgic was highly different. And then we had the "The Voice".

And I think most people agree with you that Niamh made a bad song good, however no one could have done justice to Spain's Entry. I think few people expected Niamh to win (mainly because of the song), but they weren't expecting her to come 3rd last, I think that is an undeserving place for her and the song.

I only saw some of the acts and Niamh surpassed many more than 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Some songs that RTE have overlooked in the selection process for Eurovision. These would have had a better chance but i just don't think RTE care.

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Some songs that RTE have overlooked in the selection process for Eurovision. These would have had a better chance but i just don't think RTE care.

They're both brutal imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 censoredboy

sceptre wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of phone tapping at all and Ireland's had a bad record of this, particularly in the 1980s when journalists' phones were tapped (later found to be illegal) but let's put it this way: we don't get the local authorities to round up anyone who votes in a song contest and if that happened we'd look up and think there was something wrong with it:) Incidentally, your fourth link is in relation to a different country.

Off-topic so I'll bow out now from this side-discussion (apologies to mods, my fault for launching it) but I'm flabbergasted that someone who can type can't see how inane, wacky and reminiscent of the cartoon depiction of your former rulers in Moscow that is. Good luck with democracy when you get some as opposed to being told you have it because when you're living in a country where the government will investigate you over your musical taste and song contest voting preferences, you're being ruled by the thought police. Aside, I'm sure the ordinary folk of Azerbaijan are good people.

People were not rounded up, but invited to the appropriate structures, thanked for their time and excused after a short while. These structures are the only reason we've prevented the emergence of Baku, Azerbaijan as the second Baghdad. The realities of the situation is that those who pose a threat to us, live amongst us, and any suspicious activity must be dealt with swiftly to guarantee security.

I am flabbergasted at how you played down the activities of your own government only to criticise those of mine. No need for double standards, my friend. We all learn from our mistakes.

It seems that your understanding of Azerbaijan ("reminiscent of Moscow", "thought police"), can only be compared to someone that thinks Ireland is a part of the United Kingdom. Actually so it seems, because given the ignorance on display, all this is reminiscent of your former rulers in London. :)

Thank you for your time, and excuse us for all the off-topic discussion.

P.S.

Thank you for a great song once again, and pity that it did not receive the credit it was due. By the way the 1993 entry by Kavanagh was also excellent! Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Elmo wrote: »
    Like this one?

the same process was used in this selection. a songwriter was put together with an act and then for reasons only known to themselves, they added sinead mulvey to it.

what they really need to do is select the band or artist, and then let the artist select the song themselves. or hold a contest where bands or artists put forward their own songs.

Leslie Anne Halvey built up Black Daisy and for the songwriters to add sinead mulvey looked like a bit of a snub to the band's leadsinger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

This is Niamh's interview from The Marian Finucane Show this morning.

This was Justin Lee Collins' song which didn't even get through pre-selection.

This was Justin Lee Collins' song which didn't even get through pre-selection.

Bit 80's, bit Ronan Keating-esq no?

• Advertisement

Bit 80's, bit Ronan Keating-esq no?

well ronan keating was involved with the writing of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 claireoconnell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viUWSYhvkqo[url]

hey this is the flashmob my year did for our last day of school in donegal! enjoy!!!:D[/url]

Yeah Keating wrote it. It's mentioned in that article I posted earlier today, a few pages back.. Keating was giving out about the choice of song ..

Yeah Keating wrote it. It's mentioned in that article I posted earlier today, a few pages back.. Keating was giving out about the choice of song ..

I wonder if he would be giving out had Mikey Graham got to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

And if it's all political how did Belgium come so high! We just have to send a song with more appeal than Niamh's.

And Norway's entry from last year is the most successful of all time

Of course success here = number of points it got.

That's not political because Norways never done nothin' for nobody.

And Alexander Rybek is the cheesiest thing... that kiss when he handed over the trophy being case in point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Do you know what, i'm actually glad we sent the one we did, that was pretty painful to listen to. No wonder no other country would take it. Jesus Ronan, John Waters could rival you as a songwriter;)

I wonder if he would be giving out had Mikey Graham got to go?
    Elmo, I was just thinking exactly the same thing as I read the article. Justin Lee Collins wouldnt have been as professional as Niamh and I dont think he would have done any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

How about the UK entry ? A timeless classic methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Pittens wrote: »
    Onthe subject of fun, I loved Lena. I liked her accent too, pretty common amongst youngsters in germany where they learn English in an American accent ( not just off the TV), and I liked the song which could easily have been a Lilly Allen song.

All good Pop.

it was a great competition - I just re-watched it as I read this thread after a meal out last night.

Honourable mentions to Greece, Turkey, Romania, Moldova and controversially France. I'd buy them all. I even liked the Russian song.

Anyway, the voting largely reflected that. Niamh belted it out but ballads dont really work anymore - do you remember any of the other ballads, there were quite a few - and so we need to get some rock or pop going next year.

EDIT:

And belgium.

the girl that won did have a quirkiness about her which was quite appealing , that she sang in what at times sounded like a mockney accent ,only added to this

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I think its time for me to stop watching the Eurovision ,it really has degenerated into a farce.
    That winning song was frankly undeserving and the girl singing sounded like a crow.Her teutonic accent didnt help .
    The song was written by an American and a Dane ffs ,not a German in sight.
    Two decent winners in the last decade,Lordi and the Olsen Brothers,the rest were forgettable pap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Sour grapes. Blame everyone and everything but ourselves. Just accept that we entered a song that is out of step with the style and image of the competition.

RonMexico wrote: »
    Sour grapes. Blame everyone and everything but ourselves. Just accept that we entered a song that is out of step with the style and image of the competition.

Sour Grapes ,wtf.
    Where did I say the Irish song should have won or beaten the German song ??
    The Irish song was decent but the stage presentation was horrific ( Static woman standing on a box ) and what the hell were those 4 goons in the backround doing.
    The point I was making is that the German song ,written by 2 non Germans ,one a non European ,was a very average song and the singer was appalling.
    Compare her awful voice with the singer in this version
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfm-BtdhcFU
    There were at least 5 better songs in the final .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

When i watched France i cringed and the robbery of the all blacks dance was awful :D,Serbia i cringed lol This is Balkans this is Balkans.:p

I liked Ireland,Ukraine,Albania,Sweden.UK

I always still think that whole show is completely stupid :p

Sour Grapes ,wtf.
    Where did I say the Irish song should have won or beaten the German song ??
    The Irish song was decent but the stage presentation was horrific ( Static woman standing on a box ) and what the hell were those 4 goons in the backround doing.
    The point I was making is that the German song ,written by 2 non Germans ,one a non European ,was a very average song and the singer was appalling.
    Compare her awful voice with the singer in this version
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfm-BtdhcFU
    There were at least 5 better songs in the final .

I think the winner's version is a lot better than that. I agree on the night her performance wasn't great but I think the song is catchy and she had something like 6 million Youtube views even before the contest so obviously it has its fans. You could hear the fans being excited before she even starrted singing. This is what Ireland needs to aspire towards. Creating a good song that people actually want to listen to and which creates a buzz. The Norway one did that too.

I don't think it's a big deal the song was written by a non-European. One of the countries one year, might have been last year or the year before, had an American performing a song, so I don't see a big deal in a non German writing the winning song.

yeah, france had some neck hoping for us to vote for their world cup son :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

yeah, france had some neck hoping for us to vote for their world cup son :D

On top of that it was horrendous lol

You can always tell the ones who are trying to get hit records and fail miserable lol :D Iceland also comes to mind with this fail :p

I don't think it's a big deal the song was written by a non-European. One of the countries one year, might have been last year or the year before, had an American performing a song, so I don't see a big deal in a non German writing the winning song.

Well considering that the actual award goes to the composer of the song rather than the singer it is a complete farce if the winner is non European .

Well considering that the actual award goes to the composer of the song rather than the singer it is a complete farce if the winner is non European .

I take your point but let's suppose Cyprus won with the Welsh lad and it was composed by a Cypriot, would that be any less farcical? A lot of it is farcical really. :D

On your point though I think maybe that's an avenue we ought to explore. If the Irish composers can't come up with anything maybe we should look abroad. Didn't Timbaland compose the Russian winner from a few years back? We probably need to look to composers overseas to give us a dig out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Eva Rivas ftw
    Ahhh Apricot Stones aaaaah.

Good luck to the Germans, the only ones who can afford to host the show anyway.
    Looks like their biggest hit since 99 luftballon, without the melody or voice.
    It''l take their mind off all the money they are owed by the rest of Europe and keep them happy enough to bankroll us PIGS back out of this recession while spending themselves in to one.

Ahh Eva Rivas Vicemiss Caucasus aaaah.

• Advertisement

The writers / performers / dancers should really ALL have to come from the country. Otherwise you will just have attention seeking people like Justin Lee Collins whoring themselves around Europe just to try and get in to the show.

For example, what if Monica Ikvic had won our "Eurosong Ireland 2010" competition? Foreign writers (I think one of them didnt even speak english), foreign singers ... only reason they entered the song here was cos they considered they would have a good shot at winning here. NOTHING Irish about it and it could have represented Ireland..

I dont buy this freelance way that singers/songwriters can just enter for whatever country they want.

Advertisement