Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision 2010.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Cris Jones wrote: »
    People don't agree; it wasn't a bad song choice, or poor presentation with wrong image - the song was good and the presentation was good and the image was great, maybe a bit better put across in the semi finals but still good. Other songs got more votes on the night but no need to diss a really good entry from Ireland.

It was a turgid song, a poor image and badly presented. Niamh still has a good voice but it's as much about image and 'wow' factor now as the song (and our song was irrelevant).

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Cris Jones

murpho999 wrote: »
    '

Don't see how you can say it was a good entry when it came 3rd last.

It's results that speak volumes and that counts not opinions.

Ok, if you didn't like it, fair enough, but other people thought it would do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

murpho999 wrote: »
    You have obviously misread my post. I didn't say that Ireland was popular but more that most people in Europe know nothing and I mean nothing about Ireland and think we are British.
    As for your insults, how do you know where I have travelled? I have been to most countries in Europe, USA, Canada, Australia, Egypt, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Fiji, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala & Dutch Antilles and lived in Holland for 7 years so please think before you write.

Your comments about Ireland boasting to Eastern Europeans and that Ireland ****ed every poorer European nation up the ass is really pathetic.

Most europeans are not really aware of our economic situation past or present. When I lived in Holland during the Celtic Tiger, I had Dutch people telling me how poor they thought Ireland was. In fact I also had a mortgage initially turned down as they thought I came from a non EU country. So for you to think that we have mistreated East Europeans and they want revenge is the reason we lost so badly is laughable. After all, Germany tried to take over the whole of Europe, killed 6 milliion jews, rob our beach beds etc and still won.

Just accept it came down to a bad song choice, poor presentation and a singer with wrong image and leave it at that. No need for over analysation of political reasoning or false statements about Ireland shafting Europe and they are getting revenge. Greatest rubbish I've ever read on boards.

I offered opinions and possible reasons in response to other posts about the whole Eurovision thing. Im touched that you were narked about my "need to travel more" comment to such a degree that you opted for a geographical tour of the world. I won't go into the details of where Ive been or who I spoke to because I'm sure you would try to better it.

As for the rest of your post up above, well I know when Im dealing with an internet warrior that values their own opinion to such a degree that arguing with it would only add to your perceived headcount, so we'll agree to differ. You're deluded, while I'm pathetic and talk rubbish. But I'll finish with one simple point and its this. If what I have posted here is the greatest rubbish that you have read on boards, then I suggest you explore it more and do less dick or titty waving about yourself while you're at it. Opinions are okay, but trying to force your viewpoint down someone elses throat is really sad. So if you don't mind I won't just "accept" anything you have said because you were the height of arrogance in your request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 censoredboy

Is Azerbaijan a one party state? Is it true that last year that the secret police in your country found out who voted for Armenia in the eurovision and interviewed them all? all 46 of them? This was reported on RTE during the mooney show last week. Because of this the phone record of voters has to be keep secret.

Azerbaijan is not a one party state. The reason behind the questioning was pretty evident considering that there is an ongoing war with Armenia that has occupied 20% of our lands. It was therefore done in the interest of national security.

You can read more about Azerbaijan here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azerbaijan

I doubt anyone is enjoying our off topic discussions. Save yourself some face and don't jump into hasty conclusions. I only wanted to commend your entry. Have a good night!

It was a turgid song, a poor image and badly presented. Niamh still has a good voice but it's as much about image and 'wow' factor now as the song (and our song was irrelevant).

As I said, many people liked it and thought it would do well. If you didn't like it that is OK.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Well done Niamh, you did us proud. Great song, hopefully it will live long in the memory despite our placing in the end. What a fantastic Eurovision, really really enjoyed it and I'm not one to usually enjoy this sort of thing but great night.

RonMexico wrote: »
    Our entry was irrelavent bollocks.
    Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Marty was as good a commentator as Terry Wogan and better than Graham Norton, IMO. Many of the "UK" voters for Niamh would have been the disenfranchised "Northern Ireland" voters voting for their own country, Ireland.

Good God no, Terry never took it seriously, Marty was taking the whole thing very seriously which made for great entertainment, you could hear he was getting more and more depressed as each vote came in.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Good God no, Terry never took it seriously, Marty was taking the whole thing very seriously which made for great entertainment, you could hear he was getting more and more depressed as each vote came in.

I think you are wrong, Terry resigned from presenting the Eurovision because he took it seriously and the UK were not getting votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

If Ireland wants to win they have to ban Moustached women with beer bellys end off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Those who stay on this thread late, have no reason to go to bed, so best of luck. Its been enjoyable for this forum newbie. But alas Im off to the sack now for the real thing and then some sleep, Nite nite Ron and Murph, You've been fun. I'll read your forthcoming ramblings on my opinions some other time. A pity you couldn't have been a little bit "normal" in your evaluation of them though.

Don't stay up too late.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

As I said, many people liked it and thought it would do well. If you didn't like it that is OK.

Not a case of not liking the song, but comparing it with the competition tonight, it was turgid and irrelevant. A song from another time, but not in a retro-cool way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,443 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

DWCommuter wrote: »
    I offered opinions and possible reasons in response to other posts about the whole Eurovision thing. Im touched that you were narked about my "need to travel more" comment to such a degree that you opted for a geographical tour of the world. I won't go into the details of where Ive been or who I spoke to because I'm sure you would try to better it.

As for the rest of your post up above, well I know when Im dealing with an internet warrior that values their own opinion to such a degree that arguing with it would only add to your perceived headcount, so we'll agree to differ. You're deluded, while I'm pathetic and talk rubbish. But I'll finish with one simple point and its this. If what I have posted here is the greatest rubbish that you have read on boards, then I suggest you explore it more and do less dick or titty waving about yourself while you're at it. Opinions are okay, but trying to force your viewpoint down someone elses throat is really sad. So if you don't mind I won't just "accept" anything you have said because you were the height of arrogance in your request.

Thanks for your response. Replying with more personal insults and not discussing any points raised is a sure sign of your argument running out of steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,443 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Marty was terrible tonight. From very early on it was obvious we were having a disaster and then at one point late in the voting Iceland got some points and Marty says 'Oh I have a heart attack every time I see Iceland' as he thought it was points for Ireland, even if they were it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭acequion

I really did like that German entry and would have to disagree with people about her accent. In fact that accent would stick in your mind and have the song in your head,which with her youthful sexy image,would have people voting for her.

As for Niamh,I feel extremely sorry for her.She came out of her Eurovision royalty to have another shot for Ireland and it backfired badly on her. But for those of us who remember her great win in Milstreet in '93,nothing cancels that out,we're just in a very different place as a country nowadays.

I honestly reckon that it makes no difference who we send to represent us these days.Dustin in his trolley,sexy ECT girls or Niamh with her wonderful voice.Europe has moved on and yes the Eurovision is very politically motivated and those voting nowadays were probably not even born when Ireland was in its Eurovision heyday.In the 90's we were the darlings of Europe.We were well enough known by a smaller Europe and respected for all our artistic efforts.I lived outside Ireland,in Europe at the time and felt that respect and good will.

There is no doubt that we've now lost it. Despite all our great efforts at economic dominance during our Tiger years,many Europeans still have no idea who the hell we are as Europe grows larger.A recent documentary on RTE shows Alexander Rybak,last year's winner coming to Ireland and not having a clue who we are and how we differ as a country from England.So maybe we need to think about that now that we've lost the competitive edge we once had.

On another note,I would agree with the sourness felt towards the Poles and other Eastern Europeans at their lack of votes.I see that as a total lack of loyalty towards a country which has taken them in and given them work. OK it's only the Eurovision but it's indicative of their lack of loyalty to us.During the good years we called them the "new Irish". Many will call me racist but these people swarmed our country,made little or no effort to integrate and their attitude is to make as much money as they can and move it back to their own countries.Recession ridden as we are,there are still many of them in every town and village.I apologise to those who have made an effort to learn English and integrate into the way of life here. No doubt many will attack my stance but having lived in a number of countries myself,I have an enormous problem with a user mentality.This has more to do with Eurovision voting then may be superficially apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Those who stay on this thread late, have no reason to go to bed, so best of luck. Its been enjoyable for this forum newbie. But alas Im off to the sack now for the real thing and then some sleep, Nite nite Ron and Murph, You've been fun. I'll read your forthcoming ramblings on my opinions some other time. A pity you couldn't have been a little bit "normal" in your evaluation of them though.

Don't stay up too late.:D

Wow! when I grow up I want to be just like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

wow she seems happy anyway,

europeanhumour FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

CoDy1 wrote: »
    Wow! when I grow up I want to be just like you.

Oh I think we should all aim to be bitter self-hating bores who want to read massive political importance into a fun song contest, and throws his toys out of the pram because we lost. Real reason. Not a great song.

Certainly not Europe wide distaste of the way we mistreated the East Europeans by being one of the few countries to allow workers from the accession States to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    wow she seems happy anyway,

europeanhumour FTW

Awesome....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Is there a lot of political voting?? yes. Does it really effect us?? No. The best song won. Our song was crap. Lets face it and stop making excuses like Marty Whelan. 2 mins after our song was finished I forgot the melody.The Irish song was rubbish, and the performance was mediocre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Confused92

I have to say I really enjoyed this years contest much more than recent years, the quality of songs were much improved.

Although I don't think niamh should have won, I do believe she should have at least been in the top ten.

Oh well, there's allways next year.... I think we should go for a more rock/indie style next year as we have tried everything else in recent years. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Just listenend to Swedens song there again, christ, thats a fcukin great song. How they didn't at least qualify is beyond me!

Did they send a ridiculous unfunny puppet to sing there entry a couple of years ago too?

Europe is still not over that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

A mixed night. on one hand, im very disappointed for niamh, she deserved better. on the other hand, the best song won and i am very happy for lena and germany! oh and i too liked the swedish entry and also think it should have qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Greece, Moldova or France should have won tbh :( Didn't really like the German song but wasn't the worst anyway.

But I loved Marty giving out about everything, its always half the reason I watch the show to see by the end when everything is pretty much done and dusted the commentator's start giving out and saying what they really think :D I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Marty is trying to be Terry Wogan and i liked the Romanian song but actually enjoyed this years Eurovision as fotr Niamh she is still huge in Turkey

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Azerbaijan is not a one party state. The reason behind the questioning was pretty evident considering that there is an ongoing war with Armenia that has occupied 20% of our lands. It was therefore done in the interest of national security.
    Oh dear... need for questioning people who voted for a country in a song contest in the interests of national security.

When you guys stop doing that I'll happily consider visiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Pittens wrote: »
    Oh I think we should all aim to be bitter self-hating bores who want to read massive political importance into a fun song contest, and throws his toys out of the pram because we lost. Real reason. Not a great song.

Niamh Kavanagh was only number 20 in the IRISH charts. I mean, if we really want to win the song should be number 1 in Ireland. Why should other countries like a song that we don't?

I sick of all the sore loser talk. Germany were better than us. Niamh Kavanagh is a good singer, but the song was terrible. Other countries send some of their most popular bands and songs written by their best song writers.

If we really want to win we would need to send an act thats actually popular in Ireland. Someone like Snow Patrol or Neil Hannon. (I doubt Snow Patrol would enter, but Neil Hannon would be perfect given the Father Ted thing and I'd say he'd be up for the laugh).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Pot wrote:
    Marty is trying to be Terry Wogan and i liked the Romanian song but actually enjoyed this years Eurovision as fotr Niamh she is still huge in Turkey
    I think shes huge wherever she goes. Meeowww!

I had a little wager with my russian friend that ireland would finish higher than russia. After comparing the 2 entries, i was on to a sure thing. I mean the russian entry was arguably the worst song on show, but each of their previous states always gifted it with 8-12 points. It was even booed when that happened. I am sickened and 3 euro poorer.

But after all the nepotism of voting had settled, the best song did win tonight so there is still hope. Next years song will have to be some spectacle from us if we even want to come close though

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

This was one of the contenders to represent Ireland this year.

Ok, the song isn't amazing, but it's moving in the right direction. Good looking girl who can move. Someone posted the video of Leanne Moore who was also a contender. She can't dance. She can do coordinated stepping from side to side and forwards and backwards but she isn't a natural dancer. We need a singer and someone who can move.

Of course that will never happen as long as we have Johnny Logan, Dana and Linda Martin pushing the ballad. They, along with Niamh, belong to a different era of Eurovision and need to realise that and move on. (Also, they annoy the crap out of me and the less I have to see of them the better.)

There has to be someone in (or out of) this country who can write a decent, upbeat, catchy song. Or is it just that RTÉ use people from the old era of Eurovision to choose the contenders? They're bound to ignore anything that would have a chance of doing well.

Anyway, well done to Niamh. She sang well. And thanks for the thread. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭halkar

How Eurovision works : :D

eurovisionblocvotinghd0.jpg

Advertisement