Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin or bust...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Wednesday
    4 miles easy on the grass in the park. Nice warm dry evening. Ran at a comfortable pace, which turned out to be about pmp - which is a satisfying thing with 4 days to go to the big day!

Horror of horrors! Got out of the shower this evening to see one of my toe-nails just about to come off! :eek: Ugh!! It's been 'dead' for a while now, but the thoughts of it just being 'gone' is ...not nice. :( No sandals for me for a while. Looking on the bright side, at least the summer is over?

Not having a nail won't affect my running, will it? :rolleyes:

Summary:
    4.13 miles in 40:22 minutes
    Avg Pace: 09:46 min/mi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Emer911 wrote: »
    Wednesday
    4 miles easy on the grass in the park. Nice warm dry evening. Ran at a comfortable pace, which turned out to be about pmp - which is a satisfying thing with 4 days to go to the big day!

Horror of horrors! Got out of the shower this evening to see one of my toe-nails just about to come off! :eek: Ugh!! It's been 'dead' for a while now, but the thoughts of it just being 'gone' is ...not nice. :( No sandals for me for a while. Looking on the bright side, at least the summer is over?

Summary:
    4.13 miles in 40:22 minutes
    Avg Pace: 09:46 min/mi

Your first nail falling off is a special moment for all distance runners. Have a glass of wine, relax, and enjoy the experience.

Girlie friends of mine paint nail varnish on the nail-less toe, and wear sandals. Me, I wash the wound, then wear sandals to scare small children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

When my first toenail came off there was a nice shiny new one already there in its place. Mind you nearly a year had passed since the first toe blackening incident. Toenail gone was much more comfortable to run with than toenail there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

LOL, happened to me too last week and I am so relieved. Have had a few weddings lately and sick of having to paint over the blackness with dark nail varnish. Although another wedding coming up soon and not sure what to do - new nail is only starting to grow so do I paint over skin :eek:

BTW well done on the run this eve, good to hear calf and allergy reaction turned out ok.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Girlie friends of mine paint nail varnish on the nail-less toe, and wear sandals. Me, I wash the wound, then wear sandals to scare small children.

SloggerJogger or beepbeep? Which one is it? :pac:

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info on the nails... Good to know I'm not alone (the clown has never lost a nail yet, and he runs MUCH more than I do - one up for me? :D)

Problem is, it's still 'hanging on by a thread', so to speak.
    So - straw poll - do I just pull it, or what? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Thanks for the info on the nails... Good to know I'm not alone (the clown has never lost a nail yet, and he runs MUCH more than I do - one up for me? :D)

Problem is, it's still 'hanging on by a thread', so to speak.
    So - straw poll - do I just pull it, or what? :p
    Bend it one way and bend it the other and eventually it will be a clean break.........One less toe to get an ingrown toenail anyway......

Bend it one way and bend it the other and eventually it will be a clean break.........One less toe to get an ingrown toenail anyway......

+1 thats what I had to do. Mine was hanging off and got caught in the towel after shower...it freaked the crap out of me. So I had to pull it off. TMI...sorry but you did ask :D

Yip. That did the trick. All gone now.
    ...and there's a baby nail there underneath waiting to get big and strong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yuck. I've never lost a nail, because I'm a 'normal'. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Same here, even though I was honestly terrified that I was going to be the 8-toenail-ed wonder after DCM last year. (thought I felt one lift on my left foot at mile 23, one on my right at mile 25 - turned out it was blisters that were very close to the nail)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Me either, not so much as a bruise under my toenails, but I do keep them well trimmed and make sure that there's enough space at the front when I buy a new pair of shoes. Although I am a little jealous, it's like a rite of passage for a distance runner. Does that mean I'm not really a runner? Am I just a jogger?

Last time it happened to me was after Connemara '09, lost around 6 of them then. Better fitting shoes has probably helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I feel all left out too - never lost one. Its gonna be motivation to run for longer until one falls off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

Best of luck on Sunday, are you heading to the post-race meeting as suggested by Krusty?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

xebec wrote: »
    Although I am a little jealous, it's like a rite of passage for a distance runner.

Yeah, but so are bleeding nips and vomiting and/or collapsing as you cross the finish line. There are some clubs I'm happy not to join, thanks all the same.

Best of luck on Sunday. Enjoy the experience, you've got some incredible training behind you, you'll do great. I wish I was running a marathon on Sunday. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Have a good trip and good luck Sunday. With the consistency of your training you look well set - I doubt you'll actually need the luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

best of luck and enjoy the experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Great consistant training from you Emer. Best of luck in Berlin. Well done on losing your toenail virginity, that's one up you have on Mr. Emer911.

• Advertisement

Best of luck on Sunday Emer; you'll do great. Your training has gone really well and you're well able for it so make sure to enjoy the experience (and the post race session too) :)
    I look forward to seeing your report next week.

Enough on the toe nails!

At the airport. Massive queue for security...let the games begin!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Enjoy yourself!! Looking forward to the report :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Best of luck - looking forward to the read.

Congrats on the first marthon Emer. I'm looking forward to the report and your next one! :pac:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

and your next one! :pac:
    Too soon to suggest Barcelona? :pac:

Congrats Emer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done Emer,a great run in awful conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

good goin Emer , you should feel proud of that preformance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Brilliant run Emer! I'm absolutely delighted for you! I hope you're enjoying those beers. Looking forward to the report!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Congrats, well done. :D

Advertisement